Photo

Interesting point on BMW Sauber

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 22:23

Don't know how many of you have seen the Guardian's F1 Guide today (sadly its a better read than Autosport's) but there is an interesting point raised in it.

NH & RK's contracts have both only been renewed until the end of this season, when both Alonso & Button's contracts expire. Is this a coincidence or are the limp wristed hacks at the Granuid right to highlight this.

Advertisement

#2 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 23:49

Well a lot of people seem to think Alonso is off to Ferrari next year :confused: but who knows maybe just a coincidence maybe their waiting to see if either will win a race this season before they give them new contracts cos if i remember correctly bmw left williams cos they werent winning enough + they (williams) wouldn't sell + logic therefore implies bmw want to win this season and if not they may run out of patience with their drivers and go looking elsewhere....... but it's just a guess :)

#3 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:31

It would certainly look cool:

BMW Sauber F1 Team
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Jenson Button

#4 Walsingham

Walsingham

• 1,232 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:54

It was reported that Heidfeld has two years contract with one year option, but Theissen said they will announce they driver line-up each year so it is not clear how strong is NH position now.

#5 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:18

I can see them going after Alonso if by 09 they produce a WDC car. Button, I doubt.

#6 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:21

I can certainly imagine that there has been talks between Alonso and Theissen and that both guys have decided to keep their doors open. Button? Coincidence.

#7 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:32

I can't see Alonso fitting in at BMW, I wonder if Theissen would even consider him. I think the one year policy is due to BMW's confidence that they are the best of the rest after Ferrari / McLaren, therefore they should have the pick of the drivers after the big two. It also keeps the drivers on their toes. I can't see them improving on their current line-up unless they hire Alonso, and I can't see them hiring Alonso, so I think the one year contract thing is simply BMW policy... on the other hand, they may be working on the assumption that Vettel will prove himself a superstar next year and they want all their options open for his return.

#8 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:32

Sounds like a BMW ploy to keep pressure and RK & NH to perform this year. As far as the drivers are concerned, knowing that your contract comes to an end always seem to put that little incentive on you to perform a little bit better.

#9 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:41

Especially Button would do fine in BMW. The season is not even started, and Fernando (or his management) is already talking about switching a team? I know that Fernando is a fast driver, but this is seriously fast. Is he really going to show something else than just a direction and leadership for Renault? Will he suspend those again?

#10 metz

metz

• 15,872 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:45

Originally posted by Walsingham
It was reported that Heidfeld has two years contract with one year option, but Theissen said they will announce they driver line-up each year so it is not clear how strong is NH position now.

That's correct.
The BMW web site and AMuS had reported Heidfeld's renewal as 2 years plus a one year option for Heidfeld.
Team policy is to anounce drivers every year.
Robert's contract is up this year.
I have no doubt it will be renewed.
If BMW Sauber fail to win a race this year, it will have nothing to do with the drivers.
It will have everything to do with the TOO radical design of the car and not enough time to get it sorted.

Let me add another observation.
If they win a race this year, the media will be touting how wonderful the team has performed and how they met their objectives. Hardly will they mention the driver.
If Renault win a race this year, the media will be praising the virtues of Alonso, not the team.

At this point, the cars are roughly equal. Let's see how NH does against FA this year.
Nick did pass him 3 times on track last year. Twice with a slower car.

#11 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:47

in my (armchair expert) opinion Vettel will make his way to the team. I don't believe he will want to stay at Torro Rosso (TR) for long. And I think he deserves to be in a top team.

About the other seat... it could be Alonso, but it could also be someone like Marko Asmer... (or perhaps BMW will loan him to TR(?)

But I don't see BMW giving up on Vettel.

As for Kubica, this year is very crucial. Last year we heard him expressing his unhappiness about the tires, and this pre-season as well. The tires are here to stay so he better adapt and maximize them.

#12 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:57

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
in my (armchair expert) opinion Vettel will make his way to the team. I don't believe he will want to stay at Torro Rosso (TR) for long. And I think he deserves to be in a top team.

we'll see this year if he can handle Bourdais.

#13 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:57

Alsono, maybe; but Button is no better than what they already have.

#14 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:01

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

About the other seat... it could be Alonso, but it could also be someone like Marko Asmer... (or perhaps BMW will loan him to TR(?)

But I don't see BMW giving up on Vettel.

As for Kubica, this year is very crucial. Last year we heard him expressing his unhappiness about the tires, and this pre-season as well. The tires are here to stay so he better adapt and maximize them.

Yes, no doubt Vettel will be in a BMW next season.

#15 metz

metz

• 15,872 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:01

Originally posted by Group B
Alsono, maybe; but Button is no better than what they already have.

Alonso is no better than what they already have.

#16 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:22

Originally posted by metz

Alonso is no better than what they already have.

that's your opinion... and i disagree

#17 Walsingham

Walsingham

• 1,232 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:29

Last year we heard him expressing his unhappiness about the tires, and this pre-season as well.

Naah. He didnt say anything about the tyres except obvious thing that without TC it will be more important to preserve them. He said that with SECU he has no problems with rear axle locking that he had with BMW's ECU which sounds like a paradox. From test times he looks good but tests are tests.

#18 Catchpole

Catchpole

• 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 21:51

I'm sure BMW are using these year-long contracts (with renewal options) as a motivational tool rather than planning to get anyone in particular. I suppose a yearly contract can act as both a carrot and a stick - exceed/meet expectations and get rewarded with another (and probably better paid) yearly contract (perhaps also a moderate pay-off if you meet expectations but don't have the contract renewed); fail to meet expectations and it's either straight sacking (with little to no pay-off) or the option of a contract renewal with a (for example) 25% pay-cut that’s non-negotionable.

I don't think they go for Alonso - salary demands would be too high (they'd rather spend it on the car) and they'd have to employ a subservient team-mate. I don't think they'd make two driver changes in the close-season because of the disruption it could cause with feedback/development.
Also I don't think BMW would be happy if Alonso claimed he brought sixth tenths of second to their team. Comments like that would hardly suggest that the BMW is the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! :)

I very much doubt BMW would go for Button. He'd probably be more expensive that Heidfeld and Kubica and I'd doubt anyone in BMW would rate Button better than either of those two. I think Button would have to win the championship in a Honda Jazz* to catch BMW's eye.

Vettel I'm sure is tied-up with a contract with Red Bull. I'm sure Coulthard's keeping his seat warm at the parent-team and as soon as DC quits, Vettel will be promoted. Probably the most-likely of these three possible replacements but BMW would have to pay a hefty release fee to Red Bull.

*Having said that, it might not be such an impressive feat after-all because the Jazz is probably quicker than the RA108 :D