Photo

Williams FW32 Cosworth

• Please log in to reply
1590 replies to this topic

#1551 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:08

Some people here seem to be forgetting that Williams have this year had a new engine that was, at least at the start of the year, way behind the best (at least in terms of installation/harmonising of electronics/gearbox etc). Since then both Williams and Cosworth have made great strides forwards and have in the second half of the season consistently had 2 cars looking to get into the top 10 qualifying.

Sure P8 from P1 and P6 on the grid doesn't look that good, but what do you expect with the 5th fastest car (Red Bull, Mclaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and arguably Renault were faster) on a track where it is at least possible to overtake? The Hulk drove well to keep a lot of cars behind for so long, and somebody like Kubica behind the whole race. Rubens was unlucky with first his pitstop and then the puncture.

Let's just hope Williams find enough sponsorship to keep the Hulk next year or last resort do some sort of deal with Maldonado to promote him as Nico's team mate in 2012, if Rubens wants to retire at the end of 2011 that is! That's where I would be worried as Williams have known for over a year that RBS would stop sponsoring the team, and now Philips, and Air Asia are following suit. Unless they have something up their sleeves for next year the car is going to look pretty plain...

Advertisement

#1552 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,438 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:25

Congratulations for Williams Team for achieving such a great result in today's race. P8 after starting from the pole and P14 starting from P6. Only Williams is capable of doing something like this. Great ..... no. :drunk:

:lol:

#1553 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:21

Some people are never happy. Points are points, and we scored more than FI today, that is the important thing. I don't think Williams could have scored more with Hulk. Yes I guess the pit stop with Rubi went bad, but then he had to pit again, I don't know what you call that, oh yes I remember it is called racing.

I am pleased but then I have supported this team for nigh on 30 years so you have to take the positives and I think the team have at least made progress during the year so that has been good.

#1554 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:46

More points would have been welcome, but 6th in the WCC is now a reality. Awfully tight going into the final race though!

#1555 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 517 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:51

Sure P8 from P1 and P6 on the grid doesn't look that good, but what do you expect with the 5th fastest car (Red Bull, Mclaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and arguably Renault were faster) on a track where it is at least possible to overtake? The Hulk drove well to keep a lot of cars behind for so long, and somebody like Kubica behind the whole race.

To be 100% fair Kubica was having problems with rev. limiter so he was loosing time where it matters - on the main straight.

#1556 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:36

To be 100% fair Kubica was having problems with rev. limiter so he was loosing time where it matters - on the main straight.

Hadn't read that but it would have made it easier for the Hulk to retain his place.

Having said that Kubica was still putting Nico under enough pressure that he may have made a mistake, but he didn't

#1557 Massa

Massa

• 7,608 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:42

Robert Kubica: It was a tough race this afternoon. I spent every lap in traffic but I didn’t have enough of a performance advantage over Hülkenberg to get past: I was losing a lot of time in the lowspeed corners, and I couldn’t use our top speed advantage because I was stuck on the rev limiter for a long time on the main straight, so couldn’t attack him.

#1558 barrykm

barrykm

• 609 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:44

A fantastic showing at Sao Paulo.. :up: :up:

#1559 hogstar

hogstar

• 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:40

It will be such a shame if Williams let Nico go due to financial restraints. It's been good to see Williams back to having a two car team this season, after the enforced Nakajima deal which depressed me no end. 8th may seem a disappointment for Nico, but I don't see how he could of done anymore. He made no mistakes and it is only his first year. He's gained much respect and if Williams cannot retain him I hope he finds a decent seat for next season. Rubens is the perfect partner for him and I hope Williams pull out all the stops to keep this pairing for one more season at least.

Advertisement

#1560 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,440 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 14:27

It will be such a shame if Williams let Nico go due to financial restraints. It's been good to see Williams back to having a two car team this season, after the enforced Nakajima deal which depressed me no end. 8th may seem a disappointment for Nico, but I don't see how he could of done anymore. He made no mistakes and it is only his first year. He's gained much respect and if Williams cannot retain him I hope he finds a decent seat for next season. Rubens is the perfect partner for him and I hope Williams pull out all the stops to keep this pairing for one more season at least.

Yep. They're a perfect mix of youth and experience. Despite his age, Rubens is still fast and he has a huge input in the development work. Nico is just starting to show the potential he has. The latter part of the season has been very good from him, and you could only expect him to be better next year. It would be foolish to let him go. I really hope that the team can sort out it's financial problems and produce a competitive car for these two for next season. This might be a start of a brighter future for the legendary team.

#1561 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 15:13

With today's news that Maldonado will also test for HRT after the Abu Dhabi season finale, I think we're moving toward the possibility that Maldonado spends a year in the HRT.

Theoretically, the money gained by moving from 7th to 6th in the WCC yesterday should really help Williams retain their current driver lineup. Let's hope they can keep 6th in the Constructors at the end of the race next Sunday!

#1562 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:55

Here's the preview:

Sam Michael, Technical Director
All of the race team are flying directly to Abu Dhabi for the final race of the season. It's a circuit layout that should suit the FW32 and our target for the weekend is clear: to qualify the FW32s in the top ten and maintain our position in the constructors’ championship. Both Rubens and Nico have driven well for us this season. Rubens has provided experienced feedback on the car’s characteristics which has helped us improve the FW32 throughout the year. Nico has made significant progress, with his ability to set-up his race car with his engineers developing particularly well. As usual, we expect the pair to be giving it their all in this the last round of what’s been a great season.

Rubens Barrichello
I enjoyed Abu Dhabi last year. It is a good event in a very well developed place. The light going away from us was something new to deal with, but you get used to it and we have a special, part tinted visor to help us with the transition. The circuit has a good layout; one highlight would be turns two and three where it can be quite tough to stay full on the throttle. With full tanks this year, that could be even more interesting. Set-up is an interesting challenge, while brakes can take a bit of a beating so you have to be careful. There are chances to overtake at the end of the long straight so we should expect a nice end to a great season.

Nico Hülkenberg
We’ve gone from one of the poorest to one of the richest cities in the world in the space of just a week. I flew into Abu Dhabi on Tuesday and have had a busy few days already. On Wednesday, I did a partner day with Jackie Stewart for RBS and then, on Thursday morning before coming to the track, I made an appearance for ORIS in the Marina Mall. As for the racing, I have mixed emotions going into the last Grand Prix of the year. We are all set, and I’ll be looking to get a strong result and putting some more points on the board.

I wonder what caused Ruebens to not get back to the pits after P1?

#1563 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 15:34

legardj Jonathan Legard
Williams Adam Parr says new finance is in place for 2011 after replacing all outgoing sponsors. No word on drivers

#1564 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 15:40

Nice.

Headline times from practice today don't look great. The top five teams all looked reasonable, and FI weren't that far away either. Would sure like more than a points cushion in the WCC!

#1565 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:43

Here's the review of practice:

Objectives P1
• Baseline set-up work
• Aero tests

Objectives P2
• Set-up tests
• Tyre evaluations

Patrick Head, Director of Engineering
"We have a few imbalances on set-up to attend to, but we will address those tonight. Rubens’ had an engine problem in P1 which resulted in a change for the afternoon, but it is not something which concerns us for tomorrow. The option is looking sensitive on high fuel, so there could be some interesting strategies in qualifying and during the race on Sunday."

Rubens Barrichello
Runs P1: Run 1: New Inter (1 lap, install), Run 2: New Prime (8 laps, baseline set-up), Run 3: Used Prime (6 laps, aero set-up test)
Runs P2: Run 1: New Prime (7 laps, tyre evaluation), Run 2: Used Prime (7 laps, set-up test), Run 3: New Option (7 laps, tyre evaluation), Run 4: Used Option (8 laps, race set-up), Run 5: Used Prime (8 laps, set-up test)

"Today we had a few set-up issues so the car didn’t perform as we would have liked it to. We have a lot of work to do, but we will make it happen."

Nico Hulkenberg
Runs P1: Run 1: New Inter (1 lap, install), Run 2: New Prime (7 laps, baseline set-up), Run 3: Used Prime (11 laps, set-up test)
Runs P2: Run 1: New Prime (6 laps, tyre evaluation), Run 2: Used Prime (7 laps, set-up test), Run 3: New Option (6 laps, tyre evaluations), Run 4: Used Option (6 laps, race set-up), Run 5: Used Prime (7 laps, set-up test)

"That was an ok Friday. The first session was pretty tricky and I wasn’t too happy with the car, but it felt more together in the second session after we adjusted the balance. We aren’t exactly where we want to be at the moment; it is really competitive out there this weekend and we need to find a couple of tenths in the set-up. We will see what we can do overnight and during P3 in time for qualifying."

Hopefully we'll see a step forward tomorrow.

#1566 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 18:46

Financially, we are in great shape. We are positive about the future. : Quote, Adam Parr, Autosport.com, earlier today.

Unless they have secretly pulled a huge coup like stealing Kubica, what possible reason can Williams now have for not confirming an unchanged driver line up for 2012 ?

#1567 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,588 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 19:37

i don't see any top driver going to williams at the minute sadly, maybe someone like sutil may move sideways but i don't see that as a big step forward from hulkenberg/barrichello.

#1568 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 21:53

i don't see any top driver going to williams at the minute sadly, maybe someone like sutil may move sideways but i don't see that as a big step forward from hulkenberg/barrichello.

:up: :up: Totally Agree :
So why are they risking losing either one of their current drivers by leaving refusing to re-sign them yet ?

#1569 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,588 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 23:55

:up: :up: Totally Agree :
So why are they risking losing either one of their current drivers by leaving refusing to re-sign them yet ?

I'd imagine they're leaning on him to raise some sponsorship.

#1570 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:08

I hope when Aam Parr says they have replaced all of the sponsors that are leaving that he doesn't mean with Maldonado's money.

Interested to see who these sponsors are if they do have some new ones.

#1571 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 841 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:20

Financially, we are in great shape. We are positive about the future. : Quote, Adam Parr, Autosport.com, earlier today.

Unless they have secretly pulled a huge coup like stealing Kubica, what possible reason can Williams now have for not confirming an unchanged driver line up for 2012 ?

I guess they won't do that before 2011.

#1572 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:36

I hope when Aam Parr says they have replaced all of the sponsors that are leaving that he doesn't mean with Maldonado's money.

I imagine 15million doesn't cover Phillips and RBS

#1573 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:47

I imagine 15million doesn't cover Phillips and RBS

Absolutely right. What I should have said was, I hope they haven't replaced ANY of the outgoing sponsors with Maldonado's money!

Great job from Rubens today, P7. shame Nico couldn't make the top 10 but let's see what tomorrow brings

#1574 Anderis

Anderis

• 4,075 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:09

I wonder what has gone wrong with Nico. He was even faster than Rubens by most of weekend, then second slower than Rubinho in Q2.

#1575 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:48

I wonder what has gone wrong with Nico.

Was very much wondering the same thing myself.
Just now, saturday quotes from Williams...
We then selected the option for Q2 and everything changed. My car suddenly behaved
very unexpectedly, I lost balance and grip and the car was just sliding around all over the place.
It was very strange and we will be looking into it tonight.

#1576 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:56

GO RUBENS :clap:

Rubens almost had Massa.

Again, Rubens with the worse F1 engine outpaced Schumacher pushed by the best engine.

It just shows his immense car development capability.

#1577 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 633 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:03

Was Rubens on option or prime tires?

#1578 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:03

Was Rubens on option or prime tires?

Options.

I think the tyre allocation for Williams looked like this:

Q1:
Prime
Prime

Q2:
Option
Option

Q3:
Prime
Option

It also explains Hülkenberg's sudden loss of pace in Q2 since he couldn't get the options to work at all despite being on Rubens' heels with prime tyres.

"Nico had shown the potential needed to make it into Q3, but something caused understeer in the slow corners in his final set of tyres."

