Jump to content


Photo

Aus GP : Friday Free Practice discussion thread


  • Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#201 *MJC1*

*MJC1*
  • New Member

  • 19 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 18:49

I am apologize in advance for promoting ITV F1 website, (Went to see vid on practice sessions) but take a look at practice session two at 1:20, an excellent slow motion of Lewis exiting turn 12 (I think) hanging the arse out big style for a modern day F1 car.
Will be interesting to see how the tyres hold up in the race if they take that amount of abuse. :)

Advertisement

#202 spwolf

spwolf
  • Member

  • 62 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 March 2008 - 18:57

Originally posted by *MJC1*
I am apologize in advance for promoting ITV F1 website, (Went to see vid on practice sessions) but take a look at practice session two at 1:20, an excellent slow motion of Lewis exiting turn 12 (I think) hanging the arse out big style for a modern day F1 car.
Will be interesting to see how the tyres hold up in the race if they take that amount of abuse. :)


i think after friday's practice, everyone realized how much more fun new rules are... there will definetly be a lot more overtaking due to smaller mistakes that previously would have been handled by tc

#203 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor
  • Member

  • 8,290 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:00

Originally posted by *MJC1*
I am apologize in advance for promoting ITV F1 website, (Went to see vid on practice sessions) but take a look at practice session two at 1:20, an excellent slow motion of Lewis exiting turn 12 (I think) hanging the arse out big style for a modern day F1 car.
Will be interesting to see how the tyres hold up in the race if they take that amount of abuse. :)


Thats what I came here to post about!

Great slide from lewis and well done to ITV and Bernie for hosting all sessions on the tinterweb with a great highlights service!

#204 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:29

Having looked a little closer at the stints from second free, I have to say Honda and Button are a positive surprise. They appear to not be too far off the "group of four" at all.
Fisichella and Sutil seem to be much more evenly matched over a longer stint than their Q-sims tell us. Force India will I think, struggle with Honda's race-pace.

Toyota are definately right in the mix together with Red Bull, Renault, BMW (who perhaps are slightly ahead afterall) and Williams, so we probably should say "the group of five" (as I alluded to pre-season). Perhaps the Trulli-train will be on people's lips again this year...

Btw, Webber absolutely rocks sector one, and I feel sure he's basically the fastest in T1/2. Great to watch.

#205 miguevaio

miguevaio
  • Member

  • 214 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:33

Originally posted by Orin


That's not true: a few Alonso fans are mature enough to admit (what this website and others nowadays report as simple truth) that Alonso sought number one status from McLaren while denying it in the press; also that instant retribution wasn't the best way to handle what happened in Hungary; I suspect some can even bring themselves to admit to the likelihood that he tried blackmailing RD (after all, why would RD invent the story? And one which fits so neatly with Mosley's recollection of events?)

It's like the Schumacher fans of yore, there were always those capable to accept his flaws and supporting him regardless (to whom I say "kudos" :) ), then we had the (bizarrely, usually English) Rottweilers going into attack mode at the slightest suggestion that their hero might have been remiss on one or two occasions - I see at least one still floating around these boards, most have now left or been forcibly removed.

Alonso behaved poorly last year, to refuse to accept his shortcomings is somewhat 'blind' to say the least, but worse are the scapegoats required to support that position: the Guardian is cast as an untrustworthy jingoistic rag (in truth it's a leftish anally politically-correct broadsheet with the best sports reportage of any of the British newspapers, rivalling anything from other countries); McLaren become the team who hire a 2xWDC, then abandon their long-held equality policy in favour of an English rookie driver. No doubt the whole spygate thing helped, allowing Alonso supporters to point out that the team appeared fundamentally untrustworthy. All this crap thrown around because 'their man' behaved foolishly and childishly for the whole season. :rolleyes:


the funny thing is that you actually believe your story....great :up:

#206 Suntrek

Suntrek
  • Member

  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:51

Originally posted by Orin


That's not true: a few Alonso fans are mature enough to admit (what this website and others nowadays report as simple truth) that Alonso sought number one status from McLaren while denying it in the press; also that instant retribution wasn't the best way to handle what happened in Hungary; I suspect some can even bring themselves to admit to the likelihood that he tried blackmailing RD (after all, why would RD invent the story? And one which fits so neatly with Mosley's recollection of events?)

It's like the Schumacher fans of yore, there were always those capable to accept his flaws and supporting him regardless (to whom I say "kudos" :) ), then we had the (bizarrely, usually English) Rottweilers going into attack mode at the slightest suggestion that their hero might have been remiss on one or two occasions - I see at least one still floating around these boards, most have now left or been forcibly removed.

Alonso behaved poorly last year, to refuse to accept his shortcomings is somewhat 'blind' to say the least, but worse are the scapegoats required to support that position: the Guardian is cast as an untrustworthy jingoistic rag (in truth it's a leftish anally politically-correct broadsheet with the best sports reportage of any of the British newspapers, rivalling anything from other countries); McLaren become the team who hire a 2xWDC, then abandon their long-held equality policy in favour of an English rookie driver. No doubt the whole spygate thing helped, allowing Alonso supporters to point out that the team appeared fundamentally untrustworthy. All this crap thrown around because 'their man' behaved foolishly and childishly for the whole season. :rolleyes:

Whatever you say - there's no way around the fact that Alonso DID NOT START the fuzz at McLaren.

He simply did not.

He didn't.

Shall I take it once again?

[b]He didn't.


Try to get that fact into your stupid little head for once. :rolleyes:

So who behaved most foolishly and childishly? The one who started the whole fuzz or the one who merely responded to unfair behaviour?

#207 f1rules

f1rules
  • Member

  • 4,389 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:57

Originally posted by Suntrek


Whatever you say - there's no way around the fact that Alonso DID NOT START the fuzz at McLaren.

He simply did not.

He didn't.

Shall I take it once again?

He didn't.

Try to get that fact into your stupid little head for once. :rolleyes:

So who behaved most foolishly and childishly? The one who started the whole fuzz or the one who merely responded to unfair behaviour?


:rolleyes:

ORIN :up:

#208 Suntrek

Suntrek
  • Member

  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 20:58

Originally posted by f1rules


:rolleyes:

ORIN :up:


Yeah, truth hurts, doesn't it?

#209 f1rules

f1rules
  • Member

  • 4,389 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:02

Originally posted by Suntrek


Yeah, truth hurts, doesn't it?


:) i think you should start writing for one of those highly acclaimed and extremely objective newspappers there is in spain, you sure fit the profile to get a job there :rotfl:

#210 color

color
  • Member

  • 178 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:04

Btw, Webber absolutely rocks sector one, and I feel sure he's basically the fastest in T1/2. Great to watch.


oh, c'mon, he just did a veeeeery loooow fuel run. spectacular, I must admit - but meaningless...

#211 Suntrek

Suntrek
  • Member

  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:10

Originally posted by f1rules


:) i think you should start writing for one of those highly acclaimed and highly objective newspappers there is in spain, you sure fit the profile to get at job there :rotfl:


Not at all. I'm Swedish and I can stand rather free from both the British and the Spanish propaganda, and I don't care much for the press either way, the one we have in Sweden is shit too. :)

On the subject however - are you refuting my claim that Alonso did not start the fuzz at Mcaren? Please elaborate.

#212 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:13

Originally posted by color


oh, c'mon, he just did a veeeeery loooow fuel run. spectacular, I must admit - but meaningless...


Eh, he didn't do all his running today, in both sessions, on low fuel. He was a joy to watch everytime round. Btw, several drivers did low-fuel runs today.

#213 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:18

Originally posted by color


oh, c'mon, he just did a veeeeery loooow fuel run. spectacular, I must admit - but meaningless...


Webber looks like he will be very strong in practice/qualifying again this year....

#214 Jerome

Jerome
  • Member

  • 2,088 posts
  • Joined: September 05

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:19

Originally posted by Suntrek


Not at all. I'm Swedish and I can stand rather free from both the British and the Spanish propaganda, and I don't care much for the press either way, the one we have in Sweden is shit too. :)

On the subject however - are you refuting my claim that Alonso did not start the fuzz at Mcaren? Please elaborate.


No please don't.

We are discussing, or trying to, the results of free practice. There are some very knowledgeable posters on this thread who's comments I like to read, and I, and more readers, are not interested in your private pissing contest.

#215 Galko877

Galko877
  • Member

  • 4,173 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:21

Ladies and gentlemen!

Could you please start seperate a thread about if Alonso is the best thing since sliced bread or not topic and stay there with this subject? It is extremely tiresome that most threads end up being littered by these Alonso fanboys(-girls) vs. antis debates. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

#216 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:23

Amen, Jerome & Galko.

#217 color

color
  • Member

  • 178 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by COUGAR508


Webber looks like he will be very strong in practice/qualifying again this year....


oh, dont't get me wrong... I like Webber as a driver too.
Just don't expect him in this RB to be #2 in quali or the race... He did his low fuel run when others were running heavy fuel loads - that's all. He said it himself.

#218 Suntrek

Suntrek
  • Member

  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:27

Originally posted by Jerome.Inen


No please don't.

We are discussing, or trying to, the results of free practice. There are some very knowledgeable posters on this thread who's comments I like to read, and I, and more readers, are not interested in your private pissing contest.


You are absolutely right. I'll keep quiet. :)

Now, if we can just get Orin and the other Alonso-haters to post in a specific thread all assigned to Alonso-hate and don't litter other threads with their agendas, I'd be the happiest person imaginable in this forum.

#219 f1rules

f1rules
  • Member

  • 4,389 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:29

the danish isnt that good either :lol:

no, i think they were equally responsible. I can see why Alonso was upset. Not because i think Hamiltom was prefered in any way, but it was obvious that the team was behind hamilton more. And that must have been hard. Why alonso was so angry not to get special treatment i on the other hand dont understand. if he had taking the time to look into mclaren politics and history, he would have known that he wouldnt be treated as number one. Off course there is no doubt alonso was going into the season thinking he would be kicking hamiltons ass, thus making himself the number 1 driver automaticly. But that didnt happen and he should have dealt with it in a mature manner. instead he behaved like a spoiled brat. But what was worse was his loyalty, or lack off. If i had been ron i had fired him the sec he threathened me about the emails.

but lets get this thread back on track, sorry for the crossroad

Advertisement

#220 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:31

Originally posted by color


oh, dont't get me wrong... I like Webber as a driver too.
Just don't expect him in this RB to be #2 in quali or the race... He did his low fuel run when others were running heavy fuel loads - that's all. He said it himself.


Oi, no-one here, is naive enough (or so grossly un-educated on F1) to think that Webber will be second on the grid(given equalish fuel loads), no-one's said that.

#221 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,411 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:31

This and Monaco are Webbo's best tracks though, how often have we seen him near the sharp end at these tracks in fairly dusty machinery.

Saw his quick lap yesterday and through sect 1, holy smokes I thought he was going to bin it.

#222 color

color
  • Member

  • 178 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:43

Originally posted by race addicted


Oi, no-one here, is naive enough (or so grossly un-educated on F1) to think that Webber will be second on the grid(given equalish fuel loads), no-one's said that.


well then - we've set the record straight.
I suspect everyone would wish Mark Webber all the best @ his home race... No miracles are gonna happen though... I'm just saying - don't be mistaken and take BMWs', Renaults' and Williams' slower times during FP too seriously.

#223 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:51

They're taken seriously, it's just that everybody knows how to read times from the stints, not just that one fastest laptime.

#224 BiH

BiH
  • Member

  • 2,309 posts
  • Joined: September 05

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:55

any reports on weather for todays qualifying.....looks like with the wind yesterday the times were all over the place.....I wonder if they will get into the 1:25's today

#225 1fastSS

1fastSS
  • Member

  • 626 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 14 March 2008 - 21:58

Originally posted by Mika Mika


JB says McMerc have an advantage because of their ECU, Clatter says Fiat have an advantage because of their in depth knowledge of Bridgestone tyres.

I still think Flav is right more sparks!!!!!


Right! I see your Clatter's logic.....NOT!!!

Please explain to me, how you can compare a team going from one tyre manufacturer to another and say that they are at the same dissadvantage as a team that had to freeze it's engine development and then switch to a cometitors ecu after the fact; a critical peice to egine perforamance. McLaren on the other hand, just take the existing ECU and engine combo, turn off TC and call it good. :rolleyes:

You're comparing asking a team to switch their tyre supplier with no restriction on development to suit the change with asking a team to change their ecu manufacturer while also imposing a restriction on ANY prior or current engine development to suit the switch. :up:

I guess in your world butterflies weigh as much as elephants.

#226 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:00

Its the same for everyone.

#227 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:00

Originally posted by karlth
Flavio: "It makes sparks on the straights."

Casey Stoner's Ducati was making sparks in the corners when he was pushing it in Qatar's MotoGP night race - it looked quite hairy. The only interesting thing about Qatar's night race - compared to having the race in daylight - were Stoner's sparks! I didn't see any others with them ... now if Symonds was really good at his job, he should of put some flint onto the bottom of the Renault - it would have looked awesome!

#228 wingwalker

wingwalker
  • Member

  • 6,326 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:01

Originally posted by archstanton


are you 100% sure ... i could be wrong, but my impression was the oppostie. apart from that one run with a curious setup (that we saw him try and dial-in onboard) that caused a few really wild corners ... apart from that, he was a lot less leary than i was expecting.

he does historically go to the edge in practice, just to see where it is, but i thought he had track to spare in these sessions, and i've seen him slide the tail around a lot more than today.

not saying he's not going to struggle with tyres, i think he might if compounds get marginal, just, i didn't see much off it in these sessions



I'm nowhere near being 100% sure, you might be right. It appeared like that to me, but it was late at night and I didn't notice that difference between setups, which most likely means I wasn't watching too carefully.

BMW puzzles me the most. I have had a feeling that they're playing with the media since first test, and they appear to be confident of where they are (3rd best team). On the other hand, they seem to be pretty average pace-wise. Both factors remind me of Honda last layer (with "pathetic" insted of "average"). Still, if I was to bet I'd put my money on them finishing in high points, possibly a podium (with a bit of luck, or lack of luck from Ferrari and Maclaren perspective).

As for Super Aguri, they are in a far better position that I thought they will be, on the grid that is. Pace-wise they are doomed to be at the dead end for at least 4-5 GP's, they don't even have data to work on now.

#229 race addicted

race addicted
  • Member

  • 19,481 posts
  • Joined: June 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:06

Originally posted by wingwalker


BMW puzzles me the most. I have had a feeling that they're playing with the media since first test, and they appear to be confident of where they are (3rd best team).


Their stint times yesterday says they are the third fastest, and rather comfortably infact. They could do low 29's, while Renault (Alonso) and Red Bull were around 30 flat.

#230 Nitropower

Nitropower
  • Member

  • 1,172 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:12

Originally posted by f1rules


:) i think you should start writing for one of those highly acclaimed and extremely objective newspappers there is in spain, you sure fit the profile to get a job there :rotfl:


Oh why not in the U.K. in the serious the sun and the like, you just need some imagination and skills in modifying pictures (such as crossing out words in banners, etc).

#231 metz

metz
  • Member

  • 9,701 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:18

:evil: Can you guys take this outside?

#232 color

color
  • Member

  • 178 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:24

Originally posted by race addicted
They're taken seriously, it's just that everybody knows how to read times from the stints, not just that one fastest laptime.


certainly... "seroiusly" isn't the right word. do not take it LITERALLY - read between the lines - this is what I meant.

#233 Szoelloe

Szoelloe
  • Member

  • 5,645 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 14 March 2008 - 23:23

Hi guys, does anyone have a link to a video of the practice i can watch outside the UK? ITV is restricted for me...

#234 miguevaio

miguevaio
  • Member

  • 214 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 14 March 2008 - 23:25

Originally posted by f1rules
the danish isnt that good either :lol:

no, i think they were equally responsible. I can see why Alonso was upset. Not because i think Hamiltom was prefered in any way, but it was obvious that the team was behind hamilton more. And that must have been hard. Why alonso was so angry not to get special treatment i on the other hand dont understand. if he had taking the time to look into mclaren politics and history, he would have known that he wouldnt be treated as number one. Off course there is no doubt alonso was going into the season thinking he would be kicking hamiltons ass, thus making himself the number 1 driver automaticly. But that didnt happen and he should have dealt with it in a mature manner. instead he behaved like a spoiled brat. But what was worse was his loyalty, or lack off. If i had been ron i had fired him the sec he threathened me about the emails.

but lets get this thread back on track, sorry for the crossroad



Well, he was actually treated as number 2, and at the end as the enemy......yes, by your god Ron and company....the "equal team"

And about loyalty, nobody, and repeat, nobody was a model of loyalty in McLaren last year.....why should the Spaniard guy be more than the dear British son or some more?

Anyway,......keep reading the sun and watching ITV and seeing yourself in the mirror each morning thinking of yourself as a well informed and balanced guy in your opinions.....to be happy doesn't take much more ....;)

And yes.....don't worry....this weekend your idol will finish in front of your devil....and for sure that will show that Ham is God and Alonso is the Evil and at the same time is finished and old...... :up:

#235 jimpo

jimpo
  • Member

  • 277 posts
  • Joined: July 05

Posted 15 March 2008 - 00:00

Originally posted by color


certainly... "seroiusly" isn't the right word.


:cool:

#236 Menace

Menace
  • Member

  • 12,285 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 15 March 2008 - 00:58

1. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:26.461

FP1


1. Hamilton Mclaren (B) 1:26.559

FP2

#237 shonguiz

shonguiz
  • Member

  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:21

Posted Image

#238 Jason

Jason
  • Member

  • 4,095 posts
  • Joined: September 99

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:24

Originally posted by shonguiz
Posted Image

Only testing but who would've thunk both Ferraris and McLarens would be outside the top 10!

#239 VresiBerba

VresiBerba
  • Member

  • 8,951 posts
  • Joined: April 02

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:32

Bourdais, get a move on :mad:

And can we please lose the fanboi bullshit in this one thread, please!?

Advertisement

#240 VresiBerba

VresiBerba
  • Member

  • 8,951 posts
  • Joined: April 02

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:35

Originally posted by Jason
Only testing but who would've thunk both Ferraris and McLarens would be outside the top 10!

I think that all four drivers got a bit of traffic at the end, there were a lot of cars out there, and with a few small mistakes. I don't think we'll se anything other than a Ferrari or a McLaren on the sharp end come two hours and a half.

#241 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,400 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:36

Force India take a very good position in 8th.

Ferrari and McLaren are cruising around at 70%.

So meanwhile BMW were foxing and fooling the media in a giant ruthless prank and will crush their lowly 'rivals' :rolleyes: Renault, RBR and Williams into fine dust, good on em hehe. :)

#242 Cenotaph

Cenotaph
  • Member

  • 2,316 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:37

Piquet is having a bad start, he's always losing control of the car and setting some very slow times.

Ferrari and McLaren were probably concentrating on Q3 practice with an heavy car. But it would be nice to see the other teams closer to them. So far it seems the fight in the midfield will be very very interesting this year.

#243 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr
  • Member

  • 2,598 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:40

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor


Thats what I came here to post about!

Great slide from lewis and well done to ITV and Bernie for hosting all sessions on the tinterweb with a great highlights service!

No they didn't.

#244 former champ

former champ
  • Member

  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:59

loss of traction control seems to be shaking things up a bit, few drivers having some hairy moments.

I expect nothing but a McLaren or Ferrari on pole though come the serious session. Alonso may make things interesting however, does not look too bad at all.

#245 Looserke

Looserke
  • Member

  • 207 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:00

Let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeee!!! :lol: :cool: :clap:

#246 shonguiz

shonguiz
  • Member

  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:22

Piquet what a joke.

#247 Looserke

Looserke
  • Member

  • 207 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:30

Kimi is banned from Q! :eek:

#248 Mauseri

Mauseri
  • Member

  • 7,497 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:55

Originally posted by shonguiz
Piquet what a joke.

I wonder why my Piquet thread was deleted where I presumed he would struggle.

I dont really feel sorry for this team. No that I have anthing against the driver, but the management.

#249 former champ

former champ
  • Member

  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:57

Originally posted by shonguiz
Piquet what a joke.


so was Kovalainen in his first race last year. Don't write him off just yet even though it is pretty disappointing.

#250 shonguiz

shonguiz
  • Member

  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:20

I have never expected something better than "average" from him.