Photo

Luca Badoer: What can he do?

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

Poll: Luca Badoer at Valencia (307 member(s) have cast votes)

Where will Luca Badoer finish at Valencia?

1. Race win (17 votes [5.54%])

Percentage of vote: 5.54%

2. Podium (3 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

3. Points (73 votes [23.78%])

Percentage of vote: 23.78%

4. Midfield finish (100 votes [32.57%])

Percentage of vote: 32.57%

5. 15th or lower (68 votes [22.15%])

Percentage of vote: 22.15%

6. He may not last the race (46 votes [14.98%])

Percentage of vote: 14.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Owen

Owen

• 13,184 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:38

Luca has a big challenge in front of him at Valencia, given the circumstances and the car, what should we expect?

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:56

Totally depends on how he goes in qualifying.

If he can unlock the tyres at the right moment I think he'll be able to just crack the top ten.

Don't forget, he will potentionally have the Brawns, Red Bulls, McLarens and Feranado Alonso's Renault ahead of him (if he is allowed to race).

So at Valencia, with a few crashes perhaps, I think he'll finish between 6 and 8.

If he qualifies poorly he'll be locked into his starting position, given that the track is nearly impossible to overtake on.

I reckon between 6th and 8th place in the other six races of the year for Luca, unless Ferrari make quite huge steps.

Best case scenario is a podium if we get a wet race in Japan or Singapore.

#3 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 20:57

10 years of driving consistent laps on his own at 98%, now suddenly in a field that all laps within a second. I don't understand it at all, he's likely to be humiliated. Obviously he wants to race, but this isn't going to be doing him a favour IMO. Or achieve anything for the team, except raise a clamour for Felipe and Fernando. Who is he going to beat - Buemi? Fisi? I don't see it.

#4 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 21:03

For all intents and purposes he is almost a rookie. If he gets away successfully, potentially top 10. But if he doesn't, well....... Ferrari may have to rethink their driver.

How many promotional days can a team have?

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,728 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 22:21

Midfield. Points with luck depending on the team's form. If Ferrari is as good as in the Hungaroring, he might just squeeze himself into the points.

I think the big, big problem will be getting the qualy laps right, if he fails there the weekend is ruined already. Might be good though for the entertainment value of the race, as he'd have to KERS-pass a couple of people.

#6 HP

HP

• 19,681 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 22:37

I don't expect much. He's more or less a rookie on a track that is new to him. Qualifying is important here. Valencia is a street track. Meaning drivers need to get close to the barriers to get a decent time. That will be a challenge. Furthermore Badoer doesn't race to earn a seat.

However if he get's against all odds qualifying perfect, he will be doing good, being helped by KERS.

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:01

I think it would be nice to see Badoer get some points. Just to make up for his 1999 disappointment.

#8 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:40

Luca has a big challenge in front of him at Valencia, what should we expect?

For him not to crash it! and to get into the points, My guess was top 8 when announced and I still stand by that...

#9 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,824 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:50

I think it will be hard for him to score points, i wouldnt be suprised if he did it actually.

#10 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:55

Points finish. He's good enough.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,522 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:37

I don't expect much from him, there is a good reason why he has not been in a race seat for so long and Ferrari didn't consider him good enough when MS had his accident.

#12 pUs

pUs

• 2,983 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:50

He will perform ok I think, but the problem is the F1 grid is so extremely closely matched nowadays. His car won't be the class of the field either, so I think his final results might well be massively dissapointing even if he's actually performing decently.

Still, I hope I'm wrong. The Minardi breaking down in 99 is something I'll always remember, you really felt for the poor guy. Nice to seem him get another chance :up:

#13 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:08

Performance through the field is very tight right now and just a couple of tenths can make the difference between hero and zero. I reckon he'll be a few tenths shy of Kimi in qualifying which will put him out in Q2, but if they fuel him long so he keeps out of trouble, and they manage to keep him in free air, he could make the points.

It all depends on the car of course.

#14 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 14:54

German media is reporting that Schumacher will be in Valencia as Badoer's driving coach. With Schumi's tips, Badoer will make it a difficult weekend for Raikkonen.

#15 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,645 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:06

German media is reporting that Schumacher will be in Valencia as Badoer's driving coach. With Schumi's tips, Badoer will make it a difficult weekend for Raikkonen.

Being realistic, a points finish could be hard to achieve. Even Kimi didn't manage it on a couple occasion. I think he might steal a point with some luck.

Edited by micra_k10, 18 August 2009 - 15:07.

#16 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:08

I think that's really humiliating for Badoer.

Let him drive his own race weekend, not have the ominous shadow of Schumacher pulling his strings.

#17 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:16

Being realistic, a points finish could be hard to achieve. Even Kimi didn't manage it on a couple occasion. I think he might steal a point with some luck.

There is nobody who knows more about driving an F1 car than Schumi though. That knowledge, transferred to Badoer, could be worth as much as a full second, depending on the track. Beating Raikkonen to a points finish could be possible with a perfect weekend.

Edited by Schumacher Forever, 18 August 2009 - 15:17.

#18 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:17

Let him drive his own race weekend, not have the ominous shadow of Schumacher pulling his strings.

I see nothing humiliating there, in fact Badoer is probably happy to have such an experienced hand around and also Schumacher attending will deflect some of the press focus away from himself.

#19 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:18

There is nobody who knows more about driving an F1 car than Schumi though. That knowledge, transferred to Badoer, could be worth as much as a full second, depending on the track. Beating Raikkonen to a points finish could be possible with a perfect weekend.

Hmmm, I agree with your first point, Schumacher's knowledge of an F1 car is immense.

However, he can't given Badoer a Vulcan mind-meld and download all of that ability.

It doesn't work like that.

Advertisement

#20 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:24

It doesn't work like that.

Yes it does.. however there's a tradeoff, this uber knowledge transfer comes with a funny fashion sense.. Badoer would have to live with that forever afterwards.. :stoned:

#21 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:41

I agree. Maybe if Schumacher had driven the car and had a good number miles under his belt but he will be giving tips about a car he's never driven.

#22 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:41

I'm certain Schumi can give Badoer all the tools needed to beat Raikkonen. It's up to Badoer to use them.

Yes it does.. however there's a tradeoff, this uber knowledge transfer comes with a funny fashion sense.. Badoer would have to live with that forever afterwards.. :stoned:

I don't see any problem with Schumi's fashion sense. He's ahead of his time, that's all.

#23 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,645 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:45

:rotfl:

I'm not saying Schumacher cannot help Badoer, but I think Badoer knows the setups well, being a test driver for so long. Schumacher cannot improve the driver. Of course he might have some ideas where Badoer could gain time, but any driver should get these ideas by himself and if not, from comparing where teammate is winning. Schumacher could add a little bit extra on that, maybe a tenth or two depending on the track.

#24 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:57

I don't see any problem with Schumi's fashion sense. He's ahead of his time, that's all.

He's German too...

#25 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:12

How much does he weight? Probably like MS - 76kg? So he will be 0.5s slower than Kimi at his best. It mean P12-18 starting position - even with heavy loaded car and good strategy place higher than 10 will be remarkable result.

#26 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:17

Schumi, how is that going to help? It will mildly p*ss off Kimi that's about all :p . Rob Smedley can tell Badoer everything he actually needs to know.

People who're predicting points for him are unconsciously thinking about previous years when he'd have had a huge car advantage over most of the field. Now even the Torro Rosso is a Red Bull complete with DDD and the Force India is 50% McLaren. This is the closest field in F1 history, all good cars with good drivers, all race sharp. Good luck, Luca.

Edited by undersquare, 18 August 2009 - 16:18.

#27 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:31

Schumi, how is that going to help? It will mildly p*ss off Kimi that's about all :p .

That would be more than enough to help Badoer. Believe me, with Schumi present at Valencia Bedoer will end up with a better result than Kimi.

:p

Rob Smedley can tell Badoer everything he actually needs to know.

Stay cool, Luca-baby. Yeah-yeah!

#28 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:37

Might scrape a points finish.
Would be shocked if he got a podium.

#29 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 17:11

Rob Smedley can tell Badoer everything he actually needs to know.

Stay cool, Luca-baby. Yeah-yeah!

IMO it would be more like "fire up, granddaddy luca!"

#30 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 17:14

He's saying it will be pretty much a test session for him. My hunch is that Ferrari will use his track time to extensively test parts because realistically they can't expect more than a coupld of points from Luca. They'll put different, perhaps much more capable driver by the next race. So a little sacrifies ( a couple of points ) in quest to close on teams ahead and gain big at further races.

#31 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 17:15

There is nobody who knows more about driving an F1 car than Schumi though.

Ah yes, the bloke who's never driven an 09 spec car....

#32 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:18

Hasn't raced in 10 years. Is likely past whatever prime he had. Minimum amount of time in the 09 car.

I'd be surprised if he makes it out of Q1. The competition is just so tight this year.

#33 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:23

I'm going to take a wild guess that the German überdriver will be doing his usual hovering-in-the-pits thing (he's some kind of consultant, isn't he?) but because that's too effing boring for Bild, they've made him a driving instructor instead...

#34 di44ety

di44ety

• 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:32

Luca Badoer test F60 in Fiorano 17.08.2009

#35 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:33

6th, 7th or 8th

#36 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:56

Luca Badoer test F60 in Fiorano 17.08.2009

It's not a proper lap but i check his time - 1.04s. Last year F3 pilot Bortolotti did in F2008 0.59s.

Edited by Odvan, 18 August 2009 - 23:03.

#37 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 19:00

He's saying it will be pretty much a test session for him. My hunch is that Ferrari will use his track time to extensively test parts because realistically they can't expect more than a coupld of points from Luca. They'll put different, perhaps much more capable driver by the next race. So a little sacrifies ( a couple of points ) in quest to close on teams ahead and gain big at further races.

Couple of points? If Ferrari has slipped further down during the last month, scoring a point might prove too difficult for both drivers, not just Luca the substitute.

#38 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,728 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 19:01

There is nobody who knows more about driving an F1 car than Schumi though. That knowledge, transferred to Badoer, could be worth as much as a full second, depending on the track.

Funny troll is funny.

:rotfl:

#39 Owen

Owen

• 13,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 19:30

I'm going to take a wild guess that the German überdriver will be doing his usual hovering-in-the-pits thing (he's some kind of consultant, isn't he?) but because that's too effing boring for Bild, they've made him a driving instructor instead...

I always wanted to start a thread entitled "Schumacher: What exactly does he do now at Ferrari?" It's never been clear. Couldn't be bothered though.

Advertisement

#40 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 20:17

I think this is possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on here, nope, scratch that, it is the funniest thing.

Come, I know you are a MS fan, but are you being serious?

#41 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 20:23

kinda amusing thing is, his driver coach hasnt driven the car, and hasnt driven the circuit xD

would be oh so sweet if luca could win a race

#42 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 21:09

I think he's in for a really tough weekend. The whole field is so tight, I'm concerned he'll stuff the car trying to keep up, or be way out of his league on sheer speed. I hope I'm wrong, though. It would be great to see him score points after all these years.

Makes me wonder what his mindset is right now. Is he ******* himself with nerves or what. To be handed an opportunity like this after not racing for 10 years or whatever, wow ...

#43 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 21:33

Maybe he is expected to do an extended testing session that will be of benefit next year.

#44 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 21:55

I always wanted to start a thread entitled "Schumacher: What exactly does he do now at Ferrari?" It's never been clear. Couldn't be bothered though.

technically he's a consultant, in real terms he's just paid to associate his name/image with the Ferrari sponsors

and if you ask kimi fans he also fits kimi's car with rain tyres when it's dry :D

PS Badoer has it relatively easy IMO. Most people thing that him being a few tenths off kimi is a good result and if you look at testing times he's not a slouch, he does pretty respectable laptimes and he has a shitload of mileage (ok in older F1 cars). So I think there's just upside for him

#45 Leons

Leons

• 78 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:13

Video about Badoer test :)

http://f1center.hu/i...p?m=news&az=273

#46 Schumacher Forever

Schumacher Forever

• 55 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:54

Video about Badoer test :)

http://f1center.hu/i...p?m=news&az=273

Thank you. It seems to me Badoer is going quite fast there. I wonder if the lessons have started yet?

To those making fun of my posts: I sense a nervous tone in your laughter. If you have any proof that Schumi can not help Badoer beat Kimi, bring it forth. Don't let your affection for Kimi cloud your judgement.

Edited by Schumacher Forever, 19 August 2009 - 09:30.

#47 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:02

Badoer's target for the weekend is a race finish...

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/77764

#48 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:09

Thank you. It seems to me Badoer is going quite fast there. I wonder if the lessons have started yet?

To those who make fun of my posts: I sense a nervous tone in your laughter. If you have any proof that Schumi can not help Badoer beat Kimi, bring it forth. Don't let you affection for Kimi cloud your judgement.

So its OK for Badoer to go around at racing speed then ? I think this is disgusting, not that he is allowed to test because it only makes sense but that we saw yet another witch hunt against Michael Schumacher. There would've been worldwide uproar if that had been Michael 'promotionally demonstrating' the car.

It is obvious that is nothing less than a familiarisation test session, Michael will have been ripped apart if he'd have done that.

#49 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:16

With Schumacher help Luca could steal a podium, and after he sabotages Kimi's he can finish in front of him

#50 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:17

So its OK for Badoer to go around at racing speed then ? I think this is disgusting, not that he is allowed to test because it only makes sense but that we saw yet another witch hunt against Michael Schumacher. There would've been worldwide uproar if that had been Michael 'promotionally demonstrating' the car.

It is obvious that is nothing less than a familiarisation test session, Michael will have been ripped apart if he'd have done that.

Promo runs are run on ultra-hard demo tyres, he's not actually on or anywhere near racing speeds :S