Photo

Personal photos from historic festivals

• Please log in to reply
1490 replies to this topic

#401 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 14:57

Alan, was that Paul Samuels' 15 behind them or Don Shead's car? Or have I got it wrong ?
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#402 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 15:03

the 2009 Historic Sandown
Posted Image [img] Powloo

What is this red car, please?
Roger Lund

#403 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,510 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 15:45

Alan, was that Paul Samuels' 15 behind them or Don Shead's car? Or have I got it wrong ?
Roger Lund

Your first guess is correct, Roger.

A few more photos from 1989/90

Three cars which exercised Willie Green - First, Ludovic Lindsay's Turtle Drilling Special Indy roadster...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
.....the JCB D Type pressing on round Old Hall....
Posted Image
....and the Norm Olson Special Indy roadster...
Posted Image
...which turned out the following April at Silverstone with former GP driver Guy Edwards at the wheel
Posted Image
American Don Orosco was a welcome visitor with his Scarab sports car and single-seater
Posted Image
Always nice to see more than one BRM on the grid - Donington September 1989
Posted Image
Posted Image
Rupert Keegan's brother, Jeremy, doesn't seem to quite have the hang of his Cooper
Posted Image

#404 Powloo

Powloo

• 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 22:15

What is this red car, please?
Roger Lund

Hi Roger,

The car is a 1953 MM Special built in Melbourne by Lou Molina, Silvio Massola and Brian Burnett. It was put together using bits from an HRG and powered by a six cylinder ‘Grey’ Holden motor.

Cheers

Paul

#405 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 22:28

Your first guess is correct, Roger.

A few more photos from 1989/90

Alan; lovely set of photos; if ever a circuit were less suited to Indy roadster, Oulton would have to be it. Apart from Cadwell. Or Longridge.

:stoned:

Edited by elansprint72, 18 November 2009 - 22:28.

#406 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,510 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:49

Thank you for your kind comment, Pete. And remember that these historic roadsters have only two gears - one for "start" and one for "go"!

#407 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 19:51

The car is a 1953 MM Special built in Melbourne by Lou Molina, Silvio Massola and Brian Burnett. It was put together using bits from an HRG and powered by a six cylinder ‘Grey’ Holden motor.

Paul, Many thanks
RL

#408 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,387 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:43

The Sandown Historic racing event took place this past weekend and a diverse range of cars from the past many decades were on (high speed) display.

My images of the event are posted at the following link for anyone who'd like to have a look: Sandown Historic event images 2009

enjoy!

Great pics. But what are those Biante cars doing there? They are just modern hotrods, not historic at all except the silouhettes [and some of the drivers]

#409 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 134 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:26

Lovely photos.

[quote name='Alan Cox' post='4000147' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:22']Aston Martin Owners' Club Oulton Park October 1990

Edited by Belmondo, 20 November 2009 - 08:28.

#410 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 134 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:29

Either Brian Classic or Nick Faure I think in the DB3S coupe behind the Scarab.

#411 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 215 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 15:38

Great pics. But what are those Biante cars doing there? They are just modern hotrods, not historic at all except the silouhettes [and some of the drivers]

Thanks Lee

I'm no expert on what's under the skin of them, but they look like historics, they sound like historics and they handle like they surely did in their era! They didn't seem at all out of place at Sandown and, if anything, the racing among some of these guys, was as intense as anything I saw there.

It was the first time I've seen these cars in the flesh and they were exciting to watch and photograph. The highlight was watching Gavin Bullas on the limit, fighting off the contant onslaught from Jim Richards, whose well honed experience makes one realize that his age is barely a limitation - if at all. Clearly he doesn't think so and his performances in other cars against much younger talent pretty much confirms this. Watching these two racing each other flat chat, without respite or any ugliness - at least from where I was watching - the word that kept coming to mind was 'respect'!

Take care
Peter

Edited by Speedy27, 20 November 2009 - 15:39.

#412 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 00:07

Thanks Lee

I'm no expert on what's under the skin of them, but they look like historics, they sound like historics and they handle like they surely did in their era! They didn't seem at all out of place at Sandown and, if anything, the racing among some of these guys, was as intense as anything I saw there.

It was the first time I've seen these cars in the flesh and they were exciting to watch and photograph. The highlight was watching Gavin Bullas on the limit, fighting off the contant onslaught from Jim Richards, whose well honed experience makes one realize that his age is barely a limitation - if at all. Clearly he doesn't think so and his performances in other cars against much younger talent pretty much confirms this. Watching these two racing each other flat chat, without respite or any ugliness - at least from where I was watching - the word that kept coming to mind was 'respect'!

Take care
Peter

Their racing is good, and quite clean. It is just that the cars are about as historic as an 90s Nascar. It is that style of mechanicals that they are using for the most part. Plus it is another 'franchise' type deal that makes it a rich boys racing division.

#413 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,510 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:41

Either Brian Classic or Nick Faure I think in the DB3S coupe behind the Scarab.

It is Nick Faure

#414 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 14:00

FWIW there is some excellent in-car footage with NF in the DB3S Coupe in the original video for the inaugural Christies', later Coys, Silverstone meeting around that same time. Mixing it with the class of the field it shows the superior handling of that car, but the distinct lack of power. NF's driving prowess is without doubt.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 21 November 2009 - 14:01.

#415 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 19:26

Roger - is that the car John raced at Dubai in 1981? If so I have some great footage of him battling with Dad in the Lola T70.

Gregor, my M1C was at that event - Dubai Grand Prix - December 4th 1981 according to the history files. My car was owned by Malcolm Clubbe at the time but it is not clear who drove mine at the Dubai event. It may be that there were 2 M1Cs - Clubbe and another for Foulston/Brindley. Or Foulston/Brindley drove mine as Foulston did drive it at another point in it's history. Unfortunately there are no results from that event. Perhaps if you have results we would be able to determine exactly. Of course it would be great to add these to the files and also to see the footage at some point.

Best regards,

Roger

#416 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,247 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 14:38

Roger - have sent you a PM.

#417 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 15:21

by Malcolm Clubbe at the time

Which reminds me that I bumped into the irrespressible Malcolm at the Festival of Speed, still with his customary greeting. "Dear boy, do I owe you money?" Still the marvellous larger-than-life character, still wearing odd socks, one red, one green, from memory. We reminisced about his pioneering bunjee jump from the top of a very tall crane at Thruxton in '84 at a Modena Eng. Ferrari track day. The first one did not work so well so he did another, straight after lunch..........Sadly I have mislaid the photographs.
Roger Lund

#418 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,510 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 18:45

Having scanned these two pics for another purpose, I thought I may as well post them here, as there hasn't been much mention recently of Angouleme on TNF

One of the delights of French 'old car' events is the way that the gendarmerie turn a blind eye to the lack of mudguards on pre-war cars. A group of Bugattis assemble outside the Hotel du Palais before setting off on the Saturday rally
Posted Image
Long-time 'Remparts' supporter, Parisian Karine Blanchard with her type 37
Posted Image

#419 RTH

RTH

• 5,704 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 19:49

Which reminds me that I bumped into the irrespressible Malcolm at the Festival of Speed, still with his customary greeting. "Dear boy, do I owe you money?" Still the marvellous larger-than-life character, still wearing odd socks, one red, one green, from memory. We reminisced about his pioneering bunjee jump from the top of a very tall crane at Thruxton in '84 at a Modena Eng. Ferrari track day. The first one did not work so well so he did another, straight after lunch..........Sadly I have mislaid the photographs.
Roger Lund

Is he well Roger? We got to know Malcolm in the thundersports days and the British Heart foundation annual event in Nov each year at Snetterton at north London motor trade premises. Especially mid 80s -90

There was a period when whatever event you went to, be it a race Meeting a historic rally, a classic or racing car auction or event just at other peoples premises you would bump in to Malcolm, he was everywhere, lovely bloke full of fun and humour often on a big motorcycle often I think a Ducati.He once said to me he was off to put a unique 1920s aero engined Rolls Royce in to the sultan of Brunei for " Half a Bar " A hat with a foxes tail and the fluorescent socks ! Hope he is well.

Advertisement

#420 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:38

Long-time 'Remparts' supporter, Parisian Karine Blanchard with her type 37
Posted Image

Alan that is a delightful image. It has a a sort of classic motor racing poster feel to it.

#421 RickT

RickT

• 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:23

Hi Roger

I compiled the history folder of your M1C when Graham owned it, I am fairly sure that Malcolm drove that car himself at Dubai. The M1 that Brindley drove in the same race was not the Clube car.

I know complete histories for both your M1's, so contact me if you need any help with them. I could probably do a folder for your M1B similar in size to the one you have for the Clube car ! Check out my website w w w autotuneuk dot com.

Cheers
Richard Taylor

#422 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,510 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:49

Alan that is a delightful image. It has a a sort of classic motor racing poster feel to it.

Thank you, Phil. One of the many delights of Angouleme is the (virtually) unchanged scenery since the first event in 1939

#423 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,529 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 13:50

Is he well Roger?

Richard, just as you recall him, so he was when I met him. The chap is a real one-off.
RL

#424 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 19:46

I have a plea.

Does anyone have pictures from the HSCC Failsafe Historic GT races at Silverstone 8 Apr 1985 or Brands 9 Jun 1985?

I've been corresponding with Ray Bellm about his Chevron B19s and I'm trying to get a picture of his car from those two races. Ray tells me it was in red/white/green colours and had Waspeze logos. I don't need a very good quality picture - just anything that will show me what it looked like.

Thanks
Allen

#425 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 134 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:09

Allen, I may have photos of this car from HSCC Brands 1985. But they're in storage and it might be a week or two before I can scan them.

Bellm won another race that day in a Williams FW08, in the wet, I remember.

Phil

I have a plea.

Does anyone have pictures from the HSCC Failsafe Historic GT races at Silverstone 8 Apr 1985 or Brands 9 Jun 1985?

I've been corresponding with Ray Bellm about his Chevron B19s and I'm trying to get a picture of his car from those two races. Ray tells me it was in red/white/green colours and had Waspeze logos. I don't need a very good quality picture - just anything that will show me what it looked like.

Thanks
Allen

#426 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 17:19

Is he well Roger? We got to know Malcolm in the thundersports days and the British Heart foundation annual event in Nov each year at Snetterton at north London motor trade premises. Especially mid 80s -90

There was a period when whatever event you went to, be it a race Meeting a historic rally, a classic or racing car auction or event just at other peoples premises you would bump in to Malcolm, he was everywhere, lovely bloke full of fun and humour often on a big motorcycle often I think a Ducati.He once said to me he was off to put a unique 1920s aero engined Rolls Royce in to the sultan of Brunei for " Half a Bar " A hat with a foxes tail and the fluorescent socks ! Hope he is well.

He is in great form - probably the funniest man in motorsport. Along with Bondini a great character although a tad more reliable... two great members of Dad's Army

#427 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,539 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:01

Posted Image

2009 Bo'ness Revival Hill Climb and Martin Spencer in the wonderful Spider II bursts into the Courtyard

:wave:

#428 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 21:30

Le Mans Classic 08, under "the" clock. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by elansprint72, 11 January 2010 - 21:34.

#429 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 21:50

Yellow flag in black and white!

Posted Image

#430 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,117 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 23:58

Funny that I've not managed to post in this thread over the two-ish years it's been here-all of my photos are from historic festivals. I wasn't there at the time!

Three shots of the ex-Stewart Lola T-260, taken at Road America in 2008

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-WDH

#431 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 21:52

Funny that I've not managed to post in this thread over the two-ish years it's been here-all of my photos are from historic festivals. I wasn't there at the time!

Three shots of the ex-Stewart Lola T-260, taken at Road America in 2008

Posted Image

-WDH

At the time I always wondered how much power was lost by not using an air-box (presumably the rules prevented it?). Say that car is doing 150 mph, just imagine the suction effect trying to extract air from those stacks vs. the air being dragged in by the pistons.
Thanks for posting these photos. Any more?

#432 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 21:58

The other side of the fence.

Posted Image

Le Mans Classic 08.

#433 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,025 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:42

At the time I always wondered how much power was lost by not using an air-box (presumably the rules prevented it?). Say that car is doing 150 mph, just imagine the suction effect trying to extract air from those stacks vs. the air being dragged in by the pistons.
Thanks for posting these photos. Any more?

Well Jim Hall used partially an air-box on his Chaparral 2G, Bob Nagel had one on his Lola T260 in '72 and I think the Ferrari 712 had one too. So that looks like it was allowed.
But you're right. Why did nobody else do it?

#434 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,186 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 16:55

Would it have had a negative effect on temperature?

#435 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 19:10

Posted Image

Terry Fullertons Lola T330 i believe

Posted Image

BRM P153

Edited by petestenning, 23 January 2010 - 19:23.

#436 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 19:15

Posted Image

Bo Warmelius March F2 car 772?

#437 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 19:31

Posted Image

Posted Image

BRM P153

Peter i won't be pickie but i think it's Bruce Fullerton's

#438 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 22:48

Serves me right i should read the programme first lol you are correct.

Pete

#439 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:52

Just found this thread, I have a fair amount of stuff that I have taken at either the Monterey Historics or F1 Historics at Sears Point. Here are some from Monterey, Laguna Seca.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Advertisement

#440 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:28

Serves me right i should read the programme first lol you are correct.

Pete

That's not a problem Pete :up:

#441 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 15:12

Posted Image

Marc Devis Mirage

Posted Image

And his Lola T70 MK ? programmes says MK1

#442 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 16:17

Posted Image

T-300

#443 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,025 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 17:18

Posted Image

Mufflers...geee :down: :down: :down:

#444 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 17:19

Mufflers...geee :down: :down: :down:

I know don't you just hate that :mad:

#445 Simon Hadfield

Simon Hadfield

• 211 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 18:26

Better mufflers than no racing! Bruce's Lola is a T300. Oops didn't see your post Tom, sorry.

Edited by Simon Hadfield, 24 January 2010 - 18:27.

#446 Snetterton-b17

Snetterton-b17

• 748 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 18:37

Better mufflers than no racing! Bruce's Lola is a T300. Oops didn't see your post Tom, sorry.

Yes Simon I agree.....I have rose tinted spec's on and love to hear them how they used to be.....When i was 11 and standing at the hairpin at snetterton....watching and listern to them blasting down the Norwich Straight Awsome !!!

#447 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 18:44

I must have done something wrong the other two I tried to post didn't come across so here goes again

Posted Image

#448 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 18:46

Posted Image

#449 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,186 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 19:15

Posted Image

Marc Devis Mirage

hmm! that garage look familiar, as does the car.

#450 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 19:34

You have to admit the cars of this era were truly good looking .

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple cars that dont look out of place in the old ETCC.