Photo

Kimi in 2010? [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4865 replies to this topic

#1 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,896 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:10

Kimi to McLaren just closed, I still think that a thread where Kimi is going next season is vital.

Maybe he is not going to stay in F1 for long, but I think he has few years under his belt and where he is going to drive 2010 is vital for his changes to gain multible WDC's while he is in his prime :up:

Please try to keep this in topic, and I hope we will get anouncements soon from McLaren where I hope he lands in...

Advertisement

#2 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:22

This will probably go the way of the Kimi to McLaren thread, through no fault of your own.

Edited by maccaFTW, 26 October 2009 - 20:22.

#3 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:27

I would like if he will finally retire from F1 and going have fun with friends or become a father.

Nick should try at last winning car in Mclaren.

Kimi has already earned something around $200M and won WDC. He is still one of the best but unfortunately F1 is unfriendly environment for him.

I will miss him. :cry:

#4 overmatik

overmatik

• 146 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:31

I'm sure Kimi still wants another WDC. Everybody knows that the club of 2WDC is much more special than the club of 1 WDC.

And let us not forget that he should already be a 3 WDC as of 2008!

#5 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:37

He'll go back to McLaren. Nevermind a lot of people already saying that he has a contract with them, or that McLaren his exactly the team he describes as the one for whom he wants to drive next season.

Let's assume a contract isn't done and that we can interpret recent news items from McLaren as messages sent to Raikkonen. It says something about who McLaren wants if they're specifically sending messages to a particular driver through the media, yes?

McLaren want Raikkonen. Raikkonen wants McLaren. When two sides want a deal done, it almost always gets done.

#6 firebone

firebone

• 186 posts

Kimi is going to McLaren.

#7 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

I always thought the Robertsons were the shrewdest managers in the paddock but after the events of the last few weeks, their options are very limited and they ain't looking all that clever now.

#8 Colombo

Colombo

• 682 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:02

I would just like to steal the opportunity to apologize to maccaFTW because I unnecessarily (but not with malice) attacked him re the McLaren MP4-17D in the now closed thread, after he already realized the factual mistake. Sorry!
On topic, I am also puzzled about this long gestation period and would like the McLaren deal announced ASAP.

GC

Edited by Colombo, 26 October 2009 - 21:04.

#9 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:07

I would just like to steal the opportunity to apologize to maccaFTW because I unnecessarily (but not with malice) attacked him re the McLaren MP4-17D in the now closed thread, after he already realized the factual mistake. Sorry!
On topic, I am also puzzled about this long gestation period and would like the McLaren deal announced ASAP.

GC

Thanks, Colombo. You really didn't have to do that, but it's very classy of you.

On the gestation period, I think it's clear there's some disagreement the two sides are having, be it about money or other terms of the contract. Equally, though, I think each side wants a deal done.

#10 Juanj

Juanj

• 46 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:10

McLaren want Raikkonen. Raikkonen wants McLaren. When two sides want a deal done, it almost always gets done.

Yes, but the problem is: Hamilton's don't want Raikkonen ):

#11 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:14

Yeah, I think the latest Autosport article about Hamilton wanting a "team player" could be interpreted in a way indicating he wouldn't be happy about it. I didn't think the rumors about him trying to block the move had anything to them, but I have doubts about my original position now. .

When push comes to shove, though, I think MW will just tell Anthony to shut up and and Lewis to shut up and drive. Given what MW said recently about his greatest regret being that Macca weren't able to manage the Alonso-Hamilton pairing, I think he still wants a super-pairing and probably thinks he's learned something from the 2007 experience that would allow him to better manage a Hamilton-Raikkonen pairing.

#12 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:16

Yeah, I think the latest Autosport article about Hamilton wanting a "team player" could be interpreted in a way indicating he wouldn't be happy about it. I didn't think the rumors about him trying to block the move had anything to them, but I have doubts about my original position now. .

When push comes to shove, though, I think MW will just tell Anthony to shut up and and Lewis to shut up and drive. Given what MW said recently about his greatest regret being that Macca weren't able to manage the Alonso-Hamilton pairing, I think he still wants a super-pairing and probably thinks he's learned something from the 2007 experience that would allow him to better manage a Hamilton-Raikkonen pairing.

McLaren kinda need it when you're up against Massa and Alonso.

#13 race

race

• 458 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:21

It doesn't matter. Hamilton(s) don't decide these things and the reports saying they could veto Kimi will just make Whitmarsh&co more keen to get Kimi to show everybody who's the boss. I suspect Haug's comments about Kimi's salary demands were in part made to soften the ground in case the negotiations with Kimi fail. The last thing they want is people thinking it was Hamilton's decision.

#14 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:27

Absolutely.

I view the top class in F1 as six drivers currently (in order of championship, then championship challenge):

Alonso
Raikkonen
Hamilton
Button
Massa
Vettel

Ferrari have two of these drivers. Vettel is tied to Red Bull for two more years. So it's down to Raikkonen or Button, either of whom I'd be very happy for Macca to hire. I'd prefer Raikkonen, as I see him as the superior talent. McLaren engineers have also spoken highly of his work with them, so familiarity and praise from engineers goes a long way for me.

Macca need someone from the top class in F1 to pair with Hamilton. It doesn't really do a whole lot of good to have a solid #2 to support Hamilton's title bid if he's not going to be able to take off points off two top drivers at Ferrari.

#15 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:27

Despite being a WDC, Lewis is just a kid and needs more F1 education to keep developing his capabilities.
IMO, Kimi is the ideal driver that would spell Lewis from his confort zone at McLaren.
In the long term, a weak driver #2 is bad.
So Kimi's presence there in 2010 is not bad at all. :smoking:

#16 Colombo

Colombo

• 682 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:28

I would be very surprised if Hamiltons do really have significant say in whom the McLaren team contracts as another driver. First, it would be almost unprecedented (especially for the young driver), dangerous and plain idiotic for McLaren. It must be a decision made by McLaren management in good faith and the best interest of McLaren, while compensating their drivers fairly for their contribution.

Therefore I'd like to see RƤikkƶnen at McLaren. But I don't have any illusions that Hamilton would welcome such a move. Why would he? When Niki Lauda was asked who was his best (or most welcome) teammate, he said "the slowest possible one"....that's the way we humans are!

GC

#17 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,366 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:28

Kimi is going to McLaren.

Source?

#18 spinne

spinne

• 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:53

Source?

So as I told on the button to mclaren topic...

I was in the spa paddock and had talks with quite a lot of inside f1 people not media and they're talking so much different as you guys here...

Here are the facts:

Mclaren wants Kimi...

and no i'm not a kimi fan! I'm just interested in the truth...

and the deal will be done...

and as a f1 fan ...wouldn't it be unbelieveble

Alonso/massa
Hamilton/kimi
Button/Nico
Vettel/webber

#19 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:03

Source?

You

Raikkonen will be announced as a Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes driver for 2010 in the next 48 hours.

Advertisement

#20 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:16

Therefore I'd like to see RƤikkƶnen at McLaren. But I don't have any illusions that Hamilton would welcome such a move. Why would he? When Niki Lauda was asked who was his best (or most welcome) teammate, he said "the slowest possible one"....that's the way we humans are!

GC

Yeah, we have to remember that Hamilton isn't really out racing for McLaren; he's racing for his own glory. All the drivers are. Schumacher did the same at Ferrari; he obliged orders to put the WCC for Ferrari first, but he worked his way into a position such that Ferrari would prioritize his WDC challenge above other drivers because he wanted his WDCs before Ferrari's WCCs. No driver has done the work to get into that kind of position yet.

#21 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:55

Yeah, we have to remember that Hamilton isn't really out racing for McLaren; he's racing for his own glory.

One option Hamilton can accept Kimi as his team mate will be that Kimi will leave team on 2011.

I kinda think that Kimi has already spoken yes from RBR on 2011,
Kimi looking to increase opportunity to raise his game, Mclaren is strong option, no matter which way 2010 may go.
Kimi Must have Hated to Leave Ferrari to make way for Alonso, this year.
I think therefore Kimi is very tough on his decision making.
:rolleyes:

#22 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 00:24

Why should Hamilton want him? he's got bigger boobs than Nicole or what?

#23 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 00:33

Massa was solid no.2 to Schumacher, he might slip back to that role.

#24 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:01

To this from another site - Apparently Kimi wants $30m to drive for McLaren. Kimi must be drunk :stoned:

http://blog-do-ico.b...-quem-sera.html

#25 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:09

To this from another site - Apparently Kimi wants $30m to drive for McLaren. Kimi must be drunk :stoned:

I see it also says that McLaren approached Barrichello, who I've been telling people on other forums would be a great choice for them. I'm not at all surprised they approached him; he'd be a great veteran choice with the quickness to challenge Hamilton and plenty of experience to bequeath to him on matters like car setup and development.

But yeah, $30 million is too much if it's an accurate figure. Raikkonen would have to come down from that.

#26 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:13

I don't know why everyone is so shocked that Robertson is asking a high figure.

It's business after all, they go high, McLaren goes low, and somewhere in the middle they might meet. I think by now most pf us have gotten to know Robertson plays hardball.

Hardball backfires sometimes, but all it is is negotiations.

IMHO

#27 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:15

I don't know why everyone is so shocked that Robertson is asking a high figure.

It's business after all, they go high, McLaren goes low, and somewhere in the middle they might meet. I think by now most pf us have gotten to know Robertson plays hardball.

Hardball backfires sometimes, but all it is is negotiations.

IMHO

Yup.

#28 RJL

RJL

• 3,173 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:56

When all is said and done, I think we'll find Kimi at McLaren.

#29 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:49

He's headed to Mac.

#30 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:03

Morning Lewis :wave:

How is the weather in Abu ?

#31 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:51

I think you're wrong. Lewis has a lot more leverage than what you think he has. The team loves him, he brings some sponsorship money, he brings McLaren on the map (for the casual fan who only knows a black driver is in F1), who brought the team its first WDC in a decade and he's still awfully young (25 next year).

Lewis' contract with McLaren can effectively end after 2010 (as 2011 and 2012 are optional years). If he's on the market, you can be sure he'll be grabbed instantly.

EDIT: You think I exaggerate with the whole "McLaren on the map" thing. Well, in North America, it certainly looks that way.

Edited by mkay, 27 October 2009 - 05:52.

#32 Regis

Regis

• 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:57

Morning Lewis :wave:

How is the weather in Abu ?

Kimi to Red Bull - Webber to McLaren. The only question is 2010 or 2011? If it happens a year from now Webber drives one more year for RBR, Heikki gets a one year deal with McLaren and Kimi takes a year off driving a few rallies in Petter Sohlbergs private Citroen team.

#33 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:28

Given what MW said recently about his greatest regret being that Macca weren't able to manage the Alonso-Hamilton pairing, I think he still wants a super-pairing and probably thinks he's learned something from the 2007 experience that would allow him to better manage a Hamilton-Raikkonen pairing.

Raikkenon won't need any delicate handling. It won't be as much a challenge as 2007 in terms of drivers management.
Hamilton-Raikkonen probably will be more peaceful, but it won't be as fun. I don't think it will be as super as FA/LH either, but it's definitely gonna be more expensive....

#34 Tobias

Tobias

• 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:35

Raikkonen will be announced as a Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes driver for 2010 in the next 48 hours.

Hope that happens :cry:

#35 Bishy

Bishy

• 989 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:46

:rolleyes:

Here we go AGAIN, yet more factual statements made online without ANY proof; source please?? :confused:

#36 GIBF1

GIBF1

• 585 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:47

All these people saying the Hamiltons don't want a fast guy with Lewis are paranoid as ****.

They will be bringing 9/11 Short Change style conspiracy videos out soon :lol: . On Kimi it would be a shame if he did leave the sport, we need a 'Flying Finn' in F1 and with the greatest of respect to Heikki, he's sh*te.

#37 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:25

When all is said and done, I think we'll find Kimi at McLaren.

I think so too.

#38 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:45

No way this greedy stupid bastard must retire! :(
If he wants drive Mclaren he should do it for free (or for food) and help Lewis win his second title. That's will be pretty fair. :up:

Edited by Odvan, 27 October 2009 - 11:46.

#39 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:47

I just saw that Gino Rosato is leaving Ferrari for Lotus. I know he is a close friend of Kimis so I cant help to start to think that it is not only Stella and Dyer who are rumored to be puzzled and really upset over Kimi being ousted the way he was.

Link: http://www.flagworld...6814#more-26814

Leaving Ferrari for new team Lotus is not exactly an obvious career move, is it. Of course - you can say he wants a new challenge and all that. But I still say that there is something rotten in the state of Maranello.

Advertisement

#40 teewoods

teewoods

• 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:48

No way this greedy stupid bastard must retire! :(
If he wants drive Mclaren he should do it for free (or for food) and help Lewis win his second title. That's will be pretty fair. :up:

Well he would make a good to numer 2 driver like he was at Ferrari and of course it wont be free Santander who sponsor McLarens are paying $30m. :wave:

#41 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:00

Kimi to Lotus.

Yessir.

#42 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:27

I think my Toyota dream's gathering momentum quite nicely. :up:

On a more serious note, though, I reckon he's going to retire. Which is mildly annoying because that means the entire team kismet will be on the dole (figuratively speaking) next year. :cry:

Edited by kismet, 27 October 2009 - 13:03.

#43 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:43

I just saw that Gino Rosato is leaving Ferrari for Lotus. I know he is a close friend of Kimis so I cant help to start to think that it is not only Stella and Dyer who are rumored to be puzzled and really upset over Kimi being ousted the way he was.

Link: http://www.flagworld...6814#more-26814

Leaving Ferrari for new team Lotus is not exactly an obvious career move, is it. Of course - you can say he wants a new challenge and all that. But I still say that there is something rotten in the state of Maranello.

Gino :up: :up:

Probably handed in his 2 weeks notice the day Alonso was announced. I'm surprised more of Ferrari's staff haven't done the same :wave:

#44 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:48

err, what exactly does he do? I'm not sure he's really going to be a big lose to Ferrari :-/

#45 JamesHunt

JamesHunt

• 303 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 13:02

"Raikkonen can still close with McLaren, but the chances of that happening dropped significantly."

#46 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 13:04

err, what exactly does he do? I'm not sure he's really going to be a big lose to Ferrari :-/

Carrying Kimi's helmet. :D

But on serious note - Lotus is a promotion for him - switch from logistic stuff to PR chief. But without a doubt Domi and recent initiatives could affect his decision.

#47 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 13:06

Isn't he the security guy?

#48 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 13:11

Isn't he the security guy?

He does alot of stuff... I think currently he oversees logistics mainly.. maybe security is bundled into that.

Apparently there's about 10 people working under him in the F1 team..

edit: AFCA would be handy just now lol..

Edited by Slowinfastout, 27 October 2009 - 13:12.

#49 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 13:23

I am a massive Hamilton fan but get a bit peeved when hearing of rumours of "vetos".

I think the competition of Kimi would bring Hamilton on in the same way that Alonso did. I dont know how well he develops a car though?

Top 6 drivers for me are:-

1) Alonso
2) Hamilton
3) Kimi
4) Vettell
5) Massa
6) Rosberg

Ferarri are sorted with 2 of these, McLaren could also have 2, and the remainder are split between the most competitive teams of 2009. Roll on 2010!!

#50 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 14:43

True . Hamiltons donĀ“t make the driver decisions in Mclaren.
BUT, Hammy is their "golden boy". If they say something, Mclaren will listen...
I think Lewis would love the challenge to race against Kimi in the same team, but probably Anthony has a different view ;)

Edited by meat, 27 October 2009 - 14:51.