* * * * - 6 votes

iRacing.com

• Please log in to reply
2289 replies to this topic

#2201 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:25

That sounds very odd, Skip Barber slides fine if you're going fast enough.

Have you checked the inputs on the configuration menu? Are the brake and throttle between 0 and 100%? Is the wheel rotation on screen matching your physical wheel?

Advertisement

#2202 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 14:55

Yeah.

I also cranked up my FFB a lot, that helped. I was running 10-12 based on the recommendations for my wheel. I went up to 20-21. I'm getting the orange/yellow bar on the FFB meter, but I'm never flashing red(even when hitting a kerb). Maybe that's too high to work properly, but it feels better. The Skip is moving a little more, I have enough time to catch tiny-slides in the Cadillac, I feel a little more connected to the DW12. I've taken about .5-1.0 off my best times everywhere and it's a lot more consistent. 

One thing I have no problem sliding is the new MX5, the Global edition. What a piece of ****  :lol:

My next project is going to be beefing up my control mounts. I've got a Fanatec wheelstand/pedals combo, and it moves/wobbles enough that I think it may be subconsciously throwing me off. Likewise the pedals I think are rocking a little under hard braking, likewise my chair tipping a little. So I'm going to get some cheap lumber and make a little frame so the wheel, pedals, and seat are all fixed to each other and nothing is moving other than my arms/legs.

#2203 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 16:43

are you using one screen? What is your FOV set at? and how far from screen are your eyes? Make sure your brake curve is set to 0. 

what changes have you made to the setup? Id stick to something like the skippy or even FR2.0 until you can do what you want with it. 

#2204 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 22:38

Okay, we need to talk about brakes.

What does the Red Bar represent? It has a minimum and maximum value. % of total braking force of that car? What? 

Because I'm finding watching YouTube videos of good drivers and my own experimentation, thigs like the Mx5 and the Skip do really well on like, no more than 1/3 brakes. You're barely touching them. Which makes no sense to me because it's way way below threshold braking for something like the Skip. If the bar was a pressure read out that'd kind of make sense, but it's clearly not. And you're not going to dramatically under-brake most cars like that. 

I think as a compromise I may crank my load cell up, so getting maximum bar is a really big stomp(which you'd need in like, an F1 car) and lower levels are just firm presses, which is about how you'd drive a Skip for real. It's not going to wear out your legs or anything. But as discussed above, in that scenario it may 'feel' right but it's still going to be leaving a lot of the Skip's braking potential behind.

And yeah, it does rotate a lot more with vthat very light braking. Though it's not a traditonal slide a lot of the time, it's still wants to leave the track but it's just kind of 'twisted' the car. And no matter what I do with the throttle when sideways the car seems to bog down and understeer, like it's got TC. I've checked, I dont have any throttle assistance on.

(obviously I'm now just driving with a lot of rear brake bias and punching the throttle once I have it pointed at the apex to compensate  :lol:  :rolleyes: )

#2205 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,957 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 00:37

You might be better off debating the driving technique specifics in the iRacing forums, each car has a forum section and some people can be helpful there.

#2206 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,196 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:43

Okay, we need to talk about brakes.

What does the Red Bar represent? It has a minimum and maximum value. % of total braking force of that car? What? 

Because I'm finding watching YouTube videos of good drivers and my own experimentation, thigs like the Mx5 and the Skip do really well on like, no more than 1/3 brakes. You're barely touching them. Which makes no sense to me because it's way way below threshold braking for something like the Skip. If the bar was a pressure read out that'd kind of make sense, but it's clearly not. And you're not going to dramatically under-brake most cars like that. 

The red bar represents 0-100% of your brake pedal movement, nothing else.

How this translates into brake force, is variable in the control options.

I brake normally around a 1/3 of the movement, and have the brake force set such that 50% of the pedal movement would lock the fronts in the Skippy.

Experiment with changing the brake force, and your load cell force, to see what suits.

Also, in the skippy, a big stomp is rarely the fastest way, the car is really soft, and frequently its quicker to brake softer, and longer, than a late large stomp.

#2207 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:45

Also, a large stomp depends on which pedals you are using  - with the Clubsport V1 pedals I think it is quite a light large stomp!

#2208 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 14:24

The weather in this game is insane. Default is like 78F? Track temps low 100s. Did a Skip race at Okayama, it was like 83/107 or something. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR. Nevermind the laptime improvement, it just handled the way I expected/wanted. It was drivable. 

I'm not sure standing outside I could say "oh, this is 78 this is 83" Is there something about the default weather that's weird? 

(btw pole, battled all race long, win. Low grid rating but still, nothing like practicing the car on my own)

#2209 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,957 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 14:51

Been a long time since I last drove, but yes back then when weather/variable temps were introduced, people complained a lot that weather made far too big an effect on laptimes and specialy handling.

The Ruf C-Spec (fake 911 Carrera Cup) which I drove was particularly well known for being amazing on overcast weather and handle horribly on clear skies.

Pay very close attention to the skydome (ie, is it overcast or sunny), it makes a much bigger difference to handling than air temperature.

#2210 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:40

Hopefully will get to try this again soon!

I remember when competing in sim racing any time weather effects were turned on everyone complained as it messed up their setups and driving style. If it's more realistic (and not too big an affect vs real life) you could argue it should always be on to make it more realistic. It would also be a good leveller; hotlappers who do 1000s of practice laps will have their 'free time' advantage removed somewhat and make things less predictable which can only be a good thing.

#2211 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,957 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:23

Isn't that what's been happening for a few seasons now? The dynamic weather is always on.

#2212 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 13:07

On the other hand not having consistent weather, or knowing what weather someone set a time in, makes comparisons hard. Am I 5 seconds behind on paper or 2.5 because they were in Conditions X and I'm in default? The change is pretty crazy.

What's annoying me with Skips at Okayama this week is we're frequently doing the pre-event open practice at sort of 100F track tempt but getting races at 120+. That can happen in the real world, but not *every time*  :lol: I'm dialed in enough now, in terms of my own speed, that I don't really worry about the open practice and just go straight to my race. Though the Open Practice at least has a bigger and more diverse field so it gives me a chance to run with/compare myself to higher split drivers. I'm currently running at the front of Split 2. And looking at the times and the iRatings, I'm going to be *murdered* when I get to the top split. 

If anything the hot weather might be helping because it means everyone is struggling with the car so they fall back to where I am...

#2213 BCM

BCM

• 1,526 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:39

I did a whole lot of tests to see the impact of changing weather, temp and humidity at Silverstone in the Z3 many seasons ago. Changes in temp and skys made biggest differences. Humidity made none that I could see. Biggest step on cloud cover was from Partly overcast to mostly clear or whatever it's called (been a while). Temp was pretty linear. Can't remember the delta per degree in change. Cold was best.

I posted the graphs on the iRacing forum. 

Edited by BCM, 29 May 2016 - 07:40.

#2214 Logiso

Logiso

• 271 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:07

Anyone racing the 6h of the Glen? Should be awesome. Stream of the 13 GMT race top split here

and I'm streaming my teams pov if anyone fancies cheering on a fellow Autosport forumer ;) https://www.twitch.tv/isaacprice99

Edited by Logiso, 25 June 2016 - 12:08.

#2215 100cc

100cc

• 3,170 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 16:12

This is pretty damn cool detail.  There's been an asymmetry in most of the iRacing cars probably since the sim was new - some people had mentioned it before but now it's finally been investigated by iRacing staff. While it's annoying that a flaw that affects the handling of the cars fairly significantly (imo) hasn't been noticed for such a long time, it's very interesting to read about the detail that iRacing goes to in modeling the physics. No idea how other sims such as rFactor and AC compare in that respect.

I've only ever noticed it in the Skip Barber. Here's a sample vid of the same asymmetry appearing in the Lotus 79:

Dave Kaemmer has now replied to a topic about the asymmetry a few times, and they discovered that some parts were modeled wrong - or more precisely had wrong parts accounted for or the forces being generated on the wrong axis.
For those that don't have an iRacing account to browse the forums with, here are Dave's replies:

Ivan is correct that the angular momentum of the drive train components induces a pitch down torque when turning left (how much depends on speed of engine, rotating inertia of components, yaw rate of car), and a pitch up moment when turning right. We definitely model that--it's just a part of the multi-body physics. 

However... in looking into it, we discovered that we were including the diff case and ring gear inertia in with the inertia of the output shaft from the gearbox. That's fine in terms of figuring out the drive train constraint torques and giving the correct acceleration rates of all the components, BUT, the ring gear and diff case generally rotate around an axis that is perpendicular to the output shaft, since most of the cars have longitudinally mounted engines. The ring gear/diff case is not modeled as a separate body with its own inertia, since its speed is completely determined by the drive train constraints. But we realized that we need to move that inertia so it contributes angular momentum around the car's y-axis (left/right) instead of the x-axis (forward/back). That should noticeably reduce this asymmetry. 

The other detail we noticed is that we need to be careful about how the gearbox works for each particular car. Some have the input and output shafts in-line with each other, and a transfer shaft that is geared to the input shaft with fixed gearing, and to the output shaft through the variable gears. Other transmissions dispense with the separate transfer shaft and output shaft and simply combine them. The difference is that with the first kind the output shaft and input shaft spin the same direction (two reversals through gearing), but for the second kind the output shaft and input shaft spin in opposite directions. Again, doesn't really matter from the point of view of accelerating the masses, but the gyroscopic torques that are induced when turning the car are affected by the rotation direction. Fortunately the inertias of the gear stacks are very small compared to the inertia of the flywheel, clutch, and ring gear. So this second detail is a lot less important. But we plan to fix it anyway! (Next season, we won't make a mid-season change to all the cars like that.) 

It's a pretty small effect--will probably still be there to some degree (engine/flywheel and clutch are still rotating the same way), but essentially removing the ring gear inertia and angular momentum from the car's x-axis may lessen it noticeably. The Spec Racer has a transverse-mounted engine so it shouldn't have this asymmetry, as a point of interest.

There is also an asymmetry introduced by the drive torque. This is more noticeable on cars with a rear axle, since the diff is mounted on the axle, not the chassis, so drive torques more directly transfer weight between the rear wheels. For independent suspension, the diff is usually bolted to the chassis. Since we now have chassis flex, drive torque will twist the chassis a bit, giving some crossweight, although that is pretty small. That torque will depend on the rotation direction of the output shaft, i.e. the type of gearbox. 

Gave this more thought last week and this weekend and there is more to add. Basically, what I posted before is correct in that we were treating some of the driveline inertia incorrectly in terms of how it contributes angular momentum (properly a vector). In the driveline there is a lot of what what might be called "apparent" inertia. It appears to be inertia because when applying a torque, it reduces the acceleration due to that torque. 

In my original post I was focused on the ring gear and diff case, whose "apparent" inertia was assigned to the output shaft. Again, completely reasonable from the point of view of accelerating the output shaft (which is geared to the ring gear). In that case, the problem arises because the angular momentum that should result from accelerating the whole assembly (output shaft, ring gear + diff case) isn't all pointed in the same direction. We figured that splitting the ring gear/diff case inertia between the two driven wheels was a pretty good solution, since it gets the angular momentum pointed in the right direction, and still appears as inertia due to the driveline constraints, which keep all the parts rotating at the right speeds. 

But I was bothered by the fact that this fix--while it would reduce the "lefty-loosy, righty-tighty" behavior of the cars with longitudinally mounted engines--didn't seem like it would reduce the asymmetry very much. So I thought more about the other components and had a realization: the engine "rotor", which models the rotation of the masses that rotate at engine speed, includes some apparent inertia from the pistons and connecting rods. Again, perfectly reasonable to model the engine this way from the point of view of how much it accelerates in response to a given torque. The piston and connecting rod masses do need to be accelerated, and consume power in doing so. 

However, they are not rotating parts. At least the pistons (and a portion of the connecting rods) are not rotating, only a portion of the connecting rods nearer to the crank journal may be considered to be rotating. The pistons shouldn't be contributing any angular momentum at all. This is because gyroscopic torque arises from the fact that the linear forces required to change the linear momentum of the top and bottom of a rotating wheel when steering it, say, are not in line with each other. The top of a rolling wheel has forward momentum, and the bottom has rearward momentum. So to turn the wheel a force must be applied near the top to "turn" the momentum at the top of the wheel, and an opposite force must be applied near the bottom to turn the oppositely facing momentum at the bottom. Those two equal but opposite forces are not in line with each other, but in fact require a torque that keeps the wheel from leaning over. This is why on a bicycle or a motorcycle you need to turn the handlebars left to initiate a right turn, and vice versa. 

But because the forces required to change the direction of the pistons when turning the car are in line with each other (at least averaged over time), no torque is induced. So no gyroscopic torque should result from the reciprocating pistons in the engine, even though they contribute apparent inertia that slows acceleration. Now we have figured out a way to properly model all these driveline inertias so their apparent inertias don't contribute angular momentum, and it gives us a better way to model the ring gear and diff case, to boot! As well as the counter-rotating gear stacks. 

All this being said, the left/right asymmetry is still an effect that we expect to see in cars with longitudinally mounted engines. It just should be a fair bit smaller than it has been. Thinking back to when I was racing the Skip Barber cars, they definitely had an easier time turning left than right. That car has a stock engine, flywheel and clutch, and it is a very lightweight car, so the effect should be more pronounced. 

Just to put some rough numbers on it (and these are rough, depend on many things, engine speed, drive line inertias, wheel base) the current build gives an effect that is in the 40 lb range of weight transfer: +20 to the front wheels, -20 rears in a left turn, and vice versa in rights. When this is corrected, it should be more like 10 lbs, +5, -5. But that remains to be seen; haven't fully fixed it yet. But soon. 

Edited by 100cc, 27 June 2016 - 16:13.

#2216 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 18:39

Jesus, how do people notice that stuff? I just assumed, whether real or iCar, that some of those quirks were just the nature of the track or corner. It's not like you often have an identical left and an identical right and go "hmm, that's funny." 

So yeah, the only(?) left hander at Lime Rock always seemed slippery to me in any car. But I figured that was the nature of the corner. Or that because the track was mostly rights, the car was always going to be weird in the only left. 

#2217 100cc

100cc

• 3,170 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:09

I'm more impressed that we don't notice it.  

After being made aware of it the difference is insanely obvious. Before someone else mentioned it I did the same you and probably almost everyone else did - put down the differences to corner characteristics rather than a left vs. right imbalance. We do get a new car every reset so there was no real reason to suspect a bent frame :D.

Now looking back and thinking of almost any car on any track it's clear that left hand corners were the tough/loose ones.

Yesterday I did my first ever race in the RUF Track and at Watkins Glen the difference in right vs. left was really clear. With the Skip Barber ever since being made aware of the difference I've been driving the car with it in mind (aggression needed on right-hand corner entries to get the thing to rotate).

#2218 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,261 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 13:42

I did a ton of Skip races at Okayama, and yeah two of the lefts in particular are *awful*.

But.

The first one, turn 2(or 3? how do we count?)is kinda off-cambery and fast so I figure it's just the track. Sometimes it understeers bad. The worst one is the left just after the hairpin. But it's really tight and sharply downhill so I figured that was the problem. 

And it still doesn't account for the fact that I struggle compared to other people  :lol: 

#2219 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,158 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 13:07

Hope this is something you guys'll enjoy, a video I spend my last weekend on making, 100% made in iRacing:

Advertisement

#2220 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,051 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:56

Arrived yesterday...

#2221 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:35

Some excellent new car additions to iRacing recently

Presentation videos feature superb interviews with Hans Stuck and Geoff Brabham about the Audi 90 GTO, and Nissan GTP-ZX-T respectively...

#2222 sidewinder26

sidewinder26

• 31 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 14:44

The Nissan is very nice to drive. You'd need a very stiff brake pedal and heavy steering to bring the whole experience to life but very enjoyable. 

#2223 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 19:07

Great production values on the Nissan promo vid with brabham

#2224 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 23:19

Anyone got a promo code for a membership renewal? Finally got my new office setup and ready to crack the G25 out again! The last promo email I had expired in September. I know they regularly do 25% or 50% off for renewals but can't see one at the minute.

#2225 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 19:19

OK so the black friday deal has been announced:

http://www.isrtv.com...k-friday-deals/

But when I apply it at checkout the price stays the same?

#2226 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,196 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:16

The black-friday deals are for existing members, I don't think they will work for returning members.

EDIT: these are the offical codes:-

Our Black Friday deal is available to everyone - whether you are a current member, or are inactive and looking to re-start your membership. Just input the corresponding code during the checkout process.

Current Members:
1-year: PR-BF12M2016
2-year: PR-BF24M2016

Inactive Accounts:
1-year: PR-BF12M2016EXPIRED
2-year: PR-BF24M2016EXPIRED

Edited by Youichi, 24 November 2016 - 19:10.

#2227 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 20:59

Just got back into iRacing in 2017 for first time in about 3 years and I think it's improved a lot. On the same machine it runs a lot better, the physics are much more realistic (read difficult!). So much so driving the MX5 at Brands just now is a real driving challenge on the limit. The cars drift and bite, something they never seemed to make the tyre model be able to do (either too slidey or grippy). The faster cars are a real handful. Trying to drive the GT3 cars at Road Atlanta is so hard!

Finally got my first podium and clean race after the hiatus tonight, felt really good  :clap:

utcjvly.jpg?1

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 06 February 2017 - 21:03.

#2228 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,447 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 23:13

Shame they aren't doing the big black fridays anymore. 20% is pretty average. I think a lot of members renewed their accounts on the 50% off deals and they may lose a portion of them this year.

#2229 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,143 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 19:00

#dirtConfirmed

Had to try the Dirt stuff...
Not sure how much i liked it yet, but it is different to say the least :)

#2230 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:30

I know nothing about dirt racing but absolutely loved trying it out last night on iRacing. They have done a fantastic job with it!  :clap:

#2231 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,143 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 20:48

Had a new attempt at Iracing Dirt, this time at Williams Grove Speedway. The longer straights meant that braking was called for at the end of the straight (compared to my first laps at Eldora speedway where i just lifted turning into the corner). Not adjusted the car or anything yet, but it gets to feel a bit more natural, and that also makes it a bit more fun... although i'm probably dirt slow (pun intended) :)

As usual, shadowplay was recording the session :

#2232 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 17:38

Looks fun! Used to go watch dirt stock cars at odasl stadium in UK, 40 booming V8s going round a rugby pitch :D

Just missed out on my first win in iracing in years. Qualified 2nd to my surprise in the Blancpain GT series at Road America. In the MP412C with minimal downforce. Passed the leader on lap 2 with easy, had a 360 spoin before the pitstops, got back into the lead, pitted then made the crucial mistake of unnecessarily changing tyres  :mad: Didn't know didnt need to. Never had a clean pitstop race in iRacing. Came back out in 19th and fought back up to 12th.

Going again at 7pm  :smoking:

#2233 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:03

You should go and watch stock cars again, it's still going, Sheffield, Belle Vue, amazing how many people admit to going in the past but don't go now.

Tracks still exists at Odsal, but the rugby people have been arses about even trying to let us run there again. Despite the fact it would massively increase the revenue at a venue and club that is constantly being bailed out and put into receivership

#2234 Peat

Peat

• 3,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:30

Pretty much as i thought, I tried the dirt, liked it but have very little compulsion to do it more than just the odd mess around. I feel like they did it to quiet a vocal minority of subscribers.

I would have preferred that they worked on weather/day-night stuff. I guess the stuff they learn from dirt can carry over onto work on changing wet/dry track surfaces, so it's not all bad. I won't hold my breath though. #soon

#2235 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 23:05

Love affair with Road America continues - only second time out in the Porsche GT3 cup I got pole and bagged the win leading every lap. First pole and win for about 4 years in iRacing  :clap: Extremely happy. Missed out on the fastest lap by 1 tenth, room for improvement  :drunk:

Got a bad start but held onto the lead as carnage ensued behind. Lapped within 3/4 tenths whole race, no mistakes. :smoking:

Q6nOhWa.jpg

#2236 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,957 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49

Yep, looks like the typical iRacing GT3 race.

#2237 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 14:45

Anyone using Oculus Rift or HTC Vive with iRacing? I have an opportunity to acquire one of the two through a business connection and wanted to see if iRacing is any good with it. 13 years on and I'm still happy with GPL and never tried iRacing (mostly due to the limited stock tracks and cars that are of interest to me), but if it has good native VR implementation, I may want to try it for a month or two.

Also, how frequently do you guys find that your gaming rig needs an upgrade to keep up with the game updates?

Thanks

#2238 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 15:02

I'm using an Oculus Rift with iRacing and it is amazing. The iRacing integration is great. Previously I used triple screens but this beats it by far, for me. The resolution is lower and the FOV is lower (about 100 degrees, so lower than typical triple screens) but immersion is fantastic, it really does feel like you are in the car wearing a helmet - hear a car by your side, turn your head to see it. Judging distances to other cars and to the side of the track is also so much easier with the 3D aspect. Detail in the distance is lost a bit due to the lower resolution but you get used to it.

However... It is something you really have to try to see if you yourself like it. I love it, most other people who try it do so too, but there are a few people who have tried it and the aforementioned limitations plus potential motion sickness are too much for them.

#2239 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 15:45

Thanks. I've never used a three monitor setup, so I'm not sure whether I'd notice the decrease in FOV.

I wonder if the loss of detail in the distance affects anything such as braking distances and such or if it is a loss of detail on eye candy.

And another question regarding the Rift really, I believe it comes with a single base/tracking station. Have you found that to be a limiting factor in tracking?

Edited by kissTheApex, 08 May 2017 - 15:47.

Advertisement

#2240 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 15:55

Put your hands on the sides of your head, horse blinker style, and that is what the FOV feels like - it's better than the typical single screen set up, with the advantage you can turn your head for a 360 degree view.

I find that I have had to adjust what I use as brake markers in VR as there is less detail. Marks on the road sometimes appear too late in your view to use as a brake marker, so instead I use rumble strips, cones, trees in my peripheral vision more often as brake markers.

The other important thing with VR is that you need a decent PC to run it as it is important you run at 90 FPS minimum. I'm using an overclocked i7-4770K and overclocked 780TI which is not too far above the minimum you would want really.

#2241 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 16:30

Thanks!

The above is really useful!

#2242 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 20:42

Just noticed your question about the single tracker. It works 100% fine in racing games with the single tracker. It just needs to be able to see your head at all times, which as you're sat down is no problem at all! You only need a second tracker if you buy the Oculus Touch hand controllers.

#2243 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:02

Great. Thanks!

#2244 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 18:51

Gettting back in my iRacing groove now, 2 wins in last 3 races. Latest one was a Grand Chelem with 0 incidents and 20s lead! iRating climbing nicely. Was 4000+ when I stopped a few years ago, dropped to 2000 pretty swiftly now back up to 2600 now.

This was coming out of the final chicane at Le Mans to get pole tonight :D

OVMqjfO.jpg

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 11 May 2017 - 19:08.

#2245 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,107 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 20:42

81XqwOh.jpg

Faster than the real Priaulx on first test session?! Made my day if it is!

#2246 Peat

Peat

• 3,709 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 14:03

I've seen Frank Biela (above me) on the timesheets a few times.

#2247 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,703 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 17:11

Does iRacing have any sort of verification for real drivers?

#2248 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,957 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 23:44

Does iRacing have any sort of verification for real drivers?

Your online racing name is the one that's on your credit card. By default at least. So you'd sometimes see kids racing on their mom's names.  :D  But you can ask to change if you give a strong enough reason. So the vast majority of names are real. I think a few real guys asked to change not to be constantly hassled, but many drive on the open.

My nearest claim to fame was racing Will Power once (he beat me by like a minute in a 15 laps race :lol: ), and meeting António Felix da Costa, Philipp Eng, Tom Dillmann I think too, in some practice sessions. At some stage Stoffel Vandoorne was doing GT3 at the same time I was, but so were some literally thousands of drivers.

#2249 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,703 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 17:32

That's fair enough, but what about ordinary people who have the same names as well known drivers?

#2250 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 19:31

That's fair enough, but what about ordinary people who have the same names as well known drivers?

If they drive well, they probably could be mistaken for their more famous namesake :)