Photo

Goodwood Festival of Speed 2009

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 23:54

After many years, schedules and such have aligned for me to make my first visit to the Goodwood FOS in July. As many TNF'ers are regulars at the Goodwood events, I would like to solicit your advice and recommendations on making this a memorable event for me.

I have selected the FOS as this works for me from a scheduling perspective, and I have convinced my long-standing significant other to join me and I believe that she will enjoy the FOS more than the Revival. (I will certainly do the Revival next.)

I have booked accomodations in Hampshire at the Four Seasons as Goodwood House is unavailable, and I have registered for the GRRC but it seems that membership is substantively booked and will not be possible.

Your thoughts on how this Yank can better enjoy the three days of the FOS will be appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 147 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:09

Dennis,
I think you are a bit confused, Goodwood has two events, FOS (Festival Of Speed) in July and the Revival in September. The FOS being the "hillclimb" past Goodwood House and the Revival the circuit racing!! Enjoy whichever one you attend (FOS if your'e going in July!) as both are fantastic!!!
Jeff Weinbren.

#3 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:32

Dennis
The Goodwood Festival of Speed is a fabulous event with cars and people that you never dreamed of seeing close up. To enjoy it fully take plenty of waterproof clothing and a good pair of boots. There are two paddock areas, and if your significant other is not crazy about cars and bikes, there are lots of seating areas where she can enjoy a glass of champagne and watch the people and the cars while you take your time in the paddock area. Everyone is friendly and drivers and mechanics love talking about their machines.
There's always an amazing display in front of the house, and a bit further along you'll find the Cartier Style et Luxe display of incredible exotica, usually with a theme, last year it was James Bond.
I think the best places to watch the action are the start line and Moulcombe Corner, and there are stands all the way up the hill for which you can book tickets. Also if you walk all the way up to the top you've got the Rally Stage where historic Rally Cars and drivers do their stuff, can get a bit muddy. Right at the top there's the finish enclosure where cars gather before returning down the hill and often drivers will chat to the spectators up there.
Finally there will be some amazing air displays, one year an SAA 747 did low level aerobatics and last year an Airbus A380 spent ten or so minutes over the Festival, one of its flypasts was at 98 knots with all wheels and flaps dangling, unbelievable.
Oh and don't forget to buy a programme because in addition to it being a collector's item you get a little radio to stick in your ear to pick up Radio Goodwood, for commentary, music, interviews and general chat.
If the weather's fine that's an added bonus but in any case it's a glorious event. See you there.
Chris

#4 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:59

I am also planning such a trip but to the 'Revival'. I am keen to know what access I would have to the cars in the paddock area at the Revival. It would be such a disappointment to travel from the Antipodes and not be able to get up close, as well as watch the racing.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:43

At the Revival the paddock is in two parts - one for the real exotica and one for the slightly more mundane. Access to the "exotica" paddock is by special pass and you must be appropriately dressed (1950's jacket & tie sort of thing) while anybody can access the other part. Even if not in the "holy of holies" it is still possible to look over the fence. A young antipodean acquaintance told me it is possible to step or jump over the fence, but that was a few years ago.

#6 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:48

Wirra
to get right into the paddock you need to be a member of the GRRC(Goodwood Road Racing Club) and wear a jacket and tie! Otherwise you can lean over the fence which gets you pretty much within touching distance of all the cars and chatting distance from the team.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:38

Originally posted by cdrewett
If the weather's fine that's an added bonus ...

Well, at least this year the FoS doesn't coincide with the Glastonbury Festival, so there may be a chance of decent weather.

Dennis, I recommend that for (at least) one of the days you forget about watching the cars go up the hill, but instead check out the cars in the paddocks, chat to people and generally absorb the atmosphere. You will need to pay at least two visits to each of the two main paddocks, as if you only go once you will not get to see the batch of cars out on the hill at the time. And most importantly, don't forget your TNF badge - there are usually TNF gatherings at around lunchtime on each of the three days, and it would be good to meet you.

#8 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:13

My thanks to all for the information, and I look forward to meeting all TNF members also in attendance. One brief question, what is a "Roving Grandstand" ticket?

#9 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:05

Dennis, I don't think we have actually established which event your are going to attend! As for the "Roving" grandstand ticket this has been the subject of discussion in the GRRC. A good idea in principle, I, for one, foresee aggro if somebody "Roves" into a fixed payment seat and its rightful owner reappears!!

#10 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 15:05

I (we) will be attending the Festival of Speed on July 3-5, 2009.

With regard to the roving grandstand ticket and what it is, the only ticket options on the Goodwood site available to non-GRRC types are "General Admission" and "Roving Grandstand". My question is what comes with the premium of the Roving Grandstand above General Admission.

Purchasing a reserved grandstand seat does not appear to be an available option, which would be my preference.

#11 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 15:28

Wirra
to get right into the paddock you need to be a member of the GRRC(Goodwood Road Racing Club) and wear a jacket and tie! Otherwise you can lean over the fence which gets you pretty much within touching distance of all the cars and chatting distance from the team.

Yes and no - you don't actually have to be a GRRC member, you just need a paddock pass. Only GRRC members can apply for a paddock pass, so why they don't just check the GRRC badges I don't know, it's all a bit peculiar.
Anyhow, point being that you stand a much better chance of blagging a padock pass from a member than getting them to part with their members badge, but a tie is essential, they'll let you off without a jacket if it's warm! :)

#12 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 15:41

If finances allowing it, I would like to attend the 2009 Revival but there seems for be a waiting list for the GRRC membership:
http://www.goodwood....rc/Welcome.aspx
Would it be too vulgar asking about how much is the membership fee?:)

#13 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 16:45

Originally posted by Garagiste

Yes and no - you don't actually have to be a GRRC member, you just need a paddock pass. Only GRRC members can apply for a paddock pass, so why they don't just check the GRRC badges I don't know, it's all a bit peculiar.

You can also have a paddock pass by being a member of the press, a press guest, a guest of the sponsors or Goodwood itself, a competing car owner or mechanic. Therefore far easier for the staff on the gate to check for driver/mechanic armbands or the small cardboard paddock badges.

#14 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 17:03

Ah, that makes sense - I still don't get why you have to tick the box requesting passes when you order the tickets though. I can't imagine members not wanting one, and I'd be gutted if I forgot to do it!

#15 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 17:09

A good place to see the cars close up without the centre paddock pass is at the entrance to the assembly area at the revival. All competing vehicles have to come down that narrow road and there is often a queue as the cars come to a halt and are backed up. Lots of photo opportunities there and over the low fence at the side of the assembly area.

#16 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 17:34

Originally posted by Pils1989
[Would it be too vulgar asking about how much is the membership fee?:) [/B]

Yes :D

#17 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 18:12

Originally posted by Pils1989
Would it be too vulgar asking about how much is the membership fee?:)

GBP 140.

#18 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 18:46

Originally posted by Adam F

GBP 140.

Thank you :up:

#19 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 20:19

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

You can also have a paddock pass by being a member of the press, a press guest, a guest of the sponsors or Goodwood itself, a competing car owner or mechanic. Therefore far easier for the staff on the gate to check for driver/mechanic armbands or the small cardboard paddock badges.

Some years it has been possible to hop over the barrier very easily. It helps if you are female and have a short skirt on. :D Last year, they were much more zealous with the checking.

There are no such closed-off areas at the Festival, which is more fun from a close-up observation point of view. The Revival is better if you want on-track action. I like both.

At the Festival, don't forget the rally stage - it is right at the top of the hill, but there is a tractor-trailer shuttle that goes up and down regularly. The stage is quite shady and a nice place to be if it is extremely hot or a bit rainy.

Advertisement

#20 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 20:41

quote:Originally posted by Adam F GBP 140.

Err, it's actually 160GBP Also the subject of much discussion in the GRRC!! :

#21 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 20:53

Originally posted by Sebastian Tombs

Err, it's actually 160GBP Also the subject of much discussion in the GRRC!! :

Apologies - I can't read my own bank statement. They actually charged me £157...

#22 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 21:04

You're right, Dennis regarding FoS grandstands. Looks like first come, first served, and no leaving your towel on the chair!! Have a great time, anyway :wave:

#23 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 23:30

Thanks for the insight and tips. I must admit to being slightly disappointed with the inability to obtain paddock passes and such. While I certainly understand the premium benefits that are correctly available to only GRRC members, those of us who do not live in the UK invest a sizable amount of coin to attend the FOS/Revival (total for me will be in excess of $5,000US) therefore this is not an annual event for we Yanks and others. It would seem that there could be some method (for which I will gladly pay) of allowing non-Europeans access beyond the standard in order to obtain maximum enjoyment from the event and required investment.

Regardless, I fully intend to enjoy every moment.

#24 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 00:12

Well we usually meet up at Ted's stand at one-ish....no need to go overboard Dennis :D

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 00:17

Dennis, you do not - repeat NOT - need to obtain a paddock pass at the FoS. The paddocks are open to all. Given your interests, the Cathedral Paddock will be far more to your taste - that's where all the pre-war cars tend to be stabled. It also has the advantage of usually being markedly less crowded than the main paddock.

If at all possible, get there on Friday - early - and stay late. It's usually quieter (Sunday can be hell!) and the competitors are still arriving. You'll also have the pick of the best stuff on the bookstalls.

And if the significant other can't face three days of the FoS, drop her off at Southampton Central station on your way to Goodwood - direct trains to the historic cathedral cities of Winchester and Salisbury ;)

#26 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:58

Sorry to be thick Tim but what is a TNF badge?
Chris

#27 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:09

Chris

It's a badge with similar logo to what can be found on this thread
http://forums.autosp...threadid=106797

#28 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:55

Chris

As Condor says, Chris, it's a badge featuring the TNF logo, worn with pride by many TNFers all round the world. TNFer Barry Boor single-handedly got the badge project off the ground in 2003 and after many tribulations got them into production. He will send you one if you cross his palm with a very small amount of silver - drop him a PM or email if you're interested. Full story about the badges in this thread. This is what they look like:

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Posted Image

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:04

Tim, that picture looks like one of the original 'lesser' badges, of which there were but 4.

I still have plenty, if anyone else requires one.

#30 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:20

The main theme at this years's FoS seems to be Feats of Endurance. Given that such descriptions can be stretched to encompass whatever the powers-that-be wish........

perhaps we might see the 1966 McLaren M2 from the Donington Collection that Bruce had to endure - and if Chris Amon is coming this year, now that he has pretty much retired from farming, maybe he could finally drive it!

and it's the 60th anniversary of BRM this year - how about an H16 of the type JYS had to endure for nearly two years? It's not a proper FoS without a 16-cylinder BRM of one tyoe or the other.....

Paul M (badge 25)

#31 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:13

Some tips on the Revival:
As already discussed, access to the "Posh" Paddock is heavily restricted. Your best bet is to make friends with prospective competitors on here, quickly! Armbands also get you into the pits, pit roof and Assembly Area (if you are assisting your new best chum) - all very valuable. Whilst the gatekeepers are hot on checking up, armbands can be loaned to friends who can be trusted to bring them back promptly.
Do dress up if you are going into the infield Paddocks. You'll feel more at home, and get a better reception from competitors. A token effort - proper shoes and a nice blazer & tie - is better than nothing, and avoids you breaking the bank for just three days of fancy dress.
Friday is a good day to walk the circuit, when it's relatively quiet. Views and photography are excellent, particularly out back. Pack some good boots, and walk the "wrong way" so you are always looking at approaching cars. It can be done in an hour but allow two or three.
If you do three days (and you aren't in a team) get a grandstand seat for at least one of Saturday or Sunday. The rest, and guarantee of a decent view for one day is worth it.

#32 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 15:34

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Dennis, you do not - repeat NOT - need to obtain a paddock pass at the FoS. The paddocks are open to all. Given your interests, the Cathedral Paddock will be far more to your taste - that's where all the pre-war cars tend to be stabled. It also has the advantage of usually being markedly less crowded than the main paddock.

If at all possible, get there on Friday - early - and stay late. It's usually quieter (Sunday can be hell!) and the competitors are still arriving. You'll also have the pick of the best stuff on the bookstalls.

I second all of this, especially getting to the site early on all days. If you get there before eight, it gives you time for some breakfast or coffee and a leisurely stroll round at least one paddock before the action begins.

#33 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:35

I would just like to add that I think a grandstand seat is essential for those moments when you just want to relax and watch the cars, of course there are lots of places to sit and eat but not easy to see the action if you are standing. I assume the idea of a roaming ticket is only for certain grandstands but even so I would get one if I were going..... which I am not.
Dennis, if you need any help just ask, I am on site!
Loti

#34 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 19:15

Just to let you know that there is some efficiency left in the world, Wirra originally requested info from me about badges at 10.16 this morning and by 2.30 this afternoon the badge (# 185). was paid for and in the post to Australia.

#35 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 22:38

I guess the inevitable next step for discussion is "Which is the best day?". I've been on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and found Friday to be marginally less crowded. I hate crowds so haven't been for a couple of years. When I do go, I go by motorbike, bugger all that queueing lark, get there early and leave when my feet can't stand it any longer.

#36 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:12

Many thanks to each of you for the very kind advice, and I look forward to meeting each of you in July. My apologies in advance for asking so many questions, but another.

Your points are well taken about arriving early. As I will be staying quite near Farnham, what would be the appx. drive time on each day in order to arrive at the Festival site by 08:00-08:30? I assume that the traffic into the estate grows each day.

Yes, I am purchasing the Roving Grandstand tickets as this is better than the available alternative. And yes Barry, my TNF badge will be worn with pride. It will at last meet the other #37 badge of Ted's. Surely this is the only badge number that has a duplicate! I had also overlooked the extra luggage and cash for the many books that I will certainly purchase while there. My FOS budget just increased....

#37 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:32

Er.... no Dennis, I cocked up not once but two times!

I managed to issue #152 to both Rob Miller and Frank Verplanken. :blush:

#38 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:04

http://www.theaa.com....jsp?database=B

Dennis

The AA Route Planner webite is an invaluable tool to use over here. In case my link didn't work, Farnham to Goodwood is due south, 28.5 miles and 1hr 3min according to the site. Bearing in mind that the whole World and their kids will also be going to Goodwood that weekend, a 6am start for you wouldn't be unreasonable.

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:05

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury

Your points are well taken about arriving early. As I will be staying quite near Farnham, what would be the appx. drive time on each day in order to arrive at the Festival site by 08:00-08:30? I assume that the traffic into the estate grows each day.

Travelling that early, probably about an hour to an hour and a quarter. The shorter route - down the A287 via Frensham, Hindhead, Midhurst and Singleton - would be the more pleasant drive, although theoretically slower than taking the A3 - M27 - A27 option. Having said that, if you take the latter, you'll get tied up in commuter traffic heading for Southampton and Portsmouth, so the "pretty way" would probably be faster!

Advertisement

#40 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:28

Sorry, I don't agree. The senic route [Haslemere, Midhurst etc] is always slow first thing, especially on the Friday whereas the main road has the one bottle neck at Hindhead and then it is pretty much plain sailing. The traffic only gets bad on the Chichester bypass but as you say, the earlier the better.
Not being nosey or anything but that's a long way away to stay!
Loti

#41 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:09

It's quite a long way, but I was quoted £120 per night by a local B&B, so stay 35 miles away in a really nice place for £32.
Chris

#42 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 16:45

Thanks for the travel time advice. I looked at many hotels in the area, and most of the better ones were fully booked. Given that I will have my fiance with me on this trip, I required accomodations on the better end of the scale and the Four Seasons in Hampshire fits the bill. It appeared to be around 30 miles from Goodwood according to my Ordinance Survey atlas, and by my standards here in Texas, 30 miles is a short trip.

#43 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 18:38

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Er.... no Dennis, I cocked up not once but two times!

I managed to issue #152 to both Rob Miller and Frank Verplanken. :blush:

(...and me too!)

Vince H. :rolleyes:

#44 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 19:39

Dennis
Sussex is nothing like Texas. Wide open spaces, deserted roads, the wind in your hair, oil derecks. No, think of the outskirts of New York. We are a tightly packed island and progress can be slow. But I agree, you are a bit far out. Can you not find a B&B closer?
PS In the UK 'accommodation' is not pluralised, a bit like 'sheep';)

#45 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 20:49

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
In the UK 'accommodation' is not pluralised

It can be, in some circumstances :)

#46 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 20:54

It surprised me just how long it took to get from Kent to Goodwood on F.O.S. day, the journey usually passes very quickly, when driven during my working week, with no traffic around, but as other posters have said, beware of the traffic. Personally, I have always enjoyed the Haslemere, Midhurst route, lovely countryside :up:

#47 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:05

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
Dennis
Sussex is nothing like Texas. Wide open spaces, deserted roads, the wind in your hair, oil derecks. .......PS In the UK 'accommodation' is not pluralised, a bit like 'sheep';)

If only that were true here in Houston with a population of in excess of 4 million souls. We give traffic a whole new meaning.

Syntax correction noted. This reminds me of the old saying regarding "two countries seperated by a common language". PS - It is also 'sheep' on this side of the pond also.

No problem regarding the accomodation (!). The drive down to the FOS is not a huge concern, I was just asking how long the drive would be in order to set my alarm.

I will surely have to stop by the grave of Mike Hawthorn and pay my respects while there as well. I visited very briefly two years ago, but there were something in the region of 60+ mph winds with rain and far too cold on that January day to stay but for a moment.

#48 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 19:58

When is the list of invited cars announced?

#49 drmarkf

drmarkf

• 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:25

This is a really useful thread. Here are a few ideas on accommodation:

For the past few years at the FoS I've stayed in the student accommodation halls at Chichester University. It's run via their conference/B&B office, and you can download details here:

http://www.chiuni.ac...rence/index.cfm

The rooms are basic but cheap (I paid £92 for 3 nights B&B when I booked in early February this year - they were almost full then) and perfectly satisfactory, especially when you factor in the extra lie-in you'll be able to have in comparison with staying in a smart pub or hotel 25 miles away. They are only about 3 miles south of the Goodwood estate, and it's possible to approach the carparks via minor roads, only joining the main queue a couple of hundred yards away.

[I probably shouldn't have told you all this, since they're getting fuller earlier every year, but whatever!]

Given a free choice, I'd really like to stay here, as my daughter and I did some years ago. It's a 'real' pub set in the countryside, and during the Festival you can spend a fun evening photographing the fantastic cars in the carpark and chatting to their owners at the bar.
Needless to say they book up years in advance: http://members.tripo...aginn/index.htm

#50 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:42

An excellent idea, Mark, but sadly, I gather that the timing of both Goodwood events this year prevents it from being an option.

Such a shame as it is a really good deal and within walking distance of Chichester centre as well as being a short hop to the circuit.