Photo

Personal photos from historic festivals

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#301 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 17:25

A lovely car, I wonder if any were sold over the week-end?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#302 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 20:17

Some of my photos for your enjoyment :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#303 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 20:52

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I am not mistaken Cars International is Paul Osbourne who was the financial advisor to James Martin on that Mille Miglia TV programme with the late 40s Maserati which went out last Christmas.

#304 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 21:10

I wonder supplies/tunes the engines Richard? Maybe it has a Bartz or Morand, as they did back in the day...............

#305 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,092 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:59

This is from the Lola website:
"Prices begin at £199,000GBP for a rolling chassis complete with Hewland LG600 gearbox, one set of wheels and tyres and all safety equipment and fittings required enabling eligibility for racing. Customers engines supplied prior to build will be fitted at no additional cost."

Lola website

They are talking about a 305cui chevy smallblock with up to 450hp....what about a 427 or even a 495...just wondering.

Edited by Duc-Man, 27 May 2009 - 09:03.

#306 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 874 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 22:07

Ok I'll do my best to suggest fence free spots of my favourite circuit; but to be honest if the light is right, the lens is long enought and you are close enough to the fence. It doesn't really get in the way that much as the closer object is so out of focus it doesn't register.

Here goes:

The inside of the run up to and run out of Druids are excellent places as you can shoot all kinds of compositions. Outside you can shoot over the fencing at Paddock Hill and again on the run down to Bottom Bend. (There used to be a really good little spot just past the footbridge on the run up to druids but they moved the fence back a coupl of feet and the angle has gone with it)

Surtees let's you shoot from above the cars. The outside of Hawthorns can be reached with a five minute stroll down a track that runs between it and the rally stage. I've had some good results from inside of Hawthorns and also Westfield. Dingle Dell is a good challenge and again there's no fencing to get in the way of a good shot. the run out from Sheen to Stirling's is a good spot and as long as the rescue vehicles aren't parked badly you can get a good rearward shot of the action on the exit rumble strip. walking around to wards the road bridge you are alongside the track but oyu do need a bit of height to get clear shots. JP has even had a spectator bank put in to assist that. once back tat the bridge the exit of surtees can If you get high enough provide some good images.

Clearways and Clark curve all have "spots" but they tend to be busy; especially the photo hole. If it's the Indy circuit then the esses that form Surtees and Mclaren give good opportunities if you stand on the bank near the bridge near the end of clearways; or on the inside of Surtees if you want rearward facing images.

I think that's all unless I've missed a few tricks.

I agree with all of the above, the only thing I would add is that I tend to choose those spots at different times of the day to take account of the sun.

I photograph head on into Druids, inside exit of Druids, outside of Paddock, inside of Surtees and the outside of Hawthorns in the morning. Head on at Clearways, outside of Surtees, outside at the exit of Druids and exit of Stirlings in the afternoon as this generally gives a better exposure.

David

#307 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,238 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:24

That's very true, mind you Stirling's can give up some pretty strong images in the morning as well. I think it depends what you are looking for

#308 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:23

Although not a festival as such, the annual HSCC Autosport 3-hour race at Snetterton for GT & Sports-racing cars, is fast becoming a 'must do' event for owners and drivers of these cars. Yet again tremendous weather for the event, held on Saturday, with other superb HSCC races supporting over the weekend.

Sadly a very depleted Derek Bell Trophy field of F5000s & F2s. Only 3 F5000 starters on Sunday, despite 8 cars there, due to breakages on Saturday or in the Sunday warm-up. We sometimes forget they were very fragile in period too! The 40 car 3-hour entry more than made up for it, terrific racing.
Some of my shots of the 3 hour race here:
http://andrewkitson1...t/c1706078.html
Shots of F5000s etc here:
http://andrewkitson1...t/c1706160.html

Edited by Andrew Kitson, 01 June 2009 - 14:06.

#309 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 19:39

Here's an oddity seen at Snetterton: it was a new one on me but no doubt someone here will immediately give chapter and verse...
Posted Image

#310 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 20:00

Although not a festival as such, the annual HSCC Autosport 3-hour race at Snetterton for GT & Sports-racing cars, is fast becoming a 'must do' event for owners and drivers of these cars. Yet again tremendous weather for the event, held on Saturday, with other superb HSCC races supporting over the weekend.

I read in Autosport that Jack Sears daughter Suzanne was taking part sharing an MGB with James Patterson and Mike Bell............any news on that ?

#311 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:01

Here's an oddity seen at Snetterton: it was a new one on me but no doubt someone here will immediately give chapter and verse...

I spotted that one a couple of times last year. According to the prog it is an FJ Fairthorpe, raced by Les Ely who usually races E-types and classic saloons.

Richard, it was nice to meet up with Suzanne again at Snett, racing her MGB with her partner James and Mike Bell. Father Jack was away on holiday but brother David, GP2 team boss, was there giving his support. She has raced for a while now, usually at the wheel of James' multi-coloured Morgan affectionately known as 'Noddy'.
Suzanne can be seen going out to start the race in this photo:
http://andrewkitson1.../p58648290.html

Edited by Andrew Kitson, 02 June 2009 - 07:04.

#312 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,636 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:25

I spotted that one a couple of times last year. According to the prog it is an FJ Fairthorpe, raced by Les Ely who usually races E-types and classic saloons.

IIRC it emerged at Goodwood a few seasons back. It was not raced, or indeed fully built in period, but Ron Welsh IIRC, acquired the the chassis and various parts from that FJ hero and saver of lost marques, Duncan Rabagliati, who had had it in one of his many lockups for many years. Not a star performer IIRC, but beautifully turned out and nice to see, and representative of something different from the right period
Roger Lund

#313 Macca

Macca

• 3,351 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:08

Fascinating to see the Lotus 35-Martin V8 in your photos, Andrew - here is a picture from the paddock at Brands in 1967 that I found on another forum:

Posted Image

Here's a picture of it at Mallory on Boxing Day 1966:

Posted Image

and here is probably the only model of it (the exhausts are wrong, I know) with a similarly unique model of the Pearce-Martin V8:

Posted Image

:stoned:

Paul M

#314 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:18

IIRC it emerged at Goodwood a few seasons back. It was not raced, or indeed fully built in period, but Ron Welsh IIRC, acquired the the chassis and various parts from that FJ hero and saver of lost marques, Duncan Rabagliati, who had had it in one of his many lockups for many years. Not a star performer IIRC, but beautifully turned out and nice to see, and representative of something different from the right period
Roger Lund

Yes, Ron Welsh is the owner, and on Sunday Les Ely extended the car's record from 50 years ago of DNFs. However he did manage eight laps, so things are looking up! :up:

#315 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:43

Yes, Ron Welsh is the owner, and on Sunday Les Ely extended the car's record from 50 years ago of DNFs. However he did manage eight laps, so things are looking up! :up:

It looks quite neat from side-on, from Snett on Sunday:
Posted Image

Les also gave us a twirl so we could see it from all angles (sorry about pic quality):
Posted Image

#316 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,839 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:51

The Fairthorpe FJ design looks very much like a Clubmans layout with the engine alongside the driver's legs.

:wave:

#317 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 749 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 13:11

Just wonderd, given the subject of this thread, if anyone had any pics from the Motor 100 event at Silverstone in 1985? :wave:

#318 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 13:26

Posted Image

:cool:

Edited by elansprint72, 07 June 2009 - 10:07.

#319 barrykm

barrykm

• 435 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:47

Posted Image

Posted Image

:love: :love:

Advertisement

#320 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 140 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:21

Mine from Brands Hatch are here (sorry about the delay):

Don't forget we have a TNF group on Flickr, by the way.

I'm very interested in the photography comments on this thread - but I don't want to encourage too much thread drift. Would it be appropriate to start a "motor racing photography" thread, or doesn't that belong on TNF?

#321 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 215 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 14:02

Mine from Brands Hatch are here (sorry about the delay):

Don't forget we have a TNF group on Flickr, by the way.

I'm very interested in the photography comments on this thread - but I don't want to encourage too much thread drift. Would it be appropriate to start a "motor racing photography" thread, or doesn't that belong on TNF?

Magical images you have captured there, Russell - I thought they looked familiar, as I found them on flickr earlier. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Take care
Peter

#322 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,238 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:17

There's a couple of pretty healthy threads in the paddock club that some of us post in to discuss photographs. Though the first one is primarily non motorsport

Photographers II

the second one showcases other sports as well as motor racing

Sports and Action Photographers

#323 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:30

There's a couple of pretty healthy threads in the paddock club that some of us post in to discuss photographs. Though the first one is primarily non motorsport

Photographers II

the second one showcases other sports as well as motor racing

Sports and Action Photographers

Members only, and I'm not begging to join anything. :well:

#324 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 21:48

Not a race car in sight but quite a place to watch them from. :)

Posted Image

#325 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:43

Armed with my new digital camera this weekend at La Sarthe I attempted to negotiate the fences and a huge crowd ( Most of whom of course went home happy :) )

Some snaps from the Masters race.....

Posted Image

Class of course is permanent; Theodor Charagionis in his Elite S2 admires Sir Stirling Moss as he guides his Osca FS 372 through the Esses

Posted Image

Last year Justin Laws times in his Silk Cut Jaguar would have seen him in the midfield of the actual 24 Hours. Not quite so fast this time in the Jaguar Lister GT, however he enthralled the crowd dicing furiously with Carlos Monteverde in his Ferrari 250 LM

Posted Image

Alain Gawski HBR Panhard Barquette fends off the attentions of Tony Pickering ( Osca Mk 4 )

Posted Image

Tim Rogers in his Austin Healey 100/6 is seconds away from blasting down the Mulsanne Straight

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 15 June 2009 - 13:07.

#326 gilbylt3

gilbylt3

• 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:31

Armed with my new digital camera this weekend at La Sarthe I attempted to negotiate the fences and a huge crowd ( Most of whom of course went home happy :) )

Some snaps from the Masters race.....

Posted Image

Class of course is permanent; Theodor Charagionis in his Elite S2 admires Sir Stirling Moss as he guides his Osca FS 372 through the Esses

Posted Image

Last year Justin Laws times in his Silk Cut Jaguar would have seen him in the midfield of the actual 24 Hours. Not quite so fast this time in the Jaguar Lister GT, however he enthralled the crowd dicing furiously with Carlos Monteverde in his Ferrari 250 LM

Posted Image

Honore Durand in his DB Barquette HBR fends off the attentions of Tony Pickering ( Osca Mk 4 )

Posted Image

Tim Rogers in his Austin Healey 100/6 is seconds away from blasting down the Mulsanne Straight

PAR

#327 gilbylt3

gilbylt3

• 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:33

Alain GAWSKI at the wheel of the HBR PANHARD barquette

#328 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 13:08

Alain GAWSKI at the wheel of the HBR PANHARD barquette

Many thanks I have edited my original post.....

PAR

#329 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,238 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:11

Elansprint, you don't have to beg just ask Pit-Babe she's usually pretty nice to people

Edited by philhitchings, 16 June 2009 - 07:12.

#330 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:21

Elansprint, you don't have to beg just ask Pit-Babe she's usually pretty nice to people

While it can in the main be fun and thought provoking on the " Paddock Club " :)

PAR

#331 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:36

Hmmmmm. ;)

He we are in the pit lane at LMC 06, damn it was hot!

Posted Image

And up the hill it was even hotter.

Posted Image

Edited by elansprint72, 16 June 2009 - 11:40.

#332 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:54

Posted Image

#333 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 17:05

Super pictures....looks like someone has been off into the gravel trap at the Dunlop Chicane and deposited stones all over the road :)

PAR

#334 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 17:18

The Lola Aston Martins were quite a hit this year at Le Mans

However they had a lot to live up to........

Posted Image

The DB2 of Andrew Sharp and the crossed up Project 124 of Martin Brewer in a Alpine A110 sandwich with Henri Stepak

Posted Image

While the DB3 of Mark Midgley and Adrian Johnson enjoys a drive in the French countryside

PAR

#335 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:53

A couple more Astons.......

Posted Image

The Tom Alexander Aston Martin DB4GT

Posted Image

While the similar car of Peter Thornton and David Garrett exhibit what has in the past been called "press on mode "

#336 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 15:48

Posted Image

The DB2 of Andrew Sharp and the crossed up Project 124 of Martin Brewer in a Alpine A110 sandwich with Henri Stepak

PAR

I reckon its an Alpine A210 sandwich :wave:

#337 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 20:55

One or 20 more from last weekend...

Posted Image
Life in the fast lean - the Mason/Knill-Jones Alfa TZ1 and the winning 250LM of Carlos Monteverde.

Posted Image
The Williams/Anson 911 does a passable impression of a Toyota TF109. Or a McLaren MP4-24.

Posted Image
Whose line is it anyway? The Durand/Gawski DB Barquette and Chris Jolly's DB2.

Posted Image
Going, going...

Posted Image
...decidedly gone.

Posted Image
Queue branch.

Posted Image
Sterling might be struggling, but Stirling isn't.

Posted Image
The Slider - the seventh T Rex album and a perfect summary of Ewan McIntyre (Lotus 15) as he pursues Julian Bronson's Lister Costin.

Posted Image
Veerer Lynn - Shaun of that ilk hops over the kerbs during a bout with the Bronson Lister.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Panning permission - from the top, Harry Leventis (Ferrari 206), Ben Eastick (D-type), the Strauss/Birrell Elva Mk7S and the Chapman/Thurgood MGA Mille Miglia.

Posted Image
Wrong...

Posted Image
...slightly less wrong, but still not very fast.

Posted Image
Andrew Sharp (DB2) and a few trees.

Posted Image
Austin power - the Healey 3000 of Christiaen van Lanchot fends off Henri Stepak's A210.

Posted Image
Carlos whispers - Monteverde heads towards victory.

Posted Image
Barry Sidery-Smith has been racing MGBs since Jules Goux was cramming for his baccalauréat. Possibly.

Posted Image
Knobbly styles.

#338 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 21:46

regarding Elva no. 64 - is the car so small, or the driver so tall? One of the two looks decidedly out of scale ...

#339 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 21:55

regarding Elva no. 64 - is the car so small, or the driver so tall? One of the two looks decidedly out of scale ...

Lovely set of photos. :cool:

Advertisement

#340 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,839 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:53

The Elva is quiet small. People are taller. It's a 1 + 1 = 2 scenario. I do think the Elva is a lovely little car but I would prefer the Cobra!

Nice photos Simon. :clap:

#341 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 18:34

The Elva is quiet small. People are taller. It's a 1 + 1 = 2 scenario. I do think the Elva is a lovely little car but I would prefer the Cobra!

Nice photos Simon. :clap:

yes, lovely photos and lovely cars. I think I'd prefer the Elva to the Cobra, these things always scare me a little bit.

#342 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 23:08

One or two snaps from the only event with proper suspension movement at Silverstone last weekend...

Posted Image
Kevin Kivlochan (AC Cobra) and Andrew Garner (Lister Costin sans roll-hoop).

Posted Image

Posted Image
You wait half an hour for one Minshaw to turn up, then two arrive at once... Alan's Chevon B8 and Jon's Lola T70.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Simply red - Shaun Lynn's Ferrari 512S and the CanAm 712 of Paul Knapfield.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cruel for Cats - Gary Pearson's E-type managed a few laps before the RAC had to be called to sort things out. Chris Ball (GT40) and Julian Bronson (McLaren M1B) pass by.

