* * * * - 2 votes

W Series 2019

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2344 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:59

The W Series wants to held races with 18-20 female racing drivers. But who could that be?

Sophia Flörsch (although she didn't wants to drive there)

Beitske Visser

Amna Al Quabaisi

Jamie Chadwick

Tatiana Calderón

Michelle Halder

Carrie Schreiner

Advertisement

#2 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:28

Alice Powell seems interested.

If I was selected to join W Series and I won it, I would use that money to move into GTs, or further up the formula ladder; whatever opportunities that came from winning the series. And those opportunities will come, and they wouldn’t have without W Series. 

#3 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:30

Bring back Danica!  :wave:

#4 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:33

So 8 drivers then (with at least one who didn't want to drive).

Sophia Flörsch (although she didn't wants to drive there)

Beitske Visser

Amna Al Quabaisi

Jamie Chadwick

Tatiana Calderón

Michelle Halder

Carrie Schreiner

Alice Powell

#5 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:40

They're going to get female drivers from a variety of classes. Stéphane Kox says she has been approached, and she drives in GT4. She says they had a long list and they're now getting it down to a shorter list.

You could make a list like:

Tatiana Calderon (GP3)
Jamie Chadwick (F3)
Sophia Flörsch (F3)
Amna Al Qubaisi (F4)
Miki Koyama (F4)
Alexandra Mohnhaupt (F3/F4)
Marylin Niederhauser (F4)
Julia Pankiewicz (Formula Renault)
Sabre Cook  (USF2000)
Beitske Visser (GT4)
Chelsea Angelo (GT3)
Bianca Anton (GT4)
Laura Kraihamer (GT4)
Ashley Freiberg (GT4)
Sarah Bovy (GT3/Blancpain)
Esmee Hawkey (Porsche Carrera Cup)
Katilyn Hawkins (APC)
Chelsea Herbert (NZ V8)
Amy Smith (NZ Formula First)
Nicole Behar (Nascar K&N)
Julia Landauer (Nascar K&N)
Carmen Boix Gil (Nascar Whelen)
Ellexandra Best (Toyota 86)
Michelle Halder (STT)
Francesca Linossi (Super Trofeo)
Carrie Schreiner (Super Trofeo)
Jasmin Preisig (TCR)
Jessica Bäckman (TCR/STCC)
Vivien Keszthelyi (Audi LMS Cup)
Michelle Gatting (DTC)

there are some more girls in the junior categories in the US/AUS and perhaps regional F4 etc.

perhaps even:

Simona De Silvestro (V8 supercars)
Christina Nielsen (Imsa)

I guess the idea is to promote female racing and show girls what is possible. Might be interesting for someone like Marta Garcia, who's in karting and taking wins.

#6 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:46

Stephane Kox has been approached by the series according to herself.

Edited by Beri, 17 October 2018 - 13:47.

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 13:48

Gosia Rdest is missing perhaps...

Mohnhaupt isn't racing any more, is she?

And what happened to Garcìa?

#8 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 14:03

Emily Linscott and Abby Pulling competed in the Ginetta Junior Championship (UK) this season - although it's a (mini-)sportscar series, it's often used by young drivers (most notably Lando Norris) to transition between karts and single-seaters due to its low minimum age limit.

#9 Grippy

Grippy

• 427 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 14:17

I'm always surprised that Sarah Moore (UK 24 yr old) is never mentioned in these lists. She won Ginetta Junior Championship UK in 2009 and overall has an 8.5% win and 22% podium rate over her career, so is more than competent. I read she prefers tin-tops to single seaters, so that might be the reason.

I'd prefer more sponsoring of women within current series, rather than a separate championship, as the current proposal smacks more of the organisers seeing a way to make money, rather than furthering women's careers, although I could be wrong.

(I can't post links, possibly due to lack of posts).

#10 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 15:13

Danica Patrick must be in.

Edited by Branislav, 17 October 2018 - 15:13.

#11 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 15:59

cora schumacher

#12 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 225 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 16:50

Charlie Martin

#13 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 17:56

They're going to get female drivers from a variety of classes. Stéphane Kox says she has been approached, and she drives in GT4. She says they had a long list and they're now getting it down to a shorter list.

You could make a list like:

Tatiana Calderon (GP3)
Jamie Chadwick (F3)
Sophia Flörsch (F3)
Amna Al Qubaisi (F4)
Miki Koyama (F4)
Alexandra Mohnhaupt (F3/F4)
Marylin Niederhauser (F4)
Julia Pankiewicz (Formula Renault)
Sabre Cook  (USF2000)
Beitske Visser (GT4)
Chelsea Angelo (GT3)
Bianca Anton (GT4)
Laura Kraihamer (GT4)
Ashley Freiberg (GT4)
Sarah Bovy (GT3/Blancpain)
Esmee Hawkey (Porsche Carrera Cup)
Katilyn Hawkins (APC)
Chelsea Herbert (NZ V8)
Amy Smith (NZ Formula First)
Nicole Behar (Nascar K&N)
Julia Landauer (Nascar K&N)
Carmen Boix Gil (Nascar Whelen)
Ellexandra Best (Toyota 86)
Michelle Halder (STT)
Francesca Linossi (Super Trofeo)
Carrie Schreiner (Super Trofeo)
Jasmin Preisig (TCR)
Jessica Bäckman (TCR/STCC)
Vivien Keszthelyi (Audi LMS Cup)
Michelle Gatting (DTC)

there are some more girls in the junior categories in the US/AUS and perhaps regional F4 etc.

perhaps even:

Simona De Silvestro (V8 supercars)
Christina Nielsen (Imsa)

I guess the idea is to promote female racing and show girls what is possible. Might be interesting for someone like Marta Garcia, who's in karting and taking wins.

This is a very interesting list, showing there are already female drivers at levels in vicinity of classes we have threads on in this forum - There are actually more than I had expected, and some are missing. Unless they gave up and are not racing anymore (Girls who were racing Go-Kart I thought had moved). 

Silvestro and Nielsen definitely belong on the list.

:cool:

#14 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 17:57

I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess not Pippa Mann...

#15 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 18:44

I think the likes of Floersch, Chadwick and Calderon would be really daft to turn their backs on their current positions, competing equally against everyone, for this tbh. Why would they? They've got where this series is trying to get people already without its help.

Also a backwards step for Motorsport if we lost the few females who were competing on the ladder, surely?

#16 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 18:54

I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess not Pippa Mann...

I don't know any backstory so I'll ask here:  Why not?  

#17 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:00

Are transgender drivers allowed? If not I hope they take the organisers to task....

#18 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 5,271 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:17

I think the likes of Floersch, Chadwick and Calderon would be really daft to turn their backs on their current positions, competing equally against everyone, for this tbh. Why would they? They've got where this series is trying to get people already without its help.

Also a backwards step for Motorsport if we lost the few females who were competing on the ladder, surely?

I assume with only 6 races they'd also continue to race in the normal series and can use this as a chance to win some funding?

#19 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:20

Sabine Schmitz would wipe the floor with all of them.

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:24

Much as I do not like the idea of a gender based series, then over 6 races would be interesting to see how it would pan out.. who of them would be the best, how close would they be to each other? Would one stand out as way above all the others? If so, would she then not be a good choice for a targeted campaign, sponsoring her towards F1? Or at least front running F3, and F2 teams?

:cool:

#21 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:54

I don't know any backstory so I'll ask here: Why not?

Very vocally against it.

#22 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 19:57

10 years too late for Cathy Legge... It would be more meaningful if the winner was guaranteed a competetive seat in F2.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 17 October 2018 - 19:58.

#23 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 20:01

Very vocally against it.

Now I remenber.  Thanks!

Edited by eibyyz, 17 October 2018 - 20:02.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 20:08

10 years too late for Cathy Legge... It would be more meaningful if the winner was guaranteed a competetive seat in F2.

Meh... she don’t need this.

IMSA is building an entire team around her with some of the best and most accomplished female talent.

https://www.motorspo...eatriz/3193963/

#25 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 22:41

228-CB2-DB-CE47-4199-9016-B0904-A3-EE9-D

We had a good laugh over the whole topic on Friday.
Jp

#26 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:07

Lyn Saint James!

#27 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:22

If they are serious about this series, it’s the whole team that needs to be all female. Why focus just on the drivers?

#28 taran

taran

• 4,464 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:38

Well, Floersch and Calderon have been totally anonymous in their series and will likely not have much of a future in single seat racing with the kind of non results they have been getting. Chadwick is better but does British F3 still carry any cachet anymore?

So with the possible exception of Chadwick, most of these women aren't getting the results when competing equally so its not as if they have much to lose by switching to Formula W. In a good year, they might just about finish in the top 15 of F3 or GP3 which will not give them much media attention or driving laurels. Winning the W might help them more....YMMV

#29 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:56

Well, Floersch and Calderon have been totally anonymous in their series and will likely not have much of a future in single seat racing with the kind of non results they have been getting. Chadwick is better but does British F3 still carry any cachet anymore?

So with the possible exception of Chadwick, most of these women aren't getting the results when competing equally so its not as if they have much to lose by switching to Formula W. In a good year, they might just about finish in the top 15 of F3 or GP3 which will not give them much media attention or driving laurels. Winning the W might help them more....YMMV

Flörsch is still just 17. She didn’t even start the year in F3 and she’s not in a competitive team. I’d be interested in seeing her having a full year in F3 next year. Calderón should move on from single seaters. She’s been around long enough. Chadwick is a good racer and but I don’t know if she is fast enough to climb the single seater ladder. Maybe she should go back to GT’s.

I don’t see how racing in Formula W will change anything for these girls though.

#30 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:20

Are transgender drivers allowed? If not I hope they take the organisers to task....

That thought also came to my mind, I seem to recall women not being to happy in other sports when a transgender person turns up and starts to win.

#31 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:54

I think the likes of Floersch, Chadwick and Calderon would be really daft to turn their backs on their current positions, competing equally against everyone, for this tbh. 

Jamie Chadwick has been speaking about doing W Series as well as other series rather than "turning her back" on mixed series:

I'm a racing driver and, if I could, I would race 365 days of the year.

I will still race against men in other championships but W Series is the perfect supplement to help me develop and progress further through the junior motorsport ranks.

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:37

Charlie Martin?

Certainly an interesting question, and Charlie should attempt to take part to at least make a case about it.

#33 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 13:17

never heard if that transgender driver. Interesting story!

Emily Di Comberti, co-owner of KDC Racing (Formula 4 team of Monisha Kaltenborn) is also transgender I heard.

#34 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 13:18

Sabine Schmitz would wipe the floor with all of them.

I think the series will just open to young drivers...

#35 secessionman

secessionman

• 347 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 15:14

I think the series will just open to young drivers...

In June 2017 they approached Pippa Mann who is now 35.

For anyone who hasn't read her blog post it's a scathing attack on the organisers of the series and the principle behind it. It also suggests that her opinion is shared by many female compatriots and most within the motorsport community.

http://www.pippamann...-racing-series/

#36 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 17:15

Certainly an interesting question, and Charlie should attempt to take part to at least make a case about it.

Another telling argument against this compartmentalisation of female racers.  Up to now, everyone including transgender and indeed the disabled could compete in motorpsort on an equal footing.  Even if your uncle is your auntie, it is all the same on the starting grid. 

If I thought that the W Series would really help female racers get on, I would support it even if it was against the spirit of the sport, but like previous similar efforts, it will be a nine days wonder that won't help anyone - except the organisers who will be able to preen about their credentials as champions of the oppressed.

#37 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,095 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:02

There is a simple solution.  Base it on sex and not gender.

#38 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:18

In June 2017 they approached Pippa Mann who is now 35.

For anyone who hasn't read her blog post it's a scathing attack on the organisers of the series and the principle behind it. It also suggests that her opinion is shared by many female compatriots and most within the motorsport community.

http://www.pippamann...-racing-series/

Sabine Schmitz is 49 though.

Would be a bit silly to invite people that old to race if their stated intention is to promote young female drivers who could possibly drive in F1 in the future.

#39 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:08

So it’s formula Young W. ?
Ageists bastards

Jp

Advertisement

#40 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:37

Isn’t every F3 series a young formula? The age limit for Euro F3 is 15-25 year olds as far as I remember.

#41 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:45

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky. 

The only female driver to win a race in STCC. And she is only 25.

And ex girl friend to Max Verstappen.

https://www.touringc...rlskoga-race-2/

#42 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:48

There is a simple solution. Base it on sex and not gender.

Surely it should should be the other way around? They have said that the reason women are struggling is because of a lack of opportunity and sponsorship. There is no biological reason that women can’t reach the same level as men.

#43 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 14:23

Surely it should should be the other way around? They have said that the reason women are struggling is because of a lack of opportunity and sponsorship. There is no biological reason that women can’t reach the same level as men.

Well, that's not true. Simple. Just look at all the sports. For example speed skating, swimming, football/soccer, running a marathon, other athletic sports, etcetera..
There is virtually no discipline where any female athlete is better than a man. Not even when getting an equal treatment on training and sponsorships.

#44 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 14:55

Well, that's not true. Simple. Just look at all the sports. For example speed skating, swimming, football/soccer, running a marathon, other athletic sports, etcetera..
There is virtually no discipline where any female athlete is better than a man. Not even when getting an equal treatment on training and sponsorships.

Well, that's not true. Simple. Just look at all the sports. For example riding, shooting, chess, motor sport etc. There are many sports where best women beat most men.

#45 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 15:06

You name chess a sport? Dear me, I will not even reply to this.

#46 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 15:39

Well, that's not true. Simple. Just look at all the sports. For example riding, shooting, chess, motor sport etc. There are many sports where best women beat most men.

I don't think women in riding and shooting are harping that they are in that sport to beat the men.

#47 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 16:16

You name chess a sport? Dear me, I will not even reply to this.

When your ideology is that women are perfectly equal to men with everything, you begin to define just about everything rather loosely.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 16:31

I don't think that it is about woman not being physically or mentally as able as men (not true anyway) nor about the lack of opportunities for females.   It is simply that 99% of boys want to be racing drivers and 99% of girls don't.  And all the politically correct posturing isn't going to change that.

#49 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 16:46

I don't think that it is about woman not being physically or mentally as able as men (not true anyway) nor about the lack of opportunities for females.   It is simply that 99% of boys want to be racing drivers and 99% of girls don't.  And all the politically correct posturing isn't going to change that.

In any case the trick is to ensure that, even if statistically there is a huge difference in interest, the girls who would want to be a racing driver are not disadvantaged at any stage in their quest because they are girls. And I would ague that that includes the stage of thinking 'is this something other people who are like me do?' which does kind of, on some level, govern our decision making whether we like it or not. 

I can't say if W-series is the right fit for that - it's not the route I would have gone with - but hey ho.

#50 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 17:21

There is a simple solution.  Base it on sex and not gender.

Could liven up the scrutineering...