Photo

Mac Daghorn

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:28

Racing Driver Mac Daghorn was a fine hillclimb, racing and sports car driver in the late 1960s early 70s. Amongst other things, he was involved with Peter Westbury's Felday Engineering in Surrey. I have read that he came from The Channel Islands and I believe that he was actually from Guernsey is that correct?

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,850 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:54

You might do better looking at Jersey. DCN calls him a "local driver" in connection with a Bouley Bay hillclimb in "Cooper Cars". There's a Daghorn Motors in Jersey and also a current Jerseyman bike racer called Nick Daghorn. Those two, of course, might just be coincidence ....;)

Mac also seems to have been part of a company called Racing Partnerships (Jersey) Ltd:

http://jp.youtube.co...h?v=gNvb4Lebv-w

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:22

I'm also pretty sure he was from Jersey, not Guernsey. I lived in Guernsey at the time he was racing, and the local media would have made much more of a fuss about him had he been a Guernseyman.

#4 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:28

Thanks for that gentlemen.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the Guernsey Motorcycle and Car Car club website has a list of BTD winners for Les Val des Terres Hillclimb and foreigners - from England or Jersey -are identified by initials and Mac Daghorn is not. :

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:21

I wouldn't trust that list - it hasn't identified another couple of 'foreigners' in Dennis Poore and Arthur Owen. My earliest Val des Terres programme is from 1964, by which time Mac had moved on to higher things, but, (moving OT, sorry) it lists Ernie Priaulx - Andy's grandfather - competing in a small Fiat.

#6 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:54

Thanks Tim. As you say there appears to be some anomalies in the list of winners at Les Vals des Terres.
If I find out any more I'll let you know.

#7 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 22:33

I may be completely off the wall here but do I not remember as a kid seeing a picture of Mac in Motorcycle News as a sand racer on a (would it be a )BSA. That was before I got interested in Car racing and I remember thinking what a great name Mac Daghorn

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:02

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Just stumbled across a pic I took at the Oulton Park Tourist Trophy 40 years ago this month of Mac Daghorn's GT40. Mac was down to share it with Ian Williams but in the event drove it alone to 12th place. Alongside it is Jackie Oliver's Tech Speed Lola T70 that had originally been entered for Chris Craft. Chris had won the Martini in it the week before, but was contracted to be at Cristal Palace that weekend. Jackie was an early retirement from the race.

Edited by Giraffe, 04 May 2009 - 10:02.

#9 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 14:29

Found out the other week that Mac Daghorn still lives near the old Felday garage in Surrey, married to Libby and is in good health.

#10 andydolermo

andydolermo

• 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 16:50

Wow Girfaee... any chance you could share that picture of Daghorn gt40 with us? I guess the car had # 31 right? I saw a b/w picture of it of a Lola T70 book. Why that car was sometime entered by "Malaya Garage"? Anybody knows?

#11 andydolermo

andydolermo

• 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 16:51

Never mind :rolleyes: I just saw it.... :drunk:

#12 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 17:53

Wow Girfaee... any chance you could share that picture of Daghorn gt40 with us? I guess the car had # 31 right? I saw a b/w picture of it of a Lola T70 book. Why that car was sometime entered by "Malaya Garage"? Anybody knows?

Yes andydolermo, it was entered by Malaya Garage. Do you want me to e-mail it to you?

#13 andydolermo

andydolermo

• 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 23:17

Yes andydolermo, it was entered by Malaya Garage. Do you want me to e-mail it to you?

Could you? I would be your pal forever! :love:
Sorry to ask... but is there any chance you have pitures of the John Woolfe cars? I believe there were in that same race (Tourist Trophy 69) 2 Lola T70 entered, I think car #33 and car #34, one being a MK3b and one being an MK3.
THANKS!
Andy

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:01

Could you? I would be your pal forever! :love:
Sorry to ask... but is there any chance you have pitures of the John Woolfe cars? I believe there were in that same race (Tourist Trophy 69) 2 Lola T70 entered, I think car #33 and car #34, one being a MK3b and one being an MK3.
THANKS!
Andy

I've e-mailed you for your e-mail addy. I have pics of the Woolfe cars on 8mm, t/f'd to video, t/f'd to dvd, and am currently lifting images off it, so I'll let you know when I'm done. Richard Attwood drove the Mk111B, and John Woolfe the Mk111 with Digby Martland. I knew Digby's sister, Helen as the family owned the funfair at Southport at the time!!! The Mk111 was infact the previous year's winner in the hands of Denny Hulme; it was only there due to the McLaren M6GT failing to be homologated.

#15 ahe

ahe

• 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 21:28

Hello all,

there are pictures of the John Woolfe Racing entries ïn the 30th May 1969
Autosport issue page 13.

Ciao

/ahe

#16 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 20:52

Found out the other week that Mac Daghorn still lives near the old Felday garage in Surrey, married to Libby and is in good health.

And Peter Westbury also lives up the road as the two worked together in Felday Glade which I can see from where I am typing this...

Hence the Felday Daimler hillclimb car.

And Nina Rindt's daughter lived across the field until quite recently..

:cool:

#17 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 21:07

And Nina Rindt's daughter lived across the field until quite recently..

Fascinating David, she lived in Surrey?!

#18 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 21:10

I know Natascha!

#19 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 21:15

I know Natascha!

You bluddy well would ! :) :wave:

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 21:20

How very rude! lol

#21 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:56

Fascinating David, she lived in Surrey?!

OK the story...

A few years back I became involved in running the 1600cc F2 series started by the great Fredy Kumschick. I figured that it would be nice to adopt the name of The King of Formula 2 and rename the series The Jochen Rindt Trophy Series. As I would always do in these circumstances I resolved to get permission from either the person concerned or a relative. Fortunately an F1 friend of mine knows Nina extremely well and gave me her details and, slightly nervously, I called her. I introduced myself and we chatted a little about Jochen and so forth. Nina was charming and helpful although when I mentioned that I had been the custodian of 72/6 for some twenty years or more she said 'of course my memories of that car are not the best...'

Anyhow I asked her permission to adopt Jochen's name and she wholeheartedly agreed saying how much he enjoyed racing in F2. I then asked for a letter just to authorise this and started to give Nina my address. It's a bit complicated, says I, spelling it out. No, I know exactly where you are she said, my daughter lives in ....... Lane. Imagine my surprise talking to an icon like the beautiful Nina Rindt and she has frequently been a guest in her daughter's house which I could see from my window ! Surreal or what !

Nina is a pilot and I believe has flown planes for both Max and Bernie, clearly her father's daughter.

As has often been said TNF brings together so many people.

#22 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:24

'Nina is a pilot and I believe has flown planes for both Max and Bernie'
and me !!

#23 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:27

And Peter Westbury also lives up the road as the two worked together in Felday Glade which I can see from where I am typing this...

Peter sold up in 2006 and now lives in Tobago.

#24 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:35

OK the story...

A few years back I became involved in running the 1600cc F2 series started by the great Fredy Kumschick. I figured that it would be nice to adopt the name of The King of Formula 2 and rename the series The Jochen Rindt Trophy Series. As I would always do in these circumstances I resolved to get permission from either the person concerned or a relative. Fortunately an F1 friend of mine knows Nina extremely well and gave me her details and, slightly nervously, I called her. I introduced myself and we chatted a little about Jochen and so forth. Nina was charming and helpful although when I mentioned that I had been the custodian of 72/6 for some twenty years or more she said 'of course my memories of that car are not the best...'

Anyhow I asked her permission to adopt Jochen's name and she wholeheartedly agreed saying how much he enjoyed racing in F2. I then asked for a letter just to authorise this and started to give Nina my address. It's a bit complicated, says I, spelling it out. No, I know exactly where you are she said, my daughter lives in ....... Lane. Imagine my surprise talking to an icon like the beautiful Nina Rindt and she has frequently been a guest in her daughter's house which I could see from my window ! Surreal or what !

Nina is a pilot and I believe has flown planes for both Max and Bernie, clearly her father's daughter.

As has often been said TNF brings together so many people.

Such a small world, an incredible coincidence. Great name for the series, I saw Jochen many times, but the time I remember in F2 was the Brands August Bank Holiday meeting, he won by a country mile, in (IIRC) a Winkelman (sp) BT23, about the only graded driver not in the entry list was Jim Clark, impressive stuff :up:

#25 SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

• 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 14:17

This is all so weird to hear people talking about Mac Daghorn with such excitement & fondness - he's my Dad!

#26 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 14:21

This is all so weird to hear people talking about Mac Daghorn with such excitement & fondness - he's my Dad!

Cool - welcome to the forum.

#27 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 14:34

Yes, Welcome! Your dad hasn't still got the lovely GT40 that I photographed 40 years ago, and watched him race in it at Oulton Park, by any chance???

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2009-05-04

#28 SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 16:00

You might do better looking at Jersey. DCN calls him a "local driver" in connection with a Bouley Bay hillclimb in "Cooper Cars". There's a Daghorn Motors in Jersey and also a current Jerseyman bike racer called Nick Daghorn. Those two, of course, might just be coincidence ....;)

Mac also seems to have been part of a company called Racing Partnerships (Jersey) Ltd:

http://jp.youtube.co...h?v=gNvb4Lebv-w

I can confirm that Mac Daghorn is from Jersey and that both Nick Daghorn and Daghorn Motors are to do with Mac's family.

#29 SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:28

Yes, Welcome! Your dad hasn't still got the lovely GT40 that I photographed 40 years ago, and watched him race in it at Oulton Park, by any chance???

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2009-05-04

No Dad no longer has the GT40 but it's be completely refurbished and was driven at Goodwood about 4 years ago.

#30 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 21:05

I wrote to your father inviting him to Oulton Park Gold Cup last year, celebrating 40 years F5000 but don't know if he went as I had to cancel my trip at last minute. He must have wondered who I was or perhaps he thought it was a hoax!

#31 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 19:13

I was very sorry to get an e-mail from one of Mac Daghorn's friends this morning saying that he had just passed away.

#32 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 22:00

I was very sorry to get an e-mail from one of Mac Daghorn's friends this morning saying that he had just passed away.

That's very sad news Simon. Condolences to his daughter, who posts on TNF, and to the rest of his family and friends.

#33 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:34

Sorry to hear , another by me well remembered from then............

#34 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 13:27

Very sorry to hear of Mac Daghorn's passing. I remember talking to him and Peter Westbury at Oulton Park (possibly at the 1966 Tourist Trophy). I was a schoolboy at the time and trying to build a Felday 4 slot car. I wanted to replicate the metallic mid-blue of the original so having plucked up my courage, I approached Mac and Peter in the paddock and asked what paint they had used. They were both very friendly and happy to talk but were a bit vague on the paint colour. I remember Peter saying that it was just an ICI colour that they happened to have in the workshop when they were building the car.

Happy days, when a schoolboy could buy a paddock pass without taking out a mortgage and you could actually talk to the competitors at an international motor race!

#35 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 94 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 18:10

I heard the news and it spoilt my Christmas. He was not just a first class racer, engine builder, engineer, designer etc. but he was always prepared to (and did) roll his sleves up in the paddock to help fix other people's race cars late in his life. Treated all equal - spoke freely to the rich, & famous and the poor & unknown. Sadly missed among the Vee and SuperVee fraternity.

#36 shaunhollamby

shaunhollamby

• 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:42

RIP Mac Daghorn. Legendary VW race engine builder passed away last week after a long battle against cancer. Thoughts with his family.
Great man who had the respect from everyone who met him.

#37 SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl

• 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 13:34

Thank you for your lovely comments about Dad

#38 Rowland777

Rowland777

• 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 16:50

Hi Sunny Girl

I am the guy who bought the premises known as Felday Engineering from Peter Westbury. I am now retired from racing and living in Cyprus but I do remember very well working with your dad and Peter Westbury. So sad to learn that Peter has also moved on to that great team in the sky. You're mum was also a great lady who loved her job at the space research Lab HSM. How I miss those days.