Photo

Forgotten New Zealand racing drivers

• Please log in to reply
593 replies to this topic

#51 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,606 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:22

I had a deal with Roger to buy that car for 4600 in 1973 but I backed out of it.

Doh... :

GMC truck motor

Advertisement

#52 Ron B.

Ron B.

• 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:54

Originally posted by Vicuna
I had a deal with Roger to buy that car for 4600 in 1973 but I backed out of it.

Doh... :

GMC truck motor

Passed up plenty of what seen like bargains now,Including a mustang Coupe which was an original Shelby car,cut up with a Ford truck front axle for drag racing. $1800 could have got me a rolling car.... :|
Thats a 37 Coupe BTW.

The GMC has a huge following with new Wayne Heads etc available for them. I nearly bought a 52 Chev in Hamilton with a 302 Jimmy in 1971 but my father put his foot down,which is what I had intended to do.. :rotfl:
Anybody got any pictures of the two coupes that used to race on the dirt track at MereMere ?

#53 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:49

Originally posted by Ron B.

Passed up plenty of what seen like bargains now,Including a mustang Coupe which was an original Shelby car,cut up with a Ford truck front axle for drag racing. $1800 could have got me a rolling car.... :|
Thats a 37 Coupe BTW.

The GMC has a huge following with new Wayne Heads etc available for them. I nearly bought a 52 Chev in Hamilton with a 302 Jimmy in 1971 but my father put his foot down,which is what I had intended to do.. :rotfl:
Anybody got any pictures of the two coupes that used to race on the dirt track at MereMere ?

Not the cars you are interested in but it is of two coupes. The print is dated Novemeber 1966 but I don't know where it was taken as the photo was among a heap of photos given to me.

Posted Image

#54 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:52

Wiri ?

#55 Tim Nevinson

Tim Nevinson

• 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 17:17

Thanks for your kind comments Sterl and GD!
Eurocardoc: What can you tell us about Cavan Riley? I uncovered some UK race results with Cavan in them (I think he was running a very early March, although my memory might be failing me.... anyway by the time I spotted he was a NZer it was too late to include him in my book..I think he got a third at Thruxton or some such.
Others that should have gone in using my criteria were Bill Stone and Roly Levis, although a book about Kiwis behind the pitwall would be a better place to profie Bill Stone.

#56 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 22:08

Tim what about Dick Campbell

#57 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 22:43

"Snow" Brogan [ hope the spelling is correct ]
Can anyone tell what happened to him. He raced a few meetings at the Nelson beach races in a Ford V8 powered car with a Model A roadster body The last time I saw him was at the opening meeting at Levels Raceway 1968 In the Practice he was driving down the main straight in a Cooper Climax [ Can't remember if it was a F1 or F2 but it was painted red - long time and a lot of races ago ] He flipped for some reason and the next thing his car was over a fence and lying upside down on top of a ditch that ran alongside the straight in a farmers field. There was no body to be seen. I stopped, jumped out and ever the fence to find Snow lying on his back in the ditch [ which was dry ] under the car, unconscious and fuel pouring all over him. I dragged him along the ditch clear of the car and fuel and waited with him until Fire and Ambulance arrived. Then I got back in my car and drove back to the Pits as the Practice had been red flagged. I have never seen him since and always wondered how he got on. I understand he was from Dunedin

#58 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:24

I know he was in hospital for a long time, but nothing else
The car, a T51 Cooper-Climax, survived

#59 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:13

David as I remember there was not a lot of damage to the car, it became airborne, flipped in the air and landed upside down on its wheels over the ditch. Who has the car now? Like I said it was along time ago

Advertisement

#60 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:45

I think the ex Snow Brogan Cooper Climax T51 is now by the Drinkrows in Auckland. I think it was the ex Jack Brabham car that won the 1960 NZGP.

#61 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:23

I wondered if the Drinkrow brothers still had it - their names didn't seem to be on a list of historic-car owners I was recently sent :)

It was definitely an ex-works team F1 car, but whether or not it was Brabham's 1960 NZGP car I'm not sure

#62 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 635 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:27

Re : Milan Fistonic's picture of 2 V8 Coupes racing somewhere -

I can't think of anywhere near Wiri where it could have been, but the "moonscape" terrain and the hills in the background put me in mind of a drag meeting I went to in 1968 or 1969, probably, at the open-cast coal mine at Kopuku, near Maramarua.

I probably took some photos there, but heaven knows where they are now. However, I did find some old colour slides of beach racing at Muriwai from 1963/4 of Bill Thomasen and Johnny Riley in their respective Cooper Climax and Monza Ferrari(-Corvette - judging by the bonnet bulges).

As to forgotten drivers, what about Dauntsey Teagle who raced the front-engined Lola in the '60s and other stuff later that I would have to look up . Was he related to Vice-Admiral Sir Somerford Teagle, a former NZ Chief of Defence? (Somerford and Dauntsey are villages a few miles apart in Wiltshire!)
And does anyone remember that All Black Sid Going drove in one of the Pukekohe 6 hour races?

#63 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:38

Riley's Monza Ferrari did indeed have a Corvette engine, but the bonnet-bulges had been there from new

Dauntsey Teagle started with an MG TF then a Healey Sprite before racing the Lola briefly, then made a comeback with a Merlyn when FF arrived in NZ a few years later. Maybe something else after that
I'm pretty sure he was of the Teagle Smith (instruments) family, though whether Sir Somerford was a connection I don't know

#64 Tim Nevinson

Tim Nevinson

• 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 22:18

I don't have any of my notes with me in the UK, but I think it was Dick Campbell (of Christchurch) who gave me lots of info regarding Bert Hawthorne, particularly with reference to a really trick 1.5 motor that Campbell built a cylinder head for surplus down draught carbies (which Hawthorne had obtained from the previous year's Brabham Honda F2 racing programme). He was certainly a very clever guy but not prone to blowing his own trumpet, so I didn't get any impression that he had raced himself succesfully.
As for Dauntsey, he is a good freind of mine, so good that I can't recall him ever mentioning having a famous family other than it wasn't do with Teagle chickens! He raced for Honda NZ in Touring cars, also a very quick Caterham/Fraser and he and his son Simon had a Ralt Formula Atlantic car which was sold about three years ago.
Dauntsey was a partner in AMG Cars on Auckland's Green Lane until very recently.
Ref Wiri track wasn't there an oval or stock car track very close to the farm where Ross Jensen was brought up?

#65 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 22:24

I think the bloke who built Hawthorne's special cylinder-head was Don Campbell :)

#66 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 22:28

From recollections of discussions with my Father regarding 'Aranui Speedway' (Christchurch) I believe that Dick (Dickie!!) Campbell was at one time the 'Promotor of the Speedway and/or was tied up with the Midget /TQ racing at Aranui..........................regards427

#67 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 274 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 23:34

Dauntsey and Somerford are brothers. A third brother had an equally standard front name..

Not only do the Drinkrows still have the Cooper, it is displayed ,with some of their other collectables, at the Marina they developed. It is in works livery with three signitures in gold pen - JAB, SCM & CAA.

As a matter of interest - I have somewhere a photo of the wife of the last mentioned piloting the car - this would have been January 2005. Tish Amon told me that her daughter Georgie had always wanted to have one her fathers old racing cars present 'if she ever got married'.

Georgie had perhaps long forgotten mentioning this but Tish hadn't and I was enlisted to 'assist'. The 250F was likely to be a problem and there are no Ferraris here from the 1967-69 period. So the Cooper was a most welcome addition to the wedding party and the photo is 'the day after' with Chris and I pushing it onto it's trailer with Tish steering and Eoin Young directing proceedings!

A framed copy of the photo stands in the Amon dining room which Chris refers to as "Tish's F1 debut".

#68 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:58

With the Drinkrows it is now just Allan - Bruce unfortunately died around 1997.

#69 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 13:14

More 'Corvette' powered Hero's/drivers ,Arther Kennard's Austin Healey/'corvette',Teal Blue and Black,louvered bonnet and side pipes.....Niel Doyel's "Monster" Anglia/'Corvette',front wheels at a 45% angle,Dark Green,chopped top with the 'Breadvan' roofline,it took a lot of 'Brave' to go fast in this 'Weapon' especially on the 'Hill Climb tracks......was it Rod coppins that rolled the 'Tecmhec' ,'Corvette' ,Maserati single seater at the Lady Wigram Trophy Race In Blinding Rain,upside down in a drianage ditch a long the edge of the back straight.........'There is room for 'Help' here......................regards427

