• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:20

Looks like Kovy is out before the first practice session. :down:

Kovalainen: I'm not going for pole

"I need to do many things correctly and I'm certainly not aiming for pole position," he said.

"I need all weekend to work better with my engineers, my mechanics, the whole team to make sure the car is well set up and I am full of confidence for qualifying and the race.

"Hopefully towards the end of the season I can fight for the top positions and if things go well, even early on. But for the moment the priority is just to start better than last year and not aim for pole."

Defeatist or Realist?

Advertisement

#2 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:22

Originally posted by kamix

Defeatist or Realist?

That's what everyone says at the start. I am sure he will change his tune after he gets his first win.

#3 modamas

modamas

• 345 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:22

realist, he´ll be fighting for 4th position with Fernando in the WDC

#4 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,509 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:26

McLaren already decided the strategy for drivers. Kovalainen is heavy loaded and tries to win with 1 stop if SC comes out or something. Hamilton will go light for pole and try win in straight fight with Ferrari.

Heikki will qualify in P6 or P7 this first race.

#5 FNG

FNG

• 3,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:28

He's being understated. He is Finish after all, he will talk on track.

If he didn't genuinly believe he could beat Hamilton or any other driver on the grid he wouldn't have got to where he is today.

#6 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:29

Originally posted by micra_k10
McLaren already decided the strategy for drivers. Kovalainen is heavy loaded and tries to win with 1 stop if SC comes out or something. Hamilton will go light for pole and try win in straight fight with Ferrari.

Heikki will qualify in P6 or P7 this first race.

Thanks for the update, Ron.

#7 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,205 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:33

It's been down to three since last year.

* Kimi - because he's probably the best driver on the grid and he's in the best or second best car.
* Felipe - because there's no #1 driver at Ferrari and he's just as good as Kimi when he's ahead.
* Lewis - because he's in the best or second best car and backed by Ron which makes it easy for him at McLaren. Heikki is not a factor.

#8 k1ngy

k1ngy

• 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 22:49

Wasnt that what people were saying about Lewis at the start of the season at look where he got..

#9 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 23:56

Heikki just seems to be naturally cautious. After all,after a slow and tentative start last season, he came on really strong towards the end of the year. Expect him to do the same again in 2008.

#10 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 984 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:03

May be this is the confirmation he signed a #2 driver contract.

#11 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,509 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:08

Originally posted by Enzoluis
May be this is the confirmation he signed a #2 driver contract.

Actyally Heikki said McLaren wouldnt have signed him if his goal wasnt to win races and championships. But he has some steps to take. Let's wait that first pole and win first, and talk then about the championship.

#12 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:09

He shouldnt be at a team like mclaren with statements like that.

#13 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,509 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:24

Originally posted by kids like ash
He shouldnt be at a team like mclaren with statements like that.

Name the drivers who have won first race in their new teams on merit (apart from the great Kimi Räikkönen who will drive fast almost everything).

#14 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:17

Name the drivers who have won first race in their new teams on merit (apart from the great Kimi Räikkönen who will drive fast almost everything).

name the last driver in a mclaren that said they aren't aiming for a "top position" until the end of the season. Hes talking like its his first season again, and its not. If he hasn't got the wil to win from the get go then he shouldn't be there. He's had his rookie season to learn things, iron out some mistakes, he should be going for it.

#15 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,307 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:00

ONLY three contenders?

how quickly we forget ;)

#16 SB

SB

• 1,791 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:09

Originally posted by 512 TR
It's been down to three since last year.

* Felipe - because there's no #1 driver at Ferrari

Have you checked the car # on Felipe's car ?

#17 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:14

It may actually be shrewd of him to reduce his profile while teaming against Hamilton. This early in their relationship maybe he doesn't want to come off as too big a threat, especially when he'll need time to settle into the team. Better to use the first few races collecting as many points as possible and getting settled in, all without the pressure of coming across as the man attempting to take down Lewis H.

I was surprised by the quote too, but I doubt the rookie who helped send Fisichella packing would say something like that without some thought behind it.

#18 Menace

Menace

• 12,298 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:50

Actyally Heikki said McLaren wouldnt have signed him if his goal wasnt to win races and championships. But he has some steps to take. Let's wait that first pole and win first, and talk then about the championship.

BINGO!

Heikki is just playing it cautious, as he should. If he actually starts beating Hamilton on credit his stocks will be sky high.

I actually have no doubt he will be quite strong at Mclaren in the second half, but perhaps I'm just being patriotically optimistic. :cool:

#19 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:24

I think he should be going out there guns blazing and be happy with whatever he achieves, rather than making mitigating statements before he's even hit the track.

Maybe in the back of his mind he isn't expecting to land pole, but publicly stating his aim to finish behind lewis is hardly showing a competitive spirit is it.

Advertisement

#20 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,405 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:51

After what happened last year in Australia I think it is a very sensible approach and there is never any hard in downplaying expectations and then exceeding them.

It is probably a pretty clever move as well, not just thinking about this year but how this year possibly fits in with the next 2 or 3.

I hope he does well.

Regards

Andy

#21 e34fanatic

e34fanatic

• 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:14

I think that Heikki´s stragey is going to be succesful. Top guys will take points off from each other. If Heikki keeps finishing in top 6 in regular basis, he will be in quite strong position for the latter part of the season.

#22 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:21

(apart from the great Kimi Räikkönen who will drive fast almost everything).

and then went into a slumber for the next 7 races. :lol:

Nigel Mansell is one, to answer your question. In any case, Kovalainen is playing it safe. He'll be right on it from the get -go but Hamilton will shade him for the majority of the year IMO.

#23 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,059 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:47

Heikki is playing mind games, of course he aims always to the top.

#24 Owen

Owen

• 10,500 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:20

Heikki is not showing his cards yet full story

#25 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,314 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:29

Best approach IMO, its much better to aim low and over deliver than aim high and under deliver. If he challenges Hamilton it will only make him look better. It worked for Lewis last year...

#26 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:39

It would be foolish to write Heikki off so soon, he is a very good race driver, his previous achievements back this up, i find it strange that the bookies have him so low on the odds, i put a £20 bet on him to win it this year as the odds were so good, it will return £300 if he does, Heikki is so badly underrated but i feel he prefers this. He will beat Hamilton this year

#27 speedy

speedy

• 1,766 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:46

It's his Finnish mentality - humble and modest attitude. No news to anyone who understands the cultural differences between different regions/nations. If not, then threads like this are born. The threadstarter just shows that he lacks in that department...the world is not simplistic and in any case it is not black and white.

#28 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,460 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 13:26

Originally posted by COUGAR508
all,after a slow and tentative start last season,

by that you mean Heikki was off the road 10 times in his first race. Yes some way to cautiously conserve the machinery :rolleyes: :lol: :) .

#29 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:33

Jaques Villeneuve took pole on his first race and would have won it if it weren't for his tyre problem.

#30 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,926 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:53

Defeatist or Realist?

Neither, its gamesmanship.

#31 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:25

Defeatist or Realist?

He's smart. It's better to under promise and over deliver rather than over promise and under deliver.

#32 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 326 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:56

Defeatist or Realist?

Sounds intelligent. During the first races some guys push too hard and make mistakes or break the car.

It´s similar to hamilton´s strategy last year. He didn´t win the first races, but he was constantly on the podium and at mid season he was leading the championship.