Photo

Roebling Road - Savannah, GA

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:53

The thread concerning races in Savannah, Georgia sent me searching for the track where I did my first laps. Roebling Road is a SCCA owned "non-spectator" track just outside of Savannah. Spent a lot of weekends working this interesting track. The original construction was tied to the Roebling family who were involved in construction of the Brooklyn bridge, I believe. Will try to locate that history but here are period photographs of the facility located in the Bloomingdale, Georiga area. Perhaps someone can supply modern day Google Earth. Am sure it has been provided before.

Would be interested in comments on the large circle area, upper right of photographs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Believe I can dig out one or two more photographs and some history. Terry, can you add yours?

http://www.skio.usg....ling_family.php

Henry

Advertisement

#2 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:25

The site is right on the overlap between two different space images, but comes up pretty well.

Posted Image

#3 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 15:08

Look at the street names in the neighbouring community: Lemans Drive and... Road Atlanta! :D Is that Braselton???;)

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 16:31

Not Braselton but Faulkville, near Savannah.
all research Willem Oosthoek.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 20:30

If the straight was kinked to the left where that triangle is, and the top half of the circuit sort of dragged around to allow that kinking, straightening out that central wave, it would look just like Lakeside...

I was struck by this when I looked up their website the other day. One of the Australian drivers trying to break into IMSA racing (and quite successfully) had his first US race there.

#6 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:24

It's a nice track and has a really nice flow on a bike. You get some serious speed going on that straight too. Unfortunately for Road Atlanta with it's repeated butchering over the years, we now gear higher for the straight at Roebling than we do at RA. Come to think of it, we gear higher for Roebling than any of the other tracks in the area, including Jennings and the Talledega Grand Prix Raceway.

#7 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:30

Fun little track, just hard on tires. Savannah's a fun town to visit too.

#8 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:43

Originally posted by MPea3
It's a nice track and has a really nice flow on a bike. You get some serious speed going on that straight too. Unfortunately for Road Atlanta with it's repeated butchering over the years, we now gear higher for the straight at Roebling than we do at RA. Come to think of it, we gear higher for Roebling than any of the other tracks in the area, including Jennings and the Talledega Grand Prix Raceway.

http://www.buccaneer...eblingroad.html

1:18 is pretty quick for 2 mile circuit in late model sedan.

And this:

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=MvOVzjw8gio

Henry

#9 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:06

Originally posted by fines
Look at the street names in the neighbouring community: Lemans Drive and... Road Atlanta! :D Is that Braselton???;)

Michael, you are wicked! :lol:

#10 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:13

Here's the adjacent suburb with road names:

Posted Image

#11 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 14:34

As you can see when it was build it was really out in the middle on nowhere. Now the houses have been built around it and the complains have started. First time I want there was in 1983 with the Brumos guys from Jacksonville for some testing. It was a weekday and no one was there and the key to the gate was hidden under a rock. We let ourselves in.

#12 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 14:42

The first time I went to the track in the 1960's, we had trouble finding it. It was out there in the boondocks and close to nothing. I have not been there since the 1980s, when I was a "crew member" for a friend discovering that as much as racing was, "amateur" racing wasn't that cheap. We used fly over it all the time when I was at Stewart. Even then it seemed inevitable that the developers would finally engulf it some day.....

#13 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:07

Love the way someone has said that AtlasF1 may be an unreliable source...

https://en.wikipedia...ng_Road_Raceway