Photo

Aston Martin DB4GT 230 AYE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 18:16

Over dinner last night with renowned golf journalist and owner/operator of Golf International Magazine, Robert Green, I reminded him of the times I used to ride shotgun in to him as we buzzed the locals in his dad's Aston Martin DB4GT, reg: 230 AYE when he was 17, and myself 16!
Robert told me that it had infact been the spare works car at Le Mans, and had been owned by Hamish Longden, who had painted it midnight blue from metallic red. He further informed me that Hamish and Robert's father, Peter Green had been close friends at University, and had both been instrumental in the construction and technology of Jodrell Bank radio telescope. Amazingly, when Hamish upgraded to a DB5 in the late 1960's he actually GAVE the car to Peter!!! Considering it's potential worth of probably well over a million pounds today, that was quite some gift!!!
Peter's widow, Robert's mother has apparently been approached by someone researching the car recently, but she and Robert have no idea where it is these days, although there was a suspicion it is somewhere in the West Country. Can anyone on the forum shed anymore light on the car's history, and any current updates?

Edited by Giraffe, 20 May 2013 - 10:32.

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:22

DVLA say it has been taxed recently and it is now Green :wave:

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:57

My membership of AMOC ceased some years ago, but the last owners' list I have records it as being chassis no. DB4GT/0102/GT. It seems to be one of the very few DB4GTs that doesn't have any competition connection recorded, and was listed as being resident in the south-east at the time. Might even be worth joining AMOC to gain access to the information.

PS I'm sure I'm right in saying that Aston Martin never entered a 'works' DB4GT at Le Mans - in fact I can only find a record of one DB4GT (other than the various Zagatos, none of which were works entries) ever starting Le Mans, in 1959, a private entry for Patthey/Calderari

Edited by Alan Cox, 20 May 2013 - 18:41.

#4 geoffd

geoffd

• 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:45

From last year's register, it does seem to be still in the south east, but with a different registration number.

Geoff

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:05

Over dinner last night with renowned golf journalist and owner/operator of Golf International Magazine, Robert Green, I reminded him of the times I used to ride shotgun in to him as we buzzed the locals in his dad's Aston Martin DB4GT, reg: 230 AYE when he was 17, and myself 16!
Robert told me that it had infact been the spare works car at Le Mans, and had been owned by Hamish Longden, who had painted it midnight blue from metallic red. He further informed me that Hamish and Robert's father, Peter Green had been close friends at University, and had both been instrumental in the construction and technology of Jodrell Bank radio telescope. Amazingly, when Hamish upgraded to a DB5 in the late 1960's he actually GAVE the car to Peter!!! Considering it's potential worth of probably well over a million pounds today, that was quite some gift!!!
Peter's widow, Robert's mother has apparently been approached by someone researching the car recently, but she and Robert have no idea where it is these days, although there was a suspicion it is somewhere in the West Country. Can anyone on the forum shed anymore light on the car's history, and any current updates?

Now I know what happened to it...... :eek:

http://www.bonhams.c...s/20934/lot/14/

....as a postscript to this, I forwarded the link to my old friend Robert who is currently in Grenada, and his response was......

"Thanks for that, Tony. I may choose not to mention it to my mother!"

Edited by Giraffe, 03 December 2013 - 17:55.