Photo

F1 radiator dimensions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 manchild

manchild

• 134 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:19

Can someone please tell me at least approximate, overall dimensions of 2.4L F1 engine radiator(s) per sidepod? I only need simple box-like dimensions.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

#2 murpia

murpia

• 344 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:23

Unfortunately F1 radiators are rarely rectangular or 'box' shaped. Most have some combination of tapers, curves, cutouts, folds etc. in order to better package.

Check out the Autosport.com Gallery, usually you can find some images there of cars minus bodywork which may help you. If there's a tyre in shot you might be able to take some scale measurements.

Regards, Ian

#3 manchild

manchild

• 134 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:59

I know they are not with perfect rectangular cross section and that's why I asked for approximate dimensions. I need only approximate volume, most of all I'm interested in thickness. Any approximate hint would be ok for me. If it was a box like several years back, what space would it take?

I want to present new idea for sidepod, to design a sidepod I need to redesign radiator. In order to make it functional I need to design it using volume/dimensions of contemporary radiators. That's why I'm inquiring.

So, if you'd like another crazy idea presented here please help me out with those dimensions. :)

While we're at it, knowing the size of sidepod inlets/apertures would be helpful to.

Anyone? :|

#4 murpia

murpia

• 344 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 19:18

Originally posted by manchild
In order to make it functional I need to design it using volume/dimensions of contemporary radiators. That's why I'm inquiring.

Possibly a better approach would be to make your new design match the cooling performance of the contemporary radiators.

Assuming a cooling requirement of 500 to 550kW, roughly equal to current estimated levels of engine power, should get you started. Feel free to take liberties with the cooling split between oil and water.

Looking forward to seeing this new sidepod idea.

Regards, Ian

#5 manchild

manchild

• 134 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 19:56

I'm just working on a concept. Calculations of that kind are exceeding my knowledge. I'd just like to twist existing radiator of simple rectangular box shape into a different shape and than design sidepod around it.

Unless someone presents some info I guess I'll have to look up for hi-res photos of cars without engine cover and try to guess approximate dimensions.

I'd settle with 3.0L V10 radiator dimensions. It would be just fine for presentation of concept.

http://www.gurneyfla...rces/RB-006.jpg

http://www.gurneyfla...es/PICT0140.jpg

I'd say that thickness is around 50-70mm, length 600-700mm and height not more than 400-500mm.

#6 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 22:27

I'm just working on a concept.

People Eating Tasty Animals?

#7 murpia

murpia

• 344 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:09

I'm just working on a concept. Calculations of that kind are exceeding my knowledge. I'd just like to twist existing radiator of simple rectangular box shape into a different shape and than design sidepod around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMTD
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/NTU_method

Those links should get you started. There's no point in 'twisting' a radiator into a new shape if it doesn't work any more. Just assuming the same volume of radiator won't necessarily work.

Regards, Ian

#8 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:54

Originally posted by Fat Boy

People Eating Tasty Animals?

D ied I n A N asty A ccident?

#9 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 15:00

Originally posted by cheapracer

D ied I n A N asty A ccident?

Just when I think I've been a little over the top rude, someone has to go and out-do me.

Well Played.

#10 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:43

Well played indeed - best advert for wearing a seatbelt... ever.

Ben

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:18

I've never been able to get my head around that. I can't even start a car without putting my seat belt on.

I know a driver who recently had the steering wheel 'come off' while he was driving. Not off the column but it wasn't locked properly on the splines. He'd been sharing the car (a single seater) with another driver and was furious that the previous occupant hadn't replaced the wheel properly.

This didn't happen at pit out, but several laps in. How do you not check these things when you are the captain of the ship. :confused:

#12 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:40

Anyone else remember Brabham's, wrong-headed, attempt to use surface cooling panels in F1 ?

You'd have thought that they'd have known better.

Jim.

#13 gt40jim

gt40jim

• 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 16:57

Oh my, should I even do this. Need Another Seven Astronauts NASA