Both 2013 Mercedes drivers have Yellow helmets. Who would give up? [split]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
223 replies to this topic

#51 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 00:17

Great topic :D

It's true, I loved the way the Mercedes were so easy to tell apart for the last 3 years, with the red Schumi and yellow Nico helmets. Nothing like the new-helmet-weekly Vettel and friends. Even Webber had a special helmet some races ago and I mixed him up with Vettel.

I agree though that Nico should change. Hami wont give up his homage to his idol Ayrton easily!

Advertisement

#52 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:48

If one of the drivers has to change, it should be Lewis.

After all, Nico was there first. This is Nico's team he's coming into. Why should Nico have to change anything?

#53 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:54

If one of the drivers has to change, it should be Lewis.

After all, Nico was there first. This is Nico's team he's coming into. Why should Nico have to change anything?

Who is Mercedes paying more? That might give you an idea of who they value more.

#54 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:00

I don't really care who gets to be Prince(ss) Yellow Helmet next year, but Nico please PLEASE change those freakin' gloves man.

Everytime I watch his onboard, I am reminded I still have to do the dishes.

Posted Image

#55 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:11

:lol:

#56 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:31

Ferrari had the same "problem" with MSC and Rb. MSC changed his colours

#57 dionisi

dionisi

• 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:32

Talking about Rubens, his newbie teammate in 2010 had similar design, if u remember and Rubens acted like gentleman and let Nico use that red and blue design

#58 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:52

I don't really care who gets to be Prince(ss) Yellow Helmet next year, but Nico please PLEASE change those freakin' gloves man.

Everytime I watch his onboard, I am reminded I still have to do the dishes.

Posted Image

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#59 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:03

On a more serious note, I don't feel that neither have to change their helmet. Despite both being yellow, they are distinctive enough.

Posted Image
Posted Image

They yellow variation and brightness factor is enough for me.

Advertisement

#60 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:35

At a glance when you see only a small part sticking out? I hardly think so. Remember the quality of the F1 feed is often not the best, so the yellows could look more alike than you wish for. Also, in for example Singapore the artificial lighting can make them look more alike.

#61 Daniel Lester

Daniel Lester

• 2,107 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:43

Isn't going to matter much, only time you'll see them is when the leaders feed in around them after a pitstop or when they retire from the race.

#62 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00

Still yellow at the top (Rosberg not amused...).
Posted Image

So Nico used to race under the Finnish flag? Never knew that...

#63 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:58

At a glance when you see only a small part sticking out? I hardly think so. Remember the quality of the F1 feed is often not the best, so the yellows could look more alike than you wish for. Also, in for example Singapore the artificial lighting can make them look more alike.

Can you tell apart Vergne and Ricciardo at a glance?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:01

If a change happens I think Hamilton will alter his helmet design.

He debuted a silver design at Singapore which I suspect will be revisited, all be it with perhaps with a design a little more aggressive so people know he's coming.

#65 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:37

just put their names on the car on the side pods like Mclaren did with Coulthard and Hakinnen when tobacco sponorship was outlawed in certain races.

#66 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:40

I doubt the commentators would be too happy, you already mistakes here and there as it is. With the same helmets, during a race, in the heat of the moment with the pressure of a live broadcast, it would be a nightmare for everyone. I think people need to think it through before they say let them both wear yellow, because the shade differences makes up for little in the heat of the moment.

Why should Merc gives a toss about commentators? If they make mistakes thats their own problem lots of same team drivers have been known to wear very similar helmets.

I'll be really disappointed in Nico Rosberg, Mercedes and Hamilton if they keep the colours or force Nico to change his colour. I honestly don't think Senna matters that much, and Nico needs to stand up for himself as the senior/longer serving driver in the team. And I'll be disappointed in Hamilton for refusing to let go of the past and forge a new identity for himself.

Wow talk about an overreaction :lol: You might want to start a protest

Edited by SunnyENTP, 10 October 2012 - 10:41.

#67 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:57

I do think that's so pathetic though. Formula One and Hamilton need to move on and start forging its own identity. Lewis Hamilton needs to grow up. He can't just barge himself into a team and keep his yellow helmet and force the other guy to change because he likes Senna.

I think you're placing way to much importance on it.

Then again, that might explain why Alesi was never that successful, as he couldn't move on from trying to be de Angelis.

#68 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59

Here's an idea. If Mercedes actually put legible competition numbers on the cars, like you have to in every other branch of motor sport, it wouldn't matter if both drivers had yellow helmets.

the fact that none of the cars have numbers you can read from the side of the track truly shows the distdain that F1 truly has for the trackside fans. I agree 100%

#69 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:02

On a more serious note, I don't feel that neither have to change their helmet. Despite both being yellow, they are distinctive enough.

Posted Image

They yellow variation and brightness factor is enough for me.

What happened to the blue?

Though I do generally agree that the shades of yellow are different enough to make the distinction (along with the T-cams). Lewis's is warmer than Nico's.

#70 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 13:17

Can you tell apart Vergne and Ricciardo at a glance?

[pics removed]

You first see the bright colors and they are practically the same. They have the same style, so you have to remember which one was blue and which one was silver on top. But these designs could be from any RB sponsored driver. No clear own design.

I do have to say, you learned helmets faster in the past due to being better visible with the driver sticking out of the car. Also the T-Cam provides a top down view, whereas the sidecameras of old always gave you a good view on the design.

#71 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 13:45

Why should they change their helmet paint schemes? And they have differently coloured T-cams. And onboard view isn't a problem if director used sidecam instead of T-cam, sidecam shows the side profile of helmet.

Btw, what brand of helmet will Lewis use next year? Both current Merc drivers used Schuberths, yet they used Schuberths already before arriving at Merc.

#72 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 13:53

Why should either change?

#73 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:03

Why hasn't anyone got a purple helmet?

#74 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:07

Because Eddie Jordan isn't a driver.

#75 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:33

I'm sure Vettel has used one with purple on (no surprise given he has used about 500 helmets right enough!)

#76 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:38

I'm sure Vettel has used one with purple on (no surprise given he has used about 500 helmets right enough!)

Found this on Google.

Posted Image

#77 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:18

watch some races and you will find out that u barely notice the colour , so two yellows will be massively confusing

#78 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 18:34

watch some races and you will find out that u barely notice the colour , so two yellows will be massively confusing

I swear the people here don't even watch Formula One. Let alone have ever attended a race live. It will be an absolute nightmare to see who is who. And for that one bloke who said why would Mercedes care, I can assure you, they will care when the (real) fans and the media have no clue what's going on and send some complaints. They're not in F1 to look like a bunch of fools, even if their race results suggest otherwise.

In fact I'd love to see these two pricks keep their helmet the same colour now and Mercedes try to brush it off, and we'll see how quickly the complaints roll in.

#79 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:37

I swear the people here don't even watch Formula One. Let alone have ever attended a race live. It will be an absolute nightmare to see who is who. And for that one bloke who said why would Mercedes care, I can assure you, they will care when the (real) fans and the media have no clue what's going on and send some complaints. They're not in F1 to look like a bunch of fools, even if their race results suggest otherwise.

In fact I'd love to see these two pricks keep their helmet the same colour now and Mercedes try to brush it off, and we'll see how quickly the complaints roll in.

Just in case you didn't notice:

Dont see a problem, just look at the T cam.... its not hard

Posted Image

Or are you just trying a bit of satire?

Advertisement

#80 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:43

T-bar is a good 2nd resort thing, but I think helmets are far more recognizable and ideally teammates should have distinguishable helmets. They dont have to obviously.

#81 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:05

T-bar is a good 2nd resort thing, but I think helmets are far more recognizable and ideally teammates should have distinguishable helmets. They dont have to obviously.

Obviously they don't have to. But King Six is placing a ridiculous importance on them. Thing is over the past few years I've got used to looking at the T-Cam first because drivers helmets have becoming less easy to distinguish, to say nothing of Vettel's habit of changing his all the time.

#82 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:09

The helmets are utterly different. Since 2011, Hamilton's lid has become much more green at the front. It will be easier than distinguishing between the STR duo anyway.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 October 2012 - 20:09.

#83 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:14

Who says drivers from the same team can't have helmets that have the same colour? For example, back in 2002 both Raikkonen and DC had helmets with a lot of blue. This year Ricciardo and Vergne have a lot of similarities in their helmets, they even have the same helmet top. The only difference they have is below the visor, which you hardly see when they're in the car.

Besides, you can easily spot differences between Lewis' helmet and Nico's helmet. Lewis has clear green, blue and red stripes on the sides and his helmet is a shade darker yellow than Nico's. Also, Nico has a lot of grey on his helmet too.

#84 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:39

You people are being intentionally obtuse. Those t-cams make little difference in a race and out there in real life.

#85 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27

I would like those markings back on the front and back wings. It was way easier to distinguish. You used to see different mirror colors as well. If I remember correctly McLaren used white and red when they were in Marlboro guise.
Look at an old start picture and you can tell the team mates from each other in most casaes.
The T-cam is not enough. Only the top of it is colored.

Both guys wearing yellow is a nightmare. Remember Schumacher? He went all red halfway 2000 when Barrichello came into the team. From a distance backmarkers thought they were racing Barrichello instead of being lapped by Schumacher. When you see a picture of his old helmet and Rubens, you can easily tell them apart. But when in a car @ 300km/h it doesn't work that way.

#86 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:18

This is amazing, as per Myrvold's and PapasYouRace's excellent research work, Ferrari would have had 27/28 for most of the time, coming back to have these numbers again and again, till today - what started with Villeneuve/Pironi. To me, the quintessential Ferrari numbers.

The only interlopers on 27/28 would have been McLaren and Benetton/Renault. Highly prestigious numbers.

Also the 3/4 for Tyrrell/BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes is such a number pair full of character (again, by the way, Pironi involved in these numbers).

It's a pity they have discontinued this number system - the present one, together with the fact, that you don't see the numbers on the cars (what do the sporting regulations say about this?) is much more anonymous, safe and except for the 1/2, of course.

The team didn't have their own numbers. The champion always got number 1, and the teammate number two. So, an example is 1979, Ferrari had 11 and 12, Lotus had 1 and 2. That year Jody Scheckter won, Ferrari then got the numbers 1 and 2, and Lotus got 11 and 12. Then, the 1980 champ. was won by Alan Jones in the Williams, that led to Williams and Ferrari switching numbers. It was then Ferrari got the 27&28 on the car. And as we all know, Ferrari never changed numbers until 1990 when Prost went to Ferrari after winning the champ. for McLaren. Which casued Ferrari to get 1 and 2, and McLaren 27&28. When Senna then went on to win in 1990, the switched again.
So, the only times Ferrari didn't use the number 27 between 1980 and 1995, that number went on to take the title.

This is also the reason why Tyrrell always had 3 and 4, when the number system was introduced in 1974, Tyrrell had ended the last season second in the constructor champ. And as we know, they never won a champ. again.

There was also some occasional rearragements to fill up empty places throughout the time, and the 1993 was a little strange, when Mansell won, and went to USA, McLaren and Williams still should've swapped, instead Benetton got the 5&6, and McLaren went to 7&8.

Then, the new teams got numbers when they joined, so, in 94, Pacific and Simtek got numbers higher than Sauber. Although in 95, they decided to "close the gap", and therefor Simtek got 11&12 Pacific 16&17 and Forti 21&22. The number 18 got "lost" when Leyton House went bust, and Fondmetal went from 1 to 2 cars.

Additional to this, new teams would only get new (and high) numbers when it was a truly new team. Leyton House bought March, and kept the numbers.

Which actually means that Brawn GP would've had the numbers 3&4 when Button took the champ, and with Button leaving for McLaren that had 1&2 that year, Mercedes would've kept the numbers, and actually been the only team that would've had the same numbers throughout history (as BAR bought out Tyrrell, Honda bought BAR, Brawn bought Honda, Merc bought Brawn).

If this made any sense? :)

Correct. Also, because of Schumacher's moving to Ferrari in 96, Benetton would have been 27&28 from then on. This would only have changed when Alonso won the championship for with them as Renault (unless the gaps were closed).

So if we continue with that system (and ignore filling gaps because those can't be predicted)

1996: Ferrari 1&2, Benetton 27&28
1997: Arrows 1&2, Ferrari 9&10
1998: Williams 1&2, Arrows 5,6
1999-2000: McLaren 1&2, Williams 7&8
2001-2005: Ferrari 1&2, McLaren 9&10
2006: Renault 1&2, Ferrari 27&28
2007: McLaren 1&2, Renault 9&10
2008: Ferrari 1&2, McLaren 27&28
2009-2010: McLaren 1&2, Ferrari 27&28
2011-2012: Red Bull 1&2, McLaren 11&12*

*Why 11&12? Because those were the first available numbers for Stewart when they started.

Today's numbers would therefore be:

1&2 Red Bull
3&4 Mercedes
7&8 Williams
9&10 Lotus
11&12 McLaren
14&15 Force India (via Jordan, Midland and Spyker)
23&24 Toro Rosso (via Minardi)
27&28 Ferrari
29&30 Sauber
+ Caterham, HRT and Murrusia which would have slotted in there somewhere.

As for the helmets: to me, the different shades of yellow for Lewis and for Nico are distinguishable enough, and both colors somehow "belong" to the driver personality.

What really puts me off is Sebastian's habit of always having new helmets each time he wins - does anyone know what his philosophy behind this frequent changing is?

#87 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:20

Posted Image

That's a beauty. Why does Sebastian not stick with that one?

#88 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,348 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:21

[...]
As for the helmets: to me, the different shades of yellow for Lewis and for Nico are distinguishable enough, and both colors somehow "belong" to the driver personality.

What really puts me off is Sebastian's habit of always having new helmets each time he wins - does anyone know what his philosophy behind this frequent changing is?

Isn't it a new helmet _every_ race (in F1)?

#89 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:22

Its every win, this season we saw a few helmets used at multiple races at the beginning of the year.

#90 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:34

Posted Image

Nico can do gangnam style, so Lewis should be the one to give up the yellow. :rotfl:

#91 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:46

You people are being intentionally obtuse. Those t-cams make little difference in a race and out there in real life.

No, I genuinely use the T-cams to tell the drivers apart because I find it easier. Sorry if that isn't how you do it.

#92 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:59

This is amazing, as per Myrvold's and PapasYouRace's excellent research work, Ferrari would have had 27/28 for most of the time, coming back to have these numbers again and again, till today - what started with Villeneuve/Pironi. To me, the quintessential Ferrari numbers.

The only interlopers on 27/28 would have been McLaren and Benetton/Renault. Highly prestigious numbers.

Also the 3/4 for Tyrrell/BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes is such a number pair full of character (again, by the way, Pironi involved in these numbers).

It's a pity they have discontinued this number system - the present one, together with the fact, that you don't see the numbers on the cars (what do the sporting regulations say about this?) is much more anonymous, safe and except for the 1/2, of course.

Glad you enjoyed it. But there is the big assumption that the numbers weren't closed up. This generally happened every 5 years or so. 1979, 1984, 1989 were the big re-shuffles. In fact there were no gaps at all in 1984 (at least for the regular runners and ignoring No.13). But there didn't seem to be any obvious system to those reshuffles, like why did Arrows change from 17&18 to 9&10 in 1989? So predicting how that would have gone is impossible.

#93 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 348 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:39

I really miss the simple designs drivers had on their helmets. If you had said to me "Draw Damon Hill's helmet" as a child, I would have been able to do it, no problems, just a blue helmet with some white bars - okay, he only had that helmet because of his dad, but I could have easily drawn David Coulthard's, or Rubens Barrichello's, or Martin Brundle's, etc. etc. Nowadays I would have to open photoshop just to do an approximation of Fernando Alonso's, or Vettel's, or di Resta's. I think the nicest, cleanest looking helmets in F1 are Nico Hulkenburg's, Pedro de la Rosa (thanks to him having started racing in the days when you had a flat cap for protection) and Jerome d'Ambrosio's.

#94 flavio81

flavio81

• 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:40

I really miss the simple designs drivers had on their helmets. If you had said to me "Draw Damon Hill's helmet" as a child, I would have been able to do it, no problems

That was a great helmet design.

You draw a good point (no pun intended); a great F1 racer oughta have a classic, nice helmet design.

Who could forget these cool and simple helmet designs?

Senna (Ayrton)
Nelson Piquet Sr
Damon Hill
Alain Prost
John Watson
Mika Hakkinnen
M. Schumacher

etc.

#95 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:07

Nobody has ever really been able to make a connection with Seb. He always has a new, more ridiculous helmet for every race. He's not forming a persona for himself, everyone just sees him as some Red Bull rent boy who can drive abit fast. He also refuses to join Twitter too, so he's lost that connection with the fans/outside world also. The guy could put in some extra effort into carving out a personality for himself, but that's just my opinion...

Edited by Mandzipop, 11 October 2012 - 20:23.
Quoting a deleted post

#96 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:48

Obviously they don't have to. But King Six is placing a ridiculous importance on them. Thing is over the past few years I've got used to looking at the T-Cam first because drivers helmets have becoming less easy to distinguish, to say nothing of Vettel's habit of changing his all the time.

They are becoming harder to distinguish in a lot of cases, which is why I'd prefer it if they made them a little more different from their teammates. Except for the hardcore F1 fans, most people aren't going to be able to tell that Lewis' helmet has a bit more green on the front of it lately, or that Nico's shade of yellow is slightly 'yellower' or whatever. Hell, even I dont notice things that closely, and I'm watching in HD on a 42" screen, which not everyone will have either.

The t-bar is equally less useful for casual watchers, and perhaps you've trained yourself to look for them, but I dont think its the way most people do it, nor is it all that 'uniquely' exciting as distinguishable helmet designs.

And yea, that purple Vettel one is real nice and I'm not usually a fan of purple.

Nobody has ever really been able to make a connection with Seb. He always has a new, more ridiculous helmet for every race. He's not forming a persona for himself, everyone just sees him as some Red Bull rent boy who can drive abit fast. He also refuses to join Twitter too, so he's lost that connection with the fans/outside world also. The guy could put in some extra effort into carving out a personality for himself, but that's just my opinion...

Personally, Vettel seems like one of the more 'characterful' guys on the grid. I really dont know how you've come to this conclusion and what it has to do with helmets.

Edited by Seanspeed, 11 October 2012 - 17:51.

#97 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:03

Why should either of them give up their helmet design/color? This whole discussion is fake. The y will be perfectly distinguishable as they are. There is no rule that restricts helmet colors within a team. It will be ok. I doubt anybody cares though, much ado about nothing.

#98 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:06

This whole discussion is fake.

Posted Image

#99 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:10

Too many idiots in this thread who say they should both have the same colour, I want it to happen now just so they can see for themselves.

It's either that or everyone wants Rosberg to change, Hamilton can't because he's Hamilton and also because Senna. And Senna is untouchable. :down: :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#100 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:15

Too many idiots in this thread who say they should both have the same colour, I want it to happen now just so they can see for themselves.

It's either that or everyone wants Rosberg to change, Hamilton can't because he's Hamilton and also because Senna. And Senna is untouchable. :down: :rolleyes:

It will most possibly happen. Nobody will care. The helmets are perfectly distinguishable. Wash your mouth before you post.