* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2272 replies to this topic

#2151 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:00

I've been tracking Max Verstappen, and he's been in iRacing a few times, but only for very private practice with the big dogs at Team Redline. And yes, the track he is practicing is Spa.

Verstappen for the win then this weekend.  :clap:

Advertisement

#2152 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 13:15

Those are long odds. It would be nice, but unlikely.

But sims are moving closer and closer to legitimacy and being used by real drivers as training tools. And it's real simple, the only consequence for a mistake is a reset, and track time is much cheaper. But for Max, not only does he get familiar with the track, he can try different passing and defensive moves against genuinely good drivers. All teams but Sauber has simulators, mainly very expensive devices that are used mainly for setups and specific simulations. But as witnessed by Verstappen, he can go home and not only mentally rehearse what he may do in a race, but try it repeatedly to understand if it is viable and worth attempting.

For most of us, sim racing is great entertainment and an outlet for those pent-up aggressions. But for a professional driver, is in not only that but a training tool they add to their arsenal in the pursuit of success.

#2153 A3

A3

• 27,836 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:28

So Verstappen practiced his moves in iRacing. :cool:

#2154 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 13:35

Yea, where have I seen that move before?  :clap:

Although intellectually I know what's going on, to see that move during the race, then see it confirmed by the video a few days later is just plain freaky. Love it.

#2155 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 00:26

Hello guys, I am not a player, but I was watching parts of some of the races on YouTube, and was pretty amazed to see a start of, what, 33 Grand Prix cars on the grid... how I wish real F1 was like that.  Are there any recorded races that have really huge fields on the grid, like 40+ Indy or F1 cars?  I'd love to see some of those starts and opening laps... :smoking:

Edited by maximilian, 05 September 2015 - 00:36.

#2156 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 17:22

Wow, too many to remember. Just three days ago I was in a GT3 race with 25 cars.

Here are some web sites that stream live, as well as archive races.

http://www.iracing.com/live/

http://www.psrtv.com/

http://racespot.tv/

Here's one race, the Indy 500 with 33 cars.

And the 24 Hours of Spa, 37 cars. Start is at 12:00

#2157 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 21:00

Thanks for that!  :up:

#2158 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 00:21

You're very welcome maximilian.

#2159 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 23:40

Toro Rosso Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen says practicing overtaking moves on a computer game is helping his attack on track.

Verstappen joined simracing team Redline at the beginning of the summer and practiced Spa and Monza before contesting the circuits' F1 grands prix.

During the Italian Grand Prix, the Dutchman, running soft tires, passed Sauber's Felipe Nasr, who was on the mediums, around the outside at the first chicane. It followed an impressive move on Nasr around the outside of Blanchimont at Spa a fortnight earlier.

Verstappen revealed he had completed both those exact moves on the racing game a week ahead of the respective races.

"It's always good because you know how much space you have," he said. "Also on simracing, sometimes you go a bit too far and you know that you can't do it.

"I think it helps me. I mean, I did it for Spa and I did it again for Monza and two times it worked on the real track. The overtake I did on Nasr, I did exactly the same in the sim again."

http://www.racer.com...king-verstappen

Advertisement

#2160 lars75

lars75

• 1,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:38

Toro Rosso Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen says practicing overtaking moves on a computer game is helping his attack on track.

Verstappen joined simracing team Redline at the beginning of the summer and practiced Spa and Monza before contesting the circuits' F1 grands prix.

During the Italian Grand Prix, the Dutchman, running soft tires, passed Sauber's Felipe Nasr, who was on the mediums, around the outside at the first chicane. It followed an impressive move on Nasr around the outside of Blanchimont at Spa a fortnight earlier.

Verstappen revealed he had completed both those exact moves on the racing game a week ahead of the respective races.

"It's always good because you know how much space you have," he said. "Also on simracing, sometimes you go a bit too far and you know that you can't do it.

"I think it helps me. I mean, I did it for Spa and I did it again for Monza and two times it worked on the real track. The overtake I did on Nasr, I did exactly the same in the sim again."

http://www.racer.com...king-verstappen

Is he the first to figure this out? And are these options not available in the hightech simulators in the RedBull factory. Or is it that he is racing against others for real and not against a computer like in the simulator.

#2161 zanquis

zanquis

• 4,097 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:13

I am guess the teamsimulators are mainly for realisme in setting up, not to race others. And some simracers are just as good as the real ones in their virtual world.

#2162 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 16:10

Is he the first to figure this out? And are these options not available in the hightech simulators in the RedBull factory. Or is it that he is racing against others for real and not against a computer like in the simulator.

Max is using his own computer at home for iRacing. He is using it to practice certain scenarios against others who are working with him.

11330571_100854270267316_1014236768_n.jp

Max joined a sim racing team, Team Redline. He doesn't participate in any racing (so far) but instead has private practice sessions with some incredibly capable sim racers who are undeniably the best in the world. As A3's video shows, Max and Atze set up certain situations and Max was able to work out if certain moves were worth trying, what would happen if they worked, and what would happen if they didn't work out. There is no AI in iRacing, everything is performed by real people.

The simulators back at the factory are expensive and sophisticated bits of engineering that are scheduled weeks in advance, and use primarily for car setup and preparation. They do not have the ability to display a second car and driver, it is just one driver using the simulator with engineers in the control room changing parameters and components to verify differences.

feat_mclaren41__04__630.jpg

#2163 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 497 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:27

"I just drove the Nordschleife in iRacing… and it’s great"

https://www.facebook...53624515861085/

http://www.bridgetog...=news.publishes

The track is tentatively due to be released in November.

Edited by scolbourne, 29 September 2015 - 07:07.

#2164 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,190 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 14:59

"I just drove the Nordschleife in iRacing… and it’s great"

https://www.facebook...53624515861085/

http://www.bridgetog...=news.publishes

Am interview with Dale Lomas from Bridge-to-Gantry, about iRacing's Ring:-

https://www.youtube....h?v=KwT0BS7OxO4

#2165 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 18:26

It appears that the release of Nurburgring is again delayed, this time to December.

What I interpret from this is that iRacing intend to release an epic track that is well polished. They could have easily released it two months ago and most would have been very happy. The pressure on them is massive, they could take the easy way out now, but have chosen to do it right. Although my patience has been stretched very thin, I fully agree with their decision, and know what I'm going to be doing at Christmas.

The season ends December 1st, so hopefully the Nordschleife will be released during Week 13, also know as "Seven days of Carnage".

#2166 Ickx

Ickx

• 807 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:46

This will be great. When I started with iRacing one year ago the general perception was that the ring and Le Mans would not be coming in the near future and now the Ring is almost here and Le Mans is signed. It will be great to have it and sounds like they will set up some kind of special series just for the ring which is even better. Not to forget, the GP track in itself is a welcome addition to the pool of "normal" tracks.

#2167 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 17:09

But they gave up on Long Beach because the track model would be too complex?

btw when do we get the 2015 McLaren Honda :lol:

#2168 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 17:13

It wasn't the track model itself, it was because of the too many buildings around the track. I think they're using a different way of building tracks now too so it might be easier to do big projects like this.

#2169 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:18

Just did a quick comparison video of Iracing, RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E) and Assetto Corsa. The only track and car combination i could find that where available in all 3 games where Zandvoort and the BMW Z4 GT3. Not done any laps on that track/car combination in any of the games, and i R3E i had to buy the car before comparing.

I think IRacing is the only one with a laser scanned track of the 3 sims, and i do prefer IRacing somewhat simpler graphics (the 2 other sims look more cluttered imho). As for handling, they are all different, but still a bit the same. I drove without TC in all 3 sims. R3E is the most forgiving, and both AC and Iracing bites more when you challenge the limits (default setups all around, except for changing the brake balance forward in iracing as it kept locking the rear and snapping around). IRacing has a handling that encourages clean driving, while R3E lets  you over drive a bit. AC is middle ground for me (atleast with default setups). As for the sounds, a combination of R3E and Iracing would be great. R3E has too much sound going on, but has some great sounds if you filter out a bit the other noise, and Iracing has great "cold brakes" sound.

