* * * - - 5 votes

Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari days

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:09

Kimi's days in Ferrari are pretty much over. Having in mind, he was replacement of legendary Schumacher I do think most of tifosis expected much more. To me he was let down.
Got lucky in 07 while in following years he has been beaten by Massa and never really showed his performance from Mclaren days.
What do you think?

Edited by Nuvol, 14 July 2009 - 16:14.

Advertisement

#2 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:10

Räikkönen to retire after 2009

The Finnish media are reporting that Kimi Räikkönen will be retiring from Formula One at the end this season in order to make way for Fernando Alonso at the Italian team. Paddock rumours have linked the 2007 World Champion with Brawn, although new suggestions point towards a career in rallying.

With Räikkönen having already competed in three rally events this year, latest speculation from the Veikkaaja newspaper of Finland suggests that the Ferrari driver, who turns 30 in October, will be hanging up his F1 helmet for good as Spain's Alonso moves to the Scuderia ahead of 2010.

The reports also explained that Kimi's final year of contract - including payments of an estimated €28m - at Ferrari would be paid for but blocking the driver from joining any other Formula One team in the process. Riku Kuvaja, an 'assistant' of Räikkönen, has allegedly denied Tuesday's hearsay.

http://f1.gpupdate.n...tire-after-2009

Edited by ali.ünal, 14 July 2009 - 16:11.

#3 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:12

Its just Rumours mate!

#4 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:12

Kimi's time at Ferrari bugs the hell out of me. He arguably could have won the title last year if he had just worked up the motivation to actually apply himself.

I miss the Kimi from the McLaren days. That's the Kimi I'll remember when he's gone, the Flying Finn who, on many days, was the absolute class of the field. Now he just seems like a shadow of his former self. I wonder what happened?

ali.ünal, Kimi retiring at the end of the season is just a rumour. Ferrari denies it and Kimi, from what I understand, has actually gotten aggravated at people constantly saying he's leaving Ferrari next year. I think in the latest article about him doing the Finland rally has him saying something along the lines of "STOP ASKING IF I'M OUT NEXT YEAR!"

Edited by UPRC, 14 July 2009 - 16:15.

#5 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:19

Jeez, I didn't say anything about it. Just posted a news from a web site. I didn't make a comment on that. It's just another drop in the ocean of Raikkonen rumours/news.

#6 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:23

I don't suppose we could've waited until he's at least been fired before putting one last boot in?

As for that piece of news from Finnish media... They're just repeating the Gazetta piece we already have a thread (or several) about.

Edited by kismet, 14 July 2009 - 16:24.

#7 roadrunner89

roadrunner89

• 129 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:23

I miss the Kimi from the McLaren days. That's the Kimi I'll remember when he's gone, the Flying Finn who, on many days, was the absolute class of the field. Now he just seems like a shadow of his former self. I wonder what happened?

Maybe he'll talk about that when he has retired, assumed he really lost his motivation like many of us think/thought. I totally agree with you, I miss the Mclaren days :well:

#8 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:27

The media have been saying for 3 years now that Kimi will retire. Eventually they will be right, but it's kind of ridiculous to keep repeating it month in month out.

Kimi isn't really the media's friend, and media attaicks him this way.

#9 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:28

I've never understood why they couldn't give him a more pointy car that warmed its fronts a bit more and gripped on turn-in, that would have made all the difference. I think he's a driver who depended on his team/engineers to give him the car, rather than one who is into the setup and can guide them.

It's especially a mystery because Chris Dyer just had to give him the same car Michael would have wanted, though the difference in feedback and involvement must have been a bit of a shock I suppose. But evidently F1 cars have setup/design parameters beyond roll stiffness and what have you that made it impossible. Seems weird from the outside though, that they couldn't do it, Kimi was clearly meant to be the new star.

#10 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:33

I don´t think Kimi ever had the chance to meet the expectations. People assumed Massa is no good, so it was "beat Felipe with convincing margin or you suck". Unfortunately, Felipe is driving pretty damn well nowadays. KR did beat his teammate in 2007, won the WDC...and yet, we had people saying his performance was disappointing.

