Photo

Motorcycle racing at Gaydon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:50

I'm interested in finding photos of North Gloucester motorcycle road races at Gaydon in the early 70's...in particular anything featuring my cousin Nigel Beard on his Triumph sidecar outfit...an orange kneeler.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 19:54

David,

Hi. I used to race at Gaydon back in the 1970's, and was trying to find some photos myself just a few weeks ago! You could try Phil Masters - he used to take photos there and at other Midlands circuits. He managed to turn some up for me recently from 75 and 76, and tells me he has kept everything! Phil's web site is 'philmasters.co.uk'. You could also try Graham Etheridge at 'racebikepics.com' - he has loads of material which starts from the 1970's, though I don't recall any from Gaydon, but he may be able to help you.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ray

#3 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:42

David,

Hi. I used to race at Gaydon back in the 1970's, and was trying to find some photos myself just a few weeks ago! You could try Phil Masters - he used to take photos there and at other Midlands circuits. He managed to turn some up for me recently from 75 and 76, and tells me he has kept everything! Phil's web site is 'philmasters.co.uk'. You could also try Graham Etheridge at 'racebikepics.com' - he has loads of material which starts from the 1970's, though I don't recall any from Gaydon, but he may be able to help you.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ray

Hi Ray, I can remember you racing your Aermacchi at Gaydon, Wrougton etc, against the hoards of Yamahas at the North glos meetings (and being right up there at the sharp end too). my dad was one of the Yamaha riders at the time, Len lambourne.

Nigel

#4 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 13:27

Nigel,

Hi, and thanks for your post. Apologies for the delay in replying. I am in the middle of a house move at the moment, so not getting that much free time! I can certainly remember your dad's name from the programmes and commentary, but can't remember the bike and colours - do you have any photos? I hope he is well.

Thanks for your very kind comments. Although the old Aermacchi would get left behind on the faster circuits with long straights like Snetterton, it could still give the Yamahas a run for their money on the twistier ones. It was a lot of fun riding it because people thought I was doing well to finish any higher than last! I will put some more details on the 'Aermacchis' thread when I get some time.

It looks like you had a very impressive racing career Nigel. What's it like getting back on again after all this time? I have to say there are times when I have been tempted!! I hope things are going well with your TZ.

Best wishes.

Ray

:wave:

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 14:12

Nigel,

Hi, and thanks for your post. Apologies for the delay in replying. I am in the middle of a house move at the moment, so not getting that much free time! I can certainly remember your dad's name from the programmes and commentary, but can't remember the bike and colours - do you have any photos? I hope he is well.
Best wishes.

Ray

Len Lambourne in 1975.
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#6 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:00

Nigel,

Thanks for your very kind comments. Although the old Aermacchi would get left behind on the faster circuits with long straights like Snetterton, it could still give the Yamahas a run for their money on the twistier ones. It was a lot of fun riding it because people thought I was doing well to finish any higher than last! I will put some more details on the 'Aermacchis' thread when I get some time.

It looks like you had a very impressive racing career Nigel. What's it like getting back on again after all this time? I have to say there are times when I have been tempted!! I hope things are going well with your TZ.

Best wishes.

Ray

Hi Ray, no not that impressive a career, what I did acheive was only at club level, and i always had pretty good machinery for this level.
As for my return to the track last week, turned into a bit of debarcle. After the test day was cancelled, I had to go straight into timed qualifying first time out on the bike, I had fitted the wets the day before as the forecast had me believe it would be, so was the only person in qualifying on wets on a dry track! with the race, last off the line, and the bike would only rev to 10,500, coughing and spluttering and was dog slow. Tried some things to cure it for the second race, only for the organisers to abandon the meeting!! :mad: (11 laps total)
Was great to be back on the track though. We are going to try somethings and run it on the dyno before i venture out again.

Thanks to Graham for a pic of the old man on his TR2B, will see if I can find some of the TZs

Nigel