#1579 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 6,299 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:23

Unfortunately, the eternal conundrum for F1 teams is how to get the balance between money and talent right when signing drivers. It's easy to get the balance wrong.

Adam Parr: "Hey, guys! Guess who I just signed to drive for next year!"
Patrick Head: "Rubens and Nico?"
Adam Parr: "No, too obvious. Try again."
Sir Frank Williams: "Give us a hint, then."
Adam Parr: "He hates the press and doesn't like to do personal appearances."
Patrick Head: "Kimi? Well done, boy."
Adam Parr: "No, my signing won't cost us a fortune. In fact he is very well funded and will bring us a lot of money and attention."
Sir Frank Williams: "Ah, you've got Alonso!"
Adam Parr: "No, try again."
Patrick Head: "Well give us another clue."
Adam Parr: "His family sponsored us in the past..."
Sir Frank Williams: "Oh God, no..."
Adam Parr: "Trust me, he's been up against the best they've got in America and they can't catch him!"
Patrick Head: "You have, haven't you! You've gone and bloody signed..."
Adam Parr: "Osama bin Laden."

Advertisement

#1580 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 633 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:51

Options.

I think the tyre allocation for Williams looked like this:

Q1:
Prime
Prime

Q2:
Option
Option

Q3:
Prime
Option

It also explains Hülkenberg's sudden loss of pace in Q2 since he couldn't get the options to work at all despite being on Rubens' heels with prime tyres.

Thanks. I heard in a radio in Brazil (JP) that maybe he set his best lap on the primes, but it seems they were wrong.

#1581 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:27

Unfortunately, the eternal conundrum for F1 teams is how to get the balance between money and talent right when signing drivers. It's easy to get the balance wrong.

Adam Parr: "Hey, guys! Guess who I just signed to drive for next year!"
Patrick Head: "Rubens and Nico?"
Adam Parr: "No, too obvious. Try again."
Sir Frank Williams: "Give us a hint, then."
Adam Parr: "He hates the press and doesn't like to do personal appearances."
Patrick Head: "Kimi? Well done, boy."
Adam Parr: "No, my signing won't cost us a fortune. In fact he is very well funded and will bring us a lot of money and attention."
Sir Frank Williams: "Ah, you've got Alonso!"
Adam Parr: "No, try again."
Patrick Head: "Well give us another clue."
Adam Parr: "His family sponsored us in the past..."
Sir Frank Williams: "Oh God, no..."
Adam Parr: "Trust me, he's been up against the best they've got in America and they can't catch him!"
Patrick Head: "You have, haven't you! You've gone and bloody signed..."
Adam Parr: "Osama bin Laden."

Oh, no !!! Please don't tell me next year's car is a BOMB :p

#1582 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,382 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 20:33

Bt late but great qualifying from Rubens, haven't heard any interviews though so was ther any reason for the second gap in Q2 between Rubens and The Hulk?

#1583 Empy

Empy

• 119 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:17

http://www.motorspor...p...94565&FS=F1
Hulkenberg leaving Williams announces manager Weber

#1584 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:03

http://www.motorspor...p...94565&FS=F1
Hulkenberg leaving Williams announces manager Weber

That's a shame if true. Still hope it isn't but maybe the 12mill was too much to turn down...

#1585 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,588 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:12

So, they got P6 in the constructors cup, the first of the privateers, but they made hard work of it.

#1586 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:25

*pops champagne cork*

#1587 saunarobot

saunarobot

• 250 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 16:08

So, they got P6 in the constructors cup, the first of the privateers, but they made hard work of it.

Maybe Red Bull was a bit higher.

#1588 acey

acey

• 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 16:09

What about Red Bull?

#1589 FEB

FEB

• 99 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 00:46

anyone has the overtaking video of rubens of sutil?

rubens said in an interview it was top 3 overtaking in his career...

regards,
fernando

#1590 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:16

http://www.nicohulke...leading-article

Thanks for all your work over the years Nico (and the numerous slaughtered testing cars)

#1591 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,588 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:35

yeah fair enough, forgot about red bull :blush: