Photo

The Guardian: Formula One 2008 Preview

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:30

Was going to pick up the paper for this at lunchtime, but it is available online:

http://www.guardian..../formulaone2008

It's a pretty funny read, with quotes like these (guess who) :

How to spot him

Looks like the quiet kid at the back of the school photo who ends up taking the deputy headmaster hostage with a butter knife.

Were the playboys who had the best driver and won, lost the best driver and struggled, and have spent all winter with their arm around his shoulder while crossing their fingers and whispering: "You're home, now. We feel your pain. The bad men can't hurt you any more. Everything's going to be all right."

Enjoy!

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:36

The Facebook season review is hysterical.

#3 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:36

Christ reading that you could be forgiven for mistaking F1 for a soap opera. The dazzling hero lewis vs the evil empire Ferrari.

Alan Henry and the Guardian continuing their jingoistic shitfest...

The facebook thing was amusing though :-)

#4 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:13

Thanks roadie :up:

Alan Henry's "Next challenge: second season syndrome" is jingoistic? The Guardian is jingoistic? :confused:

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 15:01

"You can trust these chaps almost implicitly, Bond. But always make sure they've copied every page. Even our top agents have a habit of missing one or two. It happened when we stole the plans for Michael Schumacher. A whole section on how to bolt his head together was missing. We did our best to improvise but we ended up with a very poor copy. Or 'Ralf', as we called it."

:lol: :lol:

#6 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 16:11

6 Some fans think blowing a loud horn to show their support is a good idea. It isn't.

Amen to that! :clap:

#7 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 17:22

Mika Salo in the "finnish drivers" article:

"It's pretty much normal here. Things like family stuff and so on are not close to us. During my time in F1 my grandfather and grandmother died, and I never even went to the funeral. It was not a big thing for me, and I believe it's the same here for everybody."

That is such a load of complete bullshit that I seriously had to stop reading and wonder what drugs Salo has been taking.

#8 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 17:55

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

:up: :lol: :lol:

#9 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 18:02

Originally posted by Piif

"It's pretty much normal here. Things like family stuff and so on are not close to us. During my time in F1 my grandfather and grandmother died, and I never even went to the funeral. It was not a big thing for me, and I believe it's the same here for everybody."

That is such a load of complete bullshit that I seriously had to stop reading and wonder what drugs Salo has been taking.

Mika is wrong in saying that it's the same for everybody but I still would not say that it's complete bull.

#10 GT Racing Online Magazine

GT Racing Online Magazine

• 832 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 18:30

They're the ones who

Run round in circles going nowhere while digging holes into which they throw burning money. In other words, they're even more confused than this metaphor.

There is no truer way of describing Toyota, spot on and funny :lol:

and Honda, exactly what we all felt but could not put to words:

They're the ones who

Last year had purists turning into parents of teenagers, shouting: "You're not going out looking like that!"

#11 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,803 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 19:22

I thought it started well as a good idea but then I found myself wanting it to be funnier than it actually was in the end.

Not bad for a Guardian article though.

#12 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 20:01

Think this is about the second time in my life that I've bought The Guardian, didn't realise it was online. Oh well, it's an excellent read and handy size to keep within reach. It reminds me of the Red Bulletin publication which is no bad thing.

Oh and their take on DC:

Looks like he keeps a really big bit of Lego in both cheeks. Formerly semi-bulimic skirt-chaser. Now pleasantly weathered and wise.

#13 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:11

first three articles on lewis hamilton :rolleyes: i wouldn't mind if the guardian didn't present itself as so worldly and above jingoism...

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:34

It's the sports section, what did you expect?

#15 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:49

not three versions of the same story, that's for sure

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:23

Good thing you don't read a daily newspaper then.

#17 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:25

no, i read daily newspapers, usually the sports section first. and when i do, i don't see three versions of the same story.

anyway ... the team profiles are cool, and the graphologist analysis of the tracks is clever. i'd just like more material on the drivers.

#18 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:48

The alonso hurt you quote was funny

#19 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:43

Link?

Advertisement

#20 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:45

About Renault

If they were cereal...

Sugar Puffs

Notable ensemble spearheaded by a loveable (if loud, hairy and somewhat orange) monster. It is said they are one of the sweeter additions to the market; the classic formula on show this year will have purists salivating - and a sugar rush will surely follow.

:lol:

#21 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:00

Originally posted by Piif

It's Salo, not everybody. He has always been a bit strange.

#22 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:08

Originally posted by roadie
It's a pretty funny read, with quotes like these (guess who) :

How to spot him

Looks like the quiet kid at the back of the school photo who ends up taking the deputy headmaster hostage with a butter knife.

Dammit I guessed wrong. I thought it was going to be Vettel.

#23 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 16:16

Originally posted by OSX
Mika is wrong in saying that it's the same for everybody but I still would not say that it's complete bull.

Yeah. I dont know how it's in other countries, but in finland young people usually leave home early. And the grand parents are often forgotten in elders house or lonelihood. We are not really family people. The normal family consists of parents (if not divorced) and two kids. It's not really all relatives together all year.

Salo although being provocative, is near the truth. He didnt go to funeral because he was racing or the grand parents werent that close to him.