Photo

How do I permanently delete my account?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 17:01

Lost interest in F1. How do I permanently delete my account?

Edited by doc83, 28 March 2021 - 17:02.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 17:06

You can't. Just stop logging in.

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 17:12

Lost interest in F1. How do I permanently delete my account?

After a race like that?  Christ alive.

#4 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 18:06

After a race like that?  Christ alive.

Losing interest in something like F1 is a process that rarely takes one race. :p

#5 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 19:03

Losing interest in something like F1 is a process that rarely takes one race. :p

Exactly. It has been a long process. I’m done. 

That doesn’t sound right in 2021. It should be easy to withdraw consent to process personal data. After that you should delete all my personal data from your database, including my profile. I know UK is out of the EU but I bet that law still applies.  And I do withdraw. 

#6 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 19:32

https://ico.org.uk/f...-valid-consent/

#7 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 19:36

Most people just stop posting on a forum if they've lost interest. No need to make a hue and cry about it.  :lol:

#8 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,728 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 20:10

There are too many forums out there with my details. No way to remove them. I haven't owned a fish tank in years but if I search using the user name I'm still there.

Facebook allows you to remove your digital foot print. You have 30 days grace and you're completely gone.

Edited by jimjimjeroo, 28 March 2021 - 20:10.

#9 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 20:56

There are too many forums out there with my details. No way to remove them. I haven't owned a fish tank in years but if I search using the user name I'm still there.

Facebook allows you to remove your digital foot print. You have 30 days grace and you're completely gone.

Maybe, but this forum was always particularly keen to support human rights objectives. And somehow they obviously violate my basic right to "be forgotten". How so? 

Most people just stop posting on a forum if they've lost interest. No need to make a hue and cry about it.  :lol:

Was looking for "delete account" button for about 15 min, so I got frustrated. 

#10 reason42

reason42

• 295 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:53

You should read 4.9 of this site's privacy policy, as well as section 6 and 7.4.  https://accounts.mot...ivacy-policy/en

By law (EU and UK) you (the data subject) have the right to 'be forgotten'. In other words, you can request any data held about you be removed.  It is possible that any posts you make may not be deleted but the account associated with those posts removed.  This depends on the terms and conditions set down relating to the 'copyright holder' for any content contributed by you and how it may be used on the site.

You must prove your identity before your request can be processed, to ensure it is actually you requesting the removal of the data subject.  This site will require two pieces of identity for verification.  The data controller/officers will have up to 1 month for initial response, as set out by the terms of the policy.  

(disclosure: this is my field - twitter @reason42).

#11 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,745 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:01

Is Doc83 your real name?

A quick click on your ‘posts’ tab explains this flounce. I would imagine your interest may be back once Verstappen wins again... be patient man. And at the very least you said ‘see you in 2022 F1’... so just wait til next year and don’t log in until then.

‘IM LEAVING EVERYONE!!!’ :lol:

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 16:55

know there are users/former users on here that at least have had their account disabled, maybe even deleted.

#13 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,745 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 17:21

Try spamming pictures of other messageboard owners in compromising positions. I’m sure that used to work as a way of having your account deleted :lol:

#14 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,174 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:38

Maybe, but this forum was always particularly keen to support human rights objectives. And somehow they obviously violate my basic right to "be forgotten". How so? 

My reaction is definitely of the “mustard after lunch” (Ukrainian idiom) variety, but this is a very strange interpretation of what constitutes a “right”.

Of course, it’s not as patently idiotic as the insistence on the “right” not to wear a mask in the midst of a pandemic, but ... :stoned:

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 22:05

I know there are users/former users on here that at least have had their account disabled, maybe even deleted.

Disabling is different -- we do that, essentially, whenever someone is banned.

#16 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:44

This BB was developed before those laws came into action, so that explains the lack of this functionality

Here is a discussion to this topic back in 2015 on invision board.  The link to the solution that someone cooked up, is not working anymore...

https://invisioncomm...their-accounts/

So the admin who posted there says he went manually to delete accounts.. Ouch, getting that right.

