Photo

Louis Meyer

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 john glenn printz

john glenn printz

• 661 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 17:47

LOUIS MEYER (cont.-8) SUPPLEMENT III. Eddie and Louie. There is an article on Edward "Eddie" Meyer, Jr. in the July 1953 issue of SPEED AGE pages 65-68 entitled BOAT RACING KEEPS ME YOUNG by Bob Ruskauff. The article is mostly about Eddie's boat racing activities but does contain some paragraphs on Eddie's past automobile racing and his younger brother, Louis. Eddie was born in Europe on October 5, 1893 at Metz, Alsace-Lorraine. The family came to the U.S. about three years later.

In 1913 Eddie began to run a California Ford shop in the college town of Redlands, and this job lasted another 16 years. Eddie's first automobile race occurred on May 19, 1919. After that Eddie raced at the dirt tracks located at Pismo Beach, San Jose, San Louis Obispo, etc. In 1924 Eddie ran at the new 5/8's mile Ascot oval. According to Ruskauff, Louis's first try at automobile racing occurred at Ascot in 1926. Ruskauff quotes Eddie as saying, "About the second lap Lou spun and just missed having a wreck with Frank Lockhart who was getting started at the time. I was really worried about the kid and waved him in. Then I took the wheel and finished seventh." Eddie later said to Louie, "Kid, you might just as well stay off the tracks. In fact, stay off the tracks! You'll never make a race driver."

Eddie continued on about how Louie got into major league AAA racing, "We went down to Frank Elliott's to pick up some spark plugs one Sunday. He wanted a boy to go to Indy with him and I said I didn't know of one, but I must have hinted around at something. Anyway Lou took the job a week later, at $20 per week. In 1927 Lou had a chance to drive relief for Wilbur Shaw. Then in 1928 the AC Special was for sale. Aldon Sampson bought the car. He asked Lou to drive. Lou worked on it a week, put it in the race- and scored the first of his three triumphs in the great Indianapolis '500'."

On April 23, 1934 Eddie drove in the 150 mile stock car "Targo Florio" race held at Ascot Legion Speedway, CA and placed 10th overall. Louis Meyer won the contest.

There is an ad for EDDIE MEYER ENGINEERING COMPANY on page 63 in SPEED AGE for September 1950. It says, "Racing engines for midgets, hot rods and marine use". The address given is 645 North Roberson Blvd., West Hollywood 46, California.

Edited by john glenn printz, 30 November 2010 - 18:21.