#2170 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 20:30

That's a good piece of work there. What I don't have trouble accepting is that every one of those sims is darn good. That's something that always gets under my skin because it's not a matter that one sim is "better" than another, it's just that they each offer variations based on personal preference.

I haven't driven either Race Room or Asetto Corsa, but from what I saw it seems the iRacing Bimmer is harder to find and maintain the line and points for braking and turn-in.

I'm heavily biased towards iRacing, and for me the graphics aren't a big selling point, as long as they are reasonable I'm happy. Heck, I went three weeks before I noticed that the grandstands were populated during a race. That show where my eyes and focus are at.

#2171 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 00:14

That's a good piece of work there. What I don't have trouble accepting is that every one of those sims is darn good. That's something that always gets under my skin because it's not a matter that one sim is "better" than another, it's just that they each offer variations based on personal preference.

I haven't driven either Race Room or Asetto Corsa, but from what I saw it seems the iRacing Bimmer is harder to find and maintain the line and points for braking and turn-in.

I'm heavily biased towards iRacing, and for me the graphics aren't a big selling point, as long as they are reasonable I'm happy. Heck, I went three weeks before I noticed that the grandstands were populated during a race. That show where my eyes and focus are at.

I drive Iracing the least of the 3, but that doesnt mean iracing is the worst of them... lately i have driven RaceRoom the most, and especially the DTM 1992 cars they offer. Half the reason for that, is that RaceRoom has probably tuned their physics engine slightly biased towards it being easier to drive. I find it easier to catch the car if i go over its limits, but it still feels pretty realistic. That compromise makes it "more fun" if you just want to a few quick laps now and then. IRacing is more rewarding, but it demands much more time and effort before it becomes rewarding, and that is time that im not always prepared to spend. Assetto Corsa feels, as i said, a bit of a middle ground. And it have gotten better along the way with the updates that you get. My biggest problem though, is that since i enjoy all 3 for different reasons, i never get any good in any of them since i keep drivng all 3 instead of consentrating on 1 :)

As for the gfx, its not really a selling point for me either, i just notice i like the "simpler" style of IRacing as it is less cluttered and easier to "read" the track ahead. Also, the fact that it is the least hardware intensive is a massive bonus, especially if i where to invest in some vr glasses or a 3screen setup at a later point...

#2172 brabhamboy

brabhamboy

• 86 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 20:21

Lots of interesting news in this blog

http://www.iracing.c.../#comment-15670

I was initially not going to buy the Mclaren but reading this makes me think it may make for some interesting, strategic racing.

Just to give you an idea of the new technology we have developed for this car (by the way we received updated CAD for the MP4-30 as recently as three weeks ago), we are integrating all the technology you would expect in a currently competing F1 car.  This work has required us to redesign our engine model to support the F1 Energy Recovery System (ERS) which allows us to harvest thermal energy from the turbo and braking system.  We are then propelling the car with a Motor Generator Unit (MGU) that provides a bank of extra electrical power that you will be able to use for overtaking.  Because you will not be able to harvest enough energy to fully recharge the system, you will need to manage this extra power over the course of a race.  You will also need to manage your fuel to ensure that you have enough to run the full race distance.

We will also be implementing a Drag Reduction System (DRS) which I am sure is familiar to many of you.  Basically there will one or two zones around each track where, if you are within a second of a car in front of you, you are allowed to open a flap on your rear wing to reduce drag.  During qualifying and practice you will be able to open the flap in the marked DRS zones regardless of your proximity to another car.

When the new car is released we will have all of the primary tracks used with the F1 cars configured with DRS zones and will roll-out additional tracks as time allows.