#11 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:38

What happened? Nothing much. He looked good against weak(ish) and/or injured teammates while he was the golden boy at McLaren. Now his teammate's neither weak nor injured and Kimi's definitely not the favourite son. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

I think the motivation thing is just convenient BS that gets dragged up when an explanation is necessary and people don't really have it. The guy didn't seem any faster back in 2007 when he supposedly was still motivated.

Edited by kismet, 14 July 2009 - 16:49.

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:43

What happened? Nothing much. He looked good against weak(ish) and/or injured teammates while he was the golden boy at McLaren. Now his teammate's neither weak nor injured and Kimi's definitely not the favourite son. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

His onboards from McLaren are awesome (a couple were posted a month or two ago). And his reputation in the pitlane was that he was the fastest guy, the one with the most sheer speed. For me, the car changed. Granted also he's a bit less motivated these days, but I think most of that is the car, it doesn't reward him.

#13 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:52

And yet, the only teammate he ever seemed comfortably faster than was an arguably off-form, possibly-past-his-sell-by-date David Coulthard. And the only teammate that never beat him over a season was an injured Juan Pablo Montoya.

Basically, I'm of the opinion that under the right circumstances almost everyone in F1 today could beat almost everyone else, and I know Kimi can because he has, but this whole fastest-thing-in-F1 myth seems to be based on his one season alongside Montoya. Before that, I believe Kimi was quite widely seen as steady and solid but decidedly unspectacular while Juan Pablo was speed and excitement personified.

Edited by kismet, 14 July 2009 - 17:09.

#14 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:02

The media have been saying for 3 years now that Kimi will retire. Eventually they will be right, but it's kind of ridiculous to keep repeating it month in month out.

Kimi isn't really the media's friend, and media attaicks him this way.

Yes, I keep saying kismet is due to get it right some day by repeatedly calling for him to be sacked.

#15 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:03

I think the motivation thing is just convenient BS that gets dragged up when an explanation is necessary and people don't really have it. The guy didn't seem any faster back in 2007 when he supposedly was still motivated.

If a Finnish person giving up drinking for an entire year is not a sign of motivation, I don't know what is... :p

#16 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:05

And yet, the only teammate he ever seemed comfortably faster than was an arguably off-form, possibly-past-his-sell-by-date David Coulthard. And the only teammate that never beat him over a season was an injured Juan Pablo Montoya.

Well any driver loses to his teammate sometimes. Eddie Irvine came in ahead of Michael Schumacher...

Kimi's record would look a lot different without those engine blowups at McLaren - 3x wdc he'd be alongside the greats.

#17 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:08

If a Finnish person giving up drinking for an entire year is not a sign of motivation, I don't know what is... :p

Reason is useless, people wil try to match "results" and wishful thinking. Let's see - Kimi started 9th and finished 8th at some race, while Massa drove from 11th to 4th. Quite clearly, Kimi is not motivated, otherwise why would he finish behind? Equally telling is another dismal performance by the demotivated Finn. Massa score a podium while Kimi doesn't even bring one point after giving up pushing midway through the race. Based on this "evidence" it's crystal clear to the unbiased observer that Kimi is slow, not motivated, and just plain pathetic. The firing squad cannot come soon enough. :clap:

#18 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:09

Yep; DC sucked. He barely managed to give 2-times champ Mika Häkkinen run for his money. JPM sucked too. He wasn´t injured in 2006, but since Kimi managed to beat him, something must have been wrong. Both weakling teammates, of course. Both only had some minor success in F1, like 2nd or 3rd places in the WDC, Monaco wins and stuff like that.

You know, using similar criteria...we could make Alonso suck, too. 2007, 2004, etc.

What have we learned? Neither Räikkönen or Alonso is all-powerful super driver who can never be beaten. Top F1 drivers are extremely close to each other in terms of talent and skill. It seems to you it was either Kimi the all-powerful driving God or Kimi the Chump. I´m sorry to tell you the news, such driver doesn´t exist. Or never did, in my opinion.

You are free to pick up the new hero...be it Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Vettel or somebody else. But let me warn you; unless that hero gets #1 status or "average" teammates, chances are you´ll end up discovering he too was ordinary mortal. Just like all of them.

Edited by Spunout, 14 July 2009 - 17:13.

#19 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:11

His time in Ferrari was not as good as it was at McLaren. That is just a fact. But I am glad Ferrari got him a championship he deserved, and could have had another one if the F2008 developments did not hurt him. He is as fast as ever, but the performance has not been what it was at McLaren for what ever reason. I hope he doesnt retire for one more year because Id like to see him back at McLaren for 1 more year then retire.

Im a rally fan anyways so I dont care if he is in F1 or not. I will be following him.

Advertisement

#20 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:16

Räikkönen to retire after 2009

Somebody in Italy prints an article of Kimi retiring.

Veikkaaja magazine from Finland quotes that article.

What follows is screaming headlines: "Finnish media: Räikkönen to retire after 2009!!!"

:D

#21 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:25

Yep; DC sucked. He barely managed to give 2-times champ Mika Häkkinen run for his money. JPM sucked too. He wasn´t injured in 2006, but since Kimi managed to beat him, something must have been wrong. Both weakling teammates, of course. Both only had some minor success in F1, like 2nd or 3rd places in the WDC, Monaco wins and stuff like that.

You know, using similar criteria...we could make Alonso suck, too. 2007, 2004, etc.

What have we learned? Neither Räikkönen or Alonso is all-powerful super driver who can never be beaten. Top F1 drivers are extremely close to each other in terms of talent and skill. It seems to you it was either Kimi the all-powerful driving God or Kimi the Chump. I´m sorry to tell you the news, such driver doesn´t exist. Or never did, in my opinion.

You are free to pick up the new hero...be it Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Vettel or somebody else. But let me warn you; unless that hero gets #1 status or "average" teammates, chances are you´ll end up discovering he too was ordinary mortal. Just like all of them.

I didn't say anything about Kimi sucking, though, did I? My point was that he wasn't that much faster/better than any of his previous teammates so why the **** was it seemingly taken for granted that he'd simply show up and dominate Massa (who, let's not forget, Sauber folks insisted was faster than Kimi to begin with)? I basically agreed with your earlier post where you said he never had a chance at Ferrari.

I basically believe Kimi's capable of beating anyone in F1 (and he has) but I'm not surprised when he doesn't. It happens. Even Schumacher wasn't unbeatable and very, very few are like Schumacher.

#22 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:45

I didn't say anything about Kimi sucking, though, did I? My point was that he wasn't that much faster/better than any of his previous teammates so why the **** was it seemingly taken for granted that he'd simply show up and dominate Massa (who, let's not forget, Sauber folks insisted was faster than Kimi to begin with)? I basically agreed with your earlier post where you said he never had a chance at Ferrari.

I basically believe Kimi's capable of beating anyone in F1 (and he has) but I'm not surprised when he doesn't. It happens. Even Schumacher wasn't unbeatable and very, very few are like Schumacher.

Well, I predicted it to be close at Ferrari. Massa has been even better than I expected, though. I guess the main reason for huge expectations was DC and JPM were top guns in F1, especially JPM was once seen as big thing. So...when Kimi beat them with clear margin in 2003-2005, it was believed - after Schumi left - he and Fernando (who beat Fisichella, then seen as top 5 material) MUST have been clear ahead of the rest. Even I was thinking "gee, if JPM and Fisi cannot match these guys...who can!?".

Well, now we know they never were as superior as it was believed back in 2006. I certainly agree with your assertion: pick up any pairing from say...Räikkönen/Massa/Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel and I have no clue about the result. It would be 50-50 to me, most likely after close battle. Hell, Button could well be as good as these guys. Webber is starting to look like match to Vettel. The list goes on and on.

I cannot understand why people are disappointed when nobody dominates in F1. That doesn´t mean we no longer have mythical Super Drivers (who never existed, IMO). That simply means we have exceptionally strong field, and we should be happy about that.

#23 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:48

All these rumors conveniently ignore the fact that both Raikkonen and Alonso had their contracts extended to the end of 2010 very recently. It would make 0 sense for Ferrari to buy Raikkonen out of his 010 contract and buy Alonso out of his 010 Renault contract, it's just too convoluted and messy, not to mention expensive.

#24 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:57

in f1 when you lose motivation, then your performance drops..., could be hes 80-90% of his glory days, but thats enough to drop him down abit

#25 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:06

in f1 when you lose motivation, then your performance drops..., could be hes 80-90% of his glory days, but thats enough to drop him down abit

You can be just as motivated and fast but the results could be worse. What could Kimi of 2005, for example, have done differenly in the Silverstone race given his start and fuel load/strategy? What could Kimi of 2004 have done on Sunday when he retired with yet another failure, just like he was used to for the better part of 2004?

#26 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:12

Finding rumours/stories that Kimi will retire is actually an easy task.

Heres one from April 2008
http://formula1sport...rement-rumours/

Here's one from May 2008
http://f1bits.wordpr...onen-to-retire/

Heres one from June 2008
http://www.zerotohun...tire-next-year/

Heres one from July 2008
http://www.formula1b...rumors-persist/

Heres one from August 2008
http://www.throttlen...en-retiring-40/

In fact, if I persist, I could probably find one for each month of last year and also this year.
Do a google search, you'll see what I mean.

#27 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:19

Personally I feel part of the problem was that he never got to grips with the spec bridgestone front tyres or the way the car behaved with them.

#28 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:20

Jeez, I didn't say anything about it. Just posted a news from a web site. I didn't make a comment on that. It's just another drop in the ocean of Raikkonen rumours/news.

Did you know that the expression on my face was the same as your avatar whilst I was reading what you quoted about Kimi - Posted Image

Yea I am just thankfull he finally won at least one title. So in a way it was job done. But yea last season could've been better I agree.

#29 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:23

Thanks for the links, I found an interesting quote for the experts who seem to know more than Ferrari management:

“I have heard this rumour and there is not a grain of truth to it,” [Domenicali] angrily told the Swiss publication Motorsport Aktuell.
“Kimi is motivated from head to toe and I know that he is not thinking of retiring,” he added.

#30 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 19:47

only had some minor success in F1, like 2nd or 3rd places in the WDC, Monaco wins and stuff like that.

lol

What have we learned? Neither Räikkönen or Alonso is all-powerful super driver who can never be beaten. Top F1 drivers are extremely close to each other in terms of talent and skill.

You're only like the 800th person to utter this truth on this message board...and soon we'll see the umpteenth time this truth is ignored....

#31 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 19:57

You're only like the 800th person to utter this truth on this message board...and soon we'll see the umpteenth time this truth is ignored....

Be careful: Spunout only started to blow that certain trumpet after Massa proved beyond all doubt that Spunouts idol Raikkonen is not the all-powerful super driver who can never be beaten... And since it is evident that his darling is no super driver, Spunout denies the existence of super drivers at all.

#32 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 20:11

Heres one from April 2008
http://formula1sport...rement-rumours/

Here's one from May 2008
http://f1bits.wordpr...onen-to-retire/

Heres one from June 2008
http://www.zerotohun...tire-next-year/

Heres one from July 2008
http://www.formula1b...rumors-persist/

Heres one from August 2008
http://www.throttlen...en-retiring-40/

In fact, if I persist, I could probably find one for each month of last year and also this year.
Do a google search, you'll see what I mean.

If you google Alonso to Ferrari, then Alonso to Mclaren and Alonso to Renault see which gives the highest results.

One gets more than the other 2 put together :lol:

#33 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 20:39

I dunno what it is wih Kimi but i get so frustrated seeing him trundle around in the bottom half of the top 10, behind Massa half the time.
This season hasnt even been that bad for him either. He's outqualifying Massa, scored Ferrari's first points of the season in Bahrain, first podium in Monaco, only front row start so far in Monaco, but then he geets the bad luck, for example in Britain, his strategy lef him high and dry when everyone else went longer, Malaysia who knows where he would have finished if they hadnt put wets on when it was bone dry :lol: , Spain he was all over Nick Heidfeld even though he was lumbered with KERS that wasnt working. I think he's still as motivated as ever and that he'll be well annoyed that Massa has had the better results recently.

#34 brabham bt50

brabham bt50

• 327 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:17

I think Kimi in 2007 did a great job, had luck, but did a great job, that's it, that's all there was, is and will be.