Edited by HP, 31 May 2021 - 09:44.

#17 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 15:31

This seems like it was a bit of a tantrum, but "right to be forgotten" is a valid concern. I've been on this forum for far too many years now, what if one day I decide "actually I don't want an easily accessible public database of all the stupid stuff I wrote when I was much younger and dumber".

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 17:22

You can remove any personal information in your profile yourself.

I don't think "right to be forgotten" extends to statements made in a medium of public record.

#19 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,881 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 19:06

Yeah, a letter to the editor of the local paper doesn't disappear either, no matter how much you'd like the library in your hometown to burn their copy.

Advertisement

#20 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:08

This seems like it was a bit of a tantrum, but "right to be forgotten" is a valid concern. I've been on this forum for far too many years now, what if one day I decide "actually I don't want an easily accessible public database of all the stupid stuff I wrote when I was much younger and dumber".

That's your life. In analog world you (we all) can't either erase all the sh*t you (we all) pulled in younger years, so why should it work digitally?

I mean, I have an idea why. Our real world past we just remember and humanity has a real knack for adjusting memory to something comfortable, whereas digitally we have to face the naked truth of our stupidities for eternity. :p

#21 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:23

You can remove any personal information in your profile yourself.

I don't think "right to be forgotten" extends to statements made in a medium of public record.

You know that you can ask Google to delete yourself from their searches right? That's a medium of public record.

#22 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,493 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:45

If you were to be banned are all your posts purged?

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:46

I have zero issues in my stupidity (and wit) being preserved for eternity - If one were, then you can go through your posts and just deleted them, my current count is 24.900 so a couple of evenings to get the job done.

However the IT / Tech side surely could delete all a users posts if they really wanted to, we are all uniquely identifiably bits, bytes and entries into tables and indexes in the data base, a nifty little script to accomplish that can be whipped up if push came to shove.

DELETE unique_posts
FROM forum
WHERE user_Id = 'KWSN - DSM';

#24 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:47

You know that you can ask Google to delete yourself from their searches right? That's a medium of public record.

So what? Google might remove you from their search algorithms. They can’t erase everything you put out on the internet. You seem to be mixing up personal data with stuff that’s published. As I said, you can remove the personal data from your account.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:50

So what? Google might remove you from their search algorithms. They can’t erase everything you put out on the internet. You seem to be mixing up personal data with stuff that’s published. As I said, you can remove the personal data from your account.

But erasing you from searches isn't erasing personal data. It's erasing access to stuff that's published.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:53

But erasing you from searches isn't erasing personal data. It's erasing access to stuff that's published.

Google can’t erase stuff on other websites. So I’m not sure why you’re bringing them up at all.

#27 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 21:57

Nothing is forgotten....

https://archive.org/web/

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:06

Google can’t erase stuff on other websites. So I’m not sure why you’re bringing them up at all.

You said "right to be forgotten" didn't extend to "mediums of public record", I brought up an example of how it applies somewhat to a medium of public record. Sure the stuff that's on those other websites is still there, but it's much harder to access them if the major search engines don't come up with it, unless you actively know what you're looking for and are willing to manually search the web extensively for it.

Look, we could be here all day, I'm not entirely sure of the legality of it and I doubt Autosport are legally obliged to delete a user's posts upon his request. But it's something that I can see being a legitimate concern from a user's point of view, and something that forum admins could do simply as a nice gesture upon request, as I've seen it being done by other admins of other forums elsewhere. After all users can delete their own posts (or at least right now the forum software is allowing them to) - it's just annoying to do it manually, so why not be nice to a user and run a quick delete * from where user = x query, instead of arguing against them as if they're assholes and their posts are your property. Maybe they are legally Autosport's property but it's a shitty way to act.

#29 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:09

Nothing is forgotten....

https://archive.org/web/

True, but whenever I want I can delete my Facebook account and my Facebook posts, and can be reasonably confident people haven't screenshotted it front to back or archived it in some other website. And even if someone has done it, it's not gonna be easy for any random to quickly access it like they would if they just browse my Facebook page.

It's true to some extent that "the internet never forgets" but online privacy is still a battle worth fighting, as complicated and vague as it is.

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:12

In our experience users attempting to delete all their posts is an act of vandalism, usually as a result of throwing a major strop.

Anyway, posts aren’t personal data.

#31 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:14

True, but whenever I want I can delete my Facebook account and my Facebook posts, and can be reasonably confident people haven't screenshotted it front to back or archived it in some other website. And even if someone has done it, it's not gonna be easy for any random to quickly access it like they would if they just browse my Facebook page.

It's true to some extent that "the internet never forgets" but online privacy is still a battle worth fighting, as complicated and vague as it is.

I am with you, not sure of the legality or not as it is right now, however can easily envision a future where anything 'not in public domain' can be requested to be removed - And with my non-existing background, I would argue Atlas F1 Forums is not public domain, and if requested the owner would be obliged to delete my full account and all my posts.

Except my life is an open book, except this forum is close to the only 'social media' I have - I did have a facebook account way back, however had it deleted.

#32 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:15

In our experience users attempting to delete all their posts is an act of vandalism, usually as a result of throwing a major strop.

Anyway, posts aren’t personal data.

Vandalism?

Or are we shying away from the object of the thread and towards paths we should not trod?

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:16

Vandalism?

Or are we shying away from the object of the thread and towards paths we should not trod?

Looking at the OP, I’m going right to the heart of the thread.

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:23

Looking at the OP, I’m going right to the heart of the thread.

:)

I was more concerned that I was trudging in the wrong direction.

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:24

See, this is how a user could be well treated:

- I lost interest, please delete my account.

- Are you really sure you want your posts deleted? You seem to be acting in an emotional way, and may come to later regret this. Please take a few days to calm down and then if you still feel like you don't want your posting history available online contact us again.

This is not how a user is well treated:

- I lost interest, please delete my account.

- You can't. Stop making a tantrum.

- (some link about personal rights online)

- We don't want acts of vandalism destroying our forum. Posts aren't personal data. They're public and our property. Stop whining.

Edited by noikeee, 31 May 2021 - 22:25.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:29

The user asked how they could delete their account. They can’t.

They didn’t ask for their posting history to be deleted either. That’s something you’ve been banging on about.

#37 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 00:16

You said "right to be forgotten" didn't extend to "mediums of public record", I brought up an example of how it applies somewhat to a medium of public record. Sure the stuff that's on those other websites is still there, but it's much harder to access them if the major search engines don't come up with it, unless you actively know what you're looking for and are willing to manually search the web extensively for it.

Look, we could be here all day, I'm not entirely sure of the legality of it and I doubt Autosport are legally obliged to delete a user's posts upon his request. But it's something that I can see being a legitimate concern from a user's point of view, and something that forum admins could do simply as a nice gesture upon request, as I've seen it being done by other admins of other forums elsewhere. After all users can delete their own posts (or at least right now the forum software is allowing them to) - it's just annoying to do it manually, so why not be nice to a user and run a quick delete * from where user = x query, instead of arguing against them as if they're assholes and their posts are your property. Maybe they are legally Autosport's property but it's a shitty way to act.

Imagine PayasYouRace went through this thread and deleted all of their own posts. You've quoted several of them, should the bits inside the quote go, too? Read the thread skipping all PayasYouRace's posts and see how much sense the thread makes. Don't you think it would turn a coherent discussion into gibberish? I think deliberately doing that to the forum qualifies as "a shitty way to act".

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:26

I have no idea if that's even possible here, but I have often seen elsewhere a account getting permanently deleted and the username then changed to something that reflects the deletion (Deleted_User

or RemovedAccount etc.), so in that way you achieve the same thing without turning old discussions completely incoherent.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:39

I have no idea if that's even possible here, but I have often seen elsewhere a account getting permanently deleted and the username then changed to something that reflects the deletion (Deleted_User

or RemovedAccount etc.), so in that way you achieve the same thing without turning old discussions completely incoherent.

Yeah you could obfuscate the username and get rid of their personal profile data. That would be possible but it would still mess up the forum as a record, if that makes sense. It would also be quite a lot of extra work for forum admins who are volunteers (grumble grumble).

I could see a stronger moral case for doing something if someone was using their real name or had something personally identifiable as their username. 

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:08

Imagine PayasYouRace went through this thread and deleted all of their own posts. You've quoted several of them, should the bits inside the quote go, too? Read the thread skipping all PayasYouRace's posts and see how much sense the thread makes. Don't you think it would turn a coherent discussion into gibberish? I think deliberately doing that to the forum qualifies as "a shitty way to act".

And what's the point of keeping coherent and readable and easily searchable, old discussions from years gone by? Mind you all the posts from everyone else would remain intact. If things are quoted, well I guess those bits would stay, there's only so much you can do to delete people's history. It's better than nothing.

Changing a user's name to "deleted_user" can be done. Running a script to change the content of all posts by a user to "(removed on user's request)" can very easily be done. Etc.

I guess I identify with this problem because I used to post in other forums when I was a teenager (this was almost 20 years ago) and wrote a lot of rubbish. I don't like the fact that things I wrote whilst I was a minor (and was still developing all sorts of coherent thought, posting ideas and points of view I might not retain as an adult), still remain searchable on the internet, and have thought several times about asking the admins to go delete it.

I understand it's quite a bit of work for admins to do this kind of thing, and it's okay for admins to politely refuse on that basis. What I find shitty is that this kind of requests are met with an attitude like you and PayAs are demonstrating (and it's a pattern you 2 show all over the forum, by the way).

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:25

And what's the point of keeping coherent and readable and easily searchable, old discussions from years gone by? 

I can't believe you're even asking that. What's the point of the forum if it didn't keep a record of the discussion? This isn't a chatroom. We commonly go back to find old discussions, look at old posts that are pertinent to the topic at hand. A great example is in the recent thread about changes to Monaco, were a couple of us have referred to older suggestions we've made. It's laid out in our rules that you must search for a topic before starting a new one, just in case the information is already present on the forum.

What's shitty is that you're expecting that any user can screw up the forum in any number of ways to protect their own embarrassment about posts that have been made anonymously. We allow users to change their username once, by request. So if after the user removes the personal information on their profile themselves (as I've repeatedly pointed out they can), then by request we can change their username to not be identifiable. I believe that is an entirely reasonable course of action.

This thread started with a user wanting to go away in a strop, asking for something we simply can't do. I didn't want to be "shitty" and suggest we could ban them, so I simply said if they no longer want to post they are free not to.

Slarti and Risil have very neatly laid out why we don't allow users to vandalise the history of the forum to save themselves a few blushes. As Risil points out, it would be a slightly stronger case of a user using their real name and would like that removed, because that could cause real world repercussions.

Lastly, noikeee, you spent some time as a moderator, so you know what we have to work with. So you should know how unreasonable and over the top your request is.

#42 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,090 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:30

I can't believe you're even asking that. What's the point of the forum if it didn't keep a record of the discussion? This isn't a chatroom. We commonly go back to find old discussions, look at old posts that are pertinent to the topic at hand. A great example is in the recent thread about changes to Monaco, were a couple of us have referred to older suggestions we've made. It's laid out in our rules that you must search for a topic before starting a new one, just in case the information is already present on the forum.

What's shitty is that you're expecting that any user can screw up the forum in any number of ways to protect their own embarrassment about posts that have been made anonymously. We allow users to change their username once, by request. So if after the user removes the personal information on their profile themselves (as I've repeatedly pointed out they can), then by request we can change their username to not be identifiable. I believe that is an entirely reasonable course of action.

This thread started with a user wanting to go away in a strop, asking for something we simply can't do. I didn't want to be "shitty" and suggest we could ban them, so I simply said if they no longer want to post they are free not to.

Slarti and Risil have very neatly laid out why we don't allow users to vandalise the history of the forum to save themselves a few blushes. As Risil points out, it would be a slightly stronger case of a user using their real name and would like that removed, because that could cause real world repercussions.

Lastly, noikeee, you spent some time as a moderator, so you know what we have to work with. So you should know how unreasonable and over the top your request is.

Thanks,

I changed my mind everything posted should remain as posted, stupidity and wisdom.

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:43

Maybe if you see a forum like a published book or a relic of history to be treasured like newspaper articles. I don't, I see it as semi-public casual chat, just as I see all kinds of social media which I can get rid of at any time I want. I might have to seriously re-evaluate my presence in this forum if everything I write is going to be kept permanent and kept in history forever. Keep in mind just because we write behind usernames it's not that hard to accidentally or intentionally connect usernames to real life names.

It's not unreasonable and over the top to ask an admin to run a SQL script that takes 5 seconds to execute.

#44 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:28

While some want to have their data permanently removed, there are some that would not want their contribution to any forum be distorted, because of missing posts from someone else, etc.. Both IMO are equal rights and are impossible to reconcile. Every user should understand what they sign up, and understand the limit of a certain forum software.

On the comment of running a little SQL script.  It's too easy to run an SQL script. There was a story from a full time admin (I think it was on The Register) where he admitted to his biggest blunder in his career. Just a little typo (forgetting backticks for the field name, despite it a very short script and him checking the semantics several times) that deleted all(!) user content. Yikes! The main culprit of that incident is IMO how most SQL databases allows anyone to come up with such an subtle error. Any SQL Script that changes data operations should run by default in a preview mode, that can be approved once the result is verified. Usually never happens though for understandable reasons. But at least it's good when admins know how easy it is to make a real, real big blunder.

Nothing personal, I have upgraded, fixed and removed things from forum software and there is only one thing that scares me. Someone saying: "oh just run this SQL script".

Always consider the consequences is my motto in that regard. (Including signing up for a service)

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:33

HP, feels like as good as an excuse as any to post this old XKCD comic:

exploits_of_a_mom.png

#46 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,174 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:08

[1] Maybe if you see a forum like a published book or a relic of history to be treasured like newspaper articles.

[2] I might have to seriously re-evaluate my presence in this forum if everything I write is going to be kept permanent and kept in history forever.

Re 1 - There are conversations engaged here that I do see that way.

Re 2 - What would this process of re-evaluation look like? What would be the first step, and the next two?

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:14

I suppose one thing I would say about the longevity of this forum is that digital archiving, especially for our niche of motor racing, is full of holes and as more websites fall by the wayside (remember SpeedTV?) internet forums may yet be a surprisingly valuable source of information about events from 10-20 years ago, at any rate for people who don't have the time or ability to do serious offline digging. And TNF has been a genuine and cited source of information since the beginning.

And Noikeee, we've been posting at each other for many, many years and I've never seen anything dumb or embarrassing emanate from your modem.

#48 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 13:10

I lament the loss of the chatroom, especially the archive.  The last 30 seconds of Brazil 2008 was about 100 people all typing "Glock".  You could trace who had the slowest streams from that...

#49 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 4,206 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 20:22

haha, talk about about paranoia, I could understand some concern if this forum had your full name, Goverment ID, photo and was easily googleble all over the internet, but Flyhigh? Payasyourrace, Starlifastberinglabirting... who cares?  If you want to get that Paranoid, there are basically 4,5 major internet companies that we all use constantly on the internet for everything!  They and their employees know far more about you then any Racing Forum ever could. If someone, from these companies, really wanted to do a deep dive on you or if someone pays enough, they would know more about you than your mother those, and yes, that includes your fetiches too. 

The last thing I worry about is this Flyhigh character on a racing forum, trust me  :lol:  Oh dear lord, please don´t expose my 16-20 year old hot chat sex interaction on the early internet, or when twitter was just beginning and I thought what the hell is this useful for? And the only thing that it was used at the time and would be "trending" was pretty girls opening their cams and guys chatting with them asking them playful stuff or if they could show themselves and then you fins that these twits are public.. and had to delete them years later when twitter become serious social media stuff. 

This thread started just after attention is in it... Relax dude.. as Arnold would say, He´ll be back.. 

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:25

Probably best to not even joke about underage sexual content, Flyhigh.