Photo

"View new content" and search not working

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#251 Cirio

Cirio

• 282 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 18:06

I'm using Opera now since the Firefox mess, and the new content still doesn't work.

Advertisement

#252 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 19:52

Three week anniversary and not a scintilla of hope.  :down:

#253 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 19:59

Actually have worked again (almost) since some days ago.

:cool:

#254 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 20:12

Not in Firefox or IE.

#255 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 20:14

I am Opera.

:cool:

#256 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 22:17

I'd not read the 'Motorsport Network acquires Autosport' thread until today, and in it found this gem.

To answer the main question being asked in this thread (and the other threads on the same subject) and to put a few minds at rest...

Zak Brown (Motorsport Network's chairman) has stated that "All that is best about Autosport and its sister businesses will be preserved" and has promised more investment in our brands than we would have been able to get at Haymarket.

Hopefully, this means that the improvements to the site which we've been promising (front page customisation, better driver and team pages, a working search function which doesn't bounce you back to our classic site, etc) will come a bit sooner as a result of these changes. You won't see any drastic changes in the short term - as you can see from our coverage of the buildup to this weekend's racing, it's very much business as usual.

As for the Forums - I certainly think that they fall under "all that is best" about the site and see no reason why our new owners should have a different view of this!

It is now how many weeks since the latest failure of View New Content/Search? With no apparent progress.

Any update Grayson? Or are we living in a fools paradise even thinking that the problem may be fixed?  Perhaps this problem may fall into the 'business as usual' category, it certainly is not unusual :rolleyes:

#257 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 21:52

Maybe the Motorsport Network can sort out something that every other forum in the world has had working since about 1994.

#258 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:17

And now the search function is borked.  It is not finding posts that I know exist.

#259 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:39

It’s all part and parcel, I suspect. As Milestone 11 pointed out earlier in this thread, something went seriously wrong at around 18.30 on 20th November. Anything posted since then will not be found by the search engine, and thus won’t show up in new content. It would be nice to have just a little bit of feedback please, Grayson & Co.

Advertisement

#260 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:48

One month anniversary imminent, we'll have to switch to 'last six months' to get a result.

:down:

#261 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:22

It’s all part and parcel, I suspect. As Milestone 11 pointed out earlier in this thread, something went seriously wrong at around 18.30 on 20th November. Anything posted since then will not be found by the search engine, and thus won’t show up in new content. It would be nice to have just a little bit of feedback please, Grayson & Co.

Yes, but I'm afraid it's not a positive one.

The problem has definitely been identified (it's a problem with the indexing of posts rather than the search functionality or the "view new content" feature) but the team haven't managed to fix this yet. With our developers taking time off over Christmas (they're "on call" for urgent crises and time-sensitive work such as making sure that the Christmas Quiz goes live), it's unlikely that we'll have a solution to this before the New Year.

If that's the case, I'll try to make sure that we can treat this as a top priority fix in the first week of the New Year.

#262 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 20:35

"Content I have not read' seems to have stopped working now as well, probably at the same time 'since last month' stopped working.  Only five eleven months before the whole search function shuts down...

Edited by GreenMachine, 03 January 2018 - 00:19.

#263 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 00:22

"Content I have not read' seems to have stopped working now as well, probably at the same time 'since last month' stopped working.  Only five eleven months before the whole search function shuts down...

I posted earlier about there being new content in 'content I have not read' that did not appear in the 'new since last x months' categories. Now that 'content I have not read' is not working, when I go to TTF, TNF and RC forums I find the same. I presume this is just another manifestation of the indexing problem, stated for the record and for the benefit of any readers.

#264 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 17:20

Good news - it looks like we may have found a solution.

The problem was that the size of the indexed database is far larger than normal forum software can manage. That's why it's relatively rare that you'll see a forum with many millions of posts which allows you to search the entire archive!

It might take a little while for the new version of the index to bed in properly, so let's see how this is looking over the weekend...

#265 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 20:47

Good grief, Carruthers, it looks like those boffin chappies may have got the old crate going again!

Searches for 'fingers crossed' emoji, fails to find one, gives up.

#266 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,646 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 19:58

So far, so good. :up:

#267 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 14:25

Great stuff, guys, it works!

#268 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 17:19

It's working for me, too. Please don't touch anywhere.

#269 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 19:34

I'm not seeing new content. It's been doing this for a couple of days. I've tried clearing my autosport forum cookies to no avail. I'm using Chrome.

Edited by chdphd, 20 October 2018 - 07:59.

#270 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 13:47

I am the resurrection....of old threads.

I recently returned to the forum after a year out, and last time I was here it definitely used to take me to the latest message in a thread I'd previously read. This no longer seems to happen, no matter on what device I am accessing the forums...

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

#271 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 14:43

I am the resurrection....of old threads.

I recently returned to the forum after a year out, and last time I was here it definitely used to take me to the latest message in a thread I'd previously read. This no longer seems to happen, no matter on what device I am accessing the forums...

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Is this only happening with old threads, or ones you have read since your return? If only on old threads, then I think this is probably because of your previous request to disable your account. The only way we can do that is to ban the account - this would probably have erased all your previous browsing history.

#272 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 17:04

No it's everything, even a new thread I created today in the Paddock forum does it.

#273 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,419 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 16:52

”View new content” doesn’t work for me. Anyone else having the same issue?

#274 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,801 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 23:38

It's been broken for me for years