#35 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:30

I dunno what it is wih Kimi but i get so frustrated seeing him trundle around in the bottom half of the top 10, behind Massa half the time.
This season hasnt even been that bad for him either. He's outqualifying Massa, scored Ferrari's first points of the season in Bahrain, first podium in Monaco, only front row start so far in Monaco, but then he geets the bad luck, for example in Britain, his strategy lef him high and dry when everyone else went longer, Malaysia who knows where he would have finished if they hadnt put wets on when it was bone dry :lol: , Spain he was all over Nick Heidfeld even though he was lumbered with KERS that wasnt working. I think he's still as motivated as ever and that he'll be well annoyed that Massa has had the better results recently.

I think it's been nice to watch Kimi's attack this season. Result have not exactly been what was hoped but I see motivation, speed and attack there. I don't understand people who say he is ready to retire and constantly write him out of F1. They kind of try to create a second reality and begin to believe it repeating so many times.

#36 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:35

That headline is so misleading.

It should read "Finnish newspaper confirms Italian sources say Spanish sources say Raikkonen to retire". :p :lol:

#37 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:35

Basically, I'm of the opinion that under the right circumstances almost everyone in F1 today could beat almost everyone else, and I know Kimi can because he has, but this whole fastest-thing-in-F1 myth seems to be based on his one season alongside Montoya. Before that, I believe Kimi was quite widely seen as steady and solid but decidedly unspectacular while Juan Pablo was speed and excitement personified.

You keep on going On and On about Week teammates

So lets put Alonso in lime light now and see how good he was with his teammates

Alonso 2003 and 2004 beaten by Trulli

2005, 2006 he had a Lapdog named Fisi

2007 For the first time he had some fast and talented teammate......and he choked! Lewis beat him! Not even Kimi had beaten by a teammate like this

2008 2009 another lapdog with inferior car

It looks alonso sucks isnt it/

#38 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:52

He is a WDC though, that has to count for something.

I just don't think his time is up yet, I do think he has signed his final contract and that he will retire from F1 at the end of 2010 but for him to be replaced at the end of this year is almost absurd. He isn't exactly holding up his team and when it was required, he won the WDC and WCC. He wasn't as bad as people make out in 2008, yes he wasn't that good in comparison to his teammate but he still beta him on occasions.

In 2009, he scored the first points and landed the first podium. Hardly bad driving this year too.

#39 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:00

It should read "Finnish crap paper confirms Italian sources say Spanish sources say Raikkonen to retire". :p :lol:

I corrected it for you. The newspapers, such as Turun Sanomat, are denying any such rumors.

Advertisement

#40 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:01

If this storyis true I would cheer if he choose racing on other top seat instead of money from Ferrari. I cheer him in Mclaren with Hamilton.

#41 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:03

That was always an option for him, the McLaren even to this day would suit his style just as it does for Hamilton but I think he really wants Ferrari to be his last home and then to do some rallying, a sport which I think he enjoys more than F1.

#42 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:44

Well my theory is that they're really really close matched, and what you usually get then would be a 50/50 "win" ratio...

This year Kimi has been driving just as well as Massa. They've both have had their troubles with strategy and machinery and Kimi's been really unlucky these last two races. Held up the entire race in Silverstone and having the car break down in germany, one second behind Massa who finished on the podium. Give them both a trouble-free race and there will be little separating them at the end.

Kimi has his faults I'm sure, but I don't think his speed has left him. He has less points than Massa this year and the last, but it's got very little to do with his driving.

#43 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 23:05

If this storyis true I would cheer if he choose racing on other top seat instead of money from Ferrari. I cheer him in Mclaren with Hamilton.

It isn't true, it's just more media garbage

http://en.f1-live.co...715135630.shtml

People will always say he lacks motivation and/or isn't interested in F1 anymore, because they just don't understand Fins and their culture

#44 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:10

It isn't true, it's just more media garbage

http://en.f1-live.co...715135630.shtml

People will always say he lacks motivation and/or isn't interested in F1 anymore, because they just don't understand Fins and their culture

Indeed.

"Believe the team and the facts, not rumours," Domenicali added

:up:

#45 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:17

Keep dreaming if you think McLaren will give Lewis anything other than a numpty as a teammate.

#46 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:46

I don't think Kimi's days are numbered at all. When he finishes - and his DNFs are usually the result of mechcanical woes - he's usually pretty close to Massa, and he's ahrdly being out-raced by his supposed repalcement, Alonso.

#47 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:07

and he's hardly being out-raced by his supposed repalcement, Alonso.

Not that I really care either way, but Fernando is up three points on Kimi in a supposedly inferior car.

I'd say Fernando is looking peachier, at the moment.

#48 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:09

Not that I really care either way, but Fernando is up three points on Kimi in a supposedly inferior car.

I'd say Fernando is looking peachier, at the moment.

Given the way everyone expects Alonso to be going to Ferrari, you'd think that number would be closer to thirty.

#49 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:50

I've never understood why they couldn't give him a more pointy car that warmed its fronts a bit more and gripped on turn-in, that would have made all the difference. I think he's a driver who depended on his team/engineers to give him the car, rather than one who is into the setup and can guide them.

It's especially a mystery because Chris Dyer just had to give him the same car Michael would have wanted, though the difference in feedback and involvement must have been a bit of a shock I suppose. But evidently F1 cars have setup/design parameters beyond roll stiffness and what have you that made it impossible. Seems weird from the outside though, that they couldn't do it, Kimi was clearly meant to be the new star.

u seem to be the only one talking any sense here...completely agreed on the first comment...considering he was the star signing of 07,id expected ferrari to give him the car that he needed...kimi has always preferred cars with rigid pointy ends...front ends that he can ride into corners and worry about the rear later...gives him the neutral to oversteer setup he needs...and yet both 07,08 ferraris were the complete opposites...

people dont seem to realize these problems because kimi has never been one to publically discuss anything expect the usual ''dumb'' answers that he makes.infact if they wouldve given him the exact setup that MS had been using,it would have served better as MS and KR are similar in lots of respects..seems to me that after 06..the car development progresses in a completely opposite direction(much more in relevance with massa's style)...the car setup is the setup that u achieve thru months and months of testing when yer developing the car..once the baseline setup is achieved,u can only deviate very slightly before races by a few tweaks here and there..this is the ''race'' setup...

a race setup cannot alter any overwhelming tendencies that a car already has...both the 07,08 ferraris were understeering cars..no matter how much u try to alter the race setup...u can lessen the undesirable effect to a small degree but u would be never be able to completely make it suit u.

BUT yer not right about the car development issues..the same thing was discussed here a month back or so...kimi is as sensitive a car developer as there is around...infact his knowledge of techinical issues is astounding..since the very beginning of his racing career,his team owners were pretty much stunned by how much he knew about setting up cars ...there are dozens of quotes by people that have worked around him concerning his ability is this regard...the latest one was the Whitmarsh comment after the coulthard saga.
this would give u more insight of this here..read the quoted portion of the 2nd post of the thread to get the complete opening post..the comments on his development skills are further down the page posted by ''spamaster''
click here

to me the ferrari years have been the most painful to watch..infact id give anything to see him in a mclaren seat once again.

Edited by grunge, 16 July 2009 - 05:52.

#50 Megane

Megane

• 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:53

You keep on going On and On about Week teammates

So lets put Alonso in lime light now and see how good he was with his teammates

Alonso 2003 and 2004 beaten by Trulli

2005, 2006 he had a Lapdog named Fisi

2007 For the first time he had some fast and talented teammate......and he choked! Lewis beat him! Not even Kimi had beaten by a teammate like this

2008 2009 another lapdog with inferior car

It looks alonso sucks isnt it/

Take it easy mate...Don't you think you are losing control? Don't let the rage blind your common sense. If i have never heard of F1, after reading your post i would have thought that a certain Alonso is an useless driver but we all know it's not like that and it's considered by most F1 fans one of the three best out there, if not the best.

I don't know if you are and Alonsohater or an upset Kimi fan, but there is no reason to throw sh*t again a driver because of some rumors. Let's wait till is confirmed or not.

Meanwhile, take valium or get some fresh air. Be offline for a few weeks. It'll make you feel a bit better.

Peace :wave: