Photo

Aus GP : Saturday Qualifying discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#351 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 23:52

Im surprised how little you guys are talking about the start. Standard ECU and no launch system whatsoever! I don't really see Kubica jumping Hamilton on the start as Macs will probably have an advantage, and RK will be on the dirty side of the track, no matter how light he is (but I don't think he is unusually light). Also, there is no chance he has not lost (or gained. C'mon!) time by his screw up. Cars on the sand = loss of speed and less grip in the next corners. Sliding the car doesn't win you any time, either. He did a great job on recovery, but he definitely lost more than 0.155 there.

And watch out for the softs, last weather report I read predicted a very hot race, so they will drop off dramatically (which will be magnified by no TC). A good thing as tyres management is something that can be controlled by the driver.

Advertisement

#352 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:13

If it's that hot, maybe they'll have a very short 3rd sting for the softs. 7 or 8 laps. :p

#353 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,112 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:37

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Only problem I see in new quali format is fuel saving mode after first try while returning to pits, there are now some really slow moving cars on the track.

Maybe drivers could be punished for running laps under 107% of pole.

#354 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:44

Originally posted by kar
In many ways Fernando's legacy will be shaped by this season. Standout and he will be remembered as a great. Fade away and he might be remembered as merely being in the right place at the right time.

I don't agree. Its nowhere near just about being in the right place at the right time. Look at Coulthard, Fisichella, Frentzen as recent examples. Becoming World Champion makes you a great driver to start with, whether they then go on to be a giant of the sport is another thing. Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Fangio etc were giants of the sport, Alonso is not there yet. The jury is still out on that but he has time.

He will never be in the category of 'right place, right time' though. IMO no World Champion is subject to that. You still have to perform, week in, week out and there is always a driver in the same car as you to contend with, not to mention other top cars (most seasons).

#355 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:58

Originally posted by Lada Lover

Maybe drivers could be punished for running laps under 107% of pole.

They're not going to set a laptime. They're crawling back to the pits. 107% of nothing is nothing:) Nothing to penalize on..

My opinion? Saturday. 60 minutes. 12 laps total. Just bring it back... :rolleyes:

#356 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:01

Originally posted by Slowinfastout

They're not going to set a laptime. They're crawling back to the pits. 107% of nothing is nothing:) Nothing to penalize on..

My opinion? Saturday. 60 minutes. 12 laps total. Just bring it back... :rolleyes:

Well I guess change it to 107% laps as well as to pits.

#357 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:03

Originally posted by wingwalker
Im surprised how little you guys are talking about the start. Standard ECU and no launch system whatsoever! I don't really see Kubica jumping Hamilton on the start as Macs will probably have an advantage, and RK will be on the dirty side of the track, no matter how light he is (but I don't think he is unusually light). Also, there is no chance he has not lost (or gained. C'mon!) time by his screw up. Cars on the sand = loss of speed and less grip in the next corners. Sliding the car doesn't win you any time, either. He did a great job on recovery, but he definitely lost more than 0.155 there.

And watch out for the softs, last weather report I read predicted a very hot race, so they will drop off dramatically (which will be magnified by no TC). A good thing as tyres management is something that can be controlled by the driver.

Start will be interesting, no doubt. Will we see wheel spin for the first time in... is it 10 years or more? If not, why?
I think there will be more talk about the start after we have seen it :)

#358 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:05

Originally posted by Domination

Well I guess change it to 107% laps as well as to pits.

Yes. Great idea. So when someone on a 100% lap is coming up behind they either block or get disqualified.

#359 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:12

Originally posted by modamas
So now Fernando is not in a top car, it seems nobody cares about him?
Where are all the "fans"? I´m very disappointed :( :down:

I'm here, and I care very much. I just haven't found the energy to be bothered with all the worthless BS that's been flung about on this board all winter. :)

He'll be all right. IMO, it'll do his introverted brain some good to be out of the limelight for a few months. He's probably relishing it in some ways. He seems to have his head screwed on better already, reading some of the interviews from this weekend.

They call it a "building year" in baseball, don't they? :lol:

Meh. $46 mill a year from Renault. Repeat: he'll be fine.

Advertisement

#360 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,688 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:08

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Kimi's only hope for win is safety car at the very right moment. I hope start goes well.
Last year Massa went 22.->6. and there was no safety car if I remember right.

Fuel loads total unknown at top10....

Steady work from Heikki.

Kubica fast as winter showed, one of drivers who benefited the new ECU.

How do you know its that ? The chances of the ECU being anything to do with Kubica doing quite well on pace are virtually nill.

#361 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,620 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:50

Originally posted by Alfisti

Still it backs up my claims that half the grid would win the WDC in a merc or a Ferrari, they just need to be driving it.

I don't think Heikki gaine d a second and Aolonso lost a second in 4 months. Same as I don't think Massa is better than he was a t Sauber, he's just driving a better car.

Exactly. Unfortunately there is only ever 4-6 cars capable of being in the front pack, and those without fade into the shadows of the "superstars", while if you took any of them and put them in Alonso's car they be also stuck in p10-p12 on the grid today as well.

#362 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:25

Originally posted by kar
I think the new qualifying system is a bit rubbish personally.

The speed differential is scary, the way that fuel isn't being given back means there is less reason for teams to go out and have a second shot and in some cases it is better for a car to not even participate in the session at all since it will save engine wear and fuel to just stay in the garage if you're only fighting for p7-p10.

Stupid changes aimed at reducing tedium has only added to it.

I cant see why they would be saving fuel at all considering they can just put in a bit extra at the start of the session. Saving fuel only helped when you get some back. Now if you want a 20 lap first race stint you just leave the pits with 26 laps of fuel, so you do 2 runs.

#363 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:21

So Kovalainen was four laps heavier in quali than Hamilton. He was 3.5 tenths slower. What's the fuel penalty in Albert park, usual one tenth a lap? Seems to me Heikki did allright in quali.

#364 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 15:39

Does anyone one have sector times of Hekki and Lewis in Q1?

Thanks

#365 archstanton

archstanton

• 425 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 15:42

Originally posted by TT6
So Kovalainen was four laps heavier in quali than Hamilton. He was 3.5 tenths slower. What's the fuel penalty in Albert park, usual one tenth a lap? Seems to me Heikki did allright in quali.

how exactly are you figuring who had more fuel than who ... tell me exactly how much was left in lewis' tank when he pitted early and then we can maybe begin to get somewhere here

#366 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 15:42

Originally posted by TT6

Lewis said they brought him in early both times, so as usual we know nothing.