Posted Image
The Renault Trafic and Mercedes Sprinter don't appear to be putting him under any pressure, but Bill Shepherd still felt the kerbs were worth using.

Posted Image
Andrew Schryver demonstrates the art of controlled power oversteer.

Posted Image
Les Ely doesn't...

Posted Image

Posted Image
..and nor does Paul Castaldini.

Edited by Simon Arron, 23 June 2009 - 05:27.

#343 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:37

Posted Image

Posted Image
..and nor does Paul Castaldini.

I know it is a E-Type coupe I've never seen before. Anything about the history of it?

Great shots! I love those Ferrari 512 & 712. A shame they were such a failure at the time...

#344 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:47

Lovely stuff, Simon. Nice to see that Shaun Lynn has bought himself a Ferrari to add to his Cobra/GT40/Galaxie/Lister Jaguar etc... collection. Lucky man - and a nice bloke, to boot.

#345 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 749 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:15

Hi everyone!

Super pics indeed. Didn't get to the BGP this year due to (long-time) prior work commitments. Was it a Matra MS80 that Sir Jackie demonstrated?

Also. Does anyone have any pics from Silverstone's "Motor 100" event in 1985?

#346 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,839 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:19

Posted Image
The Renault Trafic and Mercedes Sprinter don't appear to be putting him under any pressure, but Bill Shepherd still felt the kerbs were worth using.

Yes, but give them half a chance and they would be up for it! :rotfl:

#347 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,735 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:26

Was it a Matra MS80 that Sir Jackie demonstrated?

It was indeed, but, sadly, he couldn't do the demo dressed in his period overalls. Their fate is explained in Autosport.com's Silverstone grapevine:

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/76482

Edited by Tim Murray, 23 June 2009 - 09:28.

#348 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,207 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:49

...and the rest...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd love to send the Stephen Langton picture to his daughter, superb

#349 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 22:43

While photo evidence from this weekend's Festival of Speed abounds on its own thread, let me take you back 12 years (surely it can't be that long ago) to the 1997 incarnation, when a truly stunning collection of cars came over from the USA, including virtually all of Jim Hall's Chaparral collection, while an unassuming New Zealander made his first (and is it, to date, his only visit?).

Posted Image
Jim Hall fettles the 2F
Posted Image
The 2J 'Sucker' makes its way to the start
Posted Image
The business end of the 2J
Posted Image
Chris Amon drove the Matra MS120D and the Ferrari 312/67
Posted Image
Youngsters who weren't even born when he raced seek the maestro's autograph
Posted Image
Posted Image
Fellow Kiwi Paul Radisich and one of his heroes
Posted Image
Jimmy Bryan's 1957 Two Worlds Trophy-winning Dean Van Lines Special - Bill Sproele at the wheel
Posted Image
The Bobby Johns' team-mate to Clark's winning Lotus 38 (38/4)
Posted Image
Walter Goodwin at the wheel - with an out-of-scale, modern helmet
Posted Image
Richard Drewett's Lotus 29 - Dan Gurney's 1963 Indy qualifying car
Posted Image
Augie Pabst and Jim Hall
Posted Image
86-year old Bill Milliken with the Miller-Offy four-wheel drive which he raced in the 40s
Posted Image
The eyes have it - Rene Arnoux

Edited by Alan Cox, 04 July 2009 - 22:55.

#350 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 23:35

From the HSCC Superprix at Brands Hatch...

Posted Image
Hart beat: Doug and his March 75S.

Posted Image
Bachman Turner Overdrive: Dick Coffey.

Posted Image
Chris Lillingston-Price (Tecno T70).

Posted Image
Premise..

Posted Image
...conclusion.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Porsche spice x2.

Posted Image
Man on bike wonders whether he could lap faster than an Osella FA1.

Posted Image
Battle axis: Richard Piper (Lola T332), Peter Dunn (March 73A) and Neil Glover (Lola T330/2).

Posted Image
Bolton wonder: John Sykes's Chevron B9.