* * * - - 2 votes

Both 2013 Mercedes drivers have Yellow helmets. Who would give up? [split]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
223 replies to this topic

#201 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:24

I instinctively look at drivers helmets (not those ones...) to tell the difference but now both Merc and Toro Rosso drivers have very similar ones i might actually start paying more attention to the T-cams, i'd presume Nico would get the orange one (deemed the number 1 driver for FIA purposes i think) because he's not the new boy.

Advertisement

#202 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:24

T-Cam, Mercedes logo on the front of the helmets, the shade of yellow, the car number, the green around Hamilton's visor. There's enough to easily distinguish them without having to think too hard, perish the thought.

#203 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:38

T-Cam, Mercedes logo on the front of the helmets, the shade of yellow, the car number, the green around Hamilton's visor. There's enough to easily distinguish them without having to think too hard, perish the thought.

I don't think any of them are the easiest thing to spot at 200mph and/or from a distance.

#204 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:07

What a ridiculous reason to change helmet design. They'll do what they want.

If a viewer can't tell the two apart on the track he/she should try harder or keep quiet.

If that's how they feel about their fans, then they have no problem. I doubt you will hear either of them say that, though. Wonder why.

#205 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:10

I instinctively look at drivers helmets (not those ones...) to tell the difference but now both Merc and Toro Rosso drivers have very similar ones i might actually start paying more attention to the T-cams, i'd presume Nico would get the orange one (deemed the number 1 driver for FIA purposes i think) because he's not the new boy.

Yup 9 and 10

Plus Lewis is bound to have a number of "specials" which might help with distinguishing between the two.

#206 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:22

Posted Image

#207 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:27

If only Rosberg had a blue and white helmet like back in the days. Either ways I hope they will remain friends through the hardship that is ahead.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#208 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:29

I hope the MB team could do us a favor and learn the Ferrari way in the 1980's , by putting additional straps on the front wings and rear wings ( check Berger's car )

http://www.racingdio...raridiorama.jpg

Edited by SB, 05 February 2013 - 01:29.

#209 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:15

It's a bit annoying but to be honest anyone claiming this makes it harder to tell which car is which or something...I'm sorry but if you can't instantly tell which car it is from its position on the track/race, you're not paying close enough attention to the race.

Of course it will be Nico in P8 dicing with the Saubers and Hammy in P13 having a squabble with Maldonado. Easy. :cool:

#210 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49

I hope the MB team could do us a favor and learn the Ferrari way in the 1980's , by putting additional straps on the front wings and rear wings ( check Berger's car )

That's not such a bad idea for general use, leaving the helmet colours out of it. Like the rookie stripe in NASCAR. It could be like an extension of the T-cam (WHICH IS NOT HARD TO SEE), red stripes on one car, yellow on the other.

Personally I think the attitude of the Hamilton fans in this thread has been disgusting. Why should Nico be forced to give up his helmet scheme just because Hamilton was coming there? Nico is the established driver in the team, he was there first, and he should get the right to keep or discard his helmet design at HIS choice, not because a few stroppy Hamilton fans think the red carpet should be rolled out for him eveywhere.

#211 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12

These wing markings should be on every car. When you see the 'smog' GP's, you could easily miss the brighter yellow from one of the drivers.

Don't forget, currently, most camera angles are down the straight. You can't see the number and when it's low enough you hardly see the T-com, from the front it is only a small bar, easily missed. Also a view from the back when they enter a straight still leaves the driver in front to be guessed. Starting numbers are hardly distuingishable from the distance they are filming now. Also, more and more cars are 'reflective' or have metallic paint jobs. It reflects light so you can see numbers even worse.

#212 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:57

Why should we be worried about this? :rotfl: Just look at the first Mercedes coming blasting through your screen, it's going to be Hamilton, then Rosberg will follow :p

#213 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:08

Posted Image

Good shot of the helmets together.

Edited by jrg19, 05 February 2013 - 22:09.

#214 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:10

I don't think any of them are the easiest thing to spot at 200mph and/or from a distance.

Live, perhaps but it's absolutely no problem on TV where the cars do not look at all like they're going at those speeds.

#215 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:16

Posted Image

Great Picture. Thank you sooo much.

Still will be hard to tell at speed.

#216 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:38

I watched a football game the other day. It was hopeless. On both teams, ten of the players wore exactly the same kit. Only the two blokes who were standing around at each end of the field wearing gloves had different coloured kit. How was I supposed to tell one player from another?

#217 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:46

why not paint Lewis's visor strip in turquoise instead of grey.

#218 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:54

I watched a football game the other day. It was hopeless. On both teams, ten of the players wore exactly the same kit. Only the two blokes who were standing around at each end of the field wearing gloves had different coloured kit. How was I supposed to tell one player from another?

Football's a completely different ball game (  ;) ), you can tell players apart using a combination of their height, hair colour, the way they run, different boots and the big number on the back of their shirts, plus they're not flying past you in a flash, they run around a limited rectangular field which is within eye sight the whole time.

Its not hard to tell F1 drivers apart using their helmets but looking at the helmet becomes instinctive, looking at the T-cams isn't hard but its not the first thing you go to when you look at the car. Don't get me wrong its not a problem to look at the t-cam, just not the easiest solution.

#219 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:56

It's remarkably easy. You just adapt to it and it will become as second nature as looking at the helmets. You're still looking for a colour difference, it's just a little higher up.

Advertisement

#220 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:03

Football's a completely different ball game ( ;) ), you can tell players apart using a combination of their height, hair colour, the way they run, different boots and the big number on the back of their shirts, plus they're not flying past you in a flash, they run around a limited rectangular field which is within eye sight the whole time.

Wait a mo, you might be on to something there....... ;)

#221 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:08

Posted Image

The shades of yellow are quite a bit different. Nico's is much brighter where's Lewis's is dimmer.

#222 Rosaudio

Rosaudio

• 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:12

I dont see how people will get confused to be honest.

The difference in shades is quite distinctive.

#223 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:12

I think the argument about helmet colours is really very silly.

I would like to see all the cars have larger and more clearly marked numbers, maybe even on the nose and sides (oh no! precious ad space!). They seem to have shrunk rather.

#224 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:15

Posted Image

Both of them looking sharp, I liked Lewis' previous helmet even more for some reason. Love his and Fernando's helmets during the Monaco/Singaporean grand prix.