Photo

Old Formula Vees - Group V in Australia

• Please log in to reply
1666 replies to this topic

#1651 Ladeeda

Ladeeda

• 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 23:11

Eric,  Peter Scott raced for more than one year. He raced in Formula Vee before he won the SA title, then later he raced in a F3 Cheetah borrowed from Ian Richards before buying a new Elfin 792. After racing that for about 1 year, he moved to USA where he has now lived for almost 40 years. I am his brother ,  I still live in South Australia , You didn't dream it

Advertisement

#1652 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:33

I don't think he had the Elfin even a year, I seem to recall just two meetings, but I could be wrong...

His aim, as you would have known, was to get a drive in the US. I well recall seeing him off from Sydney as he flew out (as well as many Saturday eveings spent together when I visited Adelaide for race meetings), the next time I saw him was in July, 2014 when I visited him in San Diego.

Apart from other things, he had made good in team management even if he didn't get a drive. And, of course, he engineered cars along the way. His low point was being on the crew of the Jeff Krosnoff car that fateful day in Toronto.

We watched The World's Fastest Indian together and talked about all those intervening years, our common losses and so on. Oddly enough, I didn't take any photos.

#1653 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 814 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 01:50

I heard the name 'Ormsby' on the radio this week. Peter Ormsby was a golf pro who went racing in Formula Vee. His son Jordan races a Porsche 911 and has a golf cart business and the other son, Wade, is a pro on the European circuit (golf, not racing).

BM

Edited by brucemoxon, 25 December 2019 - 01:53.

#1654 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 814 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:23

Do we all know there's a celebration for 55 years of Vee racing in Australia coming up?

Feb 22 and 23 at Wakefield Park, near Goulburn. There are races for 1200 and 1600 cars and regularity events too. I'll be having a steer in the latter, in my Dad's eponymous Moxon Vee. But don't let that put you off... There will also be Greg McCombie, Dick Bailey, Graham Engel and Mark Laverick. I'm hoping they'll be gentle when lapping me!

There's a dinner on the Saturday night, too, at the Soldiers Club. 

Very keen for as many anciens pilotes to be there as we can manage. The Old Man (mine, I don't mean Frank Kleinig) will be there to tell me what I'm doing wrong. 

BRM

#1655 Jacer

Jacer

• 264 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:53

I gave it a plug a few months back fairly early on but good to see you not only in your dads old car but giving it a push.

#1656 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,991 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:34

I heard the name 'Ormsby' on the radio this week. Peter Ormsby was a golf pro who went racing in Formula Vee. His son Jordan races a Porsche 911 and has a golf cart business and the other son, Wade, is a pro on the European circuit (golf, not racing).

BM

Pete Ormsby has been a golf pro for decades, he raced Vees at the front and then did the same with HQs.

Both of the boys have raced at least in Vees. One used to race a Porsche but I think Golf has taken over his life.

I do remember standing on the mound at Mallala not too long ago with Pete decrying the amount of unecesary [and bloody expensive] panel damage in that category.

#1657 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,237 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 22:50

...There's a dinner on the Saturday night, too, at the Soldiers Club. 

I was advised the function was at The Workers Club - I realise they're only a stone's throw apart but can someone clarify, thanks?

Just asking on behalf of the Judean People's Front.

#1658 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 814 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:51

I was advised the function was at The Workers Club - I realise they're only a stone's throw apart but can someone clarify, thanks?

Just asking on behalf of the Judean People's Front.

I beg your pardon. You are very correct.

WORKERS' Club, people. Workers'.

Silly old fart,Moxon...

BRM

#1659 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 20:26

A very enjoyable weekend.

Glad to have caught up with BRM finally.

It was a close finish in Heat #1 for the slowest 50 qualifiers!

55th-Vee-1-mod.jpg

Best wishes to Mark Laverick who became detached from his bike on his way to Goulburn. I few broken bones, including his pelvis, which isn't much fun at our age. No word on the condition of the bike!

Edited by Wirra, 23 February 2020 - 20:51.

Advertisement

#1660 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 21:40

Good to see a Mk 1 Rennmax up in the front of the lineup...

I imagine a good day was had by all, except Mark of course. My best wishes to him.

#1661 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 814 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 00:02

Good to see a Mk 1 Rennmax up in the front of the lineup...

I imagine a good day was had by all, except Mark of course. My best wishes to him.

Not just any Mk 1, that's the Bob Young then Damon Beck car. 

And it was a wonderful weekend, at least from my perspective of having a guest drive in the old man's old car. A slow and inconsistent drive, sure. But it was still fun.

BRM

#1662 Jacer

Jacer

• 264 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:04

As I've said before, great to see a Moxon in a Moxon and to see your dad down there.

The Rennmax hadn't been on track for around 35 years till this weekend. Dennis Riley bought it off Damon at least 15 or so years back and had planned to restore it but health slowed down that plan.. Former Vee driver from the early 70's Paul Fenech did a deal with Dennis to put it together for Paul to run in Regularity where Paul came second so if one good thing came out of the 55th it was the event being motivation the return of this car to the track. The car I believe will be up for sale although isn't advertised yet..

Edited by Jacer, 25 February 2020 - 03:06.

#1663 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 67,177 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:13

Denis, apart from being a very fast driver, was always an incredibly nice bloke...

As was Brian Sutton.

#1664 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 8,081 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:41

On Sunday, I caught up with a lot of blokes I drove with 'back then'. Col Merz, Cranky Franky, Denis Riley, etc., etc. I mentioned to Denis that Bill Smith was recovering from a stroke, and would surely like to hear from him. For those who don't know, Bill Smith was the 'S' in SRV.

I helped watched on as Col Merz gave Connor Ryan a hand to un-block carby jets - caused by bits of rubber fuel line. Connor said 'someone' suggested he remove the fuel filter! Unfortunately it only ran for a short time, then the problem returned. I knew Connor's dad, Patrick Ryan, who passed away last year. Enjoyed the day... :up:

#1665 Jacer

Jacer

• 264 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:44

Denis, apart from being a very fast driver, was always an incredibly nice bloke...

As was Brian Sutton.

Brian was there also.

#1666 Jacer

Jacer

• 264 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:46

On Sunday, I caught up with a lot of blokes I drove with 'back then'. Col Merz, Cranky Franky, Denis Riley, etc., etc. I mentioned to Denis that Bill Smith was recovering from a stroke, and would surely like to hear from him. For those who don't know, Bill Smith was the 'S' in SRV.

I helped watched on as Col Merz gave Connor Ryan a hand to un-block carby jets - caused by bits of rubber fuel line. Connor said 'someone' suggested he remove the fuel filter! Unfortunately it only ran for a short time, then the problem returned. I knew Connor's dad, Patrick Ryan, who passed away last year. Enjoyed the day... :up:

Looked up and saw you at one stage but with 3 blokes running 2 cars my hands were a bit full for 3 days.

#1667 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:17

As I've said before, great to see a Moxon in a Moxon and to see your dad down there.

Once a rally driver...

87268055_10221878928426182_1785415671564

BRM