Photo

Williams FW32 Cosworth

• Please log in to reply
1590 replies to this topic

#151 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:41

We can but hope. I like the underdog spirit that the team has. I only hope they can progress from last season. It will be extremely tough though.

Advertisement

#152 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:48

A lot will depend on the Cosworth, let's hope this is one of Sam Michael's better decisions.

I have high hopes for it

#153 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 22:25

Just been on the Williams website to see if anything new is up there and I have noticed that Rod Nelson's Profile is no longer up there. Does anyone know if he has left the team, tried a google on this but nothing came up.

I have to say that Strategy calls last year were probably some of the worst and definately cost us, but I am not entirely sure this would be wholly his call, I seem to recall Patrick Head had a call in Malaysia.

#154 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 931 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 23:46

http://forums.autosp...w...751&st=3360 post 3370.

There is a genius in our midst!

:up:

very very nice indeed

#155 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:12

Do we think Williams are going to go in their own direction in car design again this year? I can't wait to see the FW32!

#156 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 931 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:18

Do we think Williams are going to go in their own direction in car design again this year? I can't wait to see the FW32!

Good point.

Like you I'm beginning to become consumed with curiosity (now that Christmas & New Year are over and I'm shedding the extra 10 kilos I acquired and reducing my cholesterol to below Caligula like levels).

I wonder if we will see a revolution or an evolution?

When is the Big Unveiling?

Edited by Lord Snooty, 21 January 2010 - 10:19.

#157 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:21

Good point.

Like you I'm beginning to become consumed with curiosity (now that Christmas & New Year are over and I'm shedding the extra 10 kilos I acquired and reducing my cholesterol to below Caligula like levels).

I wonder if we will see a revolution or an evolution?

When is the Big Unveiling?

No big unveiling http://www.f1fanatic...-williams-fw32/

#158 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 931 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:54

No big unveiling http://www.f1fanatic...-williams-fw32/

:up:

Very Williams

#159 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:01

New Williams a clean sheet design:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81003

Williams is pinning its hopes on an aggressive new aerodynamic package in a bid to return to winning ways this season.

Technical director Sam Michael told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine that the team's new car would not be a simple evolution of its 2009 design.

"The FW32 is a clean-sheet design from front to back," he said. "It's pretty much brand new from an aerodynamic point of view."

According to Michael, the radical new regulations for 2009 gave the Grove-based squad the opportunity to bridge the gap to the front-running teams, and he believes that Williams's consistency last season is a strong platform to move forwards.

"The fact that we had a consistent car across all of the tracks in 2009, and wiped out a lot of the vices that we had in the previous car, gives us confidence."

Williams also believes in veteran Rubens Barrichello and GP2 champion Nico Hulkenberg the team has a strong driver line-up to help achieve its target of wins.

"Rubens is quite a demanding guy, in a positive way, because he wants to achieve things quickly," explained Michael. "He is unlikely to be around in five years' time because of his age and has a sense of urgency about him."

Hulkenberg is rated as one of the best young drivers around and, after two years at the Oxfordshire team as a test driver, is fully integrated.

Along with Barrichello, who pushed Jenson Button for the title last season, Michael believes the team has its best chance of re-establishing itself as a winning squad.

"The amount of pushing Nico is doing will be good for Rubens," said Michael. "Nico has been quick since he started at Williams and he's been pushing himself very hard."

Advertisement

#160 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:08

dont think anyones mentioned, but iracing are doing a williams fw31 :)

#161 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:32

New Williams a clean sheet design:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81003

Yeah, I just read this. I still wonder if this means the car is a clean sheet, but copying elements of say Red Bull, or whether they really have gone again for something unique?

Obviously the new regs will influence the shape of the car from the cockpit rearwards, but I'm interested to see how close the "clean sheet" design comes to the other team's cars. Only time will tell! I love car launch season.

#162 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:55

Just been on the Williams website to see if anything new is up there and I have noticed that Rod Nelson's Profile is no longer up there. Does anyone know if he has left the team, tried a google on this but nothing came up.

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=4071514

Yeah, I just read this. I still wonder if this means the car is a clean sheet, but copying elements of say Red Bull, or whether they really have gone again for something unique?

There is no such thing as copying in F1 technical world. That's a myth. Ideas are taken and adopted, thus forming different implementation.

I'm very skeptic about very different aerodynamics for 2010. It's a common knowledge that loads of aerodynamic implementations from 2009 cars are directly applicable to 2010 cars, so that's why i'm wondering... Williams had solid chassis+bodywork in 2009, but maybe they have had some soft of limitations with developments of that design and then went different way...

Cosworth is most probably the worst engine solution, and that's going to stop them with their plans. Add to that possibly average aerodynamics...

Edited by whatto999, 21 January 2010 - 12:55.

#163 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 13:35

Cosworth is most probably the worst engine solution, and that's going to stop them with their plans. Add to that possibly average aerodynamics...

I love all this bollocks about it being the worst engine. We've never seen it in action :rolleyes:

#164 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 14:29

Cosworth is probably the best engine solution and that's going to help them achieve their goals. Add to that possibly excellent aerodynamics...

:drunk:

Edited by DFV, 21 January 2010 - 14:29.

#165 Beatrix

Beatrix

• 146 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:46

Cosworth is probably the best engine solution and that's going to help them achieve their goals. Add to that possibly excellent aerodynamics...

I like that one better!

#166 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:52

I'm 50/50 on the Cosworth engine. I'm hoping they'll be excellent but they still haven't been in F1 since 2006. I definitely hope they nail it though and it does turn out to be reliable and competitive compared to the other engines on the grid.

I desperately want to see Williams win again while Frank & Patrick are still around and in charge...

#167 Talryyn

Talryyn

• 839 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 17:01

I'm 50/50 on the Cosworth engine. I'm hoping they'll be excellent but they still haven't been in F1 since 2006. I definitely hope they nail it though and it does turn out to be reliable and competitive compared to the other engines on the grid.

I desperately want to see Williams win again while Frank & Patrick are still around and in charge...

Agree! I am a tad worried since the new Cosworth team is basically a new company is it not, but this engine is based loosely on the old Champ car engine?

#168 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,337 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 17:08

Agree! I am a tad worried since the new Cosworth team is basically a new company is it not, but this engine is based loosely on the old Champ car engine?

No. The old Champ Car engine (XFE) was a turbocharged V8, revving to some 12-13k rpm. The CA2006 was an entirely different engine, the V8 configuration was possibly the only thing they had in common, they were engineered for two different tasks altogether. It's probably a V8 development of the V10 series of engines of the early 2000s.

And I'm speaking of the CA2006 because the Cosworth CA2010 V8 is a 2006-spec engine reengineered for the 18k rev limit and increased reliability, according to the company.

#169 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 18:00

Barrichello still hungry for success

"The dream to become world champion is closer than ever. [I am] feet on the ground working as hard as I can and working very hard for success."

"I've been visiting the Williams factory a couple of times already, so it is good to come to Cosworth and see the intentions," he said. "You can see good signs at Cosworth as well - they are here not just to do well but also to win.

"Technically it is good to get some of the information but also to pump people around, and say we are all there behind them - as it is a win together, lose together business."

He added: "You don't gain things by just phoning – you have to be there in presence. It is a really nice exercise and I am actually camping in the Williams factory with my motorhome.

"I am there for three days to learn everyone's names. It is a really good exercise and I enjoy it very much – that is my motivation."

#170 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,789 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 20:56

The CA2010 will be a very good engine this season. Cosworth are the definitive V8 engine people and they have senior design engineers who have returned from working with MB's F1 engines. The "frozen" engine development will play into their hands as well as the fact that the FIA need to allow the new teams a decent power plant which is not down on performance. Fingers crossed for Frank and co.... :clap:

(This post is my opinion only upon careful evaluation of available information. No responsibility will be accepted for any inaccuracies!)

#171 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 22:04

I love all this bollocks about it being the worst engine. We've never seen it in action :rolleyes:

I really hope Barrichello that drives very good car this season.

I think it's not going to happen.

Comprende? :wave:

#172 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 22:31

Williams change tyres in less than three seconds in pre-season practice :o

Edited by salamin, 21 January 2010 - 22:32.

#173 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 22:41

When I visited Cosworth in 2005 and development of the CA2006 was in the early stages, Cosworth called the Champ car engine agricultural/truck engine compared to the F1 engine.  ;)

#174 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,789 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 22:49

When I visited Cosworth in 2005 and development of the CA2006 was in the early stages, Cosworth called the Champ car engine agricultural/truck engine compared to the F1 engine. ;)

As I recall when Cosworth re-entered F1 with the V10 they were expected to be uncompetitive but performed very very well for the budget. They will have a very good team assembled because they no all about producing racing engines to a price and looking after all their customers. I'm a huge fan of them and their history so you won't get any negatives out of me. :clap:

#175 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:42

I really hope Barrichello that drives very good car this season.

I think it's not going to happen.

Comprende? :wave:

Of course I comprende, I just respectfully think you're talking nonsense ;)

#176 Dunc

Dunc

• 738 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:42

I was just thinking, could there be any more popular combination than Rubens and Williams? Both seem to be the only driver & team nobody ever disses.

#177 Augurk

Augurk

• 3,060 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:43

I was just thinking, could there be any more popular combination than Rubens and Williams? Both seem to be the only driver & team nobody ever disses.

You mean nobody ever disses blah-blah-blahrichello?

#178 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,017 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:16

Williams change tyres in less than three seconds in pre-season practice :o

Wow. Lucky the wheel covers have gone. I could see bits of fingers flying everywhere.

#179 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:17

Wow. Lucky the wheel covers have gone. I could see bits of fingers flying everywhere.

From an aesthetic point of view, the cars are much better without the wheel covers.

Advertisement

#180 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,382 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 18:07

Really looking forward to the cars launch and its great to hear members of the team excited about the posibilities.

Really hoping for another step forward.

#181 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 18:36

team nobody ever disses.

You sure you've been here since 07?

#182 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,203 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:32

Is there any news on who will be Williams' test/reserve driver this year?

Haven't seen anything up until now.

#183 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 19:12

Barrichello: I'm full of desire to drive my new car.

- I'm full of desire to drive my new car. I'll arrive in Spain on 30/01 and I'll start to work with the team in the adjustments and avaliations we'll do. I can't wait to drive it [the new car]. I think these tests will show some evidence of what will happen in Bahrain, but we know that each team has a different program. We can not have judge [the pace of] field [yet]. This year will be even harder to know the winning car until the first race because with a larger tank the variable will be greater too.

There will be drivers with very different levels of gasoline during the tests.
But we'll focus on our [own] team and work every minute, because there will be few tests before the opening [race] of the championship.

- I've physically exercised myself heavily in the US and I've droved a lot of kart. I even drive karts with gears, which is a great preparation for a Formula 1. I'm feeling very well with the planning of the training that I could do this holiday. I'm realistic and I know that it is not entirely up to me to have a competitive car, we must progress step by step. But I have a winning team with me and we'll do everything to get where we want, that's it.

Edit: By the way...

Engineering are firing up the all new FW32 some time tonight. Looking forward to coming in tomorrow to see how it went!

[ http://twitter.com/ClaireVWilliams ]

Edited by highdownforce, 27 January 2010 - 20:12.

#184 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:20

Rubens continues to sound so jazzed up! I am loving the atmosphere surrounding the 2010 Williams team :).

#185 PaulD.

PaulD.

• 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18

Someone is working overtime :p

"FW32 was successfully fired up at 3am this morning, wonder if it woke the neighbours?!"

#186 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:28

"FW32 was successfully fired up at 3am this morning, wonder if it woke the neighbours?!"

:smoking: :up:

#187 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:32

Guess they've got to start shipping the cars out to Spain ASAP.

#188 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,117 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:33

I saw that tweet too. What a time to be working... but nice to know the car's coming together.

#189 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:23

Sounds like 'appy children assembling the Christmas tree. :wave:

#190 depailler on tyrrell p34

depailler on tyrrell p34

• 314 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 13:44

from twitter
@ClaireVWilliams At Silverstone with the new car for some filming. Hope its as fast as it is pretty!
@NobleF1 Looks like the new Williams is having a shakedown at Silverstone today. Check out @clairevwilliams

#191 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,197 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 15:23

Pics?
(I wish)

#192 FI-Addict

FI-Addict

• 167 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 15:30

Pics?
(I wish)

Andrew Benson says the BBC are trying to get hold of pics and a video.

#193 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:11

Pics?
(I wish)

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81104

#194 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:14

PLEEEEEEEEEASE let this be a winner!

#195 Owen

Owen

• 12,977 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:14

good scoop! :up:

#196 PaulD.

PaulD.

• 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:17

Wohooo awesome! The Airbox looks tiny as well as the sidepods, huge "barge" boards infornt ot the sidepods (almost like the old days), front wing is interesting... :love:

PLEEEEEEEEEASE let this be a winner!

I second that!

Edited by PaulD., 28 January 2010 - 16:21.

#197 McLaren

McLaren

• 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:19

I didn't expect Ferrari and Williams (or any other team) to have the noses that high!! I guess there might be a few other teams that will also have this concept.

#198 TheF1PERSON

TheF1PERSON

• 552 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:20

Second new car, and it ALSO has a Red Bull nose.

Something tells me Red Bull are going to cream everyone this season.

#199 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,561 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:21

Every car is going to look the same isn't it? Red Bull clones. Disappointing. But it's not about the looks is it...

Something tells me Red Bull are going to cream everyone this season.

Yep, a year ahead with the same concept it would appear in theory.

Edited by Disgrace, 28 January 2010 - 16:22.

Advertisement

#200 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,258 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:21

I didn't expect Ferrari and Williams (or any other team) to have the noses that high!! I guess there might be a few other teams that will also have this concept.

I guess all teams will follow this concept.

Nice shot!