Photo

F1 on (legal) internet feed at last

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 on (legal) internet feed at last (135 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes! And I would pay (37 votes [27.41%])

Percentage of vote: 27.41%

2. Yes, if it is free (74 votes [54.81%])

Percentage of vote: 54.81%

3. No, I just want a comfortable TV session with chips and beer (15 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Maybe in the future (6 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

5. Other (3 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:20

ITV to broadcast free practice on the web
It is not global, just for British viewers, but I think it is milestone step anyway. I think motorsport is perfect for Internet broadcasting since the audience is relatively small and spread all over the world. I have been in countries where the races was not broadcasted at all or simply delayed to some off hours so it would not disturb the lottery and style programs. I hope that many people will watch the practice so that Bernies eyes will open. I would not mind paying for a F1 season on the net, globally accessible via my account much like MotoGP does. Or did, I have not actually subscribed the last two years (!).

I tried the "Race Director" or whatever it was called for Champcars and the idea is great. You had plenty of different feeds to choose from (could have different windows open) as well as radio feeds where you could choose what crew/car to follow. Not to forget live timing and both spoken and written comments. That is how I want to watch motorsport. Unfortunately, Champcars sucked with their "option tyres" and "push to pass" buttons (!!! again) and the feed quality was not good enough with far too many hickups and freezes, but this was a couple of years ago.

How is it with you, would you like to follow a race on your computer rather than on TV? Would you pay for it?

Advertisement

#2 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:26

...quickly logs into corporate GB VPN site...

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:27

I'd much rather watch it on TV, but if I'm somewhere where I'd have internet and not a TV channel with F1 on it, then I'd consider it.

Having on the net an archive of full-length past races, highlights of the races, official commentary shows, etc - now that would be interesting to me. Of course they'd only do that as a paid service, but I think it'd sell well.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:52

If they charged for it, then it would very much depend on the price. My guess is they would put people off by charging to much.

#5 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:55

Let them make their money from advertising revenue, and the fact that (presumably) James Allen is a "pay presenter", and that his father (or whoever) pays ITV several hundred thousand pounds a year for James to present, even though there are many, many more capable presenters out there.

#6 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 15:57

I want to watch it in high definition with no adverts, a decent commentary team and useful on-screen information. I don't mind having to pay a reasonable price for that. I don't mind if it's on TV or the internet, at any rate I suspect we'll view them as one and the same before too long.

#7 makroncommander

makroncommander

• 142 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:05

Originally posted by Clatter
If they charged for it, then it would very much depend on the price. My guess is they would put people off by charging to much.

Agree, they'd probably charge a lot of money.

We already get friday practice in the US, and we get the race in HD!

#8 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:08

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
I want to watch it in high definition with no adverts, a decent commentary team and useful on-screen information. I don't mind having to pay a reasonable price for that. I don't mind if it's on TV or the internet, at any rate I suspect we'll view them as one and the same before too long.

Well, to be picky, real high definition on the internet isn't viable yet, that must take a lot of bandwidth.

#9 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,197 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:14

Originally posted by paranoik0

Well, to be picky, real high definition on the internet isn't viable yet, that must take a lot of bandwidth.

720p would be possible, but not wouldn't work unless you have a really good connection. A lot of game sites stream trailers in high def, but it was unusable on my crappy Virgin ADSL service. Entanet have been much kinder to me :)

1080p would be totally out of the question, the bandwidth required is huge.

#10 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:17

I pay a small fortune to watch my TV every year. There's no way in hell I would also pay to watch something at a worse quality on my computer than I can freely watch on my TV and I certainly don't see why we should have to pay to watch free practice (I know the 'free' isn't literal there :p ).

So, I would watch practice on my computer if it was free but other than that I'll watch my TV or I wont watch practice at all (which is looking most likely)

#11 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 951 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:20

For the times when qualifying is during my work hours (which is rare, being in North America), I wouldn't mind having a window open with at least audio coverage to keep track of.

#12 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:25

Due to mtv3's strategy I already watch F1 from Internet and I dont pay a dime.

Maybe it would be better on TV so that computer would be dedicated to timing system.

It is not global, just for British viewers

Heh good luck on that try. Btw I have heard that RTL is going to have similar thing.

can anyone please elaborate.

If you have say IE6, then Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings
click use proxy server and then add some UK based that you most likely will find by google

Then your webtraffic goes through that server and web page you visit no longer knows you real ip address because you are moving along with proxy's ip.

I also warn that using proxy can disable some p2p-tv programs.

#13 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:29

is there a way how to access this UK only feed in other geographical locations?

I heard someone mentioning proxy servers? If so can anyone please elaborate.

#14 Matti Poika

Matti Poika

• 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:40

Hopefully If this goes well ITV will extend it to showing the race in full via the web,
My summer schedule quite often sees me in countries where my knowledge of the local language pretty much ends at being able to order a beer. so being able to proxy back into the UK and watch the race live and in English would be wonderful. :clap:

#15 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:42

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Due to mtv3's strategy I already watch F1 from Internet and I dont pay a dime.

Maybe it would be better on TV so that computer would be dedicated to timing system.

Heh good luck on that try. Btw I have heard that RTL is going to have similar thing.

If you have say IE6, then Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings
click use proxy server and then add some UK based that you most likely will find by google

Then your webtraffic goes through that server and web page you visit no longer knows you real ip address because you are moving along with proxy's ip.

I also warn that using proxy can disable some p2p-tv programs.

thanks! that answers my question!

#16 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:44

For the race I prefer the TV (and laptop with live forum and timing), for free practice I usually get a torrent for fp1&2 and watch that fridaynight.

#17 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:47

Originally posted by StefanV
ITV to broadcast free practice on the web
It is not global, just for British viewers, but I think it is milestone step anyway.

Too bad that us foreigners cant enjoy James Allen :down:

#18 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:53

Some years ago we could watch Friday practice on some German/Austrian channels. However, they are no longer transmitting on the Hotbird satellite and we are left with no alternative. Is there any chance that someone has noticed a Hotbird channel which bradcasts F1 free-to-air?

#19 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,277 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:54

A good ADSL link and a computer from 2 years ago can play without problems a PAL standart broadcast feed.

A system where a web feed with commercials and Free to all over the World

and another

Paid without commercials, with TV interviews and other options makes sense.

Advertisement

#20 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,110 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 16:59

Originally posted by K-One
Too bad that us foreigners cant enjoy James Allen :down:

I REALLY hope you were being sarcastic.

#21 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:02

Originally posted by Hellenic tifosi
Some years ago we could watch Friday practice on some German/Austrian channels. However, they are no longer transmitting on the Hotbird satellite and we are left with no alternative. Is there any chance that someone has noticed a Hotbird channel which bradcasts F1 free-to-air?

ORF has 2nd practice live.
DSF usually has FP1 & FP2 live only if they are held at "normal" European hours.

Proxy it is then, but I have a feeling that the servers will be overloaded.

Look at autosport.com today and yesterday, the server is already crumbling.

#22 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:09

but I have a feeling that the servers will be overloaded.

Totally same feeling, unless they have banned all proxy sources. Everybody tries to save money and think: "hey, I'm sure this hardware will do" then reality hits.

#23 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 347 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:12

Nothing can beat TV IMO, but i should love to have access to free internet feed when i am away from home.

Also, it´s quite fun when you watch the races on TV and simultaneosly you get the live timing on the computer.

#24 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:14

Originally posted by Atic Atac

Also, it´s quite fun when you watch the races on TV and simultaneosly you get the live timing on the computer.

Without that it is virtually impossible to "understand" the race. Live timing is a must.

#25 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:21

Many thanks for the info peroa, but I don't think that these two channels are Free-to-Air on the Hotbird satellite. Am i mistaken?

#26 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:23

I would pay if it offered a bunch of stuff in addition to the live feed (similar to nascar coverage).

Otherwise, if it's just the feed, I wouldn't pay.

#27 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 347 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:31

Originally posted by peroa

Without that it is virtually impossible to "understand" the race. Live timing is a must.

Yup, it is.

I have just bought a new vid card for my computer which supports HDMI output. I am looking forward to the first race to see if i can see the live timing in a window during the race, as mi TV supports dual input :)

#28 Foxy

Foxy

• 90 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:55

really pleased about this :clap:

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 18:02

I would pay a reasonable ammount to be able to watch live all the weekend practice sessions and the race itself. I would also pay to download these sessions and races, plus those of the past.

But I have no idea of what a rasonble price would be. A price which would obviouslly support the operation and not rip me off.

#30 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by Atreiu
A price which would obviouslly support the operation and not rip me off.

Well, then you are out of luck. Bernie is involved :)

#31 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 18:33

Originally posted by Hellenic tifosi
Many thanks for the info peroa, but I don't think that these two channels are Free-to-Air on the Hotbird satellite. Am i mistaken?

DSF is, ORF not - you have to turn your dish to Astra.

But I have IPTV at home, so everything goes ... :cool:

#32 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 347 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 18:43

Well, then you are out of luck. Bernie is involved :)

ROFL :rotfl:

#33 Slick

Slick
  • Administrator

• 3,340 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 18:54

First we get the full live timing screens from FOM, now Friday Free practice sessions on the web, slowly, ever so slowly we are getting what we ask for. However, I'm grateful for the small mercies we do get.

#34 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 484 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 19:14

Great news, just hope it doesnt suffer 2 problems, firstly time delay, then everyone that doesnt want to listen to James Allen rattle on (although I personally dont mind him lol) can tune in to five live for their stellar coverage without the picture and the commentary being out of sync.
Secondly I hope ITVs site can handle all the traffic and doesnt ground to a halt, especially during peak race weekends, ie Monaco, the British GP season finales etc.

#35 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 19:40

I don't know, I'm too comfortable watching it on TV. It just feels more natural. Plus viewing it on the internet with all that buffering and garbage?? No thanks.

I'd rather see high definition F1 than streamable races online.

#36 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,817 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 20:37

I like TV but I'll watch the internet feed if it's free.

CC

#37 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 21:43

I wonder how much the practice sessions tonight are going to be fully presented, or if it will just be pretty much the pictures without a commentary and the odd link and pre-recorded stuff at the beginning of the show?

#38 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 865 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 23:08

There's no way you can practically stream HD from the web if it's a popular event.

Just watching the ITV stream now and it's patchy sub-SD quality, no commentary.

Still very early days for internet broadcasting. Better than nothing, but that's about all.

#39 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 00:02

It is possible to watch ITV's crappy stream from outside UK ...

you just need Firefox + FoxyProxy add-on + UK proxy adress

I will not spoil you the fun of finding how to make all this work ...

Advertisement

#40 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 00:36

That there is no commentary many may consider a blessing, but joy of joys, you can hear the engines..........

#41 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:41

You can listen to some intra team radio messages

#42 mecachrome

mecachrome

• 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:49

Caught the last 10 min after finally getting it to work here in NA.
Looks good, natural sound :clap: I'm sure it'll improve.

#43 Peter

Peter

• 1,401 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:04

Hmm...

As a Brit who will be traveling extensively in North America later this summer, this sounds like a good way of keeping up with F1.

So what I need to know now is: how do I set up FoxyProxy, or similar, to get connected (I have a decent spec. laptop) and: what connectivity (roaming internet, broadband, wireless access), can I expect on NA?

#44 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:40

Originally posted by Slick
First we get the full live timing screens from FOM, now Friday Free practice sessions on the web, slowly, ever so slowly we are getting what we ask for. However, I'm grateful for the small mercies we do get.

exactly

and im happy we are getting practice sessions free, i dont think i would pay for them, or any race coverage on the net

#45 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:15

Web browser: Firefox
Firefox add-on: FoxyProxy
UK proxy: you need to look for proxies in the UK and try some, because not every proxy works

1.- Download and install Firefox.
2.- Open Firefox. Go to Tools-->Add-ons
3.- Click on Get Extensions at the lower right part of the pop up
4.- write foxy proxy on the search box
5.- Go to the detail page
6.- Click "install now"
7.- Restart Firefox
8.- look for a UK proxy on the web. You'll need an IP and a PORT
9.- in the status bar of Firefox click on Foxy proxy and create a new proxy with the IP and PORT you got
10.- select that proxy to be used for all urls

Normally proxies are slow, or just don't work ... so be patient and try different proxies until you find one that suits you.

Remember to deactivate FoxyProxy for your normal web surfing.

If you don't know a **** about proxies ...

proxy server

#46 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:27

but I think it is milestone step anyway

If last night stuttery, unreliable, badly compressed, fundamentally unwatchable streaming from ITV is a milestone...then oh dear.

F1 is miles, MILES behind other series. Where's the HD coverage? Where's the online subscription to allow QUALITY streaming with multiple angles and onboard streams? Where's the pick-a-teams-audio?

We had multi-screen options with the digital stuff half a decade ago - and yet since then, we've gone backwards. How is that even possible? Bernie must be getting the worst IT consultancy in history. Offer quality, reliable, interactive footage on the web or via digital-TV ( or both- do a bundle package) at a REASONABLE price - and I'm there.

What do we get? A web stream that doesn't work in the middle of the night from a company idiotic enough to think IP identity is enough to stop non UK people viewing.

I was able to watch a WMV feed of a space walk, from cameras on the side of the helmet of an astronaut, 300km up in space, without glitches, freezes and pauses. F1 from Australia - totally unwatchable.

We've got a LONG LONG way to go.

Doug

#47 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,564 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 17:13

Originally posted by peroa

DSF is, ORF not - you have to turn your dish to Astra.

But I have IPTV at home, so everything goes ... :cool:

I just checked, and DSF is unfortunately only available on the Astra satellite. That means no F1 for us, Hotbird users!

#48 Blue

Blue

• 1,222 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:38

Just to give you some not useful information you can watch F1 in Finnish here: http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/f1 Prices are 24h 7€, 6days 9€, whole season 99€. And you can also watch F1 live in mobile phone if you have 3G phone AND Finnish mobile operator. The price is 3€ a race. The latter I might try one day, sopcast should be good enough until then.

#49 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:54

Originally posted by djellison

If last night stuttery, unreliable, badly compressed, fundamentally unwatchable streaming from ITV is a milestone...then oh dear.

Doug

It's usually quite bad, is it not? For some reason it almost seem to be worse now than some 3-4 years ago when I watched a lot of online TV. Guess I was alone watching then...
Most annoying thing is the delay though. Can be a minute or more. I guess that if you want to watch it on the net, they must also offer a time offset on the live timing.

#50 Zippity

Zippity

• 240 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:56

Yesterday's live coverage of qualifying here in New Zealand (SkyTV) had no commentary for most of the one hour show :(

The Internet provided coverage was great :)

Although there was a time delay with the live picture of about 3 seconds, there was full sound :)

So much for UK coverage only ;)