Commercial vehicle nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
807 replies to this topic

#101 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:24

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
A super thread this, terrific photographs.
Occasionally my paint brushes stray away from motor racing subjects. Although not strictly commercial, more agricultural nostalgia, i'm wondering if it fits here or indeed if you would be interested in seeing it? Anyway, here goes.

I painted this Suffolk scene of a 1971 FIAT crawler. It was presented to the farm worker shown ploughing, on his recent retirement. Commissioned by the farming family that he worked for.

Posted Image

But Andrew is that not the latest racing vehicle from FIAT, the 2009 Ferrari ? and I see you got the detail of the multi bladed diffuser at the back ..!!

Advertisement

#102 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,445 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:25

I better join in with some family photos from Australia. My father owned a furniture removals company called Atlas Removals and was based in Katoomba. My grandfather started it all off as a luggage carrier at Katoomba railway station in the mid 1940s and my father expanded into furniture moving and then into new furniture deliveries and then into general freight and beer deliveries.
I went through mums photo album and came up with these, I hope they meet with approval. I don't have photos of all the trucks that they had but here are a few...

This GMC started off as a pantec (van) but later the pantec went onto a Bedford and the GMC ended up as a table-top (tray truck)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the same pantec body on a Bedford the bloke in the photo worked in the Sydney depot...
Posted Image

This Chevrolet was the first diesel truck that dad owned. It had a Bedford 330 (I think, or was it a 300?)
He got professional photos taken for advertising use. (the pink pages!) This would have been in the early 60s.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The same truck a lot of years later. This was during a big snowfall at Katoomba in 1971.
Posted Image

This one shows a Dodge table-top and a Bedford pantec as well as the Chev.
Posted Image

The Chev was retired and the pantec body was fitted to a Bedford.
Posted Image

Chevrolet Viking with a home made pantec body. My two brothers are in this photo...
Posted Image

Hiding in the background is Catalina racing circuit. (on the left hand side of the photo under the trees)
Posted Image

Doing a removal into a top floor flat in Katoomba St. Katoomba. (there is a parking ticket on the windscreen!)
Posted Image

This Bedford was a good thing! Dad built the pantec body himself and did a very professional job. (pity the sign-writer did such a crappy job!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

A different Bedford with an Allens of Dural body.
Posted Image

Some more to follow...
(all photos are subject copyright)

#103 Fubar

Fubar

• 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:08

Nice collection of pics there - I love the very first one, fill up the van then strap some more stuff on top! You certainly get your fair share of snow in Katoomba and it's easy for us in the UK to forget that places at high altitude do get snow in Oz, the common misconception is that Australia is wall to wall sunshine everywhere.

#104 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,445 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:32

All the pantecs used to get roof loads. It was not very hard to throw mattresses or lounge suites up on the roof and throw a tarp over them. The only thing was not to go over the maximum height or under low bridges.
About the snow, the funny thing is that it didn't snow very often but when it did the camera came out! :D

#105 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 21:03

Originally posted by Catalina Park
.....A different Bedford with an Allens of Dural body.
Posted Image

A motor racing connection!

The Tony Simmons-built Seca 3 Clubman was raced by Barry Allen from Allens' of Dural... he was something of a front runner in the 1600cc class during the mid-seventies.

#106 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 22:30

Seen in various places over the last few years:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and more on following posts as there's a limit to the number of images.

#107 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 22:30

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Still more...

#108 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 22:31

And a grand finale (not my picture!):

Posted Image

#109 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,714 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 22:52

I remember in the early '70's stopping at a garage in Penrith following a breakdown on the M6, there was a Diamond T with the rear flatbed full of 25lb weights for ballast, obviously a recovery vehicle. Looking inside the cab and under the open bonnet I was amazed at the size of the (petrol) engine, wood floor etc. A truly magnificent beast, I thought that it must have been the prime mover for an American tank transporter or something similar. Does anyone have any more info on the Diamond T?

Thanks for a great thread.

#110 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:45

Did someone mention "Diamond T"?

Posted Image

#111 retriever

retriever

• 548 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:07

The black & white image posted by Ray Bell is a Federal 604, generally similar in looks to the Diamond T 980 primer mover.

#112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:04

That photo was taken in Adelaide in 1946... maybe late 1945...

Eldred Norman and someone else (who put up the money) had been to New Guinea buying up military surplus vehicles. They had something like 55 Jeeps, but they were nervous about them as so many Jeeps were about to flood the market... they wholesaled them as soon as the ship got them to Sydney.

The balance was transported overland to Adelaide. This was one load... the low loader, two blitzes on top, one dragged along behind and a trailer on the back of it. All of it loaded to the gills with whatever tyres and drums of fuel could be squeezed in.

One such load totalled 83 tons... just picture that... 83 tons over this bridge!

And by the way, there were Mack wrecker trucks used by the Australian Army. These were huge and heavy things with cables and wheels everywhere, jibs that swung out, as I recall. Capable, I was told, of dragging a tank across the desert with the tracks locked.

