Photo

Vettel v Webber

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:01

I must say, I'm really looking forwards to this one in 2009. It would be great if the Red Bulls's were a little closer to the front next year, on sort of BMW or thereabouts pace.

Methinks Webber is going to show yet again, what a top drawer driver he is, this time against genuinely 'rated' competition, (not that Heidfeld and Rosberg weren't, let's not forget). Webber is also just the sort of guy to find out if Vettel can handle a fight of the minds.

I reckon the bright lights of Vettels promise will fade a little, I don't think he'll be refered to as 'the next Schumacher' come the end of next season.

We shall see. I suspect there are plenty that will be thinking that Webber is about to be found out. Bring it on.

Advertisement

#2 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:14

I think Webber will put Vettel in perspective. Vettel is quick, no doubt, but I don't see the greatness, like some making him into the next Schumacher (well, a Ralf, maybe but I don't see a Michael in him). However, Vettel is a much better prospect than Coulthard would have been.

Motormedia

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:14

I'm expecting Webber to win in qualifying due to his consistency, and Vettel to be just a little bit quicker in the races - however Vettel will make a lot more mistakes, leaving Webber with a comfortable points lead.

It will be fun to see the Red Bulls on wet races, both are very good at it (yes, I know Webber at Silverstone was a bit of a disaster, but he has the pace).

Of course, this is just speculation/futurology and I could be wrong.

#4 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:15

If I were Webber, I might be a little worried that Vettel is Red Bull's annointed star. Even when Bourdais was beating him in the old car, I had the impression that Vettel was regarded as the One (which may be unfair; just impressions from articles and boards). I think that after blowing several drivers' careers, Red Bull are determined to have a Lewis of their own.

I don't know who is the better driver or has greater potential.

#5 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:17

Ironically enough, last week during testing Vettel was faster than Webber over the long runs with the exact same car.

#6 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:22

Originally posted by paranoik0
I'm expecting Webber to win in qualifying due to his consistency,

That would be his 'consistency' of showing greater outright speed. Consistency, on its own, sounds a bit undersold!

#7 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:28

They say the cars will be quite different next year, so who knows...

#8 Bart

Bart

• 4,411 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:40

Originally posted by Rinehart
We shall see. I suspect there are plenty that will be thinking that Webber is about to be found out. Bring it on.

I'm thinking that Vettel is about to be found out. Both he and Webber are good drivers who can have occasional races of brilliance. The problem with this pairing is that people's opinions on Webber's ability vary wildly so a fairly evenly-matched season (which is what I expect) doesn't really say much at all.

#9 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:40

Really tough to call, both look very quick and somewhat error prone. Webber collapsed against Heidfeld's relentless approach, but I think Vettel will be more uneven. My money goes on Vettel for 2010, but Webber for 2009.

#10 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:47

Vettel's been struggling to contain his rookie teammate this year: he'll be crushed like a bug by Webber next year.

#11 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:50

Webber and Trulli are some of the best qualifiers, if Vettel can beat Webber in qualifying he may become a great driver, especially considering his age, he's 10 years yunger.

#12 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 13:52

He won't be crashed but I expect him to be slighty slower than Mark.

#13 Hames Junt

Hames Junt

• 302 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 14:12

It's a close one, I wouldn't like to call it. But one things for sure Vettel has bags of potential and he seems really mature for a 21 year old, I find him very impressive.

#14 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 14:15

Originally posted by AFCA
Ironically enough, last week during testing Vettel was faster than Webber over the long runs with the exact same car.

Did Vettel drive the Renault engined RBR last week, or was he in the STR with the alledged 20HP more powerful Ferrari engine ?

But on topic, I expect Mark to be comfortably faster, but in 2 years time Vettel will still be being talked about for the top drives, much like Rosberg is now, despite being slower than Mark all year.

#15 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 14:27

Well hello :drunk:

#16 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 15:23

Originally posted by Enkei

its clear that the photographer came too close to him. time to learn the trick from kimi

#17 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,781 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 15:32

It may be closer than people think but if you're Vettel you need to find pace in qualifying. The car is unlikely to be near the top of the time sheets so 2/10ths can drop you from Q8 to Q14 very easily. Just ask DC.

#18 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:14

I am impressed with the job that RBR is doing. Seb and Mark looks like a good combination and I hope that Mark does not 'hit a wall' just when it looks as though he has turned a corner. He deserves a clear run at doing something in F1, I hope that he gets a break and things finally fall his way in '09.

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:17

I actually expect Webber to be found out more than Vettel.

I expect that Webber will likely have the upper hand in the qualifying totals over the season, but not a crushing defeat of Vettel.

And I expect Vettel to be the better racer of the two. I do not understand why there are so many who do not see the upside on Vettel, no he is not a new Schumacher, but he is a very very very good and fast F1 driver.

:cool:

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:18

Vettel will have to work very hard to beat Webber. If Red Bull continue improving, I think Webber will score more points.

#21 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:22

I predict that after one season and what I think will be horrid personal experience from fighting young buck, Webber will retire.

#22 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:39

I think that Webber will destroy Vettel.

#23 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 16:57

Originally posted by Enkei

Now I get why they say that he is the new Schumacher...

Motormedia

#24 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 17:30

Webber's one fault is that he gets over-aggressive in the race, if he can cure that he'll be seriously good. Vettel has been taken out quite often by others at the back of the grid, it seems to me, RB have his telemetry and Webbo's so they must think he'll do OK.

A good pair, I think.

#25 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 17:45

BMW also had his telemetry and didn't decide to hire him over Bob or Nick. But he looks quite fast this season and it's a shame we can't see what would he able to do with current Red Bull car.

#26 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 18:16

Originally posted by bankoq
BMW also had his telemetry and didn't decide to hire him over Bob or Nick. But he looks quite fast this season and it's a shame we can't see what would he able to do with current Red Bull car.

BMW would have held on to him if they could, circumstances meant that they had to give up on him, or get rid of either Robert or Nick, not something they were prepared to do for a 19 year old. Had it been this season, I think it possible that they would have sacrificed Heidfeld for him, I am certain that BMW hold Vettel in very high esteem, and are fully aware that they may live to regret that they did not take him on last season.

#27 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 18:26

Originally posted by bankoq

Isn't he a Red Bull contracted driver from their development programme, though? Anyway at only just 21 he's a bit young for a top team like BMW, three years behind Kubi.

#28 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 18:27

It could be a Martin Brundle/Michael Schumacher situation or it could be a Michael Schumacher/Felipe Massa situation, or they may bothe be fired halfway through the season (very unlikely though).

Im gonna go with the MB/MS situation. Vettel wont out perform Webber, but he'll be close enough for Red Bull to keep him as their Golden Boy.

#29 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 18:53

I think Vettel will really show some speed next season. He should be a little more consistent with 1 year experience under his belt.

But I think he will do very well with a lot more technical support around him and a quicker and easier car to drive (in comparison to the Toro Rosso).

I'm not expecting him to beat Webber in qualifying because Webber is very fast, but Vettel isn't slow either and he has placed the Toro Rosso in some very high places, so I expect at least 3 GP's where he's stunned Webber and a few others around him.

#30 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 19:10

Originally posted by Crazy Ninja
It could be a Martin Brundle/Michael Schumacher situation or it could be a Michael Schumacher/Felipe Massa situation, or they may bothe be fired halfway through the season (very unlikely though).

Im gonna go with the MB/MS situation. Vettel wont out perform Webber, but he'll be close enough for Red Bull to keep him as their Golden Boy.

Webber is no Brundle and Vettel is no Schumahcer.
Webber is no Schumacher and Vettel is better than Brundle.

#31 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 19:27

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM

Webber is no Brundle and Vettel is no Schumahcer.
Webber is no Schumacher and Vettel is better than Brundle.

:lol: yeah thats true. I'll put more though into my next post :cool:

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 19:35

Actually I thought it was an interesting analogy, Webber just like Brundle has been around for a long time without ever getting a decent chance in a good car, Vettel is a young guy with potential and we have no idea yet whether he'll develop into a Schumacher or not - the biggest difference is that I think Webber has a lot more raw speed than Brundle had at that point. ;)

#33 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 19:43

I just threw it out there lol. I dont really know how Brundle and Schumacher were perceived back when they were at Bennetton (i was only 4 ) but to me Vettel has shown a lot of pace and his driving in the wet has been brilliant + Webber's been around for a few years now without having been in a race winning car but still putting in some great performances.

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by paranoik0
Actually I thought it was an interesting analogy, Webber just like Brundle has been around for a long time without ever getting a decent chance in a good car, Vettel is a young guy with potential and we have no idea yet whether he'll develop into a Schumacher or not - the biggest difference is that I think Webber has a lot more raw speed than Brundle had at that point. ;)

Brundle was in at least 1 good cars. He had a full season with Schumacher, which is the one the comment is referring to, and was outpointed and outraced by Schumacher doing his first full season of F1.

Webber have been in at least 2 good cars (Williams 2005 and Red Bull this season). Until this season, I have felt that Webber was hyped to more than what he really was worth, I have not completely changed my mind, but I am open to accepting that he may be better than I was placing as beginning of the season.

Webber is at best though just another 'David Coulthard', and Vettel is simply a better and more talented driver than him.

#35 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 20:39

Originally posted by Crazy Ninja
I just threw it out there lol. I dont really know how Brundle and Schumacher were perceived back when they were at Bennetton (i was only 4 ) but to me Vettel has shown a lot of pace and his driving in the wet has been brilliant + Webber's been around for a few years now without having been in a race winning car but still putting in some great performances.

Schumacher was perceived as the next great one, and Brundle was perceived as David Coulthard, but without any wins.

Webber currently is perceived as the next David Coulthard but with out the wins, and Vettel is perceived as the next great one.

#36 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:18

Many people think "Vettel should go to Ferrari". "Get him a Ferrari now".

When Webber came up against Nico and even DC, people thought he'd be smoked. I won't say anything else and will wait for the results to speak for themself. Vettel is a good driver in my opinion, overrated by some, underrated by others, it'll be interesting to watch.

#37 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:44

If I were Webber I'd be a little worried. It's a lose lose situation for him. If he beats his teammate over the season everyone will say he bloody well ought to, he's been racing long enough, if he loses it'll cancel any chance he ever had of getting a decent drive up the grid.

I think it'll be close but Vettel will show some real class. Look at how he's dealt with Bourdais. I certainly wouldn't bet on Webber blowing Vettel away. Far from it, I'd be surprised to see it happen.

#38 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:56

Being a Webber fan I expect/hope that Mark will blow him away (Fuji grrr!), but I can't be sure. Vettel really hasn't done it for me yet, it's too hard to see whats going on down the back.

As for AFCAs testing comment, pft, Mark doesn't gear up until race weekend, Saturday afternoon.

#39 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:58

Can we at least wait until they are actually driving in the same team before we start another interminable Apples V Oranges debate, which will get increasingly antagonistic over the year as factions begin to take up entrenched positions and start sniping at each other with ever increasing vituperation ending with weeks of sucks boo yah to you exchanges........................................

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,769 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 22:03

I predict that next season both will be driving the same midfield car and no one will really care. :)

#41 JonC

JonC

• 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 22:14

I haven't really seen Vettel do anything truly stunning yet...he's done OK but considering the STR is the same chassis with the same aero as the RBR and arguably a superior and certainly no worse an engine, if he was this new Schumi you would have expected him to be doing more. What has Vettel done that someone like Sutil hasn't for instance?

I would expect Webber-Vettel to be largely similar to Webber-Nico in 2006, Webber faster overall but Vettel having his fair share of faster weekends and keeping him honest.

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 22:15

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
Can we at least wait until they are actually driving in the same team before we start another interminable Apples V Oranges debate, which will get increasingly antagonistic over the year as factions begin to take up entrenched positions and start sniping at each other with ever increasing vituperation ending with weeks of sucks boo yah to you exchanges........................................

No, we can't, I've got my internet water guns ready.

#43 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 22:48

Vettel should be hired to BMW asap with Nico, replacing the curent line up. Then I have a dream team, and a race. Red Bull is a seatback for SV, IMO, unless he stays there just a season, and then moves forward.

#44 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,781 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:10

Originally posted by schuey100
If I were Webber I'd be a little worried. It's a lose lose situation for him. If he beats his teammate over the season everyone will say he bloody well ought to, he's been racing long enough, if he loses it'll cancel any chance he ever had of getting a decent drive up the grid.

Dunno about that. Vettel is highly rated (rightly or wrongly), probably mor ethan Rosberg wa sanyway. If he beats him well enough it's another tick.

Oh and as for "top drives", he'll never, ever get one. In reality there are only two drives, Hamilton has one for at least 5 years and the other is occupied by Kimi with Alonso likely to slide in.

Webber would be the worst number 2 on the grid as he qualifies too high.

#45 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:41

I will be supporting Mark to thrash the German.

#46 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:50

i think its going to be very very close... im guessing mark will outqualify seb 2:1, but in races im expecting them to be fairly even if not seb on the odd occasion beating mark.

#47 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:12

I predict Webbo will see Vettel off comfortably.

#48 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:56

I'll make two early predictions.

(1) Webber will, over the course of the season, beat Vettel. Some races Vettel will do a better job, but overall Webber will prove to be quicker in qualifying, quicker in the races, and more consistent. Webber will have more points at the end of the year.

(2) Despite (1), Webber will remain in the mid-field for 2010, while teams will fight over Vettel. Much like Webber and Rosberg this year.

#49 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:58

Originally posted by Jackman
Vettel's been struggling to contain his rookie teammate this year: he'll be crushed like a bug by Webber next year.

I think people don't appreciate how good or experienced Bourdais is. It creats a no-win scenario for Bourdais and Vettel.

#50 sejanus

sejanus

• 457 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:01

I personally think webber + bourdais would have been good, to keep developing the car with wise experienced heads to move it up the field.

that said I'm sure vettel is no mug either. it will be interested, but i think webber will do the job.