Photo

Model cars /garages

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 19:11

It'll soon be the time of year where Santa has to clear the oily bits from the workbench and turn his thoughts to the son and heirs christmas pressies.

do any of the model collectors on here have any toy garages in which they display their models?

I have memories of painted plywood ones in art deco and modernist styles. I'm not looking to directly copy one, merely seeking inspiration!

Any photos would be greatly appreciated

Funnily enough, for a 2 year old he has quite a good selection of 1:43 models (including about 7 Lola T70s) already! and when he was one he got a 'cuddly spitfire'.......

Advertisement

#2 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 20:26

OK, here is a start...

CLICK HERE!

:)

OK, here is a way I use an old pe-war Dinky Toys garage to create "traffic" in the showcase:

Posted Image

Of course you can always stop by the Schuco snack bar for a cold one:

Posted Image :lol:

You can find all kinds of old tin and/or wooden garages and buildings on E-Pay. :)

#3 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:53

For 1:43 models you can buy garages for 'O Gauge' model railway layouts. Look for buildings by a company called 'Cornerstone'. This one cost me about GBP 20.00 :

Posted Image

#4 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 23:13

Here's my 2 bob's worth.

Pics attached are of two of five petrol stations/garages that I am building for an HO layout. Still very much a work in progress but may be of interest to TNF community.
These are JL Innovative Design products and the cars are variety of brands; Highway Miniatures, Woodland Scenics, Ricko, Classic Metal Works and The Wheel Works.
Not the sort of thing you would give a two year old but then again!

The "Cornerstone " brand is actually Walthers Cornerstone. They have massive site and much of what you see below has been source through them although there are many other suppliers out there.

http://www.walthers.com/

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 23:42

Finished!

Feeling quite proud of myself! How impressed a 2 1/2 year old will be remains to be seen on Christmas morning

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:04

Mistron; you don't want to 'Adopt' a 63year old son ,just for Christmas by any chance !!???????????...Garage is a "Credit....................need an after shot of the 2 1/2 yrs old face, as he discovers whats in such a 'BIG' parcel........Merry Christmas

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:52

I think he will love it. :up:

#8 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:23

What a great garage Mistron and it makes me quite emotional as my dear old father built me a very similar one about fifty years ago. I'm sure your son will love it and also have treasured memories of it in years to come.

David

#9 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:35

Ta for the nice comments.

I'm hoping to instill an attitude that things can actually be made rather than bought (OK, it would actually have been cheaper to buy one, but then Dad wouldn't have had any fun!)

seems this attitude is sadly out of date.

David, if this is like one your dad made in the '50s, I've pretty much nailed the look I was going for!

I'm a bit worried about what I'll do when he wants an Xbox or Playstation 12...... I hate soldering :lol:

#10 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:44

Originally posted by David Lawson
What a great garage Mistron and it makes me quite emotional as my dear old father built me a very similar one about fifty years ago. I'm sure your son will love it and also have treasured memories of it in years to come.

David

I second that, David. I too still have the garage, more a truck yard really, that my late dad made for me in the early fifties along with all the Dinky Foden lorries that went with it. I loved it then and would find it hard to part with it now. I was later given the Triang garage complete with working lift, but made from cardboard and hardboard. That didn't quite have the same sentimental value, so last year went in part exchange for a beautiful Exoto 1/43 Maranello Concessionaires transporter!

Mistron, I'm sure your son will have a great deal of pleasure from your handy work.