#70 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 14:15

Originally posted by thunder427
was it Rod coppins that rolled the 'Tecmhec' ,'Corvette' ,Maserati single seater at the Lady Wigram Trophy Race In Blinding Rain,upside down in a drianage ditch a long the edge of the back straight

Two different incidents, 427
Johnny Mansel was the vicitim of the Wigram ditch
But Coppins did roll the car at Pukekohe two years later, and thereafter raced only saloons

#71 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 16:13

Your right Dave, it was DON Campbell WRT the quick engine for Bert Hawthornes car

#72 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 16:39

So, now Tim Nevinson's got you doing his dirty work, Huw? :lol:

#73 Duncan Fox

Duncan Fox

• 186 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:58

Any one mentioned Johnny Windleburn? Hi Tim

#74 Terry Marshall

Terry Marshall

• 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:39

427. There is a photograph of the Doyle Anglia Corvette in my book, The Motor Sport Photography of Terry Marshall, published by HarperCollins. Quite a weapon in its day. The Fahey and Simpson Fast Back Anglias also get an airing.

#75 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:25

Maybe we could expand this into a combination of forgotten NZ race cars and drivers.

Here's a starter - what car and what driver :

Posted Image

#76 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:43

That's not Pukekohe is it?

Originally posted by hatrat
Here's a starter - what car and what driver :

#77 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:07

Yes, its Pukekohe in the 1960s.

#78 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:04

Not a meeting I attended, so I don't have a programme to check against
But it looks like Robert Stewart's Robat Mantis (Lotus 7 replica) at the back, No.52 is the Kato (or maybe the Orchid), possibly Ross West's Austin-Healey, could be Feo Stanton in the Honda and conceivably David Oxton's Daimler

I won't spoil anyone else's fun by giving the identity of the No.50 car :)

#79 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:28

I think David is right with the other cars (probably the Kato rather than the Orchid). The Damiler Dart was in fact David Oxton (in a team with his father). Here is a better photo of David in the Dart at the same meeting:

Posted Image

As for car #50. Some clues: the meeting was at Pukekohe at Christmas 1965. It was the debut of the car which was built in Rotorua by a designer builder who constructed a few sports racing cars including an excellent replica of Le Mans sports car. Car #50 has a connection with David Oxton's car. The driver of #50 may be a little harder - he owned a large and successful bakery (which is a clue to the constructor's name!).

Advertisement

#80 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:23

50 Car
Heron Daimler - Ross Baker

#81 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:57

Great Peter - got it.
The driver was Ken Richardson (who I have not heard of before or since). Ross Baker built the car as part of a two car team for him and Ken Richardson (who owned Homestyle Bakeries). I think Ken debuted the car at Pukekohe. The second car was evidently not finished and the uncompleted parts ended up with Jamie Aislabie in the Sid Mk1. I think this may be correct as Peter Benbrook who now has the remains of Sid Mk1 was quite keen to see a photo of the Heron Damiler.

#82 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:32

Originally posted by hatrat
Great Peter - got it.
The driver was Ken Richardson (who I have not heard of before or since). Ross Baker built the car as part of a two car team for him and Ken Richardson (who owned Homestyle Bakeries). I think Ken debuted the car at Pukekohe. The second car was evidently not finished and the uncompleted parts ended up with Jamie Aislabie in the Sid Mk1. I think this may be correct as Peter Benbrook who now has the remains of Sid Mk1 was quite keen to see a photo of the Heron Damiler.

Yes it makes you wonder what would have happened if the Corvair engine had gone into that car back then,
I have some more photos of that car from my time working on it when Norris Miles drove it,I will try to put some more names to the other cars later
Bob

#83 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,606 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:42

It had never occured to me before but now I read about Jamie Aisablie buying the bits - Sid Mk1 has a certain resemblence to the Heron.

#84 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:39

Here's another. Make and model of car will be easy but the driver and the "pet" name the car was known by is a bit more difficult.

Posted Image

#85 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:22

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hatrat
[B]Great Peter - got it.
The driver was Ken Richardson (who I have not heard of before or since)
Ken Richardson raced a Anglia before the Heron,it actually was in the background of one of the shots of Pukekohe in one of the other threads on here recently.I lost contact with Ken after the Heron days but I think he might have a ran a speedway dirt track saloon car for a while.The Anglia he raced was brought and raced by Barry Phillips prior to the Lotus Cortina.Ken was one of a number of drivers from that area at that time

#86 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:56

Hatrat.........nearly subjested the Tyrrell Turtill/Garry'Gus'Mullholand ,7.7litre Cessna 180 powered "Continental Special" a not dissimular concept regarding 'Design/Concept',Tyrell raced his creation between 1968 till 1970 until his and 'Gus's untimely demise in a road accident while driving a 'race prepared Damilar SP250 sports car,speed was a contributing factor...........Garry Mullholand sister,Wendy Steeds,has succesfully produced a stage play,a Musical Tribute,"The Continental Special,The Car That Flew",TVNZ,'Close Up' featured a 'Doco' on the subject which has been broadcast, Tyrrell's sister,Judith Turtill (now Judy Glen) who has achieved International success as a Comedienne,Actress and Operatic Soprano,was also heavily involved in the stage production......................how's that David ??.............No!!!! I didn't remember all this imfo,its on a great site my friend John 'Johnny' Campbell's web site honouring his 'Rock-n-Roll' band the 'DETOURS' ,check this webb site for great photo's of the 'Continental Special'.......WWW.johnnycampbell.co.nz.....(this site is a great read if you grew up in Christchurch in the 60's)..............regards427

#87 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:46

I told my Christchurch-based brother to go along and see the play (bet he didn't though)
And, even further OT, I did once have a go in the Swift FF built by Larry Mulholland (brother) :)

#88 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,893 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:31

Originally posted by thunder427
Hatrat.........nearly subjested the Tyrrell Turtill/Garry'Gus'Mullholand ,7.7litre Cessna 180 powered "Continental Special" a not dissimular concept regarding 'Design/Concept',Tyrell raced his creation between 1968 till 1970 until his and 'Gus's untimely demise in a road accident while driving a 'race prepared Damilar SP250 sports car,speed was a contributing factor...........Garry Mullholand sister,Wendy Steeds,has succesfully produced a stage play,a Musical Tribute,"The Continental Special,The Car That Flew",TVNZ,'Close Up' featured a 'Doco' on the subject which has been broadcast, Tyrrell's sister,Judith Turtill (now Judy Glen) who has achieved International success as a Comedienne,Actress and Operatic Soprano,was also heavily involved in the stage production......................how's that David ??.............No!!!! I didn't remember all this imfo,its on a great site my friend John 'Johnny' Campbell's web site honouring his 'Rock-n-Roll' band the 'DETOURS' ,check this webb site for great photo's of the 'Continental Special'.......WWW.johnnycampbell.co.nz.....(this site is a great read if you grew up in Christchurch in the 60's)..............regards427

For those who want to look up that site, here's the real address:

www.johnnycampbell.co.nz

#89 john medley

john medley

• 1,391 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:43

Interesting stuff. I heard of the Tyrrell Turtill car when Judy was then married to Keith Gledhill who worked on my staff 40 years ago. Now Judy Glen or Gledhill?

#90 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 635 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:40

A little bit after the event, I know, but here's a bit more on Hatrat's photos. A small slice of mid 60's NZ sports car racing.

I found the appropriate programme in my heap, and to my shock and surprise, found I had done a lap chart of the race! I didn't note down the grid positions, but can identify the following cars/drivers from the photo.

50 - Richardson - Heron
59 - Noel Fava - Healey 100/4
52 - Dave Holloway - Kato
59 - G.A. Jackson - Daimler
53 - Feo Stanton - Honda 600
? - Lotus 7 or clone - either (1)Stewart/Robat Mantis or (37) I.G. Hutchinson/Lotus 7
64 - Oxton, and another Daimler to his left - possibly R.Smith. Trevor Sheffield was also in the field, but I would expect him to be nearer the front of a 26-car field.

The race was an 8-lapper and Oxton must have put in an incredible first lap, coming round in 4th from 20th place on the grid! Only Jim Boyd(Lycoming), Jim/?John Donnelly in the HWM-Corvette (originally imported by the Avery brothers in the mid-fifties) and Basil Campion(Lotus 11) were ahead of him. It was rather processional and the only change at the front end of the race was Campion disappearing on the last lap, leaving David Oxton third. Gary Bremer(E-Type Jaguar) and Trevor Sheffield (Daimler) were the only other unlapped runners. Others of note were Ivy Stephenson (6th), Richardson in the new Heron (7th), Peter Akeroyd in the older Heron, Oakley (U2), Ian Horley (Beowulf) .. 26 of them!

Gary Bremer had previously raced the Jack Shelly/Angus Hyslop/Simon Taylor D-Type Jaguar and I think he died about a year ago.

Oxton quickly went on to better things and by the February 1966 Pukekohe meeting he was running the ex John Riley Lola sports.

Campion was, I think originally from Christchurch, and had an (?) engineering firm called Campion and Irving. Two friends of mine worked for the co. in the 70's and I have a recollection of Campion sailing/motoring a sizeable motor boat through Indonesia and the Far East, long before the whole world seemed to be doing it.

This is interesting stuff. It keeps the Super Gold Card Brain active!

#91 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 13:03

Thanks wenoopy - I got some of them right :lol:
I think the Lotus 7 looks more like the Robat Mantis
Yes, Campion was based in Christchurch when he started racing the Lotus. Before that he'd been king of the grasstracks for some time, usually in 500 specials
Assuming this was the December 1965 Puke meeting, his demise was caused by a spin on oil in the Loop

#92 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 20:25

Thanks, thats how I see it as well sorry I meant to get back sooner,but work interfered,I agree with David on the Robat Mantis,the crash helmet style I am sure suggests Stewart.The Oxton Daimler is the one with the rear wheel just visible in the photo,from my memory the other Daimlers were all running different style wheels.I did actually get to drive the Heron Daimler way back then one day at Pukekohe,in my estimation it was underpowered and way over tyred for the power it had,the Citroen gearbox also was a real shocker to change gear
No takers on the FJ Holden in the later thread,can I add a couple more clues ,the car was prepared and run out of a workshop just around the corner from John Rileys Car Sales,the driver also came from South Auckland and went on to other things in motor sport
Bob

#93 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 20:37

Peter Benbrook (who has Sid 1 and 2) reports that the Heron Damiler ended up in Wellington for many years before being broken up. Sid 1 was built from the sister car the Mk2 Heron which had similar bodywork to the Heron Damiler (he thinks the body builder was the same for both cars). Sid 1 didn't use any parts from the Heron Damiler.

#94 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 20:58

Originally posted by hiteknz
No takers on the FJ Holden in the later thread

I'm surprised too
As it's been up for a while, I suppose I could throw in GH, though whether that's the car or the driver I'm not prepared to say :)

#95 hatrat

hatrat

• 308 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 21:04

Further to the Holden FJ photo. Its not much of a clue but here is the driver of the FJ a few years earlier at the Whales Quarry hillclimb in Mt Wellington (Auckland Car Club event) in the ex Des Herrick, Ron Roycroft, Herb Gilroy, Dave Lichtenstein, Keith Smith, Chris Amon etc A40 Special.

Posted Image

#96 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,893 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 21:19

Among a bunch of images sent to me for posting...

These are the work of Linda Nicastri and include some Kiwi cars... so I've included them here. I'm not actually sure about the blue Camaro, is it a Kiwi car?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 21:48

Car 150 is the FJ Holden of Graham Harvey. That would have been at the April 4 1964 meeting at Pukekohe whre he finished third behind Rod Coppins in the Corvette-powered Chev Coupe and Garth Souness in the similarly-powered Ford B4.

The only pet name that I can recall is "The Golden Holden."

#98 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 22:57

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic
Car 150 is the FJ Holden of Graham Harvey. That would have been at the April 4 1964 meeting at Pukekohe whre he finished third behind Rod Coppins in the Corvette-powered Chev Coupe and Garth Souness in the similarly-powered Ford B4.

The only pet name that I can recall is "The Golden Holden."

Milan
I think perhaps that is the front mudguard of The B4 to the left of the photo,who was the other driver connected to the Holden in those days ? Automotve Services was the name of Graham Harveys business in Otahuhu
Bob

#99 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,606 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 00:43

wasn't the spelling

Grahame Harvey?

A few more names

Rex Flowers - ran the ex Amon Lola T4

Robbie Booth - very fast, one leg as I recall..FF,F5000
Scott Wiseman - lwt E-type

Advertisement

#100 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 00:58

Originally posted by Vicuna
wasn't the spelling

Grahame Harvey

Could well be. Motorman had both spellings in the one article and the programme just had G. Harvey.