Photo

Piquet jr. words...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 juary

juary

• 764 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:48

"With Fernando, this is not a team-mate I need to beat - so there is a bit less pressure than Heikki had last season, when he had a team-mate at near the end of his career, Giancarlo Fisichella," Piquet told the Sunday Express.

Piquet, Renault's test driver last year, revealed that Kovalainen was tasked specifically last year to beat Fisichella.

"Flavio wanted him to beat Giancarlo because he thought Heikki was much better than him, and he is, but it just doesn't always happen like that," he said.

I always thought that this guy is quite arrogant...those words showed also that he knows how poor driver is...

Please give respect to the experienced drivers who showed something, and let us to judge your performance...

I really believe that we'll read often this kind of interviews this season... :down:

Advertisement

#2 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:31

This guy it a prick, what if he win title one day, what we will listen then?

#3 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:50

I dont understand... is he saying he doesnt need to beat Alonso this season?

Does that mean:
A) that he has been instructed not to beat Alonso
or..
B) that he has no ambition

I dont get it... it seems that Brasil produced a driver with a **** attitude.

#4 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:06

The traditional question: source?

Assuming nothing got lost in translation, and ignoring the context of the question, I think that NP Jr is simply trying to shift the focus away from himself, stating the obvious (that he, indeed, is not contracted, nor expected, to beat Alonso this year).

So, in case he doesnt beat Alonso, he wont be a "disapointment" (expect of course for Brazilian fans and his dad), but, in case he does, he will be achieving something extraordinary, like LH.

That said, I think that NPJr knows that, if he somehow starts beating Alonso, the Spaniard will cry foul imediately, and, having Flavio & Co agreed to give him undisputed #1 status, things can get nasty on Nelson's camp.

#5 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:23

What a clown. :down:

#6 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:26

Like father, like son! :lol:

#7 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by juary
I really believe that we'll read often this kind of interviews this season... :down:

I thought the one with Hamilton in the UK papers over the weekend was the best for that. Starting off with saying how he's got no friends in F1, except Sutil - then laying into Adrian about when they where together in the F3Euro Races! :lol: Nice and ironic!

#8 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:34

Very rude to slate Fisi to the press. :down:

#9 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:38

Originally posted by Orin
Very rude to slate Fisi to the press. :down:

Rude, maybe. True, yes.

#10 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:50

Originally posted by molive

Rude, maybe. True, yes.

Maybe true, but pretty unwise given he's not driven a single season. He should have made the remarks about not needing to beat Alonso and left it at that, there was no reason to bring Fisichella into it.

#11 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:52

The guy is merely repeating what Flavio has said to him and what most already knew or could see for themselves.

He probably shouldn't have said it, but I fail to see what is arrogant about it.

#12 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:55

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

Does that mean:
or..

It is C) "No one expects me to beat Fernando and therefore I will have less pressure on me tha Heikki had."

#13 Cplus

Cplus

• 566 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:58

geez some of you blokes are well touchy on crap like this.

he's a kid with confidence - what do you expect?

it's not like anything he said is exactly untrue in the eyes of those around him.

he's been told by Flavio that he doesn't "need" to be Alonso - nor would Flavio expect he could - to keep his job.

Unlike what Kova was told obviously last year - pretty simple really.

#14 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 13:01

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

Does that mean:
or..

Look at this one;

He also points out that Alonso's rookie team-mate, Nelson Piquet, is ‘intelligent’ enough not to create problems for the double world champion.

"He knows that, at his age, he is extraordinarily lucky to already be with a top team.

"There is no competition between them," Briatore added. "That would be suicide for Nelsinho; instead, he is there to learn."

Briatore also defended his decision to part with 2007 rookie Heikki Kovalainen after just a single season.

The Italian said that, "to get Fernando, we had to let (Heikki) go.

"Anyway, he went to McLaren, and I thought we had to improve our team relations," Briatore joked.

I think Puiqet jr got some kind of manual from Flavio :rotfl:

#15 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 15:06

Originally posted by FLB
Like father, like son! :lol:

Nelsinho wished that was true, tbh. :p

#16 juary

juary

• 764 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 15:48

Rude, maybe. True, yes.

Actually Piquet jr. is nothing....he cannot judge the other drivers before to show something. Anyway i never heard this kind of comments from the other rookies, probably Heikky could say something...but heikky is an intelligent guy with some class...
down:

#17 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:14

I'd say the same thing if it were me. I'd try and downplay myself as much as possible. One one hand there's the suspicion that the team is focused on Alonso (as I think they ought to be) but it would make it very difficult to beat him and on the other, I'd look an awful lot better if I set expectations low.

It's a good tactic. Is he likely to come out ahead of Alonso? Not really. Is it because he is not as good a driver? Maybe. But the last thing he wants to be doing is telling the world that he expects to beat Alonso and playing up his talent. If he gets battered then he can say "Look, I never expected to beat him, he's a great driver, this is my rookie year, the best is yet to come".

#18 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:22

Rude, maybe. True, yes.

Nelson Piquet Junior, already I smell a rat, the guy works his way up the ladder using his father's reputation and surprise surprise he starts doing what he does best, mouthing off like a spoilt child.
Only doing what he's best at.
I was wondering when his major insecurity whould show up again, he's not gonna like it this year at all is he I fear for his career already.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:44

Typical case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

What would be your reaction if he had said:
a) "I need to beat Fernando"
b) "I will beat Fernando"
c) "I can't beat Fernando" (which he doesn't say BTW)
d) "Kova didn't beat Fisi, he was just lucky"
e) "It wasn't nice of Kova to beat Fisi"
f) "Kova didn't have any pressure"
g) "I will do a better job than Kova"
h) "I will do a better job than Fisi"

etc. etc.

Instead of that he simply gave the most sensible and straight forward opinion.
I wonder what some of you would have preferred to hear him say ;)

:up: to Nelson's honesty.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 00:07

Bah, you guys deserve the PR crap fed in press releases and standardized/memorized statements.

#21 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:37

Originally posted by scheivlak
Typical case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

What would be your reaction if he had said:
a) "I need to beat Fernando"
b) "I will beat Fernando"
g) "I will do a better job than Kova"
h) "I will do a better job than Fisi"

I would like him more if he had said the above :)

Instead of that he simply gave the most sensible and straight forward opinion.
I wonder what some of you would have preferred to hear him say ;)

:up: to Nelson's honesty.

I think he's just saying it to keep Flavio happy.
To be fair, if he says something like Nakajima and Heikki i.e. "I want to beat Nico", "I can beat Lewis", Alonso and Flavio will get nervous, and Flavio may be even more heavy-handed with his No.1 driver policy.

#22 woftam

woftam

• 1,081 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:50

Is it possible we have just a little bit of over reaction here? :rolleyes:

#23 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:49

Originally posted by woftam

ditto :up:

#24 runggald

runggald

• 117 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:52

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Fisichella is right behind Nelson Jr in Melbourne and manages to get past in the Force India? I have a feeling they won't be that far apart in the race at some point, even though one would be expecting the Renault to be lapping Fisi, given where Spyker was at the end of last year (remembering that this year's FI is basically the same car as last year's Spyker).

And for the record, Kovalainen and Fisi were pretty even last year, it's only the 8 pt haul by Kova in Fuji that made a gap between them in the points standings (30-21). On balance, in terms of SPEED only, I would say Fisi was marginally faster than Kova on a race by race basis, it's just that bad luck and a couple of mistakes cost Fisi much more (e.g. disqualification in Canada - a sure 6 points lost, and Fisi's spin in USA cost him another 5 pts).

Most of the time, especially in the second half of the season, Fisi and Kova were barely more than a couple of seconds apart in the races, but often that would mean 2 cars in between them, and usually 3 pts for Kova and none for Fisi. So I don't think Kova was necessarily much faster than Fisi anywhere, just a fraction quicker at certain races. In contrast, there were some races where Fisi was miles faster than Kova e.g. Melbourne, Monaco, Canada, China...

#25 runggald

runggald

• 117 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:55

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Fisichella is right behind Nelson Jr in Melbourne and manages to get past in the Force India? I have a feeling they won't be that far apart in the race at some point, even though one would be expecting the Renault to be lapping Fisi, given where Spyker was at the end of last year (remembering that this year's FI is basically the same car as last year's Spyker).

And for the record, Kovalainen and Fisi were pretty even last year, it's only the 8 pt haul by Kova in Fuji that made a gap between them in the points standings (30-21). On balance, in terms of SPEED only, I would say Fisi was marginally faster than Kova on a race by race basis, it's just that bad luck and a couple of mistakes cost Fisi much more (e.g. disqualification in Canada - a sure 6 points lost, and Fisi's spin in USA cost him another 5 pts).

Most of the time, especially in the second half of the season, Fisi and Kova were barely more than a couple of seconds apart in the races, but often that would mean 2 cars in between them, and usually 3 pts for Kova and none for Fisi. So I don't think Kova was necessarily much faster than Fisi anywhere, just a fraction at times. In contrast, there were some races where Fisi was miles faster than Kova e.g. Melbourne, Monaco, Canada, China...

#26 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:12

Hes an idiot, and i am yet to see a glimmer of anything special from him, i hope he makes an absolute meal of his first race. He shouldnt comment on other drivers skill when he hasnt even driven a grand prix, i am expecting him to struggle like crazy in australia btw.

#27 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:15

I dont see anything wrong with his comments.

#28 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:56

I don't recall too much excitement when Nakajima-San said he will try to beat Rosberg.
So yes, it seems you are right on it.

That is not to say Piquet is not his father's son ;)

From what I have seen I'm no fan of his, but good luck to him anyway.
The grid can always use another quick driver, let's see it :up:

#29 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:56

Originally posted by runggald

What season were you watching? What I saw was Kovalainen struggling badly at the start of his rookie year, then when gaining some momentum he was clearly the faster of the two. Just check qualifying times and races if you don't believe me.

#30 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:46

Piquet on McLaren last year:

Fernando had a crazy team boss last year who made crazy decisions, and we have a much more settled guy. When something like that happens it will not happen twice, and in my mind and Flavio’s we do not want to repeat that.

source

#31 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:50

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
Piquet on McLaren last year:

source

Yes. But remember who was his source back then, as well as now. Flavio had no interest in making Ron look either good or reasonable and Jr is just a kid.

#32 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:52

I think it's Ralf syndrome, for the last few years, everyone hated Ralf, and whatever he said, however reasonable, got dumped on from a great height.

It seems this year, the great unwashed have decided that they all hate NPjr.

#33 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:55

Originally posted by Youichi

I think it's Ralf syndrome, for the last few years, everyone hated Ralf, and whatever he said, however reasonable, got dumped on from a great height.

It seems this year, the great unwashed have decided that they all hate NPjr.

I think it is inevitable. Young people needs heroes and bad guys. Neither exists in pure form in F1 so they have to be created by the imagination.

#34 juary

juary

• 764 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:19

Originally posted by Piif

What season were you watching? What I saw was Kovalainen struggling badly at the start of his rookie year, then when gaining some momentum he was clearly the faster of the two. Just check qualifying times and races if you don't believe me.

Please check the statistics and you could agree with the Runggald post...

#35 pjabyrne

pjabyrne

• 113 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:53

Piquet Jr. - the new Ralf Schumacher??

You know - talented and fast enough for F1 but no more so than the top 2 or 3 guys in GP2 who DON'T have famous relatives...

Doesn't have to start in a Minardi, easy path to the top quarter of the grid....

Will probably win a couple of races but unlikely to have the raw ambition of an Alonso or a Hamilton to go all the way to a WDC... Even Nelson Sr was not renowned as a grafter or hard worker, can't expect the privlidged son to be any better.

Maybe i'm being unfair on the lads but that's how it looks :confused:

BTW JYS had some VERY (suprisingly) disparaging words to say about Nelson Jr. in an interview with Roebuck in this month's Motorsport...

#36 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:57

Originally posted by runggald
And for the record, Kovalainen and Fisi were pretty even last year, it's only the 8 pt haul by Kova.......yada yada bunch of excuses

It's pathetic that one has to come up with a bunch of excuses to try and show that Fisi was actually "pretty much even" with Kovalainen last year.

The guy is an experienced F1 driver that was with the team for 2 years already and he didn't manage to hold-off a rookie :eek:
I think that Piquet was actually being nice to just say that "Heikki was much better than him".

It's gonna be fun this year if Piquet (jr and sr) will keep telling things as they are :lol:

#37 spwolf

spwolf

• 62 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:01

its poor choice of words. You never talk to media like that. Shows how young and inexperienced he is...

#38 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:58

He is just telling the true. It hurts some people but it's the true.
In my opinion some Fisi fans are just overreacting. You guys should calm down a little bit. ;)

#39 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:15

I'm no particular fan of Piquet but he just seems to be telling it like it is, when did this become so bad? Does F1 really need more press-friendly PR machines, who never say anything worthwhile/meaningful? Seems straight-talking drivers are already few and far between. They are young confident racing drivers, not politicians.

Advertisement

#40 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 00:49

Hopefully the FIA will post monitors in the Renault garage to ensure Piquet gets equal treatment :p

#41 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:57

Originally posted by pjabyrne
Will probably win a couple of races but unlikely to have the raw ambition of an Alonso or a Hamilton to go all the way to a WDC...

WDC 101 basic
Question #1

1. Please identify the word that does not fit the above sentence.

#42 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:03

When did F1 get polite? The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Let the mind games begin.

It is good for Heikki that he left.