Photo

Will Mercedes regret powering Brawn?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,555 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:26

The decision was made long ago by Mercedes to sell an engine supply to the struggling remnants of the Honda team for 2009. Had they known the Brawn was going to outshine their main partner McLaren so convincingly come Melbourne would they do the same again?

Advertisement

#2 nickponty

nickponty

• 158 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:28

Of course they would - the Mercedes name is winning races, they're getting great PR and getting paid for it!

#3 F1 Truth

F1 Truth

• 79 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:31

The only thing they might be regretting is not having the Mercedes star and "Powered by Mercedes-Benz" label on the Brawn.

#4 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:38

Originally posted by F1 Truth
The only thing they might be regretting is not having the Mercedes star and "Powered by Mercedes-Benz" label on the Brawn.

It's never too late to paste a little logo on the engine cover ;)

#5 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,896 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:41

I think that Ferrari regret's it did not sell the enfgines to Brawn, when asked for... ;)

#6 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:47

Originally posted by Tomerell
I think that Ferrari regret's it did not sell the enfgines to Brawn, when asked for... ;)

I understood that Brawn rejected Ferrari engines. They were Ross' first choice, but didn't fit well into the car.

#7 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,924 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:49

Originally posted by F1 Truth

That was my thought as well. And I reckon Sir Richard Branson would've loved to have Virgin all over the drivers' overalls, since they were all over today's papers.

#8 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:50

Mercedes had three podium finishes. They are more than happy with that sort of result.

#9 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:59

No one regrets being associated with winners.

#10 27GV

27GV

• 363 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:12

When was the last time all Mercedes powered cars took the podium?

#11 anthony says

anthony says

• 461 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:13

Even after a levelling of the diffuser playing field, Brawn-Mercedes are going to be in with a chance of world titles and McLaren-Mercedes could be in mid-field. Yes of course the Mercedes Benz board are going to be pleased that their engine is leading the WCM, especially as it is in a make of chassis that looked hopeless when it had a Honda engine.

#12 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,924 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:14

Originally posted by 27GV
When was the last time all Mercedes powered cars took the podium?

I read something about Moss leading Fangio and 2 other Mercedes drivers to a 1-2-3-4 some time in 1954-55.

#13 trenchcoat

trenchcoat

• 453 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:40

Regret? They get millions for it. If they did not suppl, they would still be beaten and have a few millions less. Mercedes are here to promote their brand and having being associated with Brawn is a huge bonus.

#14 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:47

Are they regretting that it's proven that their engine is capable of winning GP's in 2009? Sure, totally. Every engine manufacturer would regret that, it's midfield what matters for these guys :drunk:

#15 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,555 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:15

Originally posted by howardt

I understood that Brawn rejected Ferrari engines. They were Ross' first choice, but didn't fit well into the car.

Brawn himself has mentioned that a few times. The Merc was easier to package and hang the gearbox/susp/diffuser off.

#16 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan

• 460 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:33

Norbert Haug: "The Customer is King at Mercedes" :lol:

#17 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:42

odd mix of success and self ownage at the same time actully

1-2-3 is pretty awsome success :)

customer cars beating your works wdc driven entry is self ownage xD

id guess at the lack of merc branding on the car is possibly because of honda, a agreement the team races "plain" car

#18 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:06

I dont think Mercedes regrets it but Mclaren sure wouldnt like it.

#19 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:46

lack of branding is a purely money issue, space on the cars costs money and Brawn isn't about to pay Mercedes full price for their engines and the privilege of a mercedes badge on their cars. Much like RB/TR, if Mercedes cuts the price on the engines they ll get a a powered by mercedes benz sticker on the Brawn cars :).

And no, I don't think they would "regret" it, they'd certainly prefer a Mercedes powered Brawn winning than a Ferrari/Renaul/BMW/Whatever powered Brawn winning.

Advertisement

#20 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:48

Can somebody post details as to why Ferrari engines were not chosen? I thought Mercedes was Brawn's only option as nobody was willing to sign a contract so near the start of the season.

#21 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:50

Originally posted by DEVO
Can somebody post details as to why Ferrari engines were not chosen? I thought Mercedes was Brawn's only option as nobody was willing to sign a contract so near the start of the season.

Search google and Autosport archieve: Brawn many times that the reason for choosing Mercedes engine was it was more like Honda engine shape and size wise, therefore it was far easier to put into the car designed for Honda engine.

#22 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:52

No ferrari was the initial "proffered" engine deal due to Brawn's ties with Ferrari, but he decided the Merc engine integrated better with the Honda derived gearbox and fit the car better.

“Both Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz were exceptional in the support they offered, but it came down to the fact that the Mercedes-Benz engine fitted our chassis more easily than the Ferrari engine. Once we made that decision around Christmas time, the Mercedes-Benz people were fantastic in supporting the project,” added Brawn.

from march 10th ^^ it's been reported on pretty much all the motor racing sites

#23 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:56

i think the blocks are core components are pretty much the same now for all f1 engines, so its more just where the stuff connects, mounting points etc...

#24 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:14

Originally posted by wingwalker

Search google and Autosport archieve: Brawn many times that the reason for choosing Mercedes engine was it was more like Honda engine shape and size wise, therefore it was far easier to put into the car designed for Honda engine.

Ok. Thanks

#25 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 566 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:21

The Mercedes engine was used as it was a better retro fit to the car than the Ferrari engine. Ross was most concerned to have the Honda gearbox (as changing to the Ferrari/McLaren one would have meant a redesign that would have eliminated the rear diffuser/downforce funnel setup ;))

As for Mercedes i'm sure they are loving the situation, with increased exposure and they are being paid by the teams to supply their engines.... Be interesting if Mercedes decided to buy a stake in BGP too ;) I believe its a 45% shareholding in McLaren they have?

#26 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:29

Originally posted by lustigson

I read something about Moss leading Fangio and 2 other Mercedes drivers to a 1-2-3-4 some time in 1954-55.

British GP at Aintree 1955: Moss - Fangio - Kling - Taruffi.

They also had a 1-2-3 in the non-championship Berlin GP at AVUS in 1954: Kling - Fangio - Herrmann.

#27 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:31

What's better for Mercedes:

1) Mercedes engined cars since 18k RPM rev-limit all being at back (What would have happened if they didn't offer Brawn engines, or Brawn's car was sub-par)

2) Mercedes engined cars dominating at the front.

#28 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:34

That 'Powered by Merc' logo will be adorning the side of the car faster than you can say McLaren.

#29 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:38

Originally posted by RoutariEnjinu
What's better for Mercedes:

1) Mercedes engined cars since 18k RPM rev-limit all being at back (What would have happened if they didn't offer Brawn engines, or Brawn's car was sub-par)

2) Mercedes engined cars dominating at the front.

That is a difficult question.....OK, I'll take a punt on 2... ;)

#30 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:40

I think Pingu666 is probably right - Brawn GP is likely contractually prevented from running a "powered by Mercedes" graphic on the car. I guess we'll know soon, because it's a no-brainer for MB to toss a few million to Brawn for it if they can.

#31 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:40

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor
The decision was made long ago by Mercedes to sell an engine supply to the struggling remnants of the Honda team for 2009. Had they known the Brawn was going to outshine their main partner McLaren so convincingly come Melbourne would they do the same again?

For sure, they get money and wins, why not? Better it's Brawn Mercedes than Brawn Ferrari ;)

I'm not sure McLaren is very happy about it though.

Originally posted by tkulla
I think Pingu666 is probably right - Brawn GP is likely contractually prevented from running a "powered by Mercedes" graphic on the car.

Why would they run Mercedes branding if they are not getting paid for it ;)

#32 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,555 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:48

Originally posted by micra_k10

Why would they run Mercedes branding if they are not getting paid for it ;)

Weird that. Unless Honda forbid it, you'd think Brawn would be happy to get cheaper engines and put the Merc stickers on. Maybe even a http://www.ashford-m...-badge-car2.gif. Maybe FIA would condemn it as a winglet.

#33 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 132 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 16:15

i know the staff at merc get the same bonus no matter which car ends up winning. they were certainly all very, very pleased with the 1-2-3 :lol:

#34 Buzaglo

Buzaglo

• 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 19:41

I read that Force India had to okay the deal as they were Merc's designated customer. And Mallya to his credit did so, so that a tenth team could join the grid.

So Merc has to do a balancing act between Brawn, McLaren and Force India; and Brawn owe Force India a small favour.

I wonder if some Brawn technology will filter down to Force India as a result through their Merc links, or should I get real?

#35 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:04

Weird that. Unless Honda forbid it, you'd think Brawn would be happy to get cheaper engines and put the Merc stickers on.

Mercedes doesnt have unlimited budget. Maybe the are happy for Brawn winning for them and paying for the engines?

#36 BootLace

BootLace

• 213 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:22

Originally posted by pingu666
customer cars beating your works wdc driven entry is self ownage xD

I think the key point here is that it's a customer engine, not car. I'm sure there'd be a certain amount of embarrassment if Brawn were running 2nd hand McLarens and still winning, but this isn't the case.

#37 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,952 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 13:03

I am a bit dubious about the MB plant being a better fit than the Ferrari unit. Afterall, RBR use a Renault and a Ferrari plant - they have managed to package both power plants. Recall with RBR, that Newey did not want the Ferrari power plant in the RBR - he much prefered the Renault unit. Heating was one of the significant issues too - but more I think his preferance was related to support. I think when the Ferrari engine overheated in the RBR, Ferrari were not very helpful in resolving the issues.

So maybe Brawn picked what he thought was the best engine. Maybe the MB unit was very similar to the Honda plant - but I suspect there might have been a bit more to it.

#38 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 13:09

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
I am a bit dubious about the MB plant being a better fit than the Ferrari unit. Afterall, RBR use a Renault and a Ferrari plant - they have managed to package both power plants. Recall with RBR, that Newey did not want the Ferrari power plant in the RBR - he much prefered the Renault unit. Heating was one of the significant issues too - but more I think his preferance was related to support. I think when the Ferrari engine overheated in the RBR, Ferrari were not very helpful in resolving the issues.

So maybe Brawn picked what he thought was the best engine. Maybe the MB unit was very similar to the Honda plant - but I suspect there might have been a bit more to it.

It had to do with external engine dimensions, crank height etc. of the MB engine, relative to the Honda/Brawn gearbox.
Not so much with the intrinsic characteristics of the engine.
Barrichello said the difference in crank height with the MB was only 8mm, a gap that was easier to bridge.

#39 giltkid

giltkid

• 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 15:04

I think we'll get some idea of how closely Merc and Brawn are working together by following closely how quickly and how well Brawn sort out their 'Achilles' heel - the gearbox. Because of the switch from Honda to Merc mills they are having to lubricate the gearbox separately from the engine. A solution to this will surely need a lot of input from Mercedes...

Advertisement

#40 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 15:05

Originally posted by Buzaglo
I read that Force India had to okay the deal as they were Merc's designated customer. And Mallya to his credit did so, so that a tenth team could join the grid.

So Merc has to do a balancing act between Brawn, McLaren and Force India; and Brawn owe Force India a small favour.

I wonder if some Brawn technology will filter down to Force India as a result through their Merc links, or should I get real?

Brawn owe Force India nothing.

#41 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 15:06

Originally posted by giltkid
I think we'll get some idea of how closely Merc and Brawn are working together by following closely how quickly and how well Brawn sort out their 'Achilles' heel - the gearbox. Because of the switch from Honda to Merc mills they are having to lubricate the gearbox separately from the engine. A solution to this will surely need a lot of input from Mercedes...

They have been very reliable so far.

#42 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 15:39

It's more of an embarrasment for McMerc that Brawn are practically thrashing the works team. It highlights the shortcomings of the works team rather than highlight the strengths of the engine separately

#43 Bernd Rosemeyer

Bernd Rosemeyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 16:27

Certainly, they occupied the first three places, it can hardly get better. :up: