* * * * - 7 votes

A detailed look into UK F1 television ratings

• Please log in to reply
948 replies to this topic

#851 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:08

Might be connected to the fact that BBC have only had one live race out of 4 - any breakdown on the viewer distribution between the two channels?

I was thinking the same myself.

Advertisement

#852 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:10

How many countries have F1 on subscription only? If it's a fair few it could be killing the casual fan and more importantly new fans of the sport.

#853 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,456 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:14

Interesting and similar to the German ratings. They are also down by about 1 million compared to 2013. China had the lowest ratings of any F1 Grand Prix since RTL started to broadcast F1 (more then 20 years!!).

So not looking good for F1.

Hmm, where did you read that? 

The 3.91m (40.4%) percent figure in here doesn't look too bad, although admittedly there are no comparisons posted: http://www.quotenmet...in-publikumshit

#854 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:22

Hmm, where did you read that? 

The 3.91m (40.4%) percent figure in here doesn't look too bad, although admittedly there are no comparisons posted: http://www.quotenmet...in-publikumshit

Quotenmeter is the worst site to get a deep inside look.

Die Sonntagsspiele erzielten unterdessen Marktanteile von 3,7 und 4,7 Prozent, nachdem die Formel 1 am Vormittag bereits 3,6 Prozent eingefahren hatte. 270.000 Zuschauer sahen das Rennen aus China. Das waren 100.000 weniger als noch ein Jahr zuvor. Und auch für RTL ging es nach unten: Waren im vorigen Jahr noch knapp fünf Millionen Zuschauer dabei, so erreichte die Live-Übertragung diesmal nur noch 3,91 Millionen Zuschauer.

http://www.dwdl.de/z..._verliert_fans/

2013: 5m

2014: 3,91m

I have been following the German ratings (not only for F1) closely for years.

Edited by Tourgott, 21 April 2014 - 17:23.

#855 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,981 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:32

I think a drop in ratings is to be expected. F1 has lost a lot of excitement over the past year (at least for me) and I know several others who have stopped watching the sport recently.

I am sure the ratings will stay reasonable here in the UK, but it is obvious a select portion of viewers have simply turned off.  (For lots of reasons)

#856 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,866 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:31

But we have all those droves of new fans right? With the new rules and all? 

It is odd the first race also had lower ratings, you would expect people to be curious.

#857 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 4,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:43

It was probably a bit early in the morning for the casual viewer - especially as it was a Sky exclusive race. Maybe by they time BBC showed the highlights it was old news, especially for the twitter generation where it is much harder to avoid hearing the result than for those of us who rely on the 'steam radio'.

#858 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,461 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:52

I'm surprised by the consistent and significant drop in UK ratings. With Hamilton finally back in a consistently winning car I thought there would be a boost not a decline. Bahrain being a million down despite being aired at a better time of day is particularly interesting. 

What is putting people off? Is it still a side effect of one team dominating (Red Bull and Vettel previously, now Merc). Did that kill off the casual fans and they aren't bothered to come back?

#859 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:56

Leading F1 people repeatedly telling the world how shit F1 is probably hasn't helped.

Advertisement

#860 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 4,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:11

The highlights of Bahrain where on late on a Sunday night as it was a night race this year, and Sky do not allow the highlights to be shown too soon after the race.

I guess Bernie's bargaining point with the teams that 'there are 10m Sky viewers' is now coming home to roost. Cannot see UK based sponsors clamouring to sign up.

#861 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:14

What is putting people off?

A boring event spread over 3 days. People have better things to follow that give instant gratification in a couple of hours.

#862 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,545 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:46

A boring event spread over 3 days. People have better things to follow that give instant gratification in a couple of hours.

The race, the main attraction, only lasts a couple of hours even if you include peripheral coverage. That's no different to watching a film or partaking in a haze of drug-taking. If you take House of Cards, a key element of its success has been it's delivery of an entire season at a time. People are happy to spend the hours.

#863 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:11

The race, the main attraction, only lasts a couple of hours even if you include peripheral coverage. That's no different to watching a film or partaking in a haze of drug-taking. If you take House of Cards, a key element of its success has been it's delivery of an entire season at a time. People are happy to spend the hours.

Movies and TV series may have a different audience than sports. Bernie did try making the racing artificially exciting but that has slowly gone now too. You have 20 drivers finish the last race and nobody passed nobody for the most part. That has got to be bloody boring. When you only have 19 sporting weekends in a whole year, the races better be exciting with lots of passes, unexpected change of positions, etc. None of that happens anymore so almost every race is a yawn fest.

#864 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 15,180 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:21

On a more general not, how would a change in "viewing habits" (for want of a better word) be reflected in these ratings?

What I mean specifically is how much of the "drop" in TV viewers can/could be attributed to the fact, that some people watch a stream in the Internet, rather then the race in TV?

Here in NED F1 is pay TV, and as I rather watch it with knowledgeable British commentary I watch it at the BBC or 'Nigerian internet'. So far there's only been 1 live BBC broadcast, so......

#865 Schumster

Schumster

• 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:26

What are the chances of F1 ending back on ITV/BBC/C4 in 2018? One half thinks there might be a chance with those channels have free money to spend/losing sports coverage already and the other thinks that there is no chance as Sky have put a lot of effort into Sky F1 + they've just lost significant rights to BT for the Football.

#866 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,703 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:26

On a more general not, how would a change in "viewing habits" (for want of a better word) be reflected in these ratings?

What I mean specifically is how much of the "drop" in TV viewers can/could be attributed to the fact, that some people watch a stream in the Internet, rather then the race in TV?

Are these numbers, and that is how I understand them, based on TV audience only, or do the include live streams as well?

There is a fair chance, that F1 and motorsport in general may loses followers, but on the other hand, it could be a case of a shift in "consumer sentiment" as in "how" to consume the sport.

To ascertain, if this is the case, one would perhaps need to take a broader view on "sport in TV" in general, if they "suffer" a similar faith, then F1 may don't "lose" followers, but TV is losing it's charm &/or the way people consume the product sport just changes.

Are there many opportunities to watch F1 legally online? I don't think 10-20% of the audience suddenly is watching a torrent or third party stream rather than on TV. For starters, why would they?

#867 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:40

One suggestion as to the drop in UK viewers ...

The vast majority of viewers are watching via the BBC

The BBC have only been showing delayed highlights for most of the races so far

The BBC have not really been promoting their coverage in terms of advertising clips between peak programs

The BBC cannot seem to avoid giving the result away to their viewers before they show the race - unless you hide from the world completely for a few hours, you're going to find out that Mercedes did actually win as easily as they were suggesting beforehand and that might be a disincentive to watching.

I get the impression the BBC just want rid of F1. I don't remember them being this apathetic about their coverage in previous years.

#868 P123

P123

• 16,135 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:42

Leading F1 people repeatedly telling the world how **** F1 is probably hasn't helped.

That will be part of it- Ecclestone (the 'master promoter'...) and his Gerald Ratner moment. Also general apathy carried over from the latter half of 2013 and a lack of promotion of the sport in mainstream media. Only one race has been a real thriller too. At the moment it's buried on pay TV with only 1 live race on the BBC to date, so the sport is fishing in a small pool for casual viewers who won't be eager to watch something they've been told is terrible by the guy selling it.

#869 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,703 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:47

maybe for the same reason, that people download "free" music, videos, books and magazines from the Internet as well?

maybe because they can, maybe it's more convenient (see post above), maybe moral goes to the dogs - dunno, lot's of possible reasons. 

IMHO

I'll torrent a race if I'm not in the right time zone or somewhere with a crappy TV package. But not when I lived in the UK. 

I think the 'summer' season will be telling, now that we're back in the normal time window and will have some live BBC races. Plus a regular British winner by the looks of it.

#870 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,545 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:48

Are there many opportunities to watch F1 legally online? I don't think 10-20% of the audience suddenly is watching a torrent or third party stream rather than on TV. For starters, why would they?

Younger people want to consume television on their terms (on demand) rather than on those of Cable providers. Providers are only really just now changing their content delivery/business models (i.e. House of Cards) in the face of pirating. The same goes for music. I don't doubt that the move to Sky has seen an increase in consumption of F1 via black market means. This doesn't explain the drop between seasons since that move, however.

#871 P123

P123

• 16,135 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:04

2013 F1 ratings - overnight figures (Sky figures for similar slot to BBC's)
Average - 4.11m (up 127k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.42m (up 209k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 685k (down 82k on 2012)

1st Half comparison
Average - 4.58m (up 460k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.81m (up 600k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 770k (down 85k on 2012)

2nd Half comparison

Average - 3.59m (down 300k on 2012)
BBC F1 - 3.00m (down 230k on 2012)
Sky F1 - 590k (down 69k on 2012)

Seems to confirm that we have apathy carrying over from the latter half of 2013- quite a swing from the first half of 2013.

How are the Sky figures fairing DMN? They have had exclusive live coverage of 3 of the 4 races so far. I also notice that China was live on the BBC last year, but not this year, which may go some way to explaining the difference (along with the continuing trend of  generally predictable races and the promoter promoting the sport as ****, etc).

#872 nicholasc

nicholasc

• 329 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:29

Younger people want to consume television on their terms (on demand) rather than on those of Cable providers. Providers are only really just now changing their content delivery/business models (i.e. House of Cards) in the face of pirating. The same goes for music. I don't doubt that the move to Sky has seen an increase in consumption of F1 via black market means. This doesn't explain the drop between seasons since that move, however.

With the increased availability of media (legal and not-so-legal) today's consumer has more choices too and this then allows consumers to be more relativistic in their choices.

Whereas in the past the choice might have been between F1 and a couple of other options, the choice now is between F1 and whatever-you-want.

I don't think the overall package that F1 offers has changed too much but the world is changing around it in ways that affect it's relative attractiveness.

Edited by nicholasc, 22 April 2014 - 01:31.

#873 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,545 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:28

No doubt that accounts for many more lost viewers, as I imagine only the relatively small proportion of enthusiasts would bother seeking an F1 illegal stream/torrent.

#874 OS X

OS X

• 205 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:10

I think there will also be a few people who have a situation like mine. I have Sky HD and Sky Sports and everything but I cannot justify monopolising the family room television to watch an event that I am not super-motivated to watch. I'd rather give up the main television to my other family members and listen on radio or avoid the race altogether and download a torrent later and connect a laptop into my bedroom TV.

#875 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,456 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 17:56

For the record, here is how the F1 has rated this year, race on race:

Australia - down 3%
Malaysia - down 17% (BBC live in 2014 vs highlights in 2013)
Bahrain - down 23% (BBC highlights on BBC Two due to race starting later this year)
China - down 21% (BBC live in 2013 vs highlights in 2014)
Spain - up 9%
Monaco - up 11%
Canada - up 1%

#876 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 89 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:29

Hello everyone!

As a new forum member, I don't know, if I do trespass or even break some rules about replying this old topic because it's as old as it is and hopefully I'm not, but I still decided to put some my own BBC Ratings from the past and from the different seasons.

Those ratings which I don't have or are unknown to me as of now, I will put a question mark at them, but otherwise I will mark them as normally. Ratings are mostly full race ratings even though some of them have only highlights ratings because they were seen in UK as a highlights and some of the races have Re-run ratings as well.

So, here they are even though I do have next to nothing ratings from the 1995 season:

Update: I did found my old ratings mostly from the seasons of 1996-2001 so after a quick think moment, I've decided to put those ratings in this same reply so there won't be unnecessary replies any further.

A New Update: I did found British Grand Prix ratings from the years of 2002-2003 and 2005-2006 and few other Grand Prix ratings such as German Grand Prix, Hungarian Grand Prix and European Grand Prix as well from those years, accurate or at least the most accurate season average for the 1999 season, 2006 Malaysian Grand Prix Combined Race Coverage rating and also rating for the 1998 Italian Grand Prix so I decided to update them to this message too.

A New Update again: After some little more searching, I was able to find some more information for some old races and for the different seasons, but following information is still unsure until further notice and it is concerning about 1993 European Grand Prix, 1995 German Grand Prix, 1996 Italian Grand Prix and 2001 Japanese Grand Prix. I will also bring in some of 1995 races and their infos as well even though most of those races apart from 1995 Spanish Grand Prix and 1995 German Grand Prix are from this site.

Minor Update: I managed to find out ratings for 2002 Japanese Grand Prix, 2004 San Marino Grand Prix, 2004 French Grand Prix and 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix. There are a couple of uncertain ratings as well. Uncertain ratings are for 2002 French Grand Prix and 2006 San Marino Grand Prix. Sensationally, I also managed to find 2003 Japanese Grand Prix Live Race Coverage rating, but sadly not Race Re-run ratings. Source for that all turned out to be The Guardian Overnights. I will update them right away.

A New Minor Update: I managed to find out ratings for 1996 Hungarian Grand Prix, 1997 Hungarian Grand Prix and provisional ratings for the 1997 Japanese Grand Prix. Sadly I wasn't able to find any info for 1998 Hungarian Grand Prix as of yet or clarify the situations of 1996 Japanese Grand Prix or 1997 Japanese Grand Prix. I will still update the ratings immediately.

A New Minor Update again: After some searching, I managed to find out some numbers for some seasons complete race season averages, one unsure and also a possible minimum rating for 1999 European Grand Prix, 1998 Hungarian Grand Prix ratings and most importantly at least for time being, 2001 Japanese Grand Prix Live Race Coverage Ratings and Race Re-run Ratings for some certainity even though margin of error still lurks nearby and if anyone really has any better or far more accurate ratings, just tell me so I will fix possible mistakes or you can of course always send a private message. Still the accurate situations for the 1996 Italian Grand Prix, 1996 Japanese Grand Prix and 1997 Japanese Grand Prix remain it's uncleared state. However as of now, I will update the current situations of things. 

Very Minor Update: 2003 San Marino Grand Prix and it's respective ratings from ITV have been discovered after hard searching. That searching also gave some light for the 2002 French Grand Prix situation even though sadly not much more information for it's ratings were found. It's Qualifying however, had 2 million viewers and it said to be almost as popular to watch like the race for all of it's problems. That race certainly had embarrasing effects for the ITV at time which regulary tried to enlarge it's viewership of the race. However, I will now update the ratings from the 2003 San Marino Grand Prix immediately.

A Very Minor Update: I have made some calculations for a couple of races from 2006. These are 2006 Australian Grand Prix and 2006 Malaysian Grand Prix. Even though their real exact ratings are currently missing, still I could reliably calculate their most likely ratings for their respective years. I also might include this or for the next update possible ratings for the 2006 Chinese Grand Prix as well even though they could only be found, if these races and 2006 San Marino Grand Prix ratings can be found more accurately. I will update calculations for Melbourne and Sepang from that year immediately even though they will still have two different ratings because of the calculations. Also as an added bonus, I will include some 2006 Chinese Grand Prix possible figures for the first time for their own respective ratings even though they are now as for time being Combined Race Coverage only and these are only counted for because of the possible 2006 Australian Grand Prix Re-run Coverage average ratings and of the possible 2006 San Marino Grand Prix average when using for Melbourne's new possible Re-run Coverage average ratings.

Major Update: Finally, I have acquired some very important and accurate ratings from the 1996 Italian Grand Prix, 2004 Bahrain Grand Prix, 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix, 2005 Bahrain Grand Prix, 2005 Australian Grand Prix accurate ratings for the Live Coverage and for the Re-run Coverage, 2005 Malaysian Grand Prix, 2005 San Marino Grand Prix, 2006 Malaysian Grand Prix accurate ratings for the Live Coverage and for the Re-run Coverage, some clearing for the 2006 Australian Grand Prix ratings and some clearing for the 2006 San Marino Grand Prix. Therefore, some old ratings and text for their information will change and some of it will be erased for the process. This possible erase is done for text and character mark space making purposes. I will also add some possible information for the 2003 French Grand Prix, 2003 San Marino Grand Prix, for the 2004 Chinese Grand Prix, 2005 Chinese Grand Prix, for the 2006 Chinese Grand Prix and for the first possible, provisional Combined Ratings of the 1996 Japanese Grand Prix as well. Don't hesitate to mention, if some of these stated ratings are wrong. I will update mentioned ratings immediately.

Another Major Update: I have found some more races from the 1995 season so I will expand season title for that season as well for the first time so now 1992-2006 are all somewhat available henceforth even though there still will be some question marks for some races.

A Very Minor Update again: I have managed to found out the 1992 Japanese Grand Prix as a Highlights even though like in the 1992 Australian Grand Prix it's position is peculiar because of the possible another highlights programme so I will only mark it as a Race because this race was probably seen in UK only as a Highlights in first place. If you do have any more new information, please tell me about that.

Another Very Minor Update again: I have managed to track down the accurate Live Race Coverage ratings from the 1996 Australian Grand Prix and I will also update 1996 Japanese Grand Prix Combined Ratings as a result of this even though still the Race Coverage and Re-run Coverage ratings are missing as their own respective ratings.

Very Minor Update yet again: I have managed to track down respective ratings for the 1996 Japanese Grand Prix Race Coverage and 1996 Japanese Grand Prix Re-run Coverage. I will update them for their respective season.

Major Update again: I have discovered 2003 Malaysian Grand Prix ratings in their full glory. This leaves room only for uncertain 2003 French Grand Prix ratings and also for unsure 2003 Japanese Grand Prix ratings. However, I will update 2003 Malaysian Grand Prix ratings immediately.

Major Update yet again: I have discovered 2000 Australian Grand Prix Race Re-run and 2000 Malaysian Grand Prix Race Re-run viewing figures. Sadly there was no mention for Malaysian Grand Prix Live Coverage viewing figures or Japanese Grand Prix Race Re-run viewing figures and also Malaysian Grand Prix Race Re-run viewing figures are uncertain for time being so I will mark them a little bit more differently than usual.

Major Update once more: I have discovered some new ratings for a few different Grand Prix from the years of 1993-1995 seasons, but sadly question marks will remain some races and also those ratings are tentative aside for a possible 1993 Belgian Grand Prix. New Japanese Grand Prix and Australian Grand Prix ratings are also absolute Combined Race Ratings.

Minor Update once more: I have decided to put some ratings borders so they will remove those question marks now almost completely even though not at all of them as of yet. There will be a few different Grand Prix to update for. 1998 Japanese Grand Prix ratings are the most absolute Combined Race Ratings.

Kyalami: 4,19 million

Mexico City: 4,61 million

Interlagos: 6,04 million

Barcelona: 3,99 million

Imola: 3,11 million (Race rating.)

Monaco: 6,13 million

Montreal: 3,99 million

Magny-Cours: Anything at range of 5,45 million-6,28 million? (These ratings are heavily tentative ratings and they could easily change. Ratings could have been big because this race was seen on BBC1. Also the latter rating is actually the line of BBC1 30th best placed programme and French Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Silverstone: 8,14 million

Hockenheim: 6,02 million

Hungaroring: 5,09 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 4,75 million (Could have mistaken with 1998 ITV Ratings which is same...)

Monza: 4,59 million

Estoril: Under 1,62 million and 1,87 million? (That is sadly thing for 1992 Portuguese Grand Prix for now since Race ratings for that day are missing and they have been very hard to find. Also forementioned line is actually the line of BBC2 30th best placed programme and Portuguese Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing. Any help for this race is appreciated what comes to it's race ratings. Aftermentioned ratings are actually Highlights ratings for that particular race which I discovered recently)

Suzuka: 1,3 million as a Race (Possible Re-run rating missing unless it was only seen as a highlights at first place and if so then I do have right ratings for that after all.)

Adelaide: 2,12 million as a Re-run (Possible Race rating missing unless it was only seen as a highlights at first place and if so then I do have right ratings for that after all.)

Race ratings average was said to be around 5,1 million for 16 race season.

Kyalami: 3,18 million

Interlagos: 4,27 million

Donington: Anything at range of 1,74 million-4,25 million with a peak number of viewers of 3-5 million region? (I sadly have only some very unsure ratings about this race. I'm placing my bets to that this particular race had it's viewers only around of 3-5 million region and not certainly 6,07 million viewers. Unless of course it's the very peak of viewers and I personally think that possible peak of viewers, 6,07 million as said before, falls most likely the category of 1993 British Grand Prix and for it's peak number of viewers rather than for 1993 European Grand Prix.

Those new ratings are based for the BBC2 Top 30 Programmes 30th most watched programme borderline which European Grand Prix with it's barest minimum number of viewers weren't even close by and for the possible Sunday Grandstand live race coverage startup time unless that rating was just for the pre-race and not the actual race coverage itself since in many different magazines it was written that particular rating was recorded any time between 12.30-14 o' clock when the European Grand Prix for that year was started. This race ratings remains to be a difficult challenge indeed to track down.)

Imola: 4,44 million

Barcelona: 3,64 million

Monaco: Anything at range of 3,72 million-5,1 million? (This is assumed rating range and only real, if 1995 Monaco Grand Prix really had either of 3,51 million viewers or 4,46 million viewers. Also it was never near for the top for 23.5.1993 BBC1 Top Programmes List provided by BARB. Line for BBC1 Top Programmes that day was for as an example and for Top 5 Most Watched Programmes 13,67 million viewers. Any help for this race is appreciated what comes to it's ratings. Even though there were a few other ratings as mentioned earlier.)

Montreal: Under 3,39 million? (That is sadly thing for 1993 Canadian Grand Prix for now since Race ratings for that day are missing and they have been very hard to find. This line is based for 13.6.1993 BBC2 Top Programmes List provided by BARB. Any help for this race is appreciated what comes to it's ratings.)

Magny-Cours: Anything at range of 3,95 million-4,86 million and 1,72 million? (Aftermentioned ratings are for the Highlights only, Race ratings are missing even though, if other race ratings could be found then there is a possibility to get ratings for this race as well. These mentioned supposed race ratings are heavily tentative ratings and they could easily change. Ratings could have been big because this race was seen on BBC1. Also the firstmentioned ratings are actually from just under the lines of BBC1 30th best placed programme and French Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Silverstone: 5,78 million

Hockenheim: 3,80 million

Hungaroring: Under 1,40 million and 2,15 million? (Aftermentioned ratings are for the Highlights only, Race ratings are missing. That mentioned supposed race rating is based for 15.8.1993 BBC2 Top 30 Programmes and Hungarian Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Spa-Francorchamps: 1,34 or 2,23 million for the race and 1,96 million for the highlights (This possible race ratings have been curious to find out. Either it was just outside of the Top 30 Programmes List or that it was actually that high. My reasons assuming for latter rating is that Belgian Grand Prix for that year did come included to Grandstand and when the programme started at 12.30 o' clock on BBC2 then it immediately did show Formula 1 and programme did peaked it's highest rating. However, even if this all could have wrong then at least there is always those Highlights ratings which actually had 1,96 million viewers rather than the earlier 1,95 million viewers.)

Monza: 4,60 million

Estoril: Anything at range of 4,75 million-6,27 million and 2,07 million (Aftermentioned ratings are for the Highlights only, Race ratings are missing even though if found, then maybe it's possible to find 1992 race ratings as well. Those mentioned supposed race ratings are heavily tentative ones and they still could pretty easily change. They are also for their best just under stated BBC1 30th programme based for 26.9.1993 BBC1 Top 30 Programmes list and Portuguese Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Suzuka: 2,89 million (It was seen as Highlights only, if I'm not very much mistaken.)

Adelaide: 2,86 million (It was seen as Highlights only, if I'm not very much mistaken.)

Race rating average for this season was said to be around 4 million, about 3,9 or 3,8 million for 16 race season.

Interlagos: 3,50 million

TI Circuit Aida: 2,42 million (It was seen as Highlights only, if I'm not very much mistaken.)

Imola: 3,53 million (Race rating.)

Monaco: 3,82 million

Barcelona: 3,44 million

Montreal: 4,23 million

Magny-Cours: Anything at range of 3,5 million-4,1 million? (These ratings are heavily tentative ratings and they could easily change. Ratings could have been big because this race was seen on BBC1. Also the latter rating is actually very well below the line of BBC1 10th best placed programme. The 5th best placed programme for example had the audience of 10,45 million viewers and 10th best placed programme had 6,13 million viewers at least according to my sources unless they were wrong about it. How much French Grand Prix really had viewers back then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Silverstone: 4,88 million

Hockenheim: 3,48 million

Hungaroring: 3,51 million? (This rating is based for the line of BBC2 10th best placed programme and it could be well below it unless my sources were wrong about it. If so, it maybe had a somewhat more viewers back then, but not for too many viewers since it was in back of 1994 and that particular season never did quite had a really big number of viewers unless excluding European Grand Prix from the count. Searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Spa-Francorchamps: 3,62 million

Monza: 4,56 million

Estoril: 4,82 million

Jerez: 5,56 million

Suzuka: Approximately 3,79 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (There could be a much lower ratings for it. This rating limit is based on 6.11.1994 BBC2 Top Programmes and it weren't most likely anywhere near of it. Hopefully more accurate ratings for it could be found in future.)

Adelaide: 1,5 million as a Live coverage and 2,03 million as a Re-run

Average season rating for a 16 race season was 4,1 million.

1995 (All European races have been found except Hungaroring have only a tentative ratings, still the really precise viewership average for the Hockenheim is still missing, recently discovered ratings for Monaco Grand Prix could have been mix-up with Spanish Grand Prix ratings and TI Circuit Aida and for it's possible Live Race Coverage and for it's Re-run are present as ever even though Live Race Coverage Ratings will be updated and maybe Suzuka and Adelaide ratings can be found in future even though there will be some tentative ratings for them for the first time.)

Interlagos: 5,90 million

Buenos Aires: 5,56 million

Imola: 5,25 million

Barcelona: 3,51 million or 4,46 million (Also this race was mentioned to have 4,46 million viewers in some BARB Top Programmes Lists. That of course means problems with 1995 Monaco Grand Prix ratings, because before and actually for many years I only think of it as a peak number of ratings and not as a possible average ratings.  :( )

Monaco: Either a 3,51 million or 4,46 million? (This race have been recently discovered, but also there could have been a mix-up with 1995 Spanish Grand Prix so either it had a better race rating than Barcelona or most likely as for no did not had a better race rating than Barcelona. More accurate ratings would definately be more helpful for this matter.)

Montreal: 4,91 million

Magny-Cours: 3,80 million

Silverstone: 6,40 million

Hockenheim: 4,97-5,15 million? (This is very unsure rating even though it was said to be have around 5 million viewers and ratings are based on my calculations and also overnight ratings back then. I will rectify this rating immediately if these ratings are wrong.)

Hungaroring: 3,78 million-6,54 million? (These ratings are heavily tentative ratings and they could easily change. Ratings could have been big because this race was seen on BBC1. Also the latter rating is actually the line of BBC1 10th best placed programme and Hungarian Grand Prix was below it. How much then, it wasn't sadly said so searching for a precise ratings is continuing.)

Spa-Francorchamps: 5,44 million

Monza: 5,51 million

Estoril: 5,77 million

Nürburgring: 6,12 million

TI Circuit Aida: 2 million for Live Race Coverage and 1,66 million for Re-run (Live Race Coverage is still very unsure even though I decided to update it because for it's better said ratings and mark it there until further notice or better information about this rating. Re-run was said to be one of the most abysmal and lowest ratings for a Grand Prix in England even though in the early 1990s there were even more poor ratings.)

Suzuka: Approximately 3,97 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (There could be a much lower ratings for it. This rating limit is based on 29.10.1995 BBC2 Top Programmes and it weren't most likely anywhere near of it. Hopefully more accurate ratings for it could be found in future.)

Adelaide: Approximately 3,46 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (There could be a much lower ratings for it. This rating limit is based on 12.11.1995 BBC2 Top Programmes and it weren't most likely anywhere near of it. Hopefully more accurate ratings for it could be found in future.)

Viewership average for this 17 race long season was said to be 4,5 million viewers on average.

Melbourne: 773 000 viewers as Live race coverage and 3,23 million for a Re-run coverage

Interlagos: 5,68 million

Buenos Aires: 6,08 million

Nürburgring: 5,50 million

Imola: 5,04 million

Monaco: 6,73 million

Barcelona: 4,81 million

Montreal: 4,09 million

Magny-Cours: 5,38 million

Silverstone: 5,59 million

Hockenheim: 5,63 million

Hungaroring: 5,15 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 5,40 million

Monza: 5,10 million

Estoril: 6,70 million

Suzuka: 1,6 million as Live race coverage and 2,317 million for a Re-run coverage

Average season rating for 16 races was said to be 5,3 million viewers.

Melbourne: 1,15 million as Live race coverage and 3,34 million for a Re-run coverage

Interlagos: 6,84 million

Buenos Aires: 6,05 million

Imola: 4,15 million

Monaco: 5,23 million

Barcelona: 3,21 million

Montreal: 5,92 million

Magny-Cours: 3,59 million

Silverstone: 5,02 million

Hockenheim: 3,49 million

Hungaroring: 4,16 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 4,32 million

Monza: 3,83 million

A1-Ring: 3,71 million

Nürburgring: 3,61 million

Suzuka: 3,36 million as a Live Coverage and 3,35 million as a Re-run coverage (This rating could change in future and there were many rumours for this particular race and it's most biggest rating were up to 6,71 million viewers even though I think that only as of a Combined Race Coverage ratings rather than itself because otherwise that could have been a huge rating for an Asian race.)

Jerez: 5,68 million

Average season rating for 17 races will be updated and it was marginally better than in 1995 season which ratings were around 4,5 million viewers so the 1997 season had 4,51 million viewers.

Melbourne: 3,82 million (Re-run only since sadly I don't have Live Ratings for that race even though I have heard rumours about it being around region of 873 000 viewers?)

Interlagos: 6,05 million

Buenos Aires: 6,23 million

Imola: 4,57 million

Barcelona: 3,60 million

Monaco: 3,90 million

Montreal: 7,24 million

Magny-Cours: Under 9,51 million? (There will be a much lower ratings for it. Almost certainly even lower ratings than in Montreal for sure. Even though what small scraps of infomation I have been able to find out recently it was stated that it still had quite a good number of viewers watching this race for a French Grand Prix so I guess that it had something around 5 million or even as much as of a 6 million viewers. This rating limit is based on 28.06.1998 ITV Top Programmes and it weren't most likely anywhere near of it. Hopefully more accurate ratings for it could be found in future.)

Silverstone: 5,87 million

A1-Ring: 3,94 million

Hockenheim: 3,87 million

Hungaroring: 4,08 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 4,75 million

Monza: 4,65 million

Nürburgring: 5,15 million

Suzuka: Approximately 7,06 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (There could be and certainly has a much lower ratings for it. It could quite a low, on par with Australian Grand Prix and maybe have a lesser amount of viewers or more viewers than the Australian Grand Prix, but because this race was a championship decider, it could have had more viewers than usual for a Japanese Grand Prix. Even still I doubt that it hadn't as much viewers than in probably French Grand Prix did have. This rating limit is based on 1.11.1998 ITV Top 30 Programmes and it weren't most likely anywhere near of it. Hopefully more accurate ratings for it could be found in future.)

Average season rating for this season has been tracked down to be 4,81 million viewers for 16 races.

Melbourne: 3,88 million as a Live coverage and 1,23 million as a Re-run

Interlagos: 7,52 million

Imola: 3,59 million

Monaco: 3,95 million

Barcelona: 3,69 million

Montreal: 6,38 million

Magny-Cours: 4,80 million

Silverstone: 5,15 million

A1-Ring: 3,99 million

Hockenheim: 3,88 million

Hungaroring: 4,38 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 3,55 million

Monza: 3,76 million

Nürburgring: Anything at range of 2,62 million-4,54 million? (Forementioned number of viewers is the minimum number of viewers and aftermentioned number of viewers is the maximum number of viewers. These two ratings have one common thing: They both do count their respective final season average of the 1999 season and only if Australian Grand Prix Re-run, Malaysian Grand Prix Re-run and Japanese Grand Prix Re-run are counted for the final season average ratings. Otherwise 1999 European Grand Prix had  any number of viewers between those two ratings and hopefully this rating can be eventually found even though i will update it immediately if it's being wrong.)

Sepang: 1,63 million as a Live coverage and 2,68 million as a Re-run

Suzuka: 1,48 million as a Live coverage and 2,72 million as a Re-run

Average season rating for 16 races was said to be around region of 4,55 million viewers, but also it's been discovered to maybe have only as little of as 4,43 million viewers.

Melbourne: 1,08 million as a Live coverage and 2,94 million as a Re-run

Interlagos: 7,37 million

Imola: 4,06 million

Silverstone: 4,75 million

Barcelona: 4 million viewers exact

Nürburgring: 4,85 million

Monaco: 4,98 million

Montreal: 4,37 million

Magny-Cours: 3,70 million

A1-Ring: 3,24 million

Hockenheim: 3,85 million

Hungaroring: 3,68 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 3,72 million

Monza: 3,77 million

Indianapolis: 2,55 million

Suzuka: 2,14 million and as a Re-run? (Sadly Re-run figures from this race weekend are still missing.)

Sepang: ? as a Live coverage and 1,75 million as a Re-run? (Sadly there was no mention for a Live coverage viewing figures and even as a Re-run my acquired figures could have been misleading ones unless there is certain proof around them some where on the web or the other printed sources.)

Average season rating for 17 races were said to be around 4 million viewers or little above it, up to approximately 4,3 million viewers. Even though that season could have had only as little season average as of 3,93 million viewers.

Melbourne 830 000 viewers as a Live coverage and 3,59 million as a Re-run

Sepang: 1,64 million viewers as a Live coverage and 2,36 million as a Re-run

Interlagos: 6,20 million

Imola: 4,18 million

Barcelona: 3,69 million

A1-Ring: 3,42 million

Monaco: 3,92 million

Montreal: 6,17 million

Nürburgring: 3,14 million

Magny-Cours: 3,13 million

Silverstone: 3,72 million

Hockenheim: 3,03 million

Hungaroring: 3,38 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 3,64 million

Monza: 3,02 million

Indianapolis: 5,66 million

Suzuka: 1,2 million viewers as a Live coverage and 2,08 million as a Re-run (Re-run almost surely had a 2,08 million viewers.)

Average season rating for 17 race season were said to be a little under or exact 4 million, nigh over and higher than 1993 season or just little under it and it was also said to have lesser amount of viewers than in 2000 season which has been almost positively revealed to be true. Season average ratings as of now, as it's lowest possible average ratings, had 3,83 million viewers for 17 race season on average and otherwise higher, up to 4 million viewers for 17 race season on average when as the 1993 season complete average number of viewers was lower, most heard season average for that season were 3,78 million viewers for 16 races even though it could be up to 3,8 million as of about it's maximum. And of course it could have had an average to be also as low as 3,7 million viewers or even lower even though even it's lowest estimated number of season average were higher than in 2002 season. 

PS. I also did found my last ratings season and it's from 2002 even though some of those ratings are unsure:

Melbourne: 3,41 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Actual Live Race Coverage had a 580 000 viewers and Re-run had a 2,83 million viewers.)

Sepang: 3,97 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Actual Live Race Coverage had a 1,62 million viewers and Re-run had a 2.35 million viewers.)

Interlagos: 5,94 million

Imola: 3,43 million

Barcelona: 3,72 million

A1-Ring: 3,25 million

Monaco: 4,16 million

Montreal: 5,74 million

Nürburgring: 3,20 million

Silverstone: 3,40 million

Magny-Cours: 1,61 million-2,40 million? (French Grand Prix was said to have a lower, more abysmal viewership rating than a year before and it most likely were below 3 million viewers unless I'm very much mistaken and The Guardian Overnights info could be missleading and it were not precisely stated by it's real average viewership even though it's peak level of 3,6 million was mentioned. After all I still decided to put it there even though it's still very much uncertain even though this race can well be the almost the worst French Grand Prix by it's viewership not counting early 1990s French Grand Prix of course. According to my new sources, French Grand Prix Qualifying for this year had 2 million viewers and it was said to be almost as popular as the race itself which is quite of an statement.)

Hockenheim: 2,56 million

Hungaroring: 2,77 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 2,39 million

Monza: 2,85 million

Indianapolis: 4,5 million

Suzuka: 2,6 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Actual Live Race had a 600 000 viewers and a Re-run had a 2 million viewers.)

This season was said to have 3,5 million viewers on average for 17 race season where as in 2003 there were 3,2 million viewers on average.

PPS. I have decided to put some ratings from the years of 2003-2006 as well. They are mostly from this thread even though few of the following ratings are also from other different sites around the web. Hopefully character board will not get overthrown by this action of mine. If so, I will make a another reply.

So here are my findings from the years of 2003-2006 and any information for these ratings are appreciated:

Melbourne: 4,02 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new info, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were 3,6 million and Re-run Coverage had 0,42 million even though that could be other way around too.)

Sepang: 3,09 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new info, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were 1,4 million and Re-run Coverage had 1,69 million. Also when discovered, the article describing 2003 Malaysian Grand Prix also threw comparisons to the 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix. Interestingly 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix Live Race Coverage had the same peak number of audience as for the 2003 Malaysian Grand Prix had it's normal Live Race Coverage which of course was 1,4 million. Re-run Coverage in the other hand, had actually lesser number of viewers than in 2004 which viewership were 1,69 million for it's bare minimum number of viewers when it was mostly reported to have 2,02 million viewers.)

Interlagos: 7,08 million

Imola: 3,53 million (This race had a lesser amount of viewers than what I previously thought it had. Then it only had 100 000 viewers more than 2002 San Marino Grand Prix had.)

Barcelona: 3,20 million

A1-Ring: 3,65 million

Monaco: 3,76 million

Montreal: 3,99 million

Nürburgring: 2,80 million

Magny-Cours: Anything at range of 2-3 million? (This particular French Grand Prix was said to have a similiar or better rating than 2002 French Grand Prix, but it was still rated to have lesser amount of viewers than 2001 French Grand Prix likewise the 2002 French Grand Prix had. Some information snippets also dictated that this particular French Grand Prix had even lesser amount of viewers than 2002 French Grand Prix. Any new information for this particular French Grand Prix is always appreciated.)

Silverstone: 3,13 million

Hockenheim: 2,91 million

Hungaroring: 2,73 million

Monza: 2,96 million

Indianapolis: 5,44 million

Suzuka: 1 million exact (Only for Live Race Coverage since sadly there wasn't any mention about Re-run figures.)

Average viewership rating for a 16 race season was 3,2 million.

Melbourne: 2,96 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new information, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were 2,7 million and Re-run Coverage had 0,26 million even though that could be other way around too.)

Sepang: 3,02 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new information, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were almost surely 1 million exact for this race and Re-run Coverage had 2,02 million even though that could be other way around too. Like Bahrain Grand Prix, if this particular rating has something wrong for it or if there is more information available for it, go for it and please do tell me of that.)

Sakhir: 3,62 million (Some newspapers also mentioned about 3,71 million viewers for the first and inaugural Bahrain Grand Prix, but I think that was only for it's peak number of viewers and also because almost all the other newspaper had listed this particular race only have that already mentioned number of 3,62 million viewers and none above it. If I'm being wrong, I will rectify that matter immediately when requested to do so.)

Imola: 2,6 million

Barcelona: 3,04 million

Monaco: 3,19 million

Nürburgring: 2,79 million

Montreal: 3,578 million

Indianapolis: 4,772 million

Magny-Cours: 2,4 million

Silverstone: 3,629 million

Hockenheim: 2,91 million

Hungaroring: 2,11 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 2,90 million

Monza: 2,63 million

Shanghai: Anything at range of 0,791 million-4,37 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (This is highly provisional ratings with no real info for the Live Race Coverage and for the Re-run Coverage. Most of the rumours have said that in the years of 2004-2005, Chinese Grand Prix had most likely less than a million viewers and somewhat more at best. It could have also a higher ratings. Highest number of ratings for these provisional ratings are based for the possible live coverage for the Australian Grand Prix, Malaysian Grand Prix and for the Japanese Grand Prix Re-run Coverage so when the Australian Grand Prix possibly had some very low amount of viewers, then the Chinese Grand Prix provisionally had a bigger Combined Race Coverage audience as well even though I really think those numbers to be much lower. Without more accurate ratings it is bad to say anything about the real ratings for this particular and inaugural Chinese Grand Prix. Even though most probably it had either 0,791 million viewers or 0,881 million viewers based on the calculations of a possible exact 3 million viewership average for a 18 race season and for the 2004 Bahrain Grand Prix viewership average rating claims.) 

Suzuka: 2,86 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Live Race Coverage had a rating of 1,32 million and Re-run Coverage had a rating of 1,54 million.)

Interlagos: 4,11 million

Average viewership for a 18 race season was about a 3 million viewers and maybe a little more, but not much higher than that.

Melbourne: 3,67 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new acquired info, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were 2,4 million and Re-run Coverage had 1,27 million even though that could be other way around too.)

Sepang: 3,83 million as a Combined Race Coverage (According to my new acquired info, ratings for a Live Race Coverage were 2 million exact and Re-run Coverage had 1,83 million even though that could be other way around too.)

Sakhir: 2,5 million

Imola: 2,4 million

Barcelona: 2,72 million

Monaco: 3,33 million

Nürburgring: 2,42 million

Montreal: 4,967 million

Indianapolis: 4,521 million

Magny-Cours: 2,37 million

Silverstone: 2,92 million

Hockenheim: 3,14 million

Hungaroring: 2,79 million

Istanbul: 3,93 million

Monza: 2,21 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 2,10 million

Interlagos: 4,35 million

Suzuka: 3,32 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Live Race Coverage had a rating of 1,32 million exactly like a year before and Re-run Coverage had a rating of 2 million exact.)

Shanghai: Anything at range of less than a half of a million-4,38 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (This is highly provisional ratings as of yet. However like in 2004 Chinese Grand Prix, this particular Chinese Grand Prix had said to have miniscule amount of viewers so it's highly probable that this race had even fewer viewers than in 2004 and if not, then for surely less than in 2006 Chinese Grand Prix even as of now when there is still much to discover for these ratings.)

Average viewership ratings for this season was similiar to 2004 season average rating of 3 million viewers. It maybe were a bit higher or bit lower for 19 race season. My recently found new information indicates for that season to have had 2,83 million viewers for it's season average which is lower than in 2004. Also when I had acquired my newest information, it was said that in this season it could have had even lesser number of viewers for it's season average, down to 2.6 million viewers which were even more abysmal number of viewers and only marginally better than in season 2006 for it's lowest if true or verified to be true.

Sakhir: 3,3 million

Sepang: 3,39 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Live Race Coverage and Re-run Coverage figures have been found and they were said to be 2,3 million viewers and 1,09 million viewers even though that could be other way around too.)

Melbourne: 3,67 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Live Race Coverage and Re-run Coverage figures have been found and they were said to be 490 000 viewers and 3,18 million viewers so the earlier highest number of viewers was said to be true even though I still have my little doubts for that as for the 2006 Malaysian Grand Prix as well even though not that much anymore that is.)

Imola: 2,52 million (Most mentioned rating for this race has been verified to be it's real ratings after all.)

Nürburgring: 2,50 million

Barcelona: 2,20 million

Monaco: 2,64 million

Silverstone: 2,18 million

Montreal: 2,72 million

Indianapolis: 3,50 million

Magny-Cours: 1,82 million

Hockenheim: 2,23 million

Hungaroring: 2,50 million

Istanbul: 2 million viewers exact

Monza: 1,89 million

Shanghai: 1,52 million-4,56 million as a Combined Race Coverage? (Combined Race Coverage for this race is still a mystery. A new minimum amount of viewers has been discovered. For their very tiny ratings, they still were said to be better than for the 2004 Chinese Grand Prix or for the 2005 Chinese Grand Prix. Some newspaper only indicated that viewing average for this race were only better for the 2004 race, but not for the 2005 race. As for now, these ratings are very unsure and they aren't made any easier because of the different season average figures for a complete 18 race season.) 

Suzuka: 3,49 million as a Combined Race Coverage (Live Race Coverage had a rating of 1,19 million and Re-run Coverage had a rating of 2,30 million.)

Interlagos: 5,09 million

This season had under 3 million viewership average rating for 18 race season, it were around of 2,8 million or 2,9 million. Sometimes this particular and badly rated season had even lower season averages like 2,75 million viewers or even as low number as 2,51 million viewers for a complete 18 race season.

PPPS. I managed to found out 2003 Australian Grand Prix and 2004 Australian Grand Prix Live Coverage and Re-run Coverage ratings, but sadly not 2005 Australian Grand Prix and 2006 Australian Grand Prix and for their respective ratings as of an accurate ratings. I will mark those ratings within their respective races and, if they happen to be other way around than what is written and staten, don't hesitate to remind me about that if those ratings seems weird.

Edited by Blue6ix, 26 May 2019 - 15:51.

#877 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 89 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 20:43

I decided to put some of UK Qualifying TV Ratings also from the different years as well.

They are from the seasons of 1996-1998. I'm excluding seasons of 1994 and 1995 because then BBC really didn't broadcast much of them live. Also I do have few extra ratings and those are 1999-2001 Australian Grand Prix Qualifying ratings which I will mark immediately after the years of 1996-1998. In 1996 season, season average for 16 Qualifyings were said to be 3 million viewers, but 1997 season average and 1998 season average are somewhat unclear.

Even though 1997 season average seems to be around of 2,5 million viewers and 1998 season season average seems to be around of 2,3 million viewers. And they clearly were higher than in many following years up to a situation for a few years ago when that situation changed and qualifyings were once again at least more watched than before even though not in the 1996 numbers of viewers of course.

So, here we go even though I will update them when necessary and when the new ratings are eventually found and I still have to search some of my other old British newspapers as well to find out, if there were more info on them, but there really isn't much more information available after these ratings:

Update: 1997 Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying ratings have been found and also I have found a few other Qualifying ratings as well from the 1997 season and I will update them in their time and turn on future after those possible Qualifying ratings have been verified to contain those claimed ratings. For time being I will add 1997 Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying ratings for their own respective season immediately. 

A New Update: 1997 Australian Grand Prix Qualifying ratings and 1997 San Marino Qualifying ratings have been verified to be what they are so I will add them to the 1997 Qualifying season list below then. Sadly, three Qualifyings for the 1997 season stills remains in dark, as do the most of the 1998 season Qualifyings. However as an added bonus, the 1996 Italian Grand Prix Qualifying has been discovered after the new lookings which I thought previously to be 1997 Italian Grand Prix Qualifying ratings so that's a new one for the 1996 Qualifying season which still has many other Qualifyings to be discovered as of yet.

Another New Update: 1998 Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying ratings have been verified to be what they are so I will add them to the 1998 Qualifying season list below then.

Melbourne: ?

Interlagos: 5,14 million

Buenos Aires: 5,16 million

Nürburgring: ?

Imola: ?

Monaco: 2,78 million

Barcelona: 2,67 million

Montreal: ?

Magny-Cours: ?

Silverstone: 3,09 million

Hockenheim: ?

Hungaroring: ?

Spa-Francorchamps: ?

Monza: 1,59 million

Estoril: ?

Suzuka: ?

Melbourne: 2,245 million

Interlagos: 2,31 million

Buenos Aires: 3,93 million

Imola: 2,075 million

Monaco: 3,27 million

Barcelona: 1,77 million

Montreal: 2,31 million

Silverstone: 2,46 million

Hockenheim: 2,75 million

Spa-Francorchamps: 2,16 million

Monza: ?

A1-Ring: 2,33 million

Nürburgring: 2,14 million

Suzuka: 2,85 million

Jerez: 2.72 million

Melbourne: ?

Interlagos: 2,36 million

Buenos Aires: 3,15 million

Imola: ?

Barcelona: 1,8 million

Monaco: 1,97 million

Montreal: ?

Silverstone: ?

A1-Ring: ?

Hockenheim: 2,24 million

Spa-Francorchamps: ?

Monza: ?

Nürburgring: ?

Suzuka: ?

Melbourne: 2,07 million as a Live Coverage of the Qualifying

Melbourne: 1,86 million as a Live Coverage of the Qualifying

Melbourne: 1,92 million as a Live Coverage of the Qualifying

Edited by Blue6ix, 07 February 2019 - 10:20.

#878 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 14:40

It has been a long time.

After quite a long search, I managed to track down some, but only as for now the pending ratings for some of the missing BBC Grand Prix races from the years of 1992-1995.

Here they come and these ratings are quite high and I'm not sure about them, but they could be at least closer to the truth than before because these following races were shown in BBC1 instead rather than in BBC2:

Magny-Cours: 6 million (Another rating was 5,45 million viewers.)

Monaco: 4,5 million (Another rating was 4,25 million viewers.)

Magny-Cours: 4 million (Another rating was a bit under of 4 million viewers.)

Estoril: 5 million (Another rating was a bit under of 5 million viewers.)

Magny-Cours: 4,1 million (Another rating was under 3,5 million viewers.)

Hungaroring: 4,25 million (Another rating was 3,78 million viewers.)

PS. This message has been written for notification purposes after a very long time. I will update the following information on a longer message up to two messages up from this particular notification message when this information is confirmed to be real thing. I will also modify this message, if my current ratings for these BBC1 races are incorrect.

If there are any other ratings information about ratings for these particular races or any race up to year of 1995 please do share about it. :wave:

Edited by Blue6ix, 31 January 2019 - 14:41.

#879 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 14:44

I also managed to find out that 1992 Australian Grand Prix maybe was seen as a live coverage.

Probably because of for a certain Mr. Red Five's supposed last Grand Prix race...

Also in the 1990s BBC did have some Monday race re re-runs for a long-distance races.

And maybe in the very late 1980s BBC did broadcast or intend to broadcast some very important long-distance/fly-away races as live even though they were supposed to be seen in UK at very early in the morning, about time when those daily broadcast programme tables were switched off and turned on again about at 3-4 am in the morning.

Edited by Blue6ix, 31 January 2019 - 14:51.

Advertisement

#880 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 936 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 15:20

In the 80s and early 90s before they committed to show every race live, sometimes the late flyaway races were transmitted live....I am sure both Mexico and Australia in 1986 were due to perceived increased interest with Mansell going for the title. 

Much of the time the ability to broadcast live depended on what else was happening at the time. With only two BBC channels in those days (and a maximum of four channels in total) the French GP often gave way to Wimbledon and Mexico to the Sunday evening news. 

#881 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 15:42

All said there were a hell of a lot motoring oriented programs in comparison to today. Hot Rod racing and Speedway and RallyX on World of Sport. The progress of the  RAC rally featured on the 9 o'clock news and News at 10 if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention Cart when Mansell was taking part ! :eek:

#882 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 679 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 16:35

Less available channels made it easier to get larger ratings back in the early 90s

#883 Branislav

Branislav

• 684 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 17:02

I'm just watching Nascar preseason test from Las Vegas Motor Speedway live on their youtube channel and Liberty Media will charge their coverage of F1 testing in Barcelona and they want to bring back spectators well this is not the way Liberty!

Edited by Branislav, 31 January 2019 - 17:10.

#884 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 20:15

If people will pay for it, why not?

#885 Branislav

Branislav

• 684 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 21:16

If people will pay for it, why not?

They are desperate for more audience. Charging live testing will not attract them. To attract them this testing need to be free on youtube like Nascar did it who is also desperate for audience.

#886 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 22:35

They are desperate for more audience. Charging live testing will not attract them. To attract them this testing need to be free on youtube like Nascar did it who is also desperate for audience.

Rubbish. The only people who are interested in live testing are the people who are already watching F1. There are other ways that they could and should use to attract new audience.

#887 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 22:37

Testing is also extremely boring. It's great for getting people up close to the cars live at the track, because they can experience the cars in real life right it front of them. But it's not entertaining in the slightest for a casual fan. It's only something real enthusiasts can get anything out of.

#888 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:05

All said there were a hell of a lot motoring oriented programs in comparison to today. Hot Rod racing and Speedway and RallyX on World of Sport. The progress of the  RAC rally featured on the 9 o'clock news and News at 10 if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention Cart when Mansell was taking part ! :eek:

ITV used to show CART highlights in the early 90s before Our Nige got involved....albeit at 3am or something silly. I used to set the video recorder to tape them. We also got some NSCAR Winston Cup races that way. BBC used to show highlights of the Indy 500 a week after the race during the late 80s. 

The Anglia region of ITV had a local motorsport show "Wheels" which ran for years and years featuring anything from banger racing to F3 and BTCC and everything inbetween such as speedway and FFord. 

#889 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 13:07

The Anglia region of ITV had a local motorsport show "Wheels" which ran for years and years featuring anything from banger racing to F3 and BTCC and everything inbetween such as speedway and FFord. 

That's astonishing. I thought they only covered outbreaks of swine fever, and a haystack catching fire near Saxmundham.

#890 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 13:21

That's astonishing. I thought they only covered outbreaks of swine fever, and a haystack catching fire near Saxmundham.

Don't you know about "Live from Norwich, it's the quiz of the week"?

#891 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,581 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 13:43

ITV used to show CART highlights in the early 90s before Our Nige got involved....albeit at 3am or something silly

The programme announcers were on the ball, with gems like "and now we have Indy go-CART racing". Bless you Polly Boyes, wherever you are now.

#892 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 14:37

Don't be so fast to knock Anglia....they were the first UK broadcaster to get hold of video tape machines, enabling recording of programmes on tape rather than film....they were responsible for "Survival"....and yes, had a weekly motorsport show called "Wheels"...I think Richard Keys presented it for a few years...hmm....

As for ITV and CART....I remember on more than one occasion the programme listings were structured so as to read "Indy CART - Get Stuffed".....when "Get Stuffed" was the name of the programme following CART.

#893 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 19:12

Don't you know about "Live from Norwich, it's the quiz of the week"?

Was the host that Alan Partridge fella? Well funny bloke! :p

#894 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 581 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 16:35

I recall that Channel 4 (I think) had a weekly Motorsport show shown at an ungodly hour, that was presented by Will Hoy (RIP).

As I recall it was quite lengthy and covered a multitude of series including the then recently revived DTM. I may even still have a VHS or two somewhere...

#895 pdac

pdac

• 8,442 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 18:59

Was the host that Alan Partridge fella? Well funny bloke! :p

Nicholas Parsons.

#896 MattK9

MattK9

• 295 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:56

Do we know any viewing figures from last year. Channel 4 vs sky.

I can't imagine that the viewing figures are anything close to the historical figures Blue6ix has been posting back when we only had 4 channels and no internet.

#897 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,096 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:03

I'm surprised by the consistent and significant drop in UK ratings. With Hamilton finally back in a consistently winning car I thought there would be a boost not a decline. Bahrain being a million down despite being aired at a better time of day is particularly interesting. 

What is putting people off? Is it still a side effect of one team dominating (Red Bull and Vettel previously, now Merc). Did that kill off the casual fans and they aren't bothered to come back?

That 'rot' of domination set way way back  even before the  days of the John Player Specials.Subsequently McLaren who all but whitewashed the entire grid in 88.And followed by the active Williams FW14.  the F2000 Ferrar.The Brawn.etc etc etc..

Edited by Fatgadget, 03 February 2019 - 09:18.

#898 stewie

stewie

• 3,054 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:39

Do we know any viewing figures from last year. Channel 4 vs sky.

I can't imagine that the viewing figures are anything close to the historical figures Blue6ix has been posting back when we only had 4 channels and no internet.

F1 broadcasting blog has this info.

#899 djparky

djparky

• 1,099 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:07

That 'rot' of domination set way way back even before the days of the John Player Specials.Subsequently McLaren who all but whitewashed the entire grid in 88.And followed by the active Williams FW14. the F2000 Ferrar.The Brawn.etc etc etc..

I think one of the key differences is that back in the 70- mid 90's domination generally only lasted a year or two and the cars were less reliable. We've had 5 years of mind crushing boredom with Mercedes winning most weeks, and since Rosberg retired only one Mercedes driver winning those weeks...sure Hamilton endless poles, races etc but he's been sat in a dominant car.

With the massive funding and performance gap between Div 1 and the rest I don't see anything changing

Advertisement

#900 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 23:37

People aren't tuning out because of who is winning the races.

They are tuning out because there are far more (and far cheaper) options available to them when they turn on a TV. We live in an age where we can binge watch TV shows and choose from a list of thousands of movies for just £10 a month.

Expecting people to ever go back to having the same TV viewing habits that they had 10-20-30 years ago when choice was more limited is ludicrous.