Robert Schroeder

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 19:11

I've need more info:

Bob Schroeder(born:1926/11/21,Chester,Illinois)
Entered:1959 Indy 500 #78 Midwest Manufacturing
Raced:sprint car and 1958-59 Champcar

Rob Schroeder(born:1924/05/11,Medina,Wisconsin-died:1989/05/30,Conover,Wisconsin)
Entered:1962 US GP F1(Lotus)John Mecom
Raced:abt.1959-62 SCCA,USAC Road Racing

Have somebody more info?

Advertisement

#2 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 21:34

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder in Jim Hall's Lister/Chevy at Fort Sumner, New Mexico, in June 1959.

In spite of what various internet sites claim, the Bob Schroeder who raced for John Mecom in 1962 is still very much alive, living in Dallas, Texas.

Bob was a crack mechanic and raced a wide range of cars in his career: a Kurtis /Buick in 1957, Jim Hall's Pig Pen [a Monza with Chevy power] in 1958, Jim Hall's Lister/Buick in 1959, Ebb Rose's 300S Maserati in 1959, Dick Hall's Birdcage in 1960 and 1961, and John Mecom's deTomaso/Alfa Romeo and Lotus 24/Climax, the latter in the U.S. Grand Prix and the Mexican Grand Prix in 1962.

In 1963 Bob became a Goodyear dealer in Dallas and Roger Penske took over his spot in the Mecom team.

Bob Schroeder enjoys going to lunch meetings with his buddies and Delmo Johnson is one of his regular lunch buddies.

all research Willem Oosthoek.
photo Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 July 2010 - 17:16.

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 21:49

Posted Image
This is the Bob Schroeder who raced at Road America

Then there is the [different] Bob Schroeder who raced in the Midwest, often at Road America after it opened. Starting with an MG-TD in a SAC race at Chanute Field in 1953, he continued with a Jag XK-120, a Nardi, a Fiat Abarth, a Testa Rossa, an XK-SS, a Lotus and a Porsche into 1961.

The Bob Schroeder who was a regular at Road America signed his name as J. Bob Schroeder. The 1960 RA 500 program has him as Robert Schroeder of River Forest, Illinois, sharing his GM-class #42 Lotus 11 with Bob Leiss.

In the 1961 Road America 500 race Bob Schroeder and again Bob Leiss are credited with 10th overall, in a #42 Porsche RS.

all research Willem Oosthoek.

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 23:01

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
In spite of what various internet sites claim, the Bob Schroeder who raced for John Mecom in 1962 is still very much alive, living in Dallas, Texas.

Bob Schroeder enjoys going to lunch meetings with his buddies and Delmo Johnson is one of his regular lunch buddies.

Oh crap. Yet another I have got wrong. :( I will have to take a long & hard look at the future now. I will start a thread on this soon.

But I am amazed he is still alive - there has been so much work in trying to track this man down.. and yet, people have known all the time that not only is he traceable, he's very traceable.

Who was the Rob Schroeder from Wisconsin, then, because there WAS a Rob Schroeder from there?

And with THE Bob Schroeder... is his birth date correct as it doesn't interrelate with any other online source?

Thanks, though, Jerry for correcting my wrong, for it is my fault. And for that, I fully apologise, both to Bob for "killing him off" and to those who use my work as a resource.

#5 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:26

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder in Pig Pen
This was a chevy powered Ferrari. Photo taken in 1958 at Mansfield, Louisiana.

Richie: Bob Schroeder isn't that easy to get a hold of. I will get you all the right date of birth and place of birth information.

photo Bob Jackson - from the Willem Oosthoek collection.

#6 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:01

Originally posted by sramoa
Bob Schroeder(born:1926/11/21,Chester,Illinois)
Entered:1959 Indy 500 #78 Midwest Manufacturing
Raced:sprint car and 1958-59 Champcar

Have somebody more info?

Raced Sprint Cars? I don't think so. This Bob Schroeder (and I've no idea if the birth date and place are correct, but I've seen him listed as from Chester, IL) is a bit of a mystery. With minimal background in racing that I am aware of (a very few USAC Midget races in 1957/8), he bought the 1951 Hopkins/Offenhauser Champ Car (the one raced so successfully by Henry Banks and George Amick) and tried to run the car as the "Dinkins Special" (say what?) on the USAC National Championship schedule for roughly a year in 1958/9.

He usually failed to qualify, and had a couple of 15th place finishes or so, making about $1,000 before selling the car on (to Doug Stearly, who incidentally continued to have great success with it!). Then there was Indy in '59, and Schroeder had an old (1955) Kurtis/Offenhauser Indy Car entered for him by Carl Gehlhausen - I believe that was Carl's first Indy entry. I'm not sure if Schroeder ever completed his rookie test, but the only qualifying attempts of the car were made by Gene Force, and it was too tired to be fast enough - the car actually hadn't qualified since 1956, when it finished 21st (driven by Johnnie Tolan - you can find a picture of it in the Tolan thread :)).

After that, Schroeder retired back into obscurity. He may have raced on in the minor leagues for decades, who knows? Midgets are not my forte, and I'm pretty sure the above is his complete Big Car record.

#7 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:12

Richie: Bob Schroeder isn't that easy to get a hold of. I will get you all the right date of birth and place of birth information.

Thank you Jerry. Schroeder's given date of birth is the 11th May 1926 (no info about birthplace) - something I've never been satisifed with. I have a feeling that it perhaps should be the 5th November - but that too, doesn't add up. There's two Robert Schroeder's in Dallas, one born in July 1926 & one born in March 1928... :confused: So, if you can clear up the mystery, I'd be very appreciative.

The reason for the above Schroeder from Wisconsin is there WAS once, a Rob Schroeder from Wisconsin who was racing, who I was led to believe is the John Mecom Schroeder. There was a brief news snippet & with a link to the SSDI, it seemed now possible, nay probable that the 1924-1989 chap was our man. It was a educated hunch & it was wrong. Please apologise to Bob on my behalf & like I said to others, sorry for getting this one wrong.

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 20:47

Richie: Bob Schroeder [the one of the Mecom rides], say that he was born on May 11, 1926 in El Dorado, Arkansas, close to the state line with Louisiana.

Bob Schroeder recalled that John Mecom rented his Lotus 24 from Rob Walker for only two races at the end of 1962, so the Walker colors were never changed to Mecom's own metallic blue. At Watkins Glen his co-driver was Trintignant, at Mexico City it was Ricardo Rodriguez, who crashed in practice with fatal results.

At the Glen the engine vibrated heavily and lacked top speed. In the two weeks between the races it was sent back to England. In Mexico it was still vibrating extensively. While Bob was running 3rd overall, with Jim Hall right behind him in 4th, Hall pointed at Schroeder's left rear wheel, which was about to come off. A lower wishbone had cracked and to this day Bob suspects that the same may have happened to Ricardo in practice.

as told to Willem Oosthoek.

#9 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 23:44

Richie: Bob Schroeder [the one of the Mecom rides], say that he was born on May 11, 1926 in El Dorado, Arkansas, close to the state line with Louisiana.

Bob Schroeder recalled that John Mecom rented his Lotus 24 from Rob Walker for only two races at the end of 1962, so the Walker colors were never changed to Mecom's own metallic blue. At Watkins Glen his co-driver was Trintignant, at Mexico City it was Ricardo Rodriguez, who crashed in practice with fatal results.

At the Glen the engine vibrated heavily and lacked top speed. In the two weeks between the races it was sent back to England. In Mexico it was still vibrating extensively. While Bob was running 3rd overall, with Jim Hall right behind him in 4th, Hall pointed at Schroeder's left rear wheel, which was about to come off. A lower wishbone had cracked and to this day Bob suspects that the same may have happened to Ricardo in practice.

as told to Willem Oosthoek.

Thanks Jerry, for the confirmation.

So, after all that, the date was right. Guess Bob is a quite private man, hence the date has been difficult to pin down.

Of course, what happened to Rodriguex must have affected him. I never really thought about that...

Does that make Bob the only Grand Prix driver from Arkansas?

Thanks again :up:

#10 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:41

Bob Schroeder recalled that John Mecom rented his Lotus 24 from Rob Walker for only two races at the end of 1962, so the Walker colors were never changed to Mecom's own metallic blue.

