Posted 29 April 2009 - 15:35

Please click here for details!

:up:

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 16:30

Everyone relax, you can change the colour profile back to the old way if that's what you prefer.

#3 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:44

interesting, :drunk: I thought I had gone to the wrong forum for a moment!
so log in again too!

Do WE like change I wonder?

Edited by Andrew Fellowes, 30 April 2009 - 02:46.

#4 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:05

): I don't want to learn no new stuff... I iz old.

#5 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 337 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:14

I invariably feel like Buford about site upgrades, but for some reason I like this one a lot. :)

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:20

): I don't want to learn no new stuff... I iz old.

Ya gotta keep on learning, lad...

You is younger than me! And it's not like as if you've never delved into something before without knowing how to 'drive' it properly, is it? Like, did you ever hop onto a bike and not know how to work the brakes?

#7 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:28

Ya gotta keep on learning, lad...

You is younger than me! And it's not like as if you've never delved into something before without knowing how to 'drive' it properly, is it? Like, did you ever hop onto a bike and not know how to work the brakes?

Worse. The first night they put me in the Quarter Midget at age 7 at the stock car races shortly after we got it at the airport, they neglected to tell me where the brakes were. It was a hand brake on the side. So after zooming around at 50 MPH at age 7 they called me in and there was no brakes!!! I pushed and pushed and felt all around with my foot. No brakes. They also neglected to show me the kill switch. Ah 50's parents and kids. Tougher breed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Buford, 30 April 2009 - 03:30.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:31

Originally posted by Buford Apr 30 2009, 02:28 PM
Worse. The first night they put me in the Quarter Midget at age 7 at the stock car races shortly after we got it at the airport, they neglected to tell me where the brakes were. It was a hand brake on the side. So after zooming around at 50 MPH at age 7 they called me in and there was no brakes!!! I pushed and pushed and felt all around with my foot. No brakes. They also neglected to show me the kill switch. Ah 50's parents and kids. Tougher breed.

Some time you'll have to tell the full story on that one, it sounds like a beauty...

Bet your little brother wasn't happy to see you drive it without him!

#9 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:34

Some time you'll have to tell the full story on that one, it sounds like a beauty...

Bet your little brother wasn't happy to see you drive it without him!

Haha. Maybe some day when I scan that photo or nobody will believe it.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:55

Originally posted by Buford Apr 30 2009, 02:34 PM
Haha. Maybe some day when I scan that photo or nobody will believe it.

You know we always believe your stories, Buford...

Then again, a picture would be good. You've got a scanner, haven't you? If not, a digital camera is just as good!

#11 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:18

You know we always believe your stories, Buford...

Then again, a picture would be good. You've got a scanner, haven't you? If not, a digital camera is just as good!

Some do some don't. McGuire didn't believe I had Ray Harroun's autograph even after Don Capps told him he had seen my autograph book lol. Since I moved the scanner isn't hooked up and the photo is in a box out in the garage somewhere. So it won't be anytime soon as lazy as I am.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:27

Buford: We think alike. It took me 5 years before I ever Posted my first picture on the Forum. I always had others help me.
Now I am asked to enjoy this new high speed format. I agree it does seem faster. It is also slightly different and I personally don't have the hang of editing my mistakes yet.

#13 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:55

Everyone relax, you can change the colour profile back to the old way if that's what you prefer.

And how exactly do we do that, Ross, pray ?

#14 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:56

Thank you all involved! This appears, at first glance, to be decidedly niftier software. Not that the old fare was ever problematical.

But... but... don't tell anyone, but I've flipped back to the old Atlas 'skin'. Bit embarrassing actually.

Edited by Vanwall, 30 April 2009 - 05:57.

#15 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:10

interesting, :drunk: I thought I had gone to the wrong forum for a moment!

So did I :drunk:

#16 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:17

And this is what I have found in the Profile Settings:

Third Party Info
Very occasionally we may pass your contact details to another company whose products we think you'd love to hear about.

Haymarket Info
We'd like to send you great offers and information on other products from Haymarket.

I think it would be better to switch these options to "No thanks" from the default "Yes please"... :rolleyes:

Edited by Alexey Rogachev, 30 April 2009 - 06:18.

#17 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:20

Well there's one thing that I LIKE VERY MUCH - the way in which it handles Imageshack images - see Buford's post 7 above - if you click on the banner above the image, you get the full-size one IN A SINGLE CLICK (like it says...) - if you click on the image itself you still get that Imageshack rubbish of then having to click again to get the full-sized image... that's what I call progress! - congratulations to all concerned

cheers

neil

#18 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:22

Thanks , faster and pleasant to my eye.

#19 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:36

No longer any Profile, Private message or e-mail buttons ? Now much less distinctive , a very bland look just like all the other forums, loss of all reference to Atlas , a smaller font size with less bold print, sad day really , are their any upsides ?

Advertisement

#20 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:36

And this is what I have found in the Profile Settings:

I think it would be better to switch these options to "No thanks" from the default "Yes please"... :rolleyes:

Good catch.

#21 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:48

Don't look no further than the "Happy Birthday" or "Gone but not forgotten" threads to see what a mess the new software made of my carefully presented lists. They have become unreadable.

#22 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:52

Fine - a definite improvement.

Cue the "glass is half empty" brigade............

#23 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:52

The edit facility now lasts only a few moments, this is definitely a bad development.

Edited by RTH, 30 April 2009 - 06:53.

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:16

I note that Twinny is no longer our host - we are now 'led by' him. Should we now refer to him as the 'Great Leader' or the 'Dear Leader'? :p

#25 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:37

Yes, these North Korean titles look great... Great Leader Kim Twin Win :rotfl:

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:40

Originally posted by RTH Apr 30 2009
No longer any Profile, Private message or e-mail buttons?

Click on the poster's name and these options come up... well, I'm not sure about e.mails... but *edit* having checked I find you can send e.mails from their profile page...

Edited by Ray Bell, 30 April 2009 - 07:43.

#27 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:12

I no longer have 'go to first unread post', which I use all the time
Anyone else missing it?
(Maybe it's a Mac thing)

Also, Ted Walker can't log in, even after being sent a new password (twice)...

#28 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:18

Anyone else missing it?
(Maybe it's a Mac thing)

I'm on a PC, and I've still got it, although it's changed from an orange arrow to an orange square with one white corner.

Edited by Tim Murray, 30 April 2009 - 08:19.

#29 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:29

Anyone else missing it?
(Maybe it's a Mac thing)

Also, Ted Walker can't log in, even after being sent a new password (twice)...

David, the Orangey/Red box in front of the thread title is the "Go to First Unread Post" button. If you hover your cursor on the button it tells you the function.

:wave:

#30 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:30

To return to normal in the bottom left hand corner of the page there is a pull down button that says "autosport.com" change it to "Atlas F1"

#31 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:32

I have submitted one of the forms as pointed to by Twinny with a couple of requests. The two things I am missing are ...

1) The change of colour that takes place to a thread title once you have opened the thread.
2) The symbol that shows the threads you have contributed to.

That is unless they are still there and I'm too thick to notice!

#32 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:43

I'm on a PC, and I've still got it, although it's changed from an orange arrow to an orange square with one white corner.

Thanks Steve :up:

The 'quote' button on each thread doesn't work, though the 'reply' button has the same effect

Edited by David McKinney, 30 April 2009 - 08:43.

#33 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:47

The 'quote' button on each thread doesn't work, though the 'reply' button has the same effect

David, the Quote Button has been slightly changed, it is now a MULTI-Quote Button. So what you have to do is click on the Quote Icon (it should then change to Red) then click on the Reply Button. If you want to include more than one preceeding post in your quote then click on the Quote Button for each one then go down to the bottom of the page and click on the reply button.

#34 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:50

I have submitted one of the forms as pointed to by Twinny with a couple of requests. The two things I am missing are ...

1) The change of colour that takes place to a thread title once you have opened the thread.
2) The symbol that shows the threads you have contributed to.

That is unless they are still there and I'm too thick to notice!

I think I have found the answer to number 2 above. The Orange/red symbol on the left appears to have a white corner in the bottom right if you have contributed - is that right?

:confused:

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:52

Just hit reply for this and not quote.

That was the first thing I noticed and thought it was just me; is it a fault?

I don't like the bland look of the new site; it looks just like many others that I dare not mention now.................... :down:

#36 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:54

David, the Quote Button has been slightly changed, it is now a MULTI-Quote Button. So what you have to do is click on the Quote Icon (it should then change to Red) then click on the Reply Button. If you want to include more than one preceeding post in your quote then click on the Quote Button for each one then go down to the bottom of the page and click on the reply button.

Just hit reply for this and not quote.

That was the first thing I noticed and thought it was just me; is it a fault?

I don't like the bland look of the new site; it looks just like many others that I dare not mention now.................... :down:

Giraffe, wind in your neck and read my earlier post quoted above. :yawnface:

#37 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:58

This so confusing - I tried to quote Catalina Park's post re reverting to normal Atlas mode - but it didn't seem to work ...I got another quote instead from Stepen W :confused:
I'm now in 'orange' mode :cat:
Did someone think to make a forum user's idiot guide to help with the new changes?

#38 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:01

This so confusing - I tried to quote Catalina Park's post re reverting to normal Atlas mode - but it didn't seem to work ...I got another quote instead from Stepen W :confused:
Did someone think to make a forum user's idiot guide to help with the new changes?

Condor, stop all the flapping! What I think you may have done is hit the Quote button for the preceeding post - easily done I might add as there is a lack of clear definition between posts.

I'm with you when it comes to Idiot Guides - or should that be Guides for Idiots? :D

#39 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:04

I've re-skinned, but it reminds me of something Obama said about putting lipstick on a pig...................................... :well:

Advertisement

#40 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:05

So you didn't suspect that your parents might have been trying to tell you something?

#41 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:05

Condor, stop all the flapping! What I think you may have done is hit the Quote button for the preceeding post - easily done I might add as there is a lack of clear definition between posts.

I'm with you when it comes to Idiot Guides - or should that be Guides for Idiots? :D

Certainly prefered the old bold black quotes to this washy blue in a box format

#42 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:18

David, the Orangey/Red box in front of the thread title is the "Go to First Unread Post" button. If you hover your cursor on the button it tells you the function.

Thanks God I got the old crappy orange look back.

Now to work on the new stuff and I hate new stuff.

Henry :wave:

#43 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:21

The Edit button lasts now for only 5 mins then its gone forever and you cannot now edit any post.

I should have thought giving people an opportunity to re-consider something they have said even several days later or to correct some facts , to put the record straight for history and archive reasons was actually something to be encouraged, - not made impossible. As of course, was the case under the 'orange regime'

Above all on TNF we do like to keep the history accurate, this is a serious hindrance in that endeavour

#44 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:28

Bye-bye! :wave:

#45 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,353 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:31

What the ---- has happened ,this new layout look crap ,it just like all those other **** web site. who's bloody idea was this .Bring back the old style . :evil: :evil: :evil: :down: :down: :down: :down:

#46 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:34

Yes, you're right - I was so used to having the quote button at the top of the post....didn't think that it might have been shifted to the bottom. The quote button didn't seem to do anything though, but hitting the reply at the bottom of your post gave the quote that way.
I went to 'my profile' and changed the marketing type stuff to 'no thanks'...thanks for the heads up on that ( whoever suggested it) :up:

#47 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:39

You can gain a slight improvement in presentation by changing the default 'Autosport 'back to 'Atlas F1' in the bottom left hand corner of the page which brings back the orange highlighting and contrasts against the sea of blue which I think defines the layout rather better.

But it has to be said just what has this done for us ? Speed is no different its all just a bit less special than it was sadly.

Edited by RTH, 30 April 2009 - 09:40.

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:56

You can gain a slight improvement in presentation by changing the default 'Autosport 'back to 'Atlas F1' in the bottom left hand corner of the page which brings back the orange highlighting and contrasts against the sea of blue which I think defines the layout rather better.

But it has to be said just what has this done for us ? Speed is no different its all just a bit less special than it was sadly.

Yes, I've done that and got the orange back, but like I said, it's lipstick on a pig...................... :well:

#49 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:01

Yes, you're right - I was so used to having the quote button at the top of the post....didn't think that it might have been shifted to the bottom. The quote button didn't seem to do anything though, but hitting the reply at the bottom of your post gave the quote that way.

Yes, the quote button seems superfluous: whether or not you hit it before the reply button in the post, the post is quoted anyway.

I suspect ReWind's tables can be fixed with the use of the CODEBOX option which now appears in the reply screen. Or possibly the "Wrap in code tags" or "Insert list" buttons. I'd guess that's because this is no longer vBulletin software, but IP.Board - command codes may differ?

But add my name to those with concerns about inability to edit ....

#50 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:06

But add my name to those with concerns about inability to edit ....

Me too.