Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Haas F1 2019: The Grosjean and Magnussen Never Ending Tour, and other stories from Kannapolis/Banbury

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#101 Stallknecht

Stallknecht

• 313 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 20:56

https://twitter.com/...2608011264?s=21

Seems like Magnussen maybe broke some kind of deal between him and Grosjean?

Advertisement

#102 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:02

https://twitter.com/...2608011264?s=21

Seems like Magnussen maybe broke some kind of deal between him and Grosjean?

Naah, more like PF1 that loves to make mountains out of nothing. That site lives on repeating what others said/wrote and loves to twisting those words. The conversation talked about might as well be GS wanting to tell KMag "Well done and don't be to hard on Grosjean".

As for the two drivers my take is that Grosjean had been harder on his tires than KMag, so at the restart he had less grip left and maybe he also hadn't let them get a bit cold or he was simply napping. Clearly KMag wasn't napping and had Grosjean not made things a little difficult he might have grabbed spot #6 as well.

#103 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,806 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 21:14

Look who I found.. Didn't know he came from WRC!

0nm0Lkp.png

#104 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 21:55

Look who I found.. Didn't know he came from WRC!

0nm0Lkp.png

Cool find.

The guy got form: https://en.wikipedia...lly_(1986–2001)

And not only is he successful he also seems to be a genuine quality guy. Like just look at how they at Haas do well by all their personal, something which certainly isn't a given in F1.

#105 messy

messy

• 7,496 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:54

Naah, more like PF1 that loves to make mountains out of nothing. That site lives on repeating what others said/wrote and loves to twisting those words. The conversation talked about might as well be GS wanting to tell KMag "Well done and don't be to hard on Grosjean".

As for the two drivers my take is that Grosjean had been harder on his tires than KMag, so at the restart he had less grip left and maybe he also hadn't let them get a bit cold or he was simply napping. Clearly KMag wasn't napping and had Grosjean not made things a little difficult he might have grabbed spot #6 as well.

Combine Grosjean's God-gift with Magnussen's grit and you've got a great driver IMO. 

#106 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 18:11

I came across the analysis that Jolyon Palmer did for F1 of the Barcelona race, he looks at what went on at the start and also at the restart so he cover the 2xHaas thing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AzyQ4TnAOb4

#107 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:55

Gunther was clearly setting up Magnussen for a bollcking after that race. Listen to the words that he used, Stern and non-compromising with Kmag, and conciliatory and supportive towards Grosjean. He says to Kmag, 'come and see me straight away after the race.' no discussion, just an order. He says to Grosjean, I will …. I will .. sort this out. We speak afterwards. 

And how can the race score be 4-1 when Grosjean has had two mechanical DNF's ?

#108 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 15:54

Gunther was clearly setting up Magnussen for a bollcking after that race. Listen to the words that he used, Stern and non-compromising with Kmag, and conciliatory and supportive towards Grosjean. He says to Kmag, 'come and see me straight away after the race.' no discussion, just an order. He says to Grosjean, I will …. I will .. sort this out. We speak afterwards. 

His general tone with Grosjean over the years has been quite soft and supportive.  The biggest example was Spain last year, when Grosjean drove across traffic after spinning and caused a big crash... Gunther told the press that Grosjean did nothing wrong and even tried to justify it!  Maybe he thinks Grosjean is fragile and requires that kind of careful handling?  He certainly doesn't seem to think that of Magnussen.  So I think the comments we hear could be less about true blame and more about "handling" of the drivers.  

(Is that how Boullier treated him when they helped turn cure him a bit of "first lap nutcase" syndrome?  Does Grosjean need a tough love approach instead?)

#109 diavolo

diavolo

• 179 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:16

Steiner actually said "please" to Magnussen after his words and he always sound stern. Would not put anything to it, but agree that he was a bit more mellow towards Grosjean, but he was pretty upset. Don't think Magnussen was getting a bollocking. Gunther said himself that Magnussens first overtake and the contact was OK

It was after the second contact when Grosjean tried to overtake and ran off that, he had to intervene and stop it....

That said, he surely would have preferred if Magnussen had stayed behind, but there were no orders before the race and Grosjean was not ready after the restart...

Edited by diavolo, 24 May 2019 - 05:16.

#110 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 17:11

Because that how it is done.

There is no way of knowing if the driver had a part in a DNF or not, so what counts is only the results.

#111 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 200 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 19:30

Kmag, that was an amazing lap in Monaco today.
He needs a top 3 car 🏎💨

#112 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 19:37

Grosjean's God-gift 

He cooks well............so what ?

I don't like either of them

#113 diavolo

diavolo

• 179 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 19:40

He cooks well............so what ?

I don't like either of them

Nice to know...Invaluable information added to the discussion of the 2 drivers

#114 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 20:33

Nice to know...Invaluable information added to the discussion of the 2 drivers

Don't feed the troll, then he stays.

#115 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,788 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 22:53

Kmag, that was an amazing lap in Monaco today.
He needs a top 3 car

It's arguable that he already has one. Ferrari sinking like the titanic. He needs a Top 2 (Merc, RB) car  :drunk: .

#116 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:57

Because that how it is done.

There is no way of knowing if the driver had a part in a DNF or not, so what counts is only the results.

No, that is not how it is done.

Quite often it is possible to be certain that the driver had no influence whatsoever on the mechanical issue, but to still mark them down for it when that happens is stupid. If the pit crew fail to properly reattach a wheel, that is not the driver's fault. By your standards, Zonta was as good as Villeneuve in '99

#117 KongKurs

KongKurs

• 296 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 15:11

Solid weekend by Magnussen, shame they absolutely destroyed his race by pitting for no reason..

#118 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 15:28

all the exceptional work by Kevin in qualifying was wasted 

#119 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 18:30

No, that is not how it is done.

Quite often it is possible to be certain that the driver had no influence whatsoever on the mechanical issue, but to still mark them down for it when that happens is stupid. If the pit crew fail to properly reattach a wheel, that is not the driver's fault. By your standards, Zonta was as good as Villeneuve in '99

Strange then that the FIA doesn't do like you suggest. But tell us then - was today a point for KMag or for Grosjean?

Advertisement

#120 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 18:36

Solid weekend by Magnussen, shame they absolutely destroyed his race by pitting for no reason..

Yes, it made sense for those at the front that could get a free pit stop and it so did not make sense for RIC and MAG. Such a shame.

On a side note. Bloody unsporting by Mercedes to have Bottas hold everyone back, so Hamilton could pit without it delaying Bottas in the pit. There should be a rule against that, but at least Karma did get them for that.

#121 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,691 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:19

A shout out for KMag this weekend.  Qualifying lap was excellent, He was inch perfect and totally fair in his fight with Dany Ric, and he was furious but very decent about not blaming the team about the strategy after the race.

Great job, pity there was no reward for it at the end of the weekend....

#122 GoGro

GoGro

• 136 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:05

Does anyone have a video of Grosjean penalty ? I would like to know if it's a blatant mistake or steward's being tough on him

Anyway, the race day has been the opposite on the saturday. KMag was faster all week-end but not rewarded, Grosjean was opportunistic and managed his tyres very well.

Edited by GoGro, 28 May 2019 - 09:06.

#123 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:53

https://www.reddit.c..._and_getting_a/

#124 GoGro

GoGro

• 136 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:00

Thanks.

Really harsh. Stewards are a joke

#125 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 20:23

Thanks.

Break a rule, pay the price.

Rule is clear do not cross the line, he did so a penalty.

:cool:

#126 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 20:32

Thanks.

Wasn't that a DT before?

#127 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:40

Break a rule, pay the price.

Rule is clear do not cross the line, he did so a penalty.

Same penalty as Verstappen got for unsafe release... so, yeah, the penalty was harsh... or the penalty on Verstappen was light... or both. 

#128 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:48

Same penalty as Verstappen got for unsafe release... so, yeah, the penalty was harsh... or the penalty on Verstappen was light... or both. 

I am not as such arguing the penalties, and what drivers get for their or their teams transgressions, I am saying that applying penalties are made something very complicated when they do not have to be.

Cross the yellow = Drive through penalty. *

Unsafe release = Drive through penalty. *

Causing a collision = Drive through penalty. *

Overtake under yellow = Drive through penalty. *

Gain an advantage cutting a chicane Drive through penalty. *

There is nothing to contemplate other than should a penalty be applied, if yes then Drive through penalty.

* I a not saying the penalty should be the same for everything, I am giving an example of a straight forward penalty being applied in less than 5 minutes, and not allowing for interpretations, the drivers and teams can not be a little pregnant, either they are or they are not.

#129 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,278 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 22:03

has anybody seen replays of KMag vs Perez? I think unless the other car manages to be at least inches in front before the chicane the stewards just allow you to drive straight and defend a position....

#130 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 22:34

has anybody seen replays of KMag vs Perez? I think unless the other car manages to be at least inches in front before the chicane the stewards just allow you to drive straight and defend a position....

Different drivers different rules, for all intents and purposes mirror image of Verstappen and Hamilton.

#131 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,278 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 00:11

Different drivers different rules, for all intents and purposes mirror image of Verstappen and Hamilton.

was it a mirror incident? I felt Perez was fully alongside and had complete control of the inside line. Since the track doesn't allow 2 cars side by side through there it seemed to be stewards thought it's legit for the car on the outside to just go straight and keep the position. That's why I am asking if there was a replay or smth...

I fail to see the similarity with Ham and Max. 

#132 motohead

motohead

• 303 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 21:25

Can anyone tell me what happened to Grosjean today? Any particular reason he was so far behind?

#133 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 22:24

Can anyone tell me what happened to Grosjean today? Any particular reason he was so far behind?

I have not seen any official explanation, but he had a brush with a wall that meant lost track time and perhaps it carried over from there.

Come Saturday both drivers got the new Ferrari PU and supposedly KMag also got a new rear suspension, the later should be an advantage only no idea if it actually is. I also don't know if KMag will be racing with the new suspension Sunday as I suppose it may depend on what needs replacing - if he starts on the grid I think he will be as I understand they can only replace broken parts with the exact same spare.

#134 Montie

Montie

• 1,842 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:13

Magnussen is starting from pit lane.

#135 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:20

One of the highlights of the race was Steiner's "enough is enough". That Guy really has a handful with his whiny drivers.

#136 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:28

One of the highlights of the race was Steiner's "enough is enough". That Guy really has a handful with his whiny drivers.

And his teams sponsor too  :p

#137 motohead

motohead

• 303 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:57

It wouldn't have mattered if Kmag started 10th or from the pit. The car had nothing yesterday. I understand his disappointment. Gunther Steiner publicly telling his drivers off is not great leadership, even if Magnussen's complaints were a bit much. He could have said what he needed to say in a completely different way and should really know better as the leader of the team...

#138 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:35

Haas should grab up Hülkenberg if he is available or give Ocon a chance (even if he's a Mercedes man). I can't for my life understand why they are wasting a good car and team with two nutjob drivers.

Edited by Jovanotti, 10 June 2019 - 07:37.

#139 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:36

Kmag must be the most social inept driver of the grid.

Which of his mechanics is going to pull of an all nighter again when Kmag destroys the car in Q again?

Advertisement

#140 motohead

motohead

• 303 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:35

Kmag must be the most social inept driver of the grid.

Which of his mechanics is going to pull of an all nighter again when Kmag destroys the car in Q again?

He is a winner and in the heat of the moment he expresses it in a wrong way,but apologises both in the race on the final laps and afterwards... So chill.

When has he destroyed his car in quali before?

Basically his first mistake this year...

#141 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:46

He is a winner and in the heat of the moment he expresses it in a wrong way,but apologises both in the race on the final laps and afterwards... So chill.

Exactly. I can't recall him doing anything that kind of damage to a Haas car ever and actually not to a Renault or a McLaren for that matter.

#142 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:50

Exactly. I can't recall him doing anything that kind of damage to a Haas car ever and actually not to a Renault or a McLaren for that matter.

I can recall big qualifying crash in Hungary 2014 and crash at Eau Rouge in 2016.

#143 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:03

It wouldn't have mattered if Kmag started 10th or from the pit. The car had nothing yesterday. I understand his disappointment. Gunther Steiner publicly telling his drivers off is not great leadership, even if Magnussen's complaints were a bit much. He could have said what he needed to say in a completely different way and should really know better as the leader of the team...

I didn't like the way Steiner talked about Grosjean at that dinner on the Netflix documentary, but I did like the way this was dealt with yesterday. MAG was frustrated but the last thing the team need is a driver carrying on like that over team radio.

If he later apologised, fair dues to him.

#144 Latos

Latos

• 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:12

I didn't like the way Steiner talked about Grosjean at that dinner on the Netflix documentary, but I did like the way this was dealt with yesterday. MAG was frustrated but the last thing the team need is a driver carrying on like that over team radio.

If he later apologised, fair dues to him.

Yes he did, to the team and later to the guys in the garage, take a look:

https://streamable.com/zpxxv

Edited by Latos, 10 June 2019 - 09:13.

#145 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:32

I can’t imagine they will retain both drivers again next season. I expect at least one of them to be dropped in favour of a Hulkenberg or Ocon. Only thing is, Magnussen and Hulkenberg don’t get along at all, so.

#146 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,712 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:09

He is a winner whiner and in the heat of the moment he expresses it in a wrong way,but apologises both in the race on the final laps and afterwards... So chill.

Seems more fitting now.

#147 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:20

I haven't seen him win. I've seen him be a dick about a hundred times though.

#148 Latos

Latos

• 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:51

I've seen him win and that's why he's in F1, in his 5th season.  :wave:

#149 motohead

motohead

• 303 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:53

Significantly less of a dick than many other drivers, e.g. Verstappen just driving a slower car.

Also, whilst I and he saw that yesterday's message wasn't helpful (which is why he apologised) why would he want to change generally. He drives to the limit and is a real racer. No reason to change that at all. If the grid was made up of a group of nice guys I certainly wouldn't be a fan...

The real unrepented whining I see is here from people who want to oversanitise the sport.

#150 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:59

I've seen him win and that's why he's in F1, in his 5th season. :wave:

In that case you can call every driver in F1 a winner and excuse them any time they act like an idiot.

Using "he is a winner" as an excuse for his crap doesn't cut it is what I'm saying.