Photo

Williams FW32 Cosworth

• Please log in to reply
1590 replies to this topic

#1501 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:49

Well done to the team! Congratulations to Cosworth as well. Must be good for everyone to be on the pole. A good reward for all the hard work!!!

Edited by DFV, 06 November 2010 - 17:49.

Advertisement

#1502 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,461 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:51

I think the best thing is that he didn't just get it becuase of timing and because he was the last to get a lap, he was already on pole before he started the final lap that tppk him a second ahead. He did it all on talent. :)

Indeed, no wet setups or stupid things like some people are saying, he's a great talent and he excels on this conditions. I noticed sometimes in this season with similar conditions, remember the Q1 in Japan, he was the fastest on a green track.

#1503 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 754 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:53

Congratulations to Williams and all their fans. I wish you guys a great race tomorrow.

#1504 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 18:03

My God, what a result! Was watching after playing hockey today and am absolutely amazed and unbelieveably happy. I'm realistic that many of the other front runners will be able to squeeze past Nico, but with the position the FI cars are in, it's a great opportunity.

Ruebens is also up there, but Nico's time was exceptional. If this isn't a case against pay drivers, I don't know what is...

#1505 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 18:05

This thread is going to explode if Nico misteriously wins tomorrow,Im so happy even tough i'm a McLaren fan I have always liked Williams :up:

#1506 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,407 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 18:06

andrewbensonf1 Andrew Benson
Nico Hulkenberg's race engineer says the German was on a fully dry set-up. "He gave us all a driving lesson there," said Webber

#1507 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 18:42

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9163844.stm

#1508 DW9

DW9

• 42 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:22

What a day! Like most here I was nearly in tears and shouting at the tv. If there was a doubt that we should Nico and Rubens next year then this performance has laid that to rest. I hope Sir Frank agrees and finds the budget from somewhere other than a pay driver.

Onwards and upwards!

#1509 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,209 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:26

Sen-bloody-sational!!!

P1 and P6, well done to Nico, the Williams boys and Cosworth.

Let's hope this cements Nico's drive next year and interests a few potential sponsors

:clap:

#1510 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:27

Have I been waiting for this!

#1511 chuffbiscuits

chuffbiscuits

• 250 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:27

Abso-bleedin-lutely brilliant! :smoking: Well done the Hulk and Williams after such a long long wait :wave:

#1512 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,070 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:29

Well done to the Hulk. :up:

#1513 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:32

The last time I heard that was when a Toro Rosso was on pole at Monza! :p

But Vettel wasn't 1s ahead back than. It was a great performance by Hulk and BIG BIG KUDOS for him :up: :up: :up: , but don't get carried away. He will be a sitting duck tommorow. Mark my words - Rubens will finish the race ahead of Nico. ;)

Edited by TURU, 06 November 2010 - 19:33.

#1514 Louis Siefert

Louis Siefert

• 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 19:41

firstly congratulations Williams and Nico
but I am waiting for the lights to go out tomorrow with Nico on pole
Williams have been pinched on the smallest technicalities before and have been penalized
Montreal 19?? brake duct size is an example

#1515 Absulute

Absulute

• 942 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:38

Wow! Great job from the Williams team, especially young Nico.

Hope you can keep the fizzy drinks behind you tomorrow!

#1516 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 21:25

Still can't believe it, it has been along time between drinks. Hopefully a solid result can be obtained.

Downside for me, I am not going to see the race. Flying to Wellington this am to stay with the in laws, no Sky TV........ Still will have to watch it when I get home.

Go Team Willy.

#1517 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,562 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 21:34

It's a great day to be a Williams fan. :clap:

I know we won't be seeing regular poles and wins from them any time soon, but I do hope they get a strong result tomorrow and finally overhaul Force India in the WCC.

#1518 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 22:16

Oh, GET IN! :clap: :D
Faaaantastic performance, I swear that it has taken about 5 years off Patrick Head. A big :up: to all the fans of other teams that have chipped in here too - a feeling than seems to have been reflected in the paddock - everybody seems genuinely pleased for Williams.
Vettel will be a threat, no question but Webber has a long history of going backwards from the start. Fingers crossed for a great race result - not that I would want the RBRs to tag each other or anything.;)

Edited by Garagiste, 06 November 2010 - 22:16.

#1519 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 841 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 22:46

Nico will have a tough time during the early laps. I don't know exactly why, but the Williams is a worse car relative to the opposition during the early laps. The interesting thing is that it seems to improve even before the first stops. You usually see Rubens and Nico losing ~ 1 sec per lap during the first 5 laps, then that gap is gradually getting smaller and smaller. At Singapore I noticed that they were still improving their times while other cars were getting slower every lap.

It means that Hülkenberg will be very weak and vulnerable in the early laps, but as the race goes on, the other guys will find increasingly harder to pass him.

Advertisement

#1520 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 23:12

firstly congratulations Williams and Nico
but I am waiting for the lights to go out tomorrow with Nico on pole
Williams have been pinched on the smallest technicalities before and have been penalized
Montreal 19?? brake duct size is an example

2004 with the Toyotas.

#1521 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 23:21

Who said Sam should go!

#1522 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 23:23

Actually, there is no place for that rich young guy the next year!

#1523 Louis Siefert

Louis Siefert

• 266 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 00:11

2004 with the Toyotas.

"The Williams FW26 was disqualified from the Canadian Grand Prix due to it having infrnged the regulations on brake duct size. The ducts - which provide vital cooling on the Montreal circuit, while being legal in cross-sectional area, were found to have excessive width - and thus in contravention to the technical regulations."

http://www.f1db.com/...e/Williams_FW26

#1524 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:39

Fantastic!! Hope to see Nico and Rubens in the Top 5 tomorrow!

#1525 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:56

Sometimes being eternal optimists pays off

Could not agree more; am absolutely ecstatic.

Couldn't watch live as am up in edinburgh visiting & we were late lunching in a posh restaurant but was following via the beeb on my phone... imagine the other diners reaction when i stood up and exclaimed "you ****en beauty" when i saw the result!!

I was quite emotional, actually

:love:

#1526 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:59

Could not agree more; am absolutely ecstatic.

Couldn't watch live as am up in edinburgh visiting & we were late lunching in a posh restaurant but was following via the beeb on my phone... imagine the other diners reaction when i stood up and exclaimed "you ****en beauty" when i saw the result!!

I was quite emotional, actually

:love:

I think we all were!

#1527 Norm

Norm

• 571 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:10

Actually, there is no place for that rich young guy the next year!

Let's hope you are right. This will be a stress test for Head and Williams. I am hoping they stay true to the roots of the team. Happy for Nico, Head, Williams and Stanford. Since Dickie began managing the team again things have been going upward. Fingers crossed for a solid race result on Sunday.

#1528 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:01

Well, it's Sunday morning and Nico's still on pole.

I'm not sure I care if he doesn't get on the podium (obviously if he does I will be ecstatic) it's just brilliant that he stuck it up there.

One crucial thing: It means RBR cannot break Williams'/McLaren's 15 poles in a season record, they can only match it :wave:

#1529 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:54

Well, it's Sunday morning and Nico's still on pole.

I'm not sure I care if he doesn't get on the podium (obviously if he does I will be ecstatic) it's just brilliant that he stuck it up there.

That's impossible I think as he was more than a second slower than both RBRs, Alonso and Hamilton in dry conditions. I still hope for rain

Hulk FTW!

#1530 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:30

Hopefully the conditions will be changeable, Rubens wasn't too confident of wet weather pace either.

All I hope for is that it doesn't go t!ts up in the first couple of corners!!

#1531 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:10

@F1Lite

There are rumours that the new Williams-HRT partnership could see Hulkenberg race there before returning to replace Barrichello in 2012. #F1

:down:

#1532 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 63,085 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:13

Id have gone the other way. I'd say to Maldonado and PDVA to split their sponsorship between HRT and Williams. Give Maldonado an HRT seat to learn the ropes for the year, but he can do straightline testing in the Williams, maybe some of the winter testing, and all the sim time he wants. That way Williams gets to keep their primary guys in their car, have Maldonado in their pocket, and keep some of the money (but still offer something in return because frankly PDVSA are going to get their exposure being on the better car)

#1533 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:28

@F1Lite

There are rumours that the new Williams-HRT partnership could see Hulkenberg race there before returning to replace Barrichello in 2012. #F1

:down:

That would be sad from a point of view but still better than being only a test driver or out of F1 and the main benefit would be for long run. It could harden, mature and teach Nico with those things which later could help him became one of the greatests.

#1534 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:06

As long as both cars finish in the points I will be happy :)

#1535 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:12

fantastic from Hulk. lets not forget Nico put the williams 5th on the grid in Malaysia, only his 3rd grand prix in even trickier conditions. he's shown he's got the talent, now he needs the consistency

#1536 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:23

What a waste of talent that would be!

Alonso and others did their turn at Minardi, but at last that was a team with a lot of experience, where drivers could learn a lot whithout too much media attention. But HRT does not give me the impression that it would be a relaxed environment...

#1537 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 63,085 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:27

But rookies tend to start at bad teams. It would be interesting to see what a top ranked driver with a year's testing and a year's racing under his belt would do with HRT.

#1538 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:33

Interview with Patrick Head:

http://www.cosworthf...ws/item/?id=237

Q: You haven’t announced your drivers for 2011. How tough will it be after such a result to tell one of them that for whatever reason you have to take another choice?

a) We’re not making any statement on that until after the season, and b) if we’ve got nasty things to tell people, I’ll let Adam Parr do it!

Q: So Frank didn’t say on the phone, “we’d better keep hold of that boy!”

No.

Q: Were Nico’s settings wet and, if so, where does that leave you for a dry race?

We are set pretty much for a dry race, which was forecast.

On the Cosworth engine (vs the Renault):

Q: With Lotus hailing its Renault deal, how big a shot in the arm for Cosworth is it to be on pole?

Nothing against the Renault engine because in their car and the Red Bull it’s very good, but personally I’m not quite sure why Lotus have done it. I’m sure it’s part of some sort of strategic plan for the future but in terms of whether it will make them any faster on the track, I rather doubt it.

#1539 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:49

Congratulations for Williams Team for achieving such a great result in today's race. P8 after starting from the pole and P14 starting from P6. Only Williams is capable of doing something like this. Great ..... no. :drunk:

Advertisement

#1540 roflcopter

roflcopter

• 159 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:53

Not surprised with Reubens, his performance was to bad luck. I have no idea why the Hulk dropped back so much. I guess it was a case of him getting in a perfect quali lap in not so fast car that gave him the pole.

#1541 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:54

At least Hulk scored enough points for Williams to pass FI in the WCC.

#1542 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:56

Hulk was great, he did very well. Team strategy was wrong.
Rubens had just bad luck.

Let's consolidate the 6th place in Abu Dhabi.

#1543 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:57

Rubens' pit stop was a problem, and that put him in the wrong train.

#1544 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 17:58

Happy to be back ahead of Force India, Hulk drove well under pressure!

#1545 DW9

DW9

• 42 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 18:33

Glad we got 6th today. Hulk drove well with the 4th/5th fastest car in the dry. Shame for Rubi getting the puncture.

Forgive the lack of knowledge but how do guys pit 2/3 times and still keep their positions behind the safety car.

Edited by DW9, 07 November 2010 - 18:34.

#1546 Tufty

Tufty

• 6,600 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:40

The best we could do today really... if Hulk had stayed out everyone would have leapfrogged him in the pits anyway... We can be proud of the team and the achievements we have made today, and hopefully Force India take a brilliant weekend in Abu Dhabi - but with Williams still pipping them ;)

#1547 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 21:28

would have liked more points but at least we were in the points. Which is better than some previous seasons.... Still happy we had a pole tho'

#1548 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 22:29

[paraphrase] I'm a moron [/paraphrase]

Anyway, ignoring him.

It was fun while it lasted, and showed that Williams can and does mix it with the big boys. The fact that only one points score seems a little disappointing shows how far the team has come since the first race.

Onwards and upwards.

#1549 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 22:39

Anyway, ignoring him.

Ignoring what? Stating the truth? Williams has a long tradition of blowing great opportunities and this race today was yet another example of that. I wish this team all the best, but everything they do in recent years is just a downward spiral. Losing most of their sponsors is not gonna help them for next year either. Of course you can ignore that and cheer for them because Nico scored wonderful P8 starting from the pole (not even speaking about Rubens). I'm no hater - There is just something in this team or rather people who are in charge that makes me smile everytime I see or hear them.  ;)

#1550 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 00:50

My thoughts are something like this:

''So yeah, Williams have finally gone ahead of Force India in the WCC, the bad news is, it's just one point, all after getting P1 and P6 on Saturday. I reckon after Red Bull, Williams are the team of the season to somehow be so awful in the race compared to qualifying and are finding themselves somehow in a worse situation than they should be.

By all means they should be going to Abu Dhabi comfortably in sixth by now, but they're not. It was, almost, another race for them to forget''

Edited by King Six, 08 November 2010 - 00:51.