Aus GP : Saturday Qualifying discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#101 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,859 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:26

Originally posted by Durant

You are wrong usual. What happens is that whatever mode you set it to at the start your stuck with it for 90 seconds, so this will stop teams from using a special LC mode. If you dont play any LC tricks then the system works as normal.

That sounds far more reasonable and understandable.

Do you have a source?

Advertisement

#102 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,637 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:30

interesting session, new names up on the board is good to see.

however i think its early days, maybe third or fourth race people will start settling into their fixed slots. sad for Kimi, i think Alonso also had some trouble, otherwise a bit lax to leave it to a single run.

Fisi just missed out.

#103 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:31

Originally posted by Peter Perfect

That sounds far more reasonable and understandable.

Do you have a source?

Tv commentators.

#104 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,790 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:56

Originally posted by HSJ
Vettel was really good...

Just to clear up some things about Vettel, I was at Albert Park listening to his frequency and he WAS going for a quick lap. But as he was in sector 3, his race engineer told him to pit. "Sorry Sebastian."
After he got back in the pits... "There's nothing we can do. Theres an oil leak at the rear and I think we all know where thats coming from."

I'm presuming this is a reference to the woefully awful Red Bull gearbox that they have inherited.

#105 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,468 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:12

Originally posted by Peter Perfect

90 seconds?! That seems far too long if it's from the start of the race. Could it be triggered earlier? Aren't there safety implications? And I'm sure there were comments from winter testing that Ferrari's starts were just as impressive.

Safety implications in non-optimal wheel spin :drunk: !?

So any engine map including Launch Control must be used for at least 90 seconds, very fair.

#106 femi

femi

• 6,204 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:24

Originally posted by Mika Mika

Maybe, but that ferrari look like a handfull to drive, i said the same in the pratice's too, now they have the bimmers to worry about too...

Quite right...after all that winter hype about them dominating.
This BB would have exploded if they had got pole.

The beamers are looking real good.

#107 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,140 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:30

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks

Safety implications in non-optimal wheel spin :drunk: !?

So any engine map including Launch Control must be used for at least 90 seconds, very fair.

Still doesn't make sense to me yet. For instance, why not trigger it well before the start? I don't believe there would be a 90 second delay to change engine maps - or at least, I have not heard of such a thing.

#108 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,140 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:40

One comment about Ferrari - they have a shorter wheelbase this year. Other teams have longer wheelbases. So maybe Ferrari's traditional speed at Melbourne is no longer. And that come Malaysia - the normal litmus test - they will have their speed back. The Ferrari's have seemed nervous under brakes. Maybe that's related to not having the same energy on the tyres when not going flat out? Such a setup would help lessen tyre wear too, but at Melbourne, it might cost rear stability under brakes. Just my theory though.

I said some time ago BMW would surprise! :clap: Who knows about race pace - but we'll see. I hope they are quick, because their car is so different, they deserve to get an advantage for being so brave.

Bad luck to Ferrari and Red Bull, and Toyota (gearbox) and Torro Rosso (gearbox I think) and who ever else had problems. Seems the FIA reliability scheme hasn't quite kicked in yet. Goodness knows why the most unreliable part of an F1 car - the gearbox - has been hit with a 4 race reliability penalty. Its an FIA prize for the advanced teams IMO. Curiously, the team most advanced in gearboxes is McLaren. I don't like the rule though. And with the hybrids coming, I doubt the rule is saving any money - its likely making things more expensive.

Tomorrow will be hot again, much more than today, but a lot less than Friday. It will be windier than today too, but the wind will come from about 180 degrees different direction, so the tail wind upsetting cars under brakes won't be happening at the same position, if at all. The breeze should come in the afternoon, but well before the race starts. It will cool things down somewhat too.

The cars as expected are closer too each other this year, mostly I presume because the teams are understanding the tyres better.

it was a very exciting qualifying, but general disbelief and annoyance that once again MW's RBR failed. Still its better happening there than in the race - and same for Kimi. And the rest of those that had problems.

#109 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:42

Its been reported that Alonso had differential problems which caused his slow pace.

#110 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:14

Best performance in qualifying came from Vettel. :up: :up:

Ferrari is a joke once again. Or is it the McMerc ECU? : :down:

Massa :down:

Hamilton :up:

Kovalainen :down:

Bimmers :up:

#111 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:14

Fuel predictions Massa has about 19-20 laps of fuel. He was less than a tenth behind Hamilton when he aborted his lap. Hopefully the Ferrari has better race pace, fastest lap would be nice. Kimi needs a good strategy not one stop which is stupid in 50 degrees track tommorow. Tyre degregation will be a key, I can see at least nearly every driver have one off, whether it is just across the grass or other. I hope Massa just keeps it on the track. Kimi will be stupid to go 29 laps on a one stopper, in that kind of temperature. Raikkonen should go on two stopper as it will be easier to overtake. Around lap 24. And run a short last stint. Which will mean the soft tyres will hold up longer. Maybe 24 laps is an exaggeration however run 22 laps first stint 24 second when the track is more rubbered in. and 12 lap stint on soft tyres, should hold up longer. When track is rubbered in.

#112 Christian Szymczak

Christian Szymczak

• 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:15

Wow that was a pretty exciting qual with Kubica driving the crap out of the car and almost snagging the pole! :eek:

Hamilton drove a nice smooth lap to the pole. He looked very calm and collected, and yet very fast. I think his car is also very stable, but good job nonetheless.

Does anyone else watch the coverage on speed? During Q2 they did an onboard hotlap with Vettel that was very impressive. I didn't know what all the hype was about but now I see. His car control and reflexes are astounding. The kid is really no joke. You could see the car was very difficult to drive, but he was driving it like a crazed maniac and keeping it on the track.

Too bad for Ferrari, but that's life. I think they are going to be strong contenders over the season. I'd bet that their race pace is quite a bit better than the qual we saw today also.

Nice job to Toyota and Honda given where they were a little bit ago.

I think Renault are stronger than they look also. At least Alonso is anyway. Does anyone want to bet $1 US (I know it's not worth much these days) that he will finish in the top 5? If you win I will pay you a couple pence and we'll call it good :p hehe.

Here's to an exciting race :up:

#113 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:27

News just in..

Button, Trulli, Rosberg and Fisi to recieve reprimands for not slowing under yellows.. Glock recieves 5 grid spot penalty for gearbox change, and another 5 spots for impeding Webber's lap...

Also, Sutil to start from the pitlane.. he damaged his chassis bouncing over the kerbs, they have to repair it...

#114 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:31

think kimi will do a long first stint (until the middle of the race) with the harder tyres, then he will do a short stint with the hard tyres again and a short stint with the softer ones.

For him the most important thing is to keep the car on track because I think we will see lots of driver mistakes.

Also I doubt that both BMW will finnish the race tomorrow as they had too many reliabiltiy problems.

Another thing: Do you guys think that there is a possibiltiy that some drivers will make 3 pitstops?

#115 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,581 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:34

A huge shame for Räikkönen of course, but a bonus (that I would rather have been without) is that we'll get to see some aggressive driving from him tomorrow, if he survives T1/2.
I think Ferrari's speed are good, and my guess is that Massa is a lap or two heavier than Hamilton.
Hamilton in turn, is a couple of laps lighter than Kubica. Respectable effort from Kovalainen throughout qualifying.

BMW definately have a fast car, and it shall be interesting to see the difference between Heidfeld and Kubica. I've said I expect it to be about the Pole this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if Heidfeld is just two-three laps heavier.

Williams dissapoints slightly, Renault too, but it's better than qualifying tells you, as Alonso apparently had probs with the diff. Eight tenths to the fastest car isn't alarming. Piquet; horrible.
Red Bull's pace is roughly where I expected. Looking very much forward to the start tomorrow. If there isn't much other than up to the driver, I'm hoping to see a stunning start from DC, like in the "good old days".
Toyota as expected or perhaps slightly slower infact.
People were right to mention STR's speed so much, and especially Patrick Head always brought them up.
Vettel did extremely well.

Good to see that Honda could mix it with the "group of four".

#116 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:35

hello86 we don't want a repeat of hungary where we do a long first stint.

#117 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,333 posts

DoubleWDC you seemed to have high expectations on Heikki at the qualy :rotfl:

My personal opinnion is that his performance was very good :up: , and I did not expected him to beat LH in the first race...

#118 Piif

Piif

• 577 posts

Originally posted by molive

Nelsinho :o Albert Park + 1st race seemed to have got to him big time. He looks shy and without confidence. BUT, keep this post for future reference: the kid IS very good and will bounce back.

Is he? Cause he sucked big time. That was the worst debut qualifying I've ever seen from anyone.

#119 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:42

Wow! That was exciting! From Bourdais fighting with a very pointy Toro Rosso, to Hamilton getting into a four wheel drift on the penultimate corner, that was thrilling - thank God for the SECU. :D

Hamilton - looked phenomenal. :up:
Kubica - stonking lap, amazing to have secured second place given how wide he ran. :up:
Vettel - Toro Rosso 6th at the end of Q2? I wouldn't have believed it possible. :up: :up: :up:
Trulli - fantastic 6th place. :up:

Terrible luck for Raikkonen and Webber (Blundell: Webber needs a 'brake' :drunk: ).

Honda are certainly looking like they're on the right track and Toyota are looking much better than last year. BMW is looking like a genuine contender, good thing too. :up:

My guess is that Kubica and Trulli are fuelled a little lighter than the cars around them. Massa looks pretty uneven, I wouldn't be surprised to see the race finish with a McLaren 1-2 and a BMW 3-4, certainly Kovalainen and Heidfeld are both looking very strong.

The cars are a joy to watch once more. :clap:

Advertisement

#120 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:53

Neson Piquet was so bad today I sincerely wish for Fisichella to be back at Renault, more so given his predilection to drive better in POS cars. Nothing against NPJr, but he really has to up his game tomorrow and in future races as well. ):

#121 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:07

Originally posted by molive
I wont be surprised if Kimi manages a podium. Melbourne is great for crazy results.

Trulli train could save his race. Good pit strategy and pass them all.

#122 jlp356

jlp356

• 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:15

I have great respect for the thoughtful and erudite commets that usually appear here, but I have a silly interjection I cannot resist.

I haven't read the full thread, but has anyone here yet remarked upon how close we came today to Formula One's first true "Pole" pole position!?

My apologies to those with a more subtle sense of humor (I'm a Yank; that's how we spell it.) than mine.

#123 K-One

K-One

• 5,911 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:21

Crap work from Ferrari, again technical problems and very dumb one
Kubi was great, Mclaren guys did steady job

Renault big disappointment - certain posters were sure that Renault will be top team, because of Alonso, doesn't seem so now. Maybe he didn't after all bring the 0,6 secs and fix all problems :wave:

Flav must be happy with Piquet

Director was useless :down:

#124 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,924 posts

Ferrari...shocking.....I'll wait till tomorrow but I can see a McLaren, BMW, Ferrari podium.

Vettel :up:

I hope Kimi can bounce back.

#125 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Originally posted by DoubleWDC
Best performance in qualifying came from Vettel. :up: :up:

Kovalainen :down:

Vettel looks special doesn't he. A year ago I was very sceptical about this wunderkind... but he looked impressive.

I think that Kovy did a good job :up: something to build on, and with his comments about the #2 drivership... that was funny and neutralizing

#126 Music Man

Music Man

• 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:30

One interesting thing, that no one seemed to notice: in Q2 the difference between P1 and P14 was merely 1.226 sec and all times between are evenly distributed. Wasn't last year like this: Ferrari & McLaren roughly on the same pace, approximately 1 sec gap, BMW, everybody else? Looks like we're heading in a far more interesting season than last year's. Lack of TC will make things even more interesting - even with fresh tires many struggled today to keep it on track, my guess is, that tomorrow we will see even more off track excursions, which can result in many retirements. I wouldn't bet too much money on either driver :)

Otherwise:
Renault & Ferrari (Raikkonen's) - a real fine way to start the season :up: :up:
BMW - :up: (this time no sarcasm :)) and I doubt that Kubica is light
Vettel - :up:

It seems that it would be better for Alonso to choose Toyota over Renault when he had a chance :

#127 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:33

Originally posted by Durant

You are wrong usual. What happens is that whatever mode you set it to at the start your stuck with it for 90 seconds, so this will stop teams from using a special LC mode. If you dont play any LC tricks then the system works as normal. They talked about this today during out tv coverage.

Yea funny how people are already pointing at the ECU. was an awesome Qualifying, The Ferrari just looks harder to drive (as brundle said) with the very hot temperatures tomorrow it's not gonna be too good if it is that much more difficult, having to concentrate for so long..

#128 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:51

This year is going to be incredible. Lots of new faces and already a lot of great performances by the new gen- Kubica, Kova, Vettel, Glock, Rosberg, Naka...etc etc etc, and huge variance in the midfield. Look at where cars are from each team in qual! It's so close that people are all over the place and tiny differences mean huge grid spot differences. Let's hope for another year like 2003 with wins from many teams (or, at very least, poles/grid orders/podiums from more teams than Mc/Fer).

Either way, I think everyone did great, save for maybe Piquet.

- Bourdais wasn't fantastic but he knew this would be the case so it's ok.
- Naka had a problem in the end but was just a hundred or so behind Rosberg in Q2 which was great for a rookie.
- Glock was great (poor luck though)
- Vettel was absolutely awesome (and I was impressed but not convinced last year, but with the extra practice he's looking more and more like he'll come through with that promise...but it's only one qual still)
- Kubica was driving out of his skin and really deserved pole
- Heidfeld is probably the other side of the strategy and still had a very good lap
- Hamilton and Kovalainen (heavier) come through as you'd expect, same with Rosberg
- Trulli, Coulthard both having great qual
- Good start from all 4 Honda drivers

Etc etc...except for maybe Piquet. I've heard a number of times that the car is just absolutely wrong for his preferences (strong understeer), but that should never account for nearly 2 seconds which has been pretty much constant throughout winter testing. I hope he finds his legs soon or we'll be hearing a lot of flack of Flavio.

This is going to be a great freaking year.

#129 DoubleWDC

DoubleWDC

• 565 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:59

Why didn't Ferrari order KR to push his car over the pit entry line if it was just some metres away?

#130 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:00

Originally posted by DoubleWDC
Why didn't Ferrari order KR to push his car over the pit entry line if it was just some metres away?

Because his car stopped on track and he isnt allowed to take part in the next session.

#131 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,468 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:03

Originally posted by CWeil
Etc etc...except for maybe Piquet. I've heard a number of times that the car is just absolutely wrong for his preferences (strong understeer), but that should never account for nearly 2 seconds which has been pretty much constant throughout winter testing. I hope he finds his legs soon or we'll be hearing a lot of flack of Flavio.

Flack? Piquet will surely be replaced and cast to scrap some dollars together for some sort of meagre part IRL program.

#132 Ninja2b

Ninja2b

• 628 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:16

Originally posted by Mika Mika

Yea funny how people are already pointing at the ECU. was an awesome Qualifying, The Ferrari just looks harder to drive (as brundle said) with the very hot temperatures tomorrow it's not gonna be too good if it is that much more difficult, having to concentrate for so long..

Durant is correct regarding the ECU 'freezing' settings after the race start. I'm not sure if it is for 90 seconds though, I thought it was 30 - but as I said I'm not sure. It can't be triggered early because it is not triggered by the driver...

#133 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 818 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:26

Great GP so far in Australia. I'm surprised, to be honest: I didn't expect such a big impact of the new regulations, but these cars are definitely harder to handle. Now we are getting closer to where Formula 1 should be :up:

BMW are not that light. I expect Kubica to pit 3 laps earlier than Hamilton, more or less. He's not on fumes.

Apparently Alonso was on a very quick lap when Webber crashed. After that they had a trouble with the differential and he lose a few tenths in the second round. Still, he would have been closer to the Toyotas than to the BMWs.

#134 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:31

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks

Flack? Piquet will surely be replaced and cast to scrap some dollars together for some sort of meagre part IRL program.

Oh come on. If it stays like this for a long time then only maybe, but give him some time. It was not in any way a good performance, but he's a rookie. Look at what people hollered about Kovalainen in Aus last year and then look at him now.

I've never been a particular fan of his due to his attitude, but admittedly I wouldn't have expected to see him struggle this much (even if the car is the polar opposite of what he likes). Sure, if doesn't improve at all you might see Grosjean or Di Grassi in the car more often, but I REALLY doubt Flavio would actually do that to one of his drivers. I'd just really, really doubt it at Renault, especially when no other drivers have spent much time in it.

Don't be so reactionary- let's wait to see how he does in the next couple races. It's clearly not a great car he's having to deal with.

#135 FreeRider

FreeRider

• 62 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:36

Most of people are saying that BMW might have almost the same potential as McLarens but I think they are even better, because we haven't seen their quali-run-practices during wintertime too often. So they should be very, very strong when compared to their 1-lap performance.

#136 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 326 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:37

Originally posted by Ferrim
Great GP so far in Australia. I'm surprised, to be honest: I didn't expect such a big impact of the new regulations, but these cars are definitely harder to handle. Now we are getting closer to where Formula 1 should be :up:

BMW are not that light. I expect Kubica to pit 3 laps earlier than Hamilton, more or less. He's not on fumes.

Apparently Alonso was on a very quick lap when Webber crashed. After that they had a trouble with the differential and he lose a few tenths in the second round. Still, he would have been closer to the Toyotas than to the BMWs.

According to flavio, Alonso did a decent lap on Q2 that got deleted due to Webber´s crash. Then they found an issue with the differential and the car loosed some time in the second try.

Both Alonso and Kimi will go much higher in fuel than the first cars fo the grid, so they will probably score some important points. They are also on the good side of the grid, which can lead to some fun moments on the start of the race.

Amazing performance from McLaren, they are way faster than i spected and lewis looked really solid on his fast lap.

And amazing performance from Kubica. Without the error on the last lap he would have done a historical pole position.

We are gonna have fun tomorrow, but i do really think that Hamilton is the strongest by far.... if he avoids kubika at the start and is able of keeping the tyres ok.

#137 papa

papa

• 495 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:40

Originally posted by Ferrim

Thanks for an info ..I read on RF1 blog that Alonso actually did a lap of 1:25,8 but this one
was not recognized because of red flag caused by Webber

and that in the next quick lap he was even faster,definitelly faster than Trulli prior to last sector
before mechanical problem ocurred....he could have gone maybe 1:25,7 which proves that in single
lap he is closer to Toyota then BMW...

not sure about the times(Alonso speaks more about 1:25,9)

given the fact that he expected problems in quallifying and is much more satisfied with the long run pace
he can achieve some points tomorrow...posiblly 6th position...

#138 pRy

pRy

• 10,925 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:44

For a team who many claimed would struggle to develop the car during the winter and whom many said would sink without Alonso.. they're doing pretty well at the moment.

#139 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:09

Originally posted by pRy
For a team who many claimed would struggle to develop the car during the winter and whom many said would sink without Alonso.. they're doing pretty well at the moment.

Early days. At 2006 bahrain the first race, Kimi had race winning pace. We know what happened after that.

Advertisement

#140 kismet

kismet

• 7,015 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:09

I actually thought McLaren looked surprisingly tame in qualifying trim. Maybe it had to do with fuel loads and/or not trying all that hard in Q1 and Q2 but they didn't look that much faster than BMW or even Ferrari. Maybe they'll be stronger in the race but nevertheless, it was a pleasant discovery that they can't just show up and monopolise the front row.

As a long-time, long-suffering Kimi Räikkönen fan, I totally "knew" something bad would happen to him and it duly did so no surprise there. Anyway, if he can survive the predicted first-lap carnage and Ferrari's apparent lack of reliability he may be capable of grabbing a couple of points tomorrow. It wouldn't be much but better than nothing. Regardless of how that goes, Ferrari looked faster than I feared they would so perhaps the season isn't quite lost yet. But they really do need to stop having stupid mechanical failures.

Thumbs up to my favourite (read: least annoying) teams BMW and Toyota and the generally competitive midfield. McLaren may well walk the race but at least there'll be some excitement behind them. And it isn't totally inconceivable that Felipe, should he survive the first lap, could even challenge for the race win if everything goes well. I don't think Ferrari are anywhere near as bad as the drama queens on the board are wailing/wishing they are.

#141 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:12

Originally posted by kismet
I don't think Ferrari are anywhere near as bad as the drama queens on the board are wailing/wishing they are.

Well said. I think that will be proven tomorrow. :up:

#142 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:15

Originally posted by former champ
Well said. I think that will be proven tomorrow. :up:

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Kimi will provide us with the fastest race pace once the road is open.

#143 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,174 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:15

And it isn't totally inconceivable that Felipe, should he survive the first lap, could even challenge for the race win if everything goes well. I don't think Ferrari are anywhere near as bad as the drama queens on the board are wailing/wishing they are.

+1 :up:

#144 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:17

Farrari seem to have lost the plot. I wonder how much of that you can put down to the Todt factor? Still, it´s only the first race of the season, but it doesn´t auger well.
Vettel is a revelation once again. :up:
Hamilton, so smoooooth, but I think the Mac is working really well and is in tune with the tyres. Some criticism of Kovi but I think he showed well first time in the car. He will only get stronger. Maybe he suffers from opening night nerves. :lol:
Here´s to a good, safe race. :wave:

#145 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:18

I actually thought McLaren looked surprisingly tame in qualifying trim. Maybe it had to do with fuel loads and/or not trying all that hard in Q1 and Q2 but they didn't look that much faster than BMW or even Ferrari. Maybe they'll be stronger in the race but nevertheless, it was a pleasant discovery that they can't just show up and monopolise the front row.

As a long-time, long-suffering Kimi Räikkönen fan, I totally "knew" something bad would happen to him and it duly did so no surprise there. Anyway, if he can survive the predicted first-lap carnage and Ferrari's apparent lack of reliability he may be capable of grabbing a couple of points tomorrow. It wouldn't be much but better than nothing. Regardless of how that goes, Ferrari looked faster than I feared they would so perhaps the season isn't quite lost yet. But they really do need to stop having stupid mechanical failures.

Thumbs up to my favourite (read: least annoying) teams BMW and Toyota and the generally competitive midfield. McLaren may well walk the race but at least there'll be some excitement behind them. And it isn't totally inconceivable that Felipe, should he survive the first lap, could even challenge for the race win if everything goes well. I don't think Ferrari are anywhere near as bad as the drama queens on the board are wailing/wishing they are.

Dude thats akmost creepy how negative your analysis sounded like... the weekend isnt playing into Kimis hands but the first race hasnt even started yet and everything is pretty much as open as when we believed Fisi would be fighting for points.. 15 mins ago...

#146 hsvone

hsvone

• 1,079 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:18

What are the odds for Massa throwing the Ferrari off into the scenery? Pretty good I'd say...

And now the drivers are actually working for their money. The cars are great to watch squirming around. :up:

#147 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:21

I read Kimi was on his in lap. Still he posted green sector 1 & 2. He also had to waste extra fuel on the out lap when he almost got to a stand still letting Robert Kubica through. My guess is that he simply ran out of fuel.

#148 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:23

Well, this is was a fantastic start to the season.

BMW is doing pretty well, but I still think the Mclarens and Ferraris didn't show their full potential on Q2.

But the most interesting thing is the Ferrari performance. They were expected to DOMINATE. They weren't expected to fight for pole with Mclaren and then get a 1-3, for instance. They were expected to get a 1-2 0.5 ahead of Hamilton.

And their car is both unreliable and not as fast as anyone thought.

Remember what I had been saying all winter long...

#149 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:24

Originally posted by StefanV
I read Kimi was on his in lap. Still he posted green sector 1 & 2. He also had to waste extra fuel on the out lap when he almost got to a stand still letting Robert Kubica through. My guess is that he simply ran out of fuel.

My good ol' micra developed a fuel pressure problem when it ran out of fuel :rolleyes:

#150 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,282 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:24

Originally posted by paranoik0

Ferrari - Wow, that was a disaster! ............................................................................................... Ferrari's position isn't as bad as it might first look, even if the reliability is worrying.

This makes a whole lot of sense.