Photo

Minichamps BAR Honda 006 2004 - Black Test Car Conversion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanGB

DanGB

• 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 20:43

This is my first post in this section - I'm a collector of diecast F1 models (primarily Jenson Button) and thought I'd share with you a recent modification project I completed earlier this week, so I hope this is the right forum.

A couple of years a go I purchased a decal sheet to turn a standard Minichamps BAR Honda 006 into the black test car that they ran in winter testing at the end of the 2004 season. 

Starting out with the car and the decal sheet...

BAR-Test-01.jpg

First step, strip the decals...

BAR-Test-03.jpg

Then I dismantled the car as much as possible before setting about the paint. This was a laborious process - the paint was thick and very resistant to most methods of paint removal, so it took a lot of sanding, elbow grease and patience to get it sufficiently ready for a re-spray.

BAR-Test-05.jpg

metal.jpg

Primed and ready for some colour...

Gloss6.jpg

Which went well...

Gloss3.jpg

But not quite perfect. Pushed my luck, tried to touch up some areas that looked a little thin and ruined it. The paint started running and in attempting to wash it off while it was wet, I made a big mess of it...

mishap.jpg

So, off with the paint once more (easier this time, thankfully!) and start over...

Gloss5.jpg

Gloss7.jpg

With the parts off the car, it was a good chance to add some detail with carbon fibre decal.

BAR-Test-04.jpg

Update05.jpg

Update01.jpg

Although I got the original aerials off in once piece, they proved almost impossible to re-attach to the car, so I fashioned my own from some craft wire and anchored them in with super glue...

Update02.jpg

Update03.jpg

Final little challenge was to fix a decal on the sheet that's incorrect. The three bands on the engine cover are printed in silver, but should in fact be white with some black speckles, so I ordered a sheet of white decal and made my own replacements. 

chevron.jpg

And then it's just a question of applying the livery and re-attaching the parts...

chevron2.jpg

chevron3.jpg

And finally, a shot of the finished model! 

chevron5.jpg

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 22:56

A word of warning - Never be tempted to strip the paint with Nitromors.  I tried it on a kit when the paint had gone wrong - it dissolved the glue.  You never learn though, I also tried it on a resin body I'd painted badly - it dissolved the body.  :mad:

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 16:15

Fine job - I particularly like the look of the composite weave decal. Well done.

DCN

#4 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:08

Some lovely work there.

Are you a member here www.f1m.com ?

You should be!

#5 DanGB

DanGB

• 55 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 15:35

Thank you for the comments.

D-Type - I couldn't use any paint stripper, especially not nitromors, since there were a few plastic pieces that stubbornly refused to leave the car and stripper would have melted them.

Hamish - I've posted on there a few times, but as I primarily collect Minichamps diecasts and 1:2 helmets, the GPL forum is more suited to me.

Edited by DanGB, 03 December 2015 - 15:35.