1925 Guipúzcoa Touring Car Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 288 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 14:50

Seasons Greetings to all on TNF.

I would appreciate the assistance of any Spanish speakers on TNF. I have been looking into the 1925 Guipúzcoa Touring Car Grand Prix which was held at the Lasarte circuit in San Sebastian. I have recently acquired a copy of the Spanish book 'Circuito de Lasarte - Memorias de una pasión' by Angel Elberdin. Can anyone translate the following extracts for me? What I can gather is that Rudi Caracciola experienced a problem with a wheel/tyre? and benefitted from the generous assistance of Sabipa.

Laly, los hermanos Danielli y Caracciola comandan el resto de categories, peligrando el Mercedes su clasificación por un feroz Sabipa.

Cerrada la noche, se produce un hecho insólito. El corridor Caracciola, desprovisto de rueda de repuesto, tiene problemas en un neumático de la dirección, viéndose obligado a la retirada. El francés Sabipa, perfecto amateur, enterado del problema y en un rasgo que le honra, se detiene sin vacilar a ceder a su más directo contrincante la rueda que lleva de recambio en medio de estruendosos aplausos.

Mayor fortuna para Laly, que resulta ileso del volquete sufrido en Bazcardo poco antes de retirarse Foresti y Caracciola por sendas pannes.

Did Caracciola retire from the race? If not, does anyone have details of his final placing, the distance covered in the 12 hours and his average speed?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 17:46

Not a translation, but something I prepared earlier

As part of the big San Sebastian festival in Spain, a 12hr production-car handicap called the Gran Premio Guipuzcoa (but more usually known as the Spanish Touring Car GP) was run, taking place during the week between the European and Spanish GPs.
The race was historically significant in that it marked the first-ever international race appearance of Mercedes-Benz cars, for the two German makes had combined only the previous month. Three new six-cylinder 6246cc 24/100K models were entered, for Christian Werner/Willy Walb, Rudolf Caracciola/Kuhnle and Otto Merz/Walter Gärtner. They were the last cars away, with 15 minutes to catch on the 3.8-litre Peugeots and a total of 1½ hours on the 1100s.
After three hours the 1100s were still in the first three places, followed by the 2-litre machinery. Boillot in the best of the Peugeots was only 12th, but nevertheless still well clear of the three Mercedes-Benzes. The German cars were in fact performing dismally, neither their tyres nor their brakes being up to the demands of such an event.
The leading positions were the same at half-distance, but what was significant was that the little Chenard-Walcker tanks were actually increasing their lead over the OMs, which were in turn pulling away from the Mercedes entries. The fancied Laly/Flohot Ariès retired with a broken axle.
At the end Léonard/Manso de Zuniga and Lagache/Pisart duly took the first two places in their little tanks, the first of which was supercharged. The OM was third and then came the Peugeots of Boillot/Serre and Rigal/Letailleur, followed by Merz/Gärtner and Caracciola/Huhnle in the big Mercedes, with the third German entry still down in tenth place.

No mention of Sabipa, sorry

#3 Carles Bosch

Carles Bosch

• 145 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 19:16

Simon, here you'll find a rough translation to english:

Laly, the Danielli brothers and Caracciola lead the rest of categories, but the Mercedes drivers sees his position threatened by a ferocious Sabipa.

Well in the dark night, an unusual fact takes place. The driver Caracciola, devoid of supply wheel, has problems with a front tire, forcing him to abandon the race. Then, the frenchman Sabipa, pure amateur, knowing about Caracciola's problem and in a feature that honors him, stops without hesitating to leaving his replacement wheel to his more direct opponent in the middle of a thunderous ovation.

More lucky was Laly, who resulted unharmed of a roll-over in Bazcardo moments before Foresti and Caracciola were forced to abandon the race due to mechanical failures.

Carles.

#4 Marc Ceulemans

Marc Ceulemans

• 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 19:34

Not a translation, but something I prepared earlier As part of the big San Sebastian festival in Spain, a 12hr production-car handicap called the Gran Premio Guipuzcoa (but more usually known as the Spanish Touring Car GP) was run, taking place during the week between the European and Spanish GPs. The race was historically significant in that it marked the first-ever international race appearance of Mercedes-Benz cars, for the two German makes had combined only the previous month. Three new six-cylinder 6246cc 24/100K models were entered, for Christian Werner/Willy Walb, Rudolf Caracciola/Kuhnle and Otto Merz/Walter Gärtner. They were the last cars away, with 15 minutes to catch on the 3.8-litre Peugeots and a total of 1½ hours on the 1100s. After three hours the 1100s were still in the first three places, followed by the 2-litre machinery. Boillot in the best of the Peugeots was only 12th, but nevertheless still well clear of the three Mercedes-Benzes. The German cars were in fact performing dismally, neither their tyres nor their brakes being up to the demands of such an event. The leading positions were the same at half-distance, but what was significant was that the little Chenard-Walcker tanks were actually increasing their lead over the OMs, which were in turn pulling away from the Mercedes entries. The fancied Laly/Flohot Ariès retired with a broken axle. At the end Léonard/Manso de Zuniga and Lagache/Pisart duly took the first two places in their little tanks, the first of which was supercharged. The OM was third and then came the Peugeots of Boillot/Serre and Rigal/Letailleur, followed by Merz/Gärtner and Caracciola/Huhnle in the big Mercedes, with the third German entry still down in tenth place. No mention of Sabipa, sorry

This is a report of 1926 !

#5 Marc Ceulemans

Marc Ceulemans

• 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 19:42

20 September 1925, results

1- René de Buck / Pierre Decrose (Ballot 2 LS n°14)
2- Rigal* (Peugeot 4 L n°8)
3- "Sabipa"* (Bugatti 1500 cc n°25)
4- Caerels / Dils (Excelsior 5.3 L n°3)
5- Danielli / Danielli (OM 2 L)
6- Minoia / Morandi (OM 2 L)
7- Landa* (Lancia 3 L n°10)
8- Berga* (Lancia)

DNF- Duray / Marin (Excelsior n°1)
DNF- Laly* (Ariès 3 L n°9)
DNF- Boillot / Wagner (Peugeot 4 L n°6)
DNF- Caracciola (Mercedes 1500 n°24)
DNF- Foresti / Balestrero (OM 2 L)
DNF- Ganga* (Jewett n°4)
DNF- Marandet (Delage n°16)

15 starters
* I don't know their respective codriver

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 20:48

Originally posted by Marc Ceulemans
This is a report of 1926 !

Doh :blush:

#7 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 21:49

Well Felix, at first Schell with his Cooper is in the official programme and a programme is not printed the day of the race!
Secondly I also found Schell-Cooper in what was published by the local newspapers, Nice-Matin and L'Espoir de Nice, in their 13th of may edition; the race was the 21st of may. The Motor 24th of may relating the race said Schell had a 1100 Cooper.
More interesting is in The Autocar, 26th of may and giving the order of the starting grid: "...and lastly Schell, his Cooper now equipped with a 1100cc J.A.P. engine, with which he had not, of course, practised.".

#8 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 21:50

Ooops, sorry, not the good thread!

#9 Boniver

Boniver

• 589 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 22:18

xx xx 1923 - I. Guipuzcoa 12h - HD - Lasarte

1. Martin + ???? - Bignan
2. ????
3. ????

21 sept 1924 - II. Guipuzcoa 12h - HD - Lasarte

1. Matthys + ???? - Bignan
2. ????
3. ????

#10 Marc Ceulemans

Marc Ceulemans

• 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 22:49

3rd Nicola Carais/Diels – Excelsior #1 – 1113.2km @ 92.7km/h

Good spelling = Nicolas Caerels / André Dils.

From Belgium, 2 former riding-mechanics of Christiaens and / or Hornsted in pre-WW1 Grand Prix and Indy 500.
They both worked at the works Excelsior as test driver or chief mechanic. They also competed as drivers at Spa, Le Mans, Routes Pavées, Guipuzcoa and in Belgian sprints and Ralllyes in the 1920s.

About the results, don't forget it was an Handicap race. My version probably take it into account, but I like to read various sources.

#11 Marc Ceulemans

Marc Ceulemans

• 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 23:33

Henri Springuel (Belgium)
Henry Matthys (Belgium)
Henry or Henri de Courcelles (France)