Jump to content


Photo

Who has a photo of Dieter Braun?


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 alfredaustria

alfredaustria
  • Member

  • 237 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 05 March 2008 - 15:58

Hi - I am looking for a nice photo of Dieter Braun, former motorcycle-worldchampion?
Thank you in advance. Regards Alfred :kiss:

Advertisement

#2 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale
  • Member

  • 1,269 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 05 March 2008 - 16:19

What, like this?

http://www2.yamaha-m...ieter_braun.jpg

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 05 March 2008 - 16:22

How did he wrap that 6 feet 9 frame around a 125? Why did he not ride big'uns?

#4 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 05 March 2008 - 16:38

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Why did he not ride big'uns?

He did, actually! In those days, privateers used to run as many classes as they could afford, and it paid often more to finish 20th in the 500cc class than to win a 125cc one, but it's difficult these days to find results that go back that far.

#5 exclubracer

exclubracer
  • Member

  • 1,674 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 05 March 2008 - 16:42

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
How did he wrap that 6 feet 9 frame around a 125? Why did he not ride big'uns?


Russell

I remember him being a big fella, but 6' 9 !! :confused:

#6 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:00

Originally posted by exclubracer


Russell

I remember him being a big fella, but 6' 9 !! :confused:


:rotfl: :rotfl: PMSL!;)

#7 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:01

... is probably an exaggeration, I am myself only 6' 7! :D

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:07

Originally posted by fines

He did, actually! In those days, privateers used to run as many classes as they could afford, and it paid often more to finish 20th in the 500cc class than to win a 125cc one, but it's difficult these days to find results that go back that far.


Do you mean he rode a TZ in 500 races ? This often meant changing a blue number background for a yellow one - instant 354 Yamaha !

Cant recall him on a 750 ? Or a RG Suzuki? Perhaps he had retired by then. He was clearly an exceptional rider as he must have put himself at a distinct disadvantage by riding, for instance, the 125 Suzuki, yet still was able to win.

Well he was a big chunk of a bloke !!

#9 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:12

I'm a bit pressed when it comes to detail knowledge, but I recall him running an RG500 in 1976 - would imagine he also had some 354 starts :confused:

#10 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:17

Originally posted by fines
I'm a bit pressed when it comes to detail knowledge, but I recall him running an RG500 in 1976 - would imagine he also had some 354 starts :confused:


Wasn't he badly injured in the accident at Salzburgring 1976/7? with Cecotto, Fernandez, and? that claimed the life of Hans stadlman.
Did he race after that?

#11 exclubracer

exclubracer
  • Member

  • 1,674 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:31

IIRC Dieter was best known as a 250/350 rider, he built his own w/c 250 in '73 before the 250 TZ was available for sale. I think he had a 125 Suzuki similar to the ex-Stuart Graham bike of Barry Sheene, not certain about that tho :confused: .

I do remember that he was seriously injured in a big accident in the 250 (or 350) race at Salzburgring in '77 when Hans Stadelman lost his life. :cry:

edit:

You pipped me to the flag there Graham, think the laptop must've oiled a plug !! :clap: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#12 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 05 March 2008 - 18:10

Originally posted by exclubracer
IIRC Dieter was best known as a 250/350 rider, he built his own w/c 250 in '73 before the 250 TZ was available for sale. I think he had a 125 Suzuki similar to the ex-Stuart Graham bike of Barry Sheene, not certain about that tho :confused: .

I do remember that he was seriously injured in a big accident in the 250 (or 350) race at Salzburgring in '77 when Hans Stadelman lost his life. :cry:

edit:

You pipped me to the flag there Graham, think the laptop must've oiled a plug !! :clap: :rotfl: :rotfl:


:lol: :lol: But you spelled Hans name right!!

#13 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale
  • Member

  • 1,269 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 08 March 2008 - 14:23

Actually it's Hans Stadelmann with a double 'n'.

#14 picblanc

picblanc
  • Member

  • 12,525 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 08 March 2008 - 16:30

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
Actually it's Hans Stadelmann with a double 'n'.


:blush: Thank you Paul.

#15 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 08 March 2008 - 19:50

Good rider Dieter, but why have there been so few German World Champs?

#16 GD66

GD66
  • Member

  • 2,170 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 08 March 2008 - 20:16

The demise of sidecars as a world championship class certainly didn't aid their cause....

#17 Henk

Henk
  • Member

  • 223 posts
  • Joined: July 03

Posted 09 March 2008 - 22:32

Posted Image

TT Assen, 1975
Dieter Braun (l) and Wil Hartog ®

#18 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 10 March 2008 - 14:39

Two towers, Dieter and the White Giant! :up:

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Good rider Dieter, but why have there been so few German World Champs?

Have there? :confused:

#19 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:57

Originally posted by fines
Two towers, Dieter and the White Giant! :up:

Have there? :confused:


Afraid so : population of 80 million, heavily industrialised, large motorcycle industry, but substantially less than comparable countries, Britain and Italy.

Advertisement

#20 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:08

Hmm, I asked because this was against my recollection. I have no way to check easily, but looking through "Continental Circus" by good ole' Maurice Büla, there's a list of titles per country, which should come close at least as far as road racing is concerned. It lists Italy with 65, Britain with 56 and Germany third with 38! Apart from Spain (25) and Switzerland (17), there's no country coming even close to that amount, neither USA, Japan nor France!

You mention Britain and Italy in comparison, in fact those are the ONLY countries with more championships, and if you include Speedway and Motocross, I'm sure there will be only Britain left, and most of those titles would probably be "old", i.e. leftovers of the Isle-of-Man era. I am certainly not trying to be chauvinistic, but I really don't see how there would have been "few German World Champions"! :confused:

#21 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:15

Originally posted by fines
Hmm, I asked because this was against my recollection. I have no way to check easily, but looking through "Continental Circus" by good ole' Maurice Büla, there's a list of titles per country, which should come close at least as far as road racing is concerned. It lists Italy with 65, Britain with 56 and Germany third with 38! Apart from Spain (25) and Switzerland (17), there's no country coming even close to that amount, neither USA, Japan nor France!

You mention Britain and Italy in comparison, in fact those are the ONLY countries with more championships, and if you include Speedway and Motocross, I'm sure there will be only Britain left, and most of those titles would probably be "old", i.e. leftovers of the Isle-of-Man era. I am certainly not trying to be chauvinistic, but I really don't see how there would have been "few German World Champions"! :confused:


According to that unimpeachable source, Wikipedia !, Deutschland is down there in fifth spot, at least as far as road racing is concerned; and lets be honest it is thee only proper racing ! You sit just two ahead of Australia( pop 16 million, largley unindustrialised, ergo no motorcyle industry) with 16 champs. I think I'm right in claiming that up until Braun's and Tony Mang's titles in the seventies, only the NSU squad of Rupert Hollaus, Werner Haas and Herman Muller had won any solo titles ( I wasnt considering chair racing - honest). Don't you think it surprising that in the 59 year history of the world championship, Germany has never produced a champion in the premier class - the 500 , or its latest manifestation, Moto GP ? The comparision with Britain and Italy was made because they are the only other countries in the world, with the obvious exception of Japan, to have, or in our case had, a large motorcycle industry, as well as comparable populations in terms of size. According to the unimpeachable source, Italy's tally is 72 champs, and Britain's is 44 ( 52 if, as we should, we count Britishers Redman and Hocking), while Germany have had 16 - half that of Spain !

:)

#22 seh1066

seh1066
  • Member

  • 266 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:44

Coming back to Dieter Braun and 'big' bikes - he definetely rode a Suzuki RG500 in 1976 - I remember spectating at the 'Maipokal' race in Hockenheim in 1976 where he participated in the 250, 350 and 500 ccm class races (at least he tried because the engine of his RG500 did not start during the push-start - Jack Findlay won on another RG500).

And he also raced in the Formula 750 races in Hockenheim - but here I do not know if he rode a 750 Yamaha or a smaller displacement bike (maybe a 350 ?).

Is there a picture of Dieter Braun on the Kawasaki KR250 from 77 around ? On the net I found pictures of Grant, Ditchburn and Kiyohara but nothing for Dieter Braun.

#23 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 11 March 2008 - 21:12

Well, my figures obviously weren't the most recent... :blush: And you're quite right, what counts most is the 500cc class, and there Germany hasn't even had a proper Grand Prix winner, if I'm not mistaken!

... and Hollaus was Austrian, iirc...

#24 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 11 March 2008 - 21:15

... proper Grand Prix winner in the World Championship era, I hasten to add!!! Before a Schorsch Meier fan gets in my (virtual) face... :blush:

#25 Alan Cox

Alan Cox
  • Member

  • 7,605 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 11 March 2008 - 21:29

As a matter of interest, Dieter is scheduled to appear at the Race Retro Historic Motor Sport Show at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, this coming Friday 14th March, along with a number of other motor cycle 'greats'.
(Friday) Dieter Braun, Rob Gould, Ferry Brouwer, (Saturday) Steve Webster, Tim Reeves, Patrick Farrance, Steve Abbott, Stan Dibben, Eric Bliss, (Sunday) Phil Read, John Cooper, Frank Perris and Charlie Williams.

#26 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:20

Rod Gould : thought he was well of the radar nowadays? Wasnt there previously some dispute with him and the Hailwoods over the ownership of a former works Honda ?