#113 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:51

Durkopp, 1912 - Qld. NOT my shot! Ex Qld library on-line digital images, I think...
[IMG]http://img524.images...ngreach1912.jpg[/IMG]

#114 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:34

Some pictures here of one of the most impressive road transport vehicles I've seen...

#115 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,923 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 22:36

Originally posted by onelung
Durkopp, 1912 - Qld. NOT my shot! Ex Qld library on-line digital images, I think...
[IMG]http://img524.images...ngreach1912.jpg[/IMG]

Now that makes Tom Cruze look luxurious! Has anyone got any pics of the Badger or the Blitz?

#116 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 23:56

Lee,
Here is a link about old Tom the Birdsville mailman. His name was actually Kruse.

http://australianscr...rdsville/clip1/

#117 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:01

Here's one that I nearly cried over when I saw it headed for the crusher:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have no idea what make it was, the wheels will give that away in the end. But whoever logs in here and sees those wheels will probably cry anyway! No front brakes, like the other one further up the page, different cast iron wheels front and rear. It was at Manildra in Central West New South Wales on a pile that was progressively going to the Chinese slaughter when the big scrap drive was getting underway in 2005.

Here's a Fargo I was e.mailed yesterday... it's going up for auction in a farm clearance sale near Dubbo this weekend:

Posted Image

I have some other interesting stuff... more later...

#118 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,923 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:48

The good thing about scrap being worth so little in comparison to last year is that the survivors may survive.There was so much good stuff, cars, trucks, machinery and equipment that went for scrap in the last 2 years.

#119 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:00

The scrap drive was getting underway by late 2004, IIRC...

It reached high levels in 2006 and 2007, but died as the Olympic Games came on. But there was a lot of good stuff lost in the interim. It also showed scrap dealers how they could effectively get more scrap in... and others that scrap value was worth chasing. Farms particularly cleaned up all over the place... country towns that used to harbour lots of valuable vehicles have been denuded.

More I've spied out there, starting with a Buick built into a Service Car:

Posted Image

In this rear view you can see the way passengers walked through to the rear:

Posted Image

This bus, for many years used as a parts repository at a wrecking yard, has doors all along one side:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#120 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,923 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:34

Two years ago I was getting around $100 a ton at the local scrappy, just before the Olympics I got $380 for steel.Now I would struggle to get paid for it. Alloy is worth nothing and copper and brass not much more. It was worth buying bombs for $50 and selling off good stuff and stripping easy access alloy and copper and taking the rest to scrap, not now.
A mate on Yorke Peninsula was getting a bit more and he was cleaning up all this old equipment on propertys as hard as he could go.Now , with a contract he is still getting $140 a ton but he cannot give away alloy so he is hanging on to it.
So what is left of these poor old trucks may survive a bit longer and hopefully someone will rescue them, even if only for parts.Being so big it makes it a proffessional effort to scrap them unlike cars where a trailer and winch will get most.

#121 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:57

Back on message 33 there was a print of possibly the worst designed low cranked girder frame trailer ever designed for UK's road system.It was Pickfords 5261 and had a wheel load of 4 tons before you stuck the 180 ton load on it.Pickfords,Wynns,Sunters etc ,they all went out of business due to the lack of engineering savvy.

#122 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 609 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:16

I leaned to drive in this and I still miss it :(

http://www.spritespo...ars&id=TRANSIT1

#123 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,724 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:28

A shot of "el camello" which serves as public bus transport in Cuban cities. They aca hold upto 300 passengers. Scanned from a postcard.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

#124 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,724 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:31

Another "camello. I cannot get the new system to accept 2 photos. Scanned from a postcard
Posted Image
Roger Lund

#125 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:32

A shot of "el camello" which serves as public bus transport in Cuban cities. They aca hold upto 300 passengers. Scanned from a postcard.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

Sorry Roger, did I read that correctly, up to 300 passengers :eek: There I was thinking the buses in Mombassa were mental :lol:

#126 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,724 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:37

Sorry Roger, did I read that correctly, up to 300 passengers :eek: There I was thinking the buses in Mombassa were mental :lol:

Yup.300 we were told. I will find some shots of the other "buses" to give you an idea of the alternatives.
RL

#127 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 00:12

Not a whole truck, but enough to see how they loaded the poor thing down in 1951...

Posted Image

The Stan Jones Maybach travelled from Melbourne to Leyburn on this one, with the Davison MG Special on a trailer behind it. No idea what kind of truck.

Another couple in the Cooma Wreckers' yard:

Posted Image

#128 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:51

Some pictures here of one of the most impressive road transport vehicles I've seen...

Ray - thanks for the Leyburn shots in another thread - the prime mover of the Renard, plus one trailer, is in SA: I think it has lost the original motor, though...
Yes, an amazing device. I have seen a postcard shot of it parked outside the pub at Farina. The mind boggles at it making its way through the rough country in the northern Flinders ranges.

http://clare.yourgui...lka/262462.aspx

#129 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:45

That photo was taken in Adelaide in 1946... maybe late 1945...

Eldred Norman and someone else (who put up the money) had been to New Guinea buying up military surplus vehicles. They had something like 55 Jeeps, but they were nervous about them as so many Jeeps were about to flood the market... they wholesaled them as soon as the ship got them to Sydney...

Ray, I have a feeling that the "someone else" might possibly have one been Bill Jolly (?)
From many years ago I recall a yard on Main North Road just out of North Adelaide which was filled with all sorts of wonderful WW2 stuff, including a massive tank transporter such as you have pictured.
I think Jolly also had stuff parked over on a property (his?) on Yorke Peninsula - bren gun carriers, etc etc.
Very likely it was the same Bill Jolly involved/responsible for the Bedmore Special (1948 Morris based special) with Lobethal connections.
I am sure there are others out there who know the full story...

#130 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,724 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 17:20

http://www.veloce.co...rod...; Trucks
Roger Lund

#131 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:30

tried to upload some pics from the Sydney Truck & Bus Museum but didnt work, must be my limitied mentality

#132 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,445 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:13

This is my old Bedford/Isuzu. Photo is from the late 80s or early 90s.

Posted Image

How about this one, I am in the drivers seat of this TS3 powered Commer Crane.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#133 Fubar

Fubar

• 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 16:13

I created this website for a restoration project on an old Albion double decker bus shipped back to Scotland from Australia.

Albion CX19 Restoration

Edited by Fubar, 02 May 2009 - 16:16.

#134 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,724 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 19:46

Posted for Sterling 49
Posted Image
Roger Lund

#135 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 20:12

Thanks for the favour Roger :up: These buses were driven by some really fun young people, in the Columbia Ice Parkway, B.C, Canada (sorry, or is it Alberta?). After seeing a photo of the fabulous bus that Roger posted, this photo was doing the "screen saver" run on my pc, and I thought it might be ok for this thread?. I was so interested in the view, I never found out anything about the bus, other than it had massive tyres and an incredibly low crawler gear, some pretty steep inclines and declines to traverse getting onto and off the glacier :eek:

#136 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 18:57

Friends:

Here's a photo of an old bus at the Belmar Museum in Lakewood, Colorado. I shot it perhaps 10 years ago, specifically in black and white, because color would have seemed unnatural:

Posted Image

Perhaps one of you can tell us what it is.

Frank

#137 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 17:56

This was the slightly older bus that was in use previously, I bet it had a spine jarring ride :lol:

Posted Image

#138 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:06

Originally posted by onelung
Ray, I have a feeling that the "someone else" might possibly have one been Bill Jolly (?)
From many years ago I recall a yard on Main North Road just out of North Adelaide which was filled with all sorts of wonderful WW2 stuff, including a massive tank transporter such as you have pictured.
I think Jolly also had stuff parked over on a property (his?) on Yorke Peninsula - bren gun carriers, etc etc.
Very likely it was the same Bill Jolly involved/responsible for the Bedmore Special (1948 Morris based special) with Lobethal connections.
I am sure there are others out there who know the full story...

No, not Jolly. I don't think Eldred ever had much to do with him...

It could have been the owner of Motors Limited (I think that was the name of the business, they were the Nuffield agents in Adelaide), but I'm not sure.

#139 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 23:55

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are some pictures from the Sydney Truck and Bus Museum.

Advertisement

#140 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 266 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:50

Friends:

Here's a photo of an old bus at the Belmar Museum in Lakewood, Colorado. I shot it perhaps 10 years ago, specifically in black and white, because color would have seemed unnatural:

Posted Image

Perhaps one of you can tell us what it is.

Frank

Frank,
The name "AutoCar" came to mind on seeing your b/w bus.

Wily.

#141 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:38

Maybe it's my turn to add some more?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a particularly good one somewhere... have to find it...

#142 retriever

retriever

• 548 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 16:17

No disrespect to TNT members down under but it looks like this thread is stuck down in the antipodes at present - how about some more input from those members residing north of the equator to balance things out!

#143 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 16:59

[Posted Image

Here are some pictures from the Sydney Truck and Bus Museum.

Love the Routemaster, I probably travelled on that a few times! What is the story behind this vehicle though? Tillingstone & Maidstone, I ask because Maidstone just happens to be the county town of my county (Kent).

#144 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 17:00

No disrespect to TNT members down under but it looks like this thread is stuck down in the antipodes at present - how about some more input from those members residing north of the equator to balance things out!

That noticeable eh? :D

#145 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:37

Is that a challenge?

I'm sure I could get an awful lot more very easily...

#146 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 268 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:01

An old photo found some time ago in a sale.

Posted Image

Rick. :)

#147 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:12

Posted Image

Uhhhhhhhh............ mail me my check..........

#148 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,455 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 22:55

Bad news for you Zooom...

As you're in the US, it's unlikely you'd have taken a photo of a truck with the word 'sulphur' on it.

#149 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,923 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:51

Posted Image

I bet that driver was glad of that spare wheel catching the whole rig from going over the edge.

#150 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,445 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:19

The driver was probably drinking tea in the lunchroom. :lol: