Photo

2001 Brazilian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 20:29

I posted this topic in forum nostalgia few days ago but it seems they aren't interested in anything less then 40 years old :D

I wanna discuss this superb race. :)

First of all, i must mention spectacular overtaking maneuver David did on Michael:

Posted Image

After poor exit on the main straight, Schumi made a mistake by lapping Marques on the outside line at the moment when he had David right on his tail - David simply took what was being offered and passed them both.

I'm also very, very surprised that it's being rarely mentioned among F1 fans. It's equally brilliant as the one done by Hakkinen on Spa 2000, yet i never read about it on forums over the Internet - ever.
One of explanation is that Coulthard's name simply isn't on the same level as the Hakkinen one. It's sort of tragedy for F1 fans... to miss such a great moment.

Second-great overtaking of the day was right after start: SC went to pits, Montoya was able to keep up on straight behind Schumi which still wasn't close enough for overtaking maneuver. Schumi made a mistake, braking too early and Montoya made very aggressive move which Schumi didn't anticipated and they had close wheel to wheel drive at turn 1. Montoya had the better line and simply closed the path for Schumi. Great pass!

Posted Image

Schumi did two more mistakes on this race. First one:

Posted Image

right after pitstops for new tyres when rain started. That one allowed David to close up to Michael (and later to overtook him) after he lost 1st place coz McLaren made big strategical error before by letting him drive 1lap more on dry tyres on very wet circuit, then Schumi did.

Second one doesn't held such a importance as at that time, David had comfortable lead and Schumi had massive lead over the first driver behind him - but for me it clearly shows that setup of Schumi's car wasn't as optimised for rain conditions as David's one did. One could notice that ever since both of them went of track with intermediate tyres.

Posted Image

All in all - superb race!

Advertisement

#2 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 20:34

Interlagos is what an F1 track should be, not the most modern, not the smoothest track but one of the best racing tracks in F1.

Yep that was another good Brazilian race.

#3 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 20:38

awesome picture there with JPM almost touching wheels with MS. great pass.. Its a shame Verstapen had to ruin Montoya's race.

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 20:40

I'm also very, very surprised that it's being rarely mentioned among F1 fans. It's equally brilliant as the one done by Hakkinen on Spa 2000, yet i never read about it on forums over the Internet - ever.
One of explanation is that Coulthard's name simply isn't on the same level as the Hakkinen one. It's sort of tragedy for F1 fans... to miss such a great moment.

Meh. Wasn't that brilliant. But then again, I dont think that Hakkinen's pass at Spa 98 was all brilliant, either. Both were just opportunistic, relatively trouble-free passes.

Especially the one with DC. Schumi just got unlucky there being on the outside. It was easy pickings for DC.

I see better passes in GP2 on a regular basis.

Was a good race, though, definitely.

Edited by Seanspeed, 09 July 2009 - 20:41.

#5 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 21:16

what a fantastic race that was!
I still remember the day when i saw with amazment how JPM was able to pass Schumi ...i couldnt believe what happened

i have the full race file in my hard drive
those who want to see this race just PM me ;)

Edited by sreevishnu, 09 July 2009 - 21:18.

#6 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 21:19

Meh. Wasn't that brilliant. But then again, I dont think that Hakkinen's pass at Spa 98 was all brilliant, either. Both were just opportunistic, relatively trouble-free passes.

Especially the one with DC. Schumi just got unlucky there being on the outside. It was easy pickings for DC.

I see better passes in GP2 on a regular basis.

Was a good race, though, definitely.

you mean Spa 2000??

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 21:44

That was a real good race.
One way or another there's always something exciting about each race at Interlagos. I can't think of the last one that was entirely dull.
But 2002 was just about normal.

#8 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 21:47

you mean Spa 2000??

Yea, thanks for correcting that. I guess I was just thinking about DC and Schumi and the 98 race...

#9 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:14

That was a real good race.
One way or another there's always something exciting about each race at Interlagos. I can't think of the last one that was entirely dull.
But 2002 was just about normal.

2002 race was exiting aswell, opening stages we had Ruben coming from 9th?? and overtaking everyone including schumi in lead and stopping in the grass few laps later.
and then rest of the race Ralf closed back to Schumi and they both couldnot pull out or overtake.
It was really tense race aswell

#10 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:21

2002 was shite. 2000 wasn't all that great once mika's engine went pop for the second race in a row.

#11 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 6,377 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:22

Great race and a good drive from DC that day.

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,608 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:31

IFirst of all, i must mention spectacular overtaking maneuver David did on Michael:

Posted Image

After poor exit on the main straight, Schumi made a mistake by lapping Marques on the outside line at the moment when he had David right on his tail - David simply took what was being offered and passed them both.

It's been mentioned quite a few times since 2001 on this forum, especially in relation to Mika's pass on Schumi at Spa in 2000 offering the opinion that this was quite possibly an even more difficult and brilliant pass (didn't Ross Steinfeld mention this in a thread on most brilliant passes or something like that?).

#13 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:36

It's been mentioned quite a few times since 2001 on this forum, especially in relation to Mika's pass on Schumi at Spa in 2000 offering the opinion that this was quite possibly an even more difficult and brilliant pass (didn't Ross Steinfeld mention this in a thread on most brilliant passes or something like that?).

Anybody would have made that pass:

Schumacher was held up on the outside, and DC had an easy pass.

Why do people think passes are so much more brilliant just cuz there's a car in between? I would have been much more impressed had he made the move without that backmarker there.

Edited by Seanspeed, 09 July 2009 - 22:37.

#14 dutra

dutra

• 1,196 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:46

oh yeah, you see that every day...

#15 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:49

I mean for sure it was mentioned over the web many times, just from my perspective i never read about it but that was just that it's kinda rare to read it then some other moments.

Anybody would have made that pass:

Schumacher was held up on the outside, and DC had an easy pass.

Why do people think passes are so much more brilliant just cuz there's a car in between? I would have been much more impressed had he made the move without that backmarker there.

They are more exciting then most overtaking's with two cars - they are more dangerous and surely unusual. Therefor they are better then normal overtaking with two cars involved.

I can't comment technically coz i never drove an F1 car and i never raced with F1 cars. I can comment as a fan of racing - it's brilliant.

#16 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 23:42

The pass of the race was clearly Montoya on Schumacher - think about it - Michael just got the WDC at Ferrari after years of not getting it done - in comes a hotshoe from ChampCar and blows his doors off on day one - in fact, didn't JPM also pass him at the next race in Malaysia and get lamely penalized for it?

2001 to 2003 was Montoya at his best, and series, IMO.

#17 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 23:48

oh yeah, you see that every day...

The frequency with which it occurs has absolutely no bearing on how difficult it is.

Like I said, it would have been more impressive had the backmarker NOT been in the way. That way, Schumi could have taken the line he wanted and actually tried to do something about it. As it was, Coulthard had the pass handed to him.

Edited by Seanspeed, 09 July 2009 - 23:49.

#18 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 23:48

The pass of the race was clearly Montoya on Schumacher

I agree.

#19 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 00:57

The pass of the race was clearly Montoya on Schumacher - think about it - Michael just got the WDC at Ferrari after years of not getting it done - in comes a hotshoe from ChampCar and blows his doors off on day one - in fact, didn't JPM also pass him at the next race in Malaysia and get lamely penalized for it?

2001 to 2003 was Montoya at his best, and series, IMO.

Don't think so, his car failed on the grid and he switched to the spare car and had to start from the pit lane, but was discuallified some laps later.

/Viktor

Edited by Viktor, 10 July 2009 - 00:58.

Advertisement

#20 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:14

awesome picture there with JPM almost touching wheels with MS

:up:
+1

#21 morgoth bauglir

morgoth bauglir

• 133 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:02

The Nostalgia Forum only discusses topics that happened at least 10 years ago.

#22 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:05

Hehe poor JPM having his race end that way!

#23 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,098 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:35

Don't think so, his car failed on the grid and he switched to the spare car and had to start from the pit lane, but was discuallified some laps later.

/Viktor

Nah, they didn't have time to black-flag him in Malaysia. He spun off in the atrocious downpour that hit the Sepang track after 3 laps.

Edited by Victor_RO, 10 July 2009 - 10:35.

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:01

It's not everyday that we get to talk about two passes for the lead on the same race.