There's a photo in the big Simon Arron/Mark Hughes book clearly showing Schroeder in a light metallic blue Lotus 24 carrying #26. Judging by the white guardrail in the background, it must be Watkins Glen.

#11 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 17:39

Posted Image
Start at Mansfield, Louisiana, in September 1957, with Bob Schroeder and his Kurtis/Buick closest to the chief starter.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 21:43

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder and Carolyn Lance during one of his recent "old driver" meetings at Dunston's steakhouse in Dallas

photo: Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 July 2010 - 01:26.

#13 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:21

Posted Image
Former Jim Hall, Ebb Rose, Carroll Shelby and John Mecom mechanic Frank Lance joined the party as well

Edited by Jerry Entin, 02 July 2010 - 02:22.

#14 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:24

Posted Image
As did legendary Corvette driver Delmo Johnson and his friend Dale Miller.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 July 2010 - 01:25.

#15 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:16

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder and friend during one of his recent "old driver" meetings at Dunston's steakhouse in Dallas

Jerry, thanks for this. He still looks well for his age, I must admit. :up:

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:01

Posted Image
Old friends Delmo Johnson and Frank Lance

This was also at the Dunston's Steakhouse meeting

In the day Frank Lance worked as a mechanic on the Jaguar XK-SS in post #11. Delmo Johnson owned and raced the same car from October 1959 on.

Richie: Bob also has a hot rod Audi he drives. Age is what you make of it.

Looks like Bob is having a very good time with his friends.

Photo:Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 02 July 2010 - 11:04.

#17 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:32

Posted Image
Chas Ced
Also present was Chas Ced. Chas was not a race driver, but as an 18-year old he ran the bar upstairs of Carroll Shelby Sports Car Inc in Dallas during 1958. It was called the Playboy Club, long before Hugh Hefner claimed the name.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 July 2010 - 02:36.

#18 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:51

Just a question to get it clear for me. The gentleman on the portrait in post 3 above (Febr 01, 2009), is it:

Robert Schroeder born November 21, 1926 in Chester, Il. (Indy 500 1959)
or Robert Schroeder born May 11, 1926 in El Dorado, Ar. (USA GP 1962)

Thanks!

Edited by Dan Axelsson, 03 July 2010 - 08:55.

#19 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:11

There's a photo in the big Simon Arron/Mark Hughes book clearly showing Schroeder in a light metallic blue Lotus 24 carrying #26. Judging by the white guardrail in the background, it must be Watkins Glen.

Yes, again, diver's souvenirs do not match with photographic evidence...

Advertisement

#20 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:12

Yes, again, diver's souvenirs do not match with photographic evidence...

Sorry: driver

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 13:15

Rudi: The driver in post #3 is J. Robert Schroeder he is not the one who tried his luck with Indy cars. J. Bob was from Illinois and raced only sports cars. We don't know his date of birth.

J. Bob was the third race driver with the name Robert Schroeder. The one who drove for John Mecom was Robert Edward Schroeder.

all research Willem Oosthoek

#22 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 13:17

Posted Image
John Mecom and Bob Schroeder
Posted Image
Bob Schroeder in the Lotus 24/Climax

Two shots of Bob Schroeder taken during the October 1962 U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, one with John Mecom, one with the Lotus 24/Climax that Mecom rented from Rob Walker.

Photos: Bob Schroeder Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 July 2010 - 13:28.

#23 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 16:17

Many thanks for sorting this out Jerry! And for the nice photos!

#24 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 16:46

Posted Image
John Mecom and Bob Schroeder
Posted Image
Bob Schroeder in the Lotus 24/Climax

Two shots of Bob Schroeder taken during the October 1962 U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, one with John Mecom, one with the Lotus 24/Climax that Mecom rented from Rob Walker.

Photos: Bob Schroeder Collection

Thanks for thoses photos.

My message was just about the fact that the car was metallic blue and not in the Waker usual dark blue colour.

#25 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 21:35

Jerry,
I assume that due to the distance, no relation between Bob Schroeder and Gary Schroeder of racing car steering components fame?
P

#26 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 23:06

Posted Image
Back to the early years: Bob Schroeder in his "23 Skidoo" Jaguar XK-120 of 1952 vintage.

The track is Mansfield, Louisiana, in September 1953. It was Bob's first year of competition.

Philippe: No relation between the Schroeders.

photo: Bob Schroeder collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 December 2011 - 16:38.

#27 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:02

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder, John Corbett and Clarence "Hop the Cop" Hopper reload the FoMoCo Special on its trailer.
This photo was taken near Livingston, Texas, during a trip from Houston to Mansfield in 1956. Jim Saunders was scheduled to race the Thunderbird-engined FoMoCo at Mansfield. Saunders built the Special, which started life with an Alfa Romeo sedan engine in 1955, while oilman Warren Layne footed the bills.

The car came off the trailer near Livingston, broke through some barb wire and ended up deep in a cow pasture, where it could not be seen from the road. Bob Schroeder, who previously raced the Alfa Romeo version, came upon the scene and helped look for the car. Only after spotting a break in the barb wire did the crew find the FoMoCo. Going into 1957 the car held the lap record at Mansfield, set by Saunders.

Clarence Hopper, a Houston Police officer and later FBI agent, was the only other driver to race the FoMoCo in 1956. His brother-in-law John Corbett was part of the pit crew.

Photo: Bob Schroeder Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 July 2010 - 01:19.

#28 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 14:33

Posted Image
Here is that hat again, now shared with Shirley Fenner during the 1956 SCCA National at Eagle Mountain.

Bob Schroeder was only a spectator that weekend, clowning with Shirley Fenner. Shirley was the wife of Hal Fenner, who finished second overall in Race 1 with a production Porsche. Hal Fenner raced a Jaguar D later in the season.

In the background are the Corvettes of Bob Stonedale [#64] and Dick Thompson [#18], the MG-TD of Bob Gilbert and the XK-120 of Curtis Attaway.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 July 2010 - 15:09.

#29 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:37

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder and his new Kurtis/Buick at Avandaro, Mexico, in April 1957.

Early in 1957 Bob, with the help of Dale Burt, completed his 6.2-liter Buick powered Kurtis. In its second event after Mansfield, it ran at Avandaro, where Johnny von Neumann's Ferrari 625 TRC won. The Kurtis/Buick developed problems with its disc brakes; the Goodyear aircraft calipers never worked as intended. Schroeder remembers he finished 5th overall.

Note the repaired light pole. A Corvette from Costa Rica hit it early in the race. The pole fell across the track, forcing the race to a temporary halt.

photo; Bob Schroeder collection
Photo scanned for site Laurie Williamson

#30 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:09

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder's Kurtis/Buick at speed in the streets of Torreon, Mexico in 1957.
Note the lack of any crowd control.
Later in the year Bob and Norm Scott [Porsche 550RS] traveled from Houston to Mexico for another sports car event. Again the brakes proved the Kurtis' weak point. Ricardo Rodriguez [Porsche 550RS] won over Scott, while Pedro Rodriguez stuffed his Corvette in the hay bales. Bob remembers he finished 4th or 5th overall.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 July 2010 - 17:13.

#31 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:27

Keep these coming, Jerry, they're superb. Brings new life to a name who often just appears as a mere statistic on websites/books.

#32 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:35

Later in the year Bob and Norm Scott [Porsche 550RS] traveled from Houston to Mexico for another sports car event. Again the brakes proved the Kurtis' weak point. Ricardo Rodriguez [Porsche 550RS] won over Scott, while Pedro Rodriguez stuffed his Corvette in the hay bales. Bob remembers he finished 4th or 5th overall.

I have a race at Torreon on september 15 where Schroeder was fourth behind Mariscal in his D-Type Jaguar and the two Porsches.

Jerry, do you know where the Kurtis-Buick body came from ?

#33 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:31

ERault:

Bob Schroeder describes the body of his Kurtis as a "fiberglass kit car" body. He does not remember the manufacturer.

#34 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:19

ERault:

Bob Schroeder describes the body of his Kurtis as a "fiberglass kit car" body. He does not remember the manufacturer.

Looks like a Kurtis 500M. Here is a link:

http://www.forgotten...m/?page_id=2797

Vince H.

#35 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:59

Posted Image
Four Houstonians checking out Don Zeek's AC/Bristol before the inaugural Galveston Races; from the left, Zeek, Bob Stonedale [entered with his XK-SS], Bob Schroeder [Kurtis/Buick] and Big Jim Hall [Ferrari 750 Monza].

Until the summer of 1957 the Houston-based San Jacinto Region of the SCCA used Mansfield in Louisiana for its racing. Then Scholes Field, Galveston's Municipal Airport became available and 100 entries joined the first Gran Carrera Lafitte there in July.

Big Jim Hall did best with a 3rd overall in the prelim, with Stonedale finishing 4th overall in the feature. Schroeder retired and Ray Jones won both races with the A.D. Logan 857 Monza.

Vince: You have nailed it again. This doesn't surprise me. You always come up with the most logical solutions

Clipping: Bob Schroeder Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 July 2010 - 02:08.

#36 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 23:39

The following comes from Frank Lance:

Some of those pictures are really interesting to me as I knew some of the people in the background so to speak.
In post #28 the 50 MG of Bob Gilbert. When I was in the Navy my mother sent me a clipping from the McAllen Monitor of him and some Air Force officer going to sports car races at Bergstrom Air Force Base. He was to drive that car at the event. I could not find the clipping to send you. I don't remember if I told you I bought my first car from him. It was an MG TF 1250 and drove to California to complete my navy tour. He and I rode motorcycles together as he was also an Indian and BSA dealer.
Hop the Cop in post 27 was in interesting guy. He did some officiating at SCCA races back then. I have ridden around Houston with him in his cop car as he would cruise the streets. He later went on to be in the FBI as I understood at the time. One time I was at a party at Anette's [Future wife of Bob Stonedale] apartment and we wanted something to drink. It was on a Sunday and you could not buy liquor in Texas on Sunday so Hop the Cop went somewhere and came back with an arm load of bottles.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 December 2011 - 07:38.

#37 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:29

Posted Image
Early in January 1958 Bob Schroeder moved from Houston to Dallas to work for Carroll Shelby Sports Cars Inc, a dealership financed by Dick Hall. For whatever reason, Schroeder and Young Jim Hall were visiting the shop of Burney Russell, chief mechanic for Roy Cherryhomes and Dick McGuire, just before the Frostbite Races.

In this publicity photo Jim Hall sits in Dick McGuire's 750 Monza, Burney Russell in Roy Cherryhomes A6GCS and Bob Schroeder in what is called Hall's Lotus 11. Only the Monza took part in the Frostbite Races at Eagle Mountain a few days later and it is doubtful that this Lotus 11 actually belonged to Hall. Hall's 1.5-liter Lotus 11 featured a different body style.

Clipping: R. David Jones

Vince: The car in post#29 isn't a Kurtis 500M, only the body is. It is a combination of a Kurtis 500X chassis with 500M body installed by Bob Schroeder and Dale Burt.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 09 July 2010 - 01:47.

#38 gkp

gkp

• 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 17:40

I ran into your discussion (and this forum) quite by mistake. I was searching for info on where Bob Schroeder finished in 1962 at the Watkins Glen USGP. My father took me to that race and, because a friend of my father's was associated with John Mecom, I got to meet Bob. I'm pretty sure I have a few color photos of him and the blue metallic Lotus. If you'd like me to scan them and send them to you, contact me by email.

#39 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:59

Posted Image
No headrest? Got to be Pig Pen!
Bob Schroeder takes the Monza/Chevy, chassis 0502, to 4th overall and CM! at Mansfield at the end of August 1958.

No question about the paint job on this Ferrari: a mat primer coat. Chassis 0502 was exchanged for a Greyhound bus in the summer of 1958. CSSCI offered the bus, Big Jim Hall offered the Monza, in which Tony Foyt had dropped a Chevy V8 for Big Jim. At CSSCI the Monza/Chevy was named Pig Pen after the cartoon character.

GKP: I have sent you a message about posting your Lotus pictures.

Photo: Bob Jackson photo
Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 December 2011 - 07:45.

Advertisement

#40 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 15:57

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder working on the fuel tank of his Kurtis/Buick.

Photo: Bob Jackson
Willem Oosthoek Collection

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 20:52

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder and John Mecom at Watkins Glen in 1962
Color picture taken by Elmer Peters

photo: Elmer Peters
Glenn Peters collection
copyright 2010 Glenn Peters

Edited by Jerry Entin, 11 July 2010 - 11:22.

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 21:35

Posted Image
In 1957 Bob Schroeder's third foray into Mexico was a 1000-mile International Rally, in his case starting in Torreon. The finish was in Acapulco. Bob and co-pilot Jim Binford drove a Corvette sponsored by CSSCI, with all their franchises listed on the car, from Maserati to Rolls-Royce.

Manuel Castello and his daughter Teresa were local society figures. Schroeder and Binford loaded up on water for the event. By the last leg, from Mexico City to Acapulco, all the water was used and only a bottle of Cognac remained. After the finish they collapsed in their hotel, without winning any of the $24,000 in prize money.

Clipping: Bob Schroeder Collection
scanned for site Laurie Williamson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 10 July 2010 - 21:38.

#43 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 00:06

Here are two images I have on Bob:

Posted Image
1955 Lawrenceville

Posted Image

#44 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:00

I suspect that this is not the same Bob Schroeder. The main focus of this thread is the Bob Schroeder who drove in the Southwest in the late fifties and early sixties, not only in his own cars, but also for the Halls and for Mecom. I think that this Bob Schroeder is the one who drove in the upper midwest during the same period. As explained early in this thread, there were multiple Bob Schroeders. See posts number 2 and 3; this is the Illinois Schroeder, not the one who drove in the USGP for Mecom in 1962.
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 11 July 2010 - 01:04.

#45 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:30

Here are two images I have on Bob:

Posted Image
1955 Lawrenceville

Posted Image

Cool pix :-)

Thanks for sharing :-)

#46 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:49

In the case of the 1955 Lawrenceville photo Tom Schultz is right. It is J. Bob.

The Bob Schroeder of this thread however, submitted the Mansfield article from the SCCA magazine. Very well written with great photos to match.

Thank you Etcenterini for posting his article.

Bob Schroeder, was an official of the organizing San Jacinto Region of the SCCA.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 11 July 2010 - 11:56.

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:32

Posted Image
From the right: famous photographer and Pulitzer prize winner Bob Jackson, Gene Spaulding, Debby Jackson and Carolyn Lance at Dunston's Steakhouse on June 18, 2010.

The report shows Gene Spaulding's Lotus 9. Gene is a regular visitor at the Dallas lunches with Bob Schroeder and Delmo Johnson and their buddies.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 11 July 2010 - 17:02.

#48 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 17:05

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder in Dick Hall's Tipo 61 Maserati, chassis 2458, at Hondo, Texas, in April 1961. He won the prelim and finished 3rd in the feature after leading the opening laps.

After sporadic rides in Jim Hall's Lister/Chevy and Ebb Rose's Maserati 300S in 1959, Schroeder became Dick Hall's driver in the summer of 1960. Dick Hall took over the Birdcage from brother Jim, who received a newer model. Schroeder raced it till the end of 1961.

Photo: Bob Jackson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 12 July 2010 - 01:19.

#49 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 00:10

Posted Image
The epic battle during the 1961 June Sprints at Road America, where three front-engined Birdcages slugged it out. Bob Schroeder drove the oldest of the three [chassis 2458 #76], Roger Penske the latest one [chassis 2471], with Jim Hall in chassis 2463 #65.

Based on the official timing charts, Penske led 15 laps, Hall nine and Schroeder one, but the actual lead changes around the track were far more numerous. The dogfight lasted the entire 100 miles, with Penske crossing the finish inches ahead of Hall, with Schroeder a second behind them. The June Sprints also marked the end of the dominance of the front-engined Birdcages.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 13 July 2010 - 00:17.

#50 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 00:23

Posted Image
Bob Schroeder did all the maintenance himself on Dick Hall's Birdcage. As he said: "You race it, you fix it!"

From the 1961 June Sprints on the aging Maserati became increasingly unreliable. After engine problems in practice Schroeder did not make the starts at Galveston in July and Riverside in October. The combination retired at Muskogee in late October and ran their last race at Nassau in December 1961.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 13 July 2010 - 00:40.