Photo

Seppi at Edmonton

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 16:19

I'm hoping somewhere here can help - I've exhausted all the other 'leads' I thought I had for this information.  I'm trying to find out who took/has current copyright on this terrific picture of Jo Siffert at Edmonton for the Can-Am round there in '71. Please . . .

09-26-At-Edmonton-Can-Am.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 18:18

On the right is Edi Wyss his Swiss mechanic. In his biography "The Swiss Wiz" there is a chapter "Can-Am 1971 with Jo Siffert".

20 pages/34 pictures but not your one. I have a friend who is close to Edi Wyss and I try to get his coordinates.

Wyss should be able to help. I get back to you asap. Andreas 

#3 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 18:37

Thanks Andreas - I much appreciate your helpful intention. However, I'd already been in touch with Edi and he didn't know. He did put me on to Jean-Marie Wyder, but he too was unsure. Regards. David

#4 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 19:50

Try asking Pete Lyons

Edited by JohnH, 22 April 2021 - 19:51.

#5 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 20:06

Thanks John, but Pete was one of the first I asked! Regards. D

#6 PCC

PCC

• 1,086 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 21:19

Lionel Birnbom (a TNF member) shot a lot of Can-Am. According to his website, he wasn't at Edmonton that year, but he may have some names of other photographers who were.

#7 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 16:34

Nice pic!

#8 68targa

68targa

• 1,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:16

There are several b&w photos of the 1971 Edmonton race showing Siffert's Porsche in the paddock on Pinterest with a copyright to a "R.V. Jackson Photography"  I am guess you have already seen that ?

#9 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:42

Thanks SixtyEight - I tried that lead previously, but drew a blank.  Some 'R V Jackson' watermarks bear quite recent dates and I don't think this relates to a photographer active back in '71. Regards. D

#10 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:27

Great picture...  wish i could help but I was only at the Road America race, but was lucky enough to get reasonable close ups of both Jo and the 917.   Little did I know what tragedy was so soon to happen...

#11 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:08

Thanks SKL - glad you like the pic. I've been wanting to include it with an article I've written on Jo's 1971 season. I especially like the particular shot as it seems to show Jo at his most charismatic and cheerfully confident - 'one of the boys' - and the 917/10 looks so good too. Without establishing the provenance, I'm loathe to use the image, but I have another from Michael Keyser at the same meeting which I can substitute.  I regarded Jo as the archetypal 'cavalier' racing driver, and the Brands meeting that October was the only one I have ever wished I'd not attended. Regards. D

#12 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 00:18

I'd like to read that article when it's done.  Got interested in racing in the mid 60's and he was my first "favourite."    Visited his gravesite in Fribourg when my wife and I were in Switzerland in the spring of '82.  I love the various photos of Jo and Pedro from that era... 

#13 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 15:55

Not sure if this is any help, but Bob Jackson was a well known motorsports photographer back in the day.  His photos were used in Willem Oosthoek's books, so maybe he or Jerry Entin could add more.  One internet search came up with an article from November 2011 says Bob Jackson was retired and living in Colorado.

Mr. Jackson was a pulitzer prize winner for his photo of Jack Ruby assassinating Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas is November 1963.

Edited by teegeefla, 28 April 2021 - 15:56.

#14 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 16:03

David-

I have a mailing address for Bob Jackson; send me a PM and I will share it with you.  Sorry I do not have an e-mail for him.

Tom

#15 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:30

Thanks Tom. Interesting about the Oswald photograph - such a haunting image and truly memorable because of the impact the JFK murder had on us at the time.

#16 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 18:04

Thanks Tom for the tip about John Denniston. I found a fantastic set of John's Can-Am photographs. Maybe John was 917-allergic, as there's only one shot of Jo, but there's some excellent ones of George Eaton in the BRM, JYS with the wonderfully stubby Lola and Jackie Oliver in the second iteration Shadow.

1971-Jo-Siffert-right-in-the-pits-during

I really appreciate you following up with this suggestion Tom.

With kind regards.

David

#17 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 19:29

I just sent you some other suggestions in a PM

#18 68targa

68targa

• 1,144 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 19:38

I have a copy of Road Racing Drivers of the 60's and 70's with some excellent photos by Linda Weldon who seems to have followed Can-Am races. They are mainly portraits of drivers although your elusive photo is not among them.  Just a thought that she may be able to assist you, there is a contact form at the book's website.

http://www.roadracingbook.com/

#19 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 20:17

Thanks Tom for the tip about John Denniston. I found a fantastic set of John's Can-Am photographs. Maybe John was 917-allergic, as there's only one shot of Jo, but there's some excellent ones of George Eaton in the BRM, JYS with the wonderfully stubby Lola and Jackie Oliver in the second iteration Shadow...

What a fabulous link.  WOW!

Mr Denniston seems to suggest there may be more pictures forthcoming: All of the galleries on this site stopped working after a WordPress upgrade in August.  As of December 20th most have been fixed but there are some that will have to redone completely and that will take a few more months at least.

Hope that is the case.

Advertisement

#20 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 456 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 20:44

Mr Denniston seems to suggest there may be more pictures forthcoming: All of the galleries on this site stopped working after a WordPress upgrade in August.  As of December 20th most have been fixed but there are some that will have to redone completely and that will take a few more months at least.

Hope that is the case.

Great link to the John Denniston photos!   This comment on the webpage does make one a bit sad, however:

"Most of the negatives from those races remain lost in the Edmonton Journal’s files but a few I had the foresight to take with me when I left for Vancouver and they are in the gallery below."

Makes you wonder what the missing ones contained  :well:  - Presumably Mr Denniston kept what he felt were the best ones.

#21 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:23

I have a copy of Road Racing Drivers of the 60's and 70's with some excellent photos by Linda Weldon who seems to have followed Can-Am races. They are mainly portraits of drivers although your elusive photo is not among them.  Just a thought that she may be able to assist you, there is a contact form at the book's website.

http://www.roadracingbook.com/

Thanks - I'll follow this up today. I really appreciate your - and other posters' - efforts to help with my quest.

#22 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 132 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:29

Hope that is the case.

Thanks to you and Emery for the enthusiastic comments. I'd certainly welcome the availability of further images from this source.

John has told me that he can't 'place' my Seppi image, commenting that he doesn't think it's the sort of shot a 'newspaper photographer' would have taken. I can understand that, there being things 'wrong' with it technically, but it does capture Jo's character so pleasingly.

Regards.

David