Photo

1968 'Competition Press' & 'Autoweek' copies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 island

island

• 289 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:35

Does anyone have the April 13, 1968 and May 11, 1968 copies?
Are there reports on SCCA Nationals?
Who were the winners of the Formula A class in the Formula SCCA race?

Advertisement

#2 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 16:49

Island:

Where were the races? I'm missing those two AutoWeek issues but could look up the results in Sports Car if I knew the locales.

Frank

#3 island

island

• 289 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 17:24

No specific races, Frank.
These two copies are lacking
in my 1968 CP&A collection.
Are there reports on
SCCA Nationals in early
1968 (March - June)
Sports Car magazines?

#4 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 18:10

I don't know if I have those Autoweeks. Haven't sorted out my "60s" collection yet! Don't know about SCCA National/Formula A results 1968 (March-June), but the entry list and results for the 1968 SCCA runoffs, including Formula A, are here, if that helps:

http://www.virhistor.../1968-entry.htm

http://www.virhistor...ns/68-res-2.jpg

They didn't have the National races back east any more at that point, right? They had SCCA Divisionals across the country which led to the runoffs?

Vince H.

#5 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 18:11

March: no reports
April: no reports
May: page 21, Stardust Nationals, photos/captions only, no date, FA winner Bruce Eglinton, Team LeGrand-Chev
June: page 22, Marlboro Nationals, photos/captions only, no date, no FA shown; page 43, FA standings for Southern Pacific Division after Las Vegas [Stardust], Willow Springs, and Tucson races show Bruce Eglinton, NSU, 9 pts (no other divisions list FA standings)

That's it. Of course, this doesn't mean that other nationals didn't occur and include FA.

NSU seems strange, possible error?

Frank

#6 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 18:29

Originally posted by island
Does anyone have the April 13, 1968 and May 11, 1968 copies?
Are there reports on SCCA Nationals?
Who were the winners of the Formula A class in the Formula SCCA race?

Wolfgang, I have those two and here is what I found.

No SCCA Natls. or Regionals in the April 13 issue - all Sebring.

May 11 issue...

race date April 21 - Stuttgart, Arkansas (Grand Prairie GP, SCCA Nationals)...F/A winner - Mac Kronn, McKee

Write-up: "Two of the wildest and most exciting cars at the airport course were the Formula A cars of Joe Starkey and Mak (sic) Kronn. Starkey's car is a converted McLaren Group 7, but Kronn's is a new effort by McKee.

Starkey led Kronn by as much as 15 seconds, but Kronn caught and passed the McLaren and went on to an easy F/SCCA victory. Doug Champlin wheeled his new LeGrand to a second overall and first in F/B while Jack Hayes drove his Lotus to the F/C win." (those last two sentences for Allen Brown, figured while I was there, I'd get the F/B data in case he was interested)

April 21 - Fernandina, Florida (SCCA Nationals) - F/A winner - none (for Allen Brown: Hugh Kleinpeter had an F/B Raceco Beach, built a big early lead over Bob Mercer's similar car before losing two laps with a flat. Mercer went on to win)

April 21 - Danville, Virginia (SCCA Regionals)...F/A winner - none (none in F/B either).

#7 island

island

• 289 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:18

Thanks very much, Frank and Jim.

#8 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 18:23

Originally posted by Jim Thurman
...those last two sentences for Allen Brown, figured while I was there, I'd get the F/B data in case he was interested...

You're a good man Jim!

#9 horizon

horizon

• 71 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:10

Help.......While reserching the History of a McLaren M4,  I,m Told that an advert offering the ex Chq. Flag M4 Mclarens (one car being a F3 M4) was placed in the fall of 1968 of "Competiton press" .

I Would VERY grateful ,  if anyone that has copies from that era , could post a copy of that advert ? if indeed it does exsist :)

THANK YOU

Tony Garmey

#10 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:27

Tony:  I took a quick look in my boxes of old "Competition Press/Autoweek" issues, and found the advert you are asking about, but my scanner is out of order.  I can quote from the ad if that would help.  This ad is from the issue of December 28, 1968, page 36, and includes a single b/w photo of car #78.  Hope this helps!

McLaren M4A. 1968 monocoque Formula 2 chassis ideal for Formula B.  Four cars available in black, red, blue, yellow/white nose cones. All just completely stripped and rebuilt in immaculate condition, ready for engine/gearbox.  8", 9 1/2", or 10" front rims and 10" or 12" rears - latest Dunlop 970 tyres.  Spare wishbones, radius rods etc; wet weather narrow section Dunlop 970's available.  Cost new $6000 - our price and for immediate delivery $3000 each.  Cable or write to Warner, The Chequered Flag Racing Team, Ltd., at Chiswich High Road, London W-4

#11 horizon

horizon

• 71 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:56

Thank You JB . Now on the "hunt" for a copy of this Issue. 

Tony

#12 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:33

Tony:  I took a quick look in my boxes of old "Competition Press/Autoweek" issues, and found the advert you are asking about, but my scanner is out of order.  I can quote from the ad if that would help.  This ad is from the issue of December 28, 1968, page 36, and includes a single b/w photo of car #78.  Hope this helps!

McLaren M4A. 1968 monocoque Formula 2 chassis ideal for Formula B.  Four cars available in black, red, blue, yellow/white nose cones. All just completely stripped and rebuilt in immaculate condition, ready for engine/gearbox.  8", 9 1/2", or 10" front rims and 10" or 12" rears - latest Dunlop 970 tyres.  Spare wishbones, radius rods etc; wet weather narrow section Dunlop 970's available.  Cost new $6000 - our price and for immediate delivery $3000 each.  Cable or write to Warner, The Chequered Flag Racing Team, Ltd., at Chiswich High Road, London W-4

Very interesting  - thanks JB.

The colours are interesting.  As far as I know, all the Flag cars, both F2 and F3, were white over black so this implies they have been resprayed.  Also interesting that the car pictured was numbered 78.  The only use of a 78 I'm aware of is in the initial Scalextric F3 team publicity shots where the cars were numbered 77 and 78.  See page 107 of Richard Hesiltine's Warner book.