Ultimately it is our goal to also have multiple tire compounds available for the McLaren MP4-30 in a session and require the use of both.  Unfortunately, this feature will not be in the December release but it is our goal to have it ready for the start of the 2016 iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series.

#2173 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:25

Interesting stuff there brabhamboy, I'm going to have to remap my wheel for the McLaren. But despite what the real car has done (or not done) this season, it's pretty cool to get our hands on a relatively new car and interesting technology. It's definitely going to up the game.

"Additional tracks"    hmmm, my curiosity is tickled, I wonder what gems may come out in 2016.

This is a bit of a side note, but usually big technical changes shakes up the running order, and this massive change may allow other Pro drivers to have a decent chance at the iRacing World Grand Prix title. I don't have an issue with Huttu winning so much, but it would also be nice to see more competition.

The Nurburgring is still on track, I feared to see them delay it again. I can't wait for December. Right now, that's all that matters to me.

#2174 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:30

Interesting stuff there brabhamboy, I'm going to have to remap my wheel for the McLaren. But despite what the real car has done (or not done) this season, it's pretty cool to get our hands on a relatively new car and interesting technology. It's definitely going to up the game.

"Additional tracks"    hmmm, my curiosity is tickled, I wonder what gems may come out in 2016.

I think you've read that wrong, "additional tracks" means they'll roll out DRS zones into more tracks in the future, as at the moment they'll only put DRS zones in a few F1 tracks.

Next year I wouldn't expect anything more than Imola and Le Mans up until the Summer when it comes to new (road) tracks.

#2175 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,157 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 22:43

17 races in the Grand Prix Series for me this season: 4 poles, 2 wins. Here's the compilation of all the action :D

#2176 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 23:40

I was hoping to do a few laps around the nurburgring tonight, but it seems the update took longer than expected, and i guess there are too many users trying to get the updates/new cars/tracks at once, because i have not been able to log in tonight. Guess the green hell will have to wait a few hours :)

#2177 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 11,979 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 18:33

Great interview with David Kaemmer about his sim creating past and the impending Nurburgring launch  :up:

#2178 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 23:15

After a lot of waiting, i finally got the update installed and nurburgring was bought (no shock there)... but to my horror this was how it run on my computer:

The fix i found (after a few nights of not driving much) was to set the desktop to another resolution than the game before i started iracing. Its a bit like my fps stuttering in RaceRoom Racing Experience, where i in game have to change the resolution back and forth before i race to get it to run smooth (although still a bit of micro stuttering, but not so much that is hinders gameplay). Since Raceroom ran ok on the exact same setup when i ran windows 8.1, and started immediately after upgrading, i fear there is some win10 issue with my setup. Unfortunately downgrading isn't possible through win10 anymore, so if i was to revert back, i have to do a clean install - and that don't sound to tempting at the moment...

Still it has worked when i have done the resolution trick, and all i can say is that nurburgring is great (the green hell, not the gp circuit), and highly recommended for anyone owning iracing. 

#2179 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:51

There are lots of discussions on the iRacing forums regarding stuttering (AMD specific I think) and the iRacing developers are on the case so hopefully it'll get resolved properly for you sometime soon.

Loving the Nordschleife with AF wheel, HE Pro pedals, SimVibe/single Buttkicker and an Oculus Rift.  :D

Advertisement

#2180 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 17:53

There are lots of discussions on the iRacing forums regarding stuttering (AMD specific I think) and the iRacing developers are on the case so hopefully it'll get resolved properly for you sometime soon.

Loving the Nordschleife with AF wheel, HE Pro pedals, SimVibe/single Buttkicker and an Oculus Rift.  :D

probably not only AMD specific as i sit in an intel i7-3770k and a nvidia gt680 gfx card :)

My rather strange fix have worked for me, but as i said, i think my problem is some what with windows 10 since i have a similar problem with raceroom that started just after upgrading :/

#2181 Peat

Peat

• 3,466 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 13:36

Nurburgring is excellent, as expected. Just a shame that the combined layout is damn near unusable due to the drop in frame-rate....

The Mclaren, much to my surprise, is an absolute blast! I've really enjoyed getting to know that car and the way the MGU-K systems work. It actually makes me vaguely excited about F1 again, it's a shame none of that comes across on the TV. In qualy-mode, these cars are insanely quick. 

#2182 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:15

Did a few laps in the radical sr8 around nurburgring. Captured the first lap after trying to improve the default setup (far from a clean and fast lap as i tried to learn the car) : 

#2183 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 17:22

iRacing to add dirt tracks, was it a april fools joke?

#2184 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,110 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 21:13

Apparently it wasn't, but I'm still not quite sure :)

#2185 Peat

Peat

• 3,466 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:47

Seems as though the latest patch has fixed the frame-rate drop at Nurburgring for me at least. 

Damn good sim.

#2186 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 16:20

iRacing are definitely adding dirt oval and rally cross.  :clap:  :drunk:

#2187 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,802 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 22:16

I've sadly not have had time/patience to play iRacing in absolute ages but I've been following what's going on in the forums, and I thought it was absolutely hilarious how they announced dirt. Successfully trolled all of their customers for days.  :lol:

#2188 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:37

I got a really good deal on a CSR Elite wheel and Clubsport V1 pedals, thought I'd give this a proper go.

Apparently too good to be true, pedals don't work  :lol:

#2189 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:08

I got a really good deal on a CSR Elite wheel and Clubsport V1 pedals, thought I'd give this a proper go.

Apparently too good to be true, pedals don't work  :lol:

None of them? The pressure sensor for the brake has been/still are a bit on the un-robust side, but the throttle is pretty straight forward. You get nothing?

#2190 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:19

Nada. Plug it in with the USB cable and no 'hello'. That said the little rumbling-motor on the back of the brake pedal occasionally spins into life. So the cable is decent(and I've tried it, and another on the wheel and they both work) and the brain on the pedals is at least partially active. Trying to find a PS2-RJ12 cable to connect the pedals to the wheel and see if that makes *any* difference but I'm not optimistic. 

I only paid $350 for the Elite + V1s so I shouldn't complain, but I only got it because I *didnt* want to go down that rabbit hole of more and more expensive items  :lol: I didn't want to do it at all until I could get a load cell and there was a good deal so...

Guy local to me has a Fanatec Porsche wheel and V1s for $200. If I could turnover th wheel(and the Fanatec wheel stand) quickly for a few bucks I might get the whole package. 

#2191 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:22

Nada. Plug it in with the USB cable and no 'hello'. That said the little rumbling-motor on the back of the brake pedal occasionally spins into life. So the cable is decent(and I've tried it, and another on the wheel and they both work) and the brain on the pedals is at least partially active. Trying to find a PS2-RJ12 cable to connect the pedals to the wheel and see if that makes *any* difference but I'm not optimistic. 

I only paid $350 for the Elite + V1s so I shouldn't complain, but I only got it because I *didnt* want to go down that rabbit hole of more and more expensive items  :lol: I didn't want to do it at all until I could get a load cell and there was a good deal so...

Guy local to me has a Fanatec Porsche wheel and V1s for $200. If I could turnover th wheel(and the Fanatec wheel stand) quickly for a few bucks I might get the whole package. 

Windows? And you have installed the driver?

#2192 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:27

Everything. Firmware, 205 and 226-Beta drivers. Fresh windows 10 reinstall, other computers, everything I can think of. No plug-in 'bloop', no signal in the system game controllers panel(the fanatec one), nothing in game, etc. 

#2193 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:29

Did you scream "FIVE!" just before plugging in the USB cable? That magic trick has saved me many times.

#2194 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 13:00

The issue presumably is occurred by a faulty main-pcba which we can offer you for $ 22.95 plus shipment. Please let me know, if you would like to order it

Pretty much what I assumed. The Main Box. Now. How hard will that be for me to install? 

#2195 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 13:20

The issue presumably is occurred by a faulty main-pcba which we can offer you for $ 22.95 plus shipment. Please let me know, if you would like to order it

Pretty much what I assumed. The Main Box. Now. How hard will that be for me to install? 

Not difficult at all. Two screws and four bolts. Cables are with connectors so no soldering is needed. You should consider ordering the brake pedal pressure sensor at the same time, eventually you will need it. Pedals are very good in general, great feeling, but unfortunately the electronics is not as sturdy as the rest of it. Cabling and soldering is not as good as it could be.

#2196 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:27

Got my new PCB, plugged it in, everything works fine.

What a baffling sim. I know it's hard, I know it's going to take lots of practice, I know the top times are downright inconceivable. But like, I do a lap of a track I've actually driven and I'm 7-10 seconds off the pace. I'd do a warmup lap at that speed in the real world  :lol:

I assume it's me not the game because everyone else is way faster than me but I can't get my head around most of it. It all feels very disconnected/uncoordinated and things don't behave the way I think they should. Including car/track combos I've actually driven. 

#2197 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 13:06

That's strange. Is everything set up well? Is your FOV right? Throttle pedal maxing out at 100%?

Are you comparing times under the same track conditions? It can wildly fluctuate if it's a cold track with rubber vs hot track without rubber, also if you are comparing to world records etc beware they might have been set under old physics which may be faster.

#2198 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 14:26

I assume so. Everything seems to be working and calibrated. Though the FFB doesn't really tell me anything other than wheel resistance and some shaking effects. Like in a stock car on an oval if I just crank the wheel over to make it understeer(and I mean horrible-going-to-crash understeer) there's a little bit of lightening in the wheel but I almost can't pick it up. And my wheel settings and game settings are correct, I even got a YouTube Hero with the same wheel to share his settings. 

The braking is a little weird with the load cell. Like if I put in x-kg of force, the red brake bar goes to 50% or whatever. But it's 50% in a Skip Barber car or a McLaren F1. And the braking is a little different in those cars...

Movement and the sense of motion are critical in a real car and obviously that's going to be missing in the game but it seems impossible to find the window where the tire/car work properly. Not perfectly, just properly. I'm either spearing off the road or snap spinning. On everything except ovals/stock cars. Where the cornering sequence is much longer and more delicate and the braking isn't as severe. Braking is something I'm struggling with but a little trail braking isn't going to suddenly bring me 3 seconds. 

I'm driving 100% through trial and error, I can't get to a point where I'm actually 'driving' the car and then working on the correct technique and lines to lower the laptime. 

#2199 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 15:02

Sounds like something isn't right.

With understeer there should be a lightening of the FFB, it isn't massive in iRacing but it is there. Supposedly iRacing use calculated forces from the steering rack rather than fake it and exaggerate it like some other sims.

For a load cell brake there is a brake force curve factor or something in the configuration that you'll need to set to zero. However 50% is 50% regardless of car as the hardware has a limited maximum pressure (unless you spend a lot more money like HE Pro or Ultimate pedals).

All feels OK to me, but then I don't have real life track experience to compare against. Maybe it just needs time for you to get used to the sim and the lack of real world feedback and using the available cues instead. I tend to focus on the tyre sounds more to make up for lack of back side feel by turning up the volume of the tyre sounds in the configuration menu.

Edited by Mark8539, 21 April 2016 - 15:02.

Advertisement

#2200 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 15:10

Im playing with that too, they make kind of rustling noise? Or is that too much? They're not screaming or anything. And I'll do a few laps and check tire tempes in the garage. I'm a little over 200s. I'm not at 100 or 300 or anything. 

It's like im playing with a gamepad or something, where I don't have enough fine control to find the area where the car is responsive. I have to run a really aggressive SKip Barber setup to get the thing to be relatively neutral. And there's no way seemingly to get it to slide on throttle. It just kinda goes numb and I'm adding more and more steering to try to get around the corner. But I'm not jerking at the wheel or anything. I've tried gentle entries, I've tried aggressive entries, why won't this ****er drift  :lol: