Photo

Williams FW32 Cosworth

• Please log in to reply
1590 replies to this topic

#401 Patriot

Patriot

• 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:57

Strange, no williams presentation, they immediately began to drive.

it happened before

FW went utilitaristic way long time ago

Advertisement

#402 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:20

Hello tiny rear end!

Edited by roadie, 01 February 2010 - 11:25.

#403 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:25

Interesting piece on the front of the splitter.

#404 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:12

Good to see Ruby in the 1.14s and getting the laps in (42 last time I looked and still going).

:up:

#405 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:14

Liking the 'Williams Hybrd Power' stickers, almost sticking a middle finger at the agreement not to use KERS.

#406 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:15

Hello tiny rear end!

I really am in love with that.

#407 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:18

Here's a nice side shot for subscribers. Really good view of the Brawnesque "snow plow" on the front of the splitter. The packaging behind the cockpit really looks superb.

I really want to see a decent shot of the diffuser now!

#408 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:25

Here's a really great shot of the car! Check out the slightly raised sides of the nose above the suspension and how tight the rear end is! To me the most noticable thing is the size of the beam wing. It's enormous! This will help drive the diffuser.

#409 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 13:37

I've edited Scarb's photo of the FW32 rear to more clearly show the diffuser. Still not a great shot, but hopefully better ones will arrive soon!

http://imgur.com/VaM3b.jpg

Edited by roadie, 01 February 2010 - 14:00.

#410 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 14:01

A couple more high res shots of the FW32. Nothing new to show compared to my previous posts though:

http://f1csatorna.hu...0/02/will01.JPG
http://f1csatorna.hu...0/02/will02.JPG

#411 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 14:05

A couple more high res shots of the FW32. Nothing new to show compared to my previous posts though:

http://f1csatorna.hu...0/02/will01.JPG
http://f1csatorna.hu...0/02/will02.JPG

The nose really is quite high...

Posted Image

#412 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:01

It is a difficult one to call, but I think we will see a different Rubens. Apart from the "blah blah" incident, where bad memories from Ferrari played a part, Rubens has been very positive and quiet. He even settled down, made the best of a bad job, and out performed Jenson in a dog of a car.

As long as Rubens is feels he is getting Williams' best, I doubt if we will have any problems there. Williams has been so starved of development input, whatever Rubens suggests will be taken on-board.

#413 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,407 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:31

Its another lovely looking design from Williams, here is hoping its got the last bit of performance Williams need to get back up to the top!

#414 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 17:28

Seems like the team had a good solid day with lots of laps and a reasonable time (though who knows really what program they were running).

:clap:

#415 hulmerist

hulmerist

• 1,026 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 17:31

why does it say williams hybrid power on the side...are they advertising their system?

#416 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,461 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 18:28

Yes.

More than 70 laps, not bad, about lap times, I don't care, we all know how special is Rubens style so he will need time to adapt.
TBH the FW32 looks a bit classic and outdated compared to some other 2010 cars, but that doesn't have to mean that's slow, gotta love that tight rear end

#417 BrokenBaculum

BrokenBaculum

• 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 18:34

why does it say williams hybrid power on the side...are they advertising their system?

Yes, it's a brilliant idea. Williams Hybrid Power, which is an arm of Williams Grand Prix Engineering, is basically sponsoring the team. It's for those who run trains, monorails and buses - public transport is the market they're aiming for, followed by tha car companies. Good luck to them, I feel they're going to make a lot of money off it.

#418 Like_a_Rocket

Like_a_Rocket

• 78 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 19:31

I don't think this has been posted before, but Rubens talked to a Brazilian site called Tazio today. Link here. It says that Rubens was all smiles while leaving the track.

Highlights:

"We had an electronic problem with the accelerator. It cut off the engine, and it stopped. Since we were 10 minutes away from the end of the test, we did not attempt to continue".

"The environment is excellent" - referring to the team.

"Today we ran a lot of laps. It was fantastic to be driving again".

"Schumacher is still fast".

"The meeting (i.e. meaning the team gathering after the test day) is very wide, very modern, everything is on the computer, and you need to write everything on the computer so everybody can have your information".

"It was a calm day at the track. I can't tell if the car is good or bad. We have different solutions, and more gasoline compared to last year, so you have go easy (note: he clearly means, before judging performance). It will be hard to know who's competitive until the Saturday at Bahrein. Between a full tank and an empty tank, the difference can be about 4 seconds".

"These tests are to check the car and see what's going on. Times weren't good but others had less gasoline than us, so we need to keep calm. We were almost 2 seconds off Massa's lap. The front tires are smaller so the car's understeering. It's a balance problem that we need to fix".

"It's got a new seat, new steering, new driving position, there's things that need to be improved and a whole lot that we learned. It was nice."

"It was a good first day with Cosworth".

"In the meeting I saw the search for quick solutions. There's no middle term. It's hard work, focus and solving problems. I'm truly getting to know this now."

Now for the most interesting bit:

"I saw a super fast McLaren in a straight, about 10km/h (note: faster than he was). Ferrari not as much, but also very fast out of the box. Sauber has impressed, but we have no way of knowing what they are running - if you need a sponsor it's easier to find one by running light, but I'm not making any assumptions. Renault on the other hand will probably have had the same problems we had."

About Michael: "He was faster than Rosberg, but in the afternoon the track had improved a bit. Michael is still fast".

Edited by Like_a_Rocket, 01 February 2010 - 19:34.

#419 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,461 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 19:35

Thanks for translating it :up:

Advertisement

#420 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,258 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 19:56

Another highlight from the above mentioned interview:

"Williams has a Brazilian side, warrior, down to earth and hardworking. I saw at the meeting today the search for quick solutions. There is no middle ground. It's work, focus and solve problems. This I'm acknowledging now. It is difficult to access the past and compare. The dream is up to the moment you sit in the car. It may be red, blue, white ... What matters is to be competitive and deal with it. I'm already at the stage of work and I am in a phase determination."

Edited by highdownforce, 01 February 2010 - 19:56.

#421 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 21:42

Combining an length comparison image from the sauber tread and a side view of the williams gives us:
Posted Image

(this method is not the most accurate, but it gives a nice idea.

Edited by Ruud de la Rosa, 01 February 2010 - 21:44.

#422 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 21:44

I'm going to bookie to bet on monaco tommorow.

#423 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 22:36

I think this method is not only inaccurate, but given the data used even useless: with this method you have to assume that
1) all photos have been taken from the same position and
2) with the same focal length and
3) the object you scale everything on (the tyre in this case) is each time at the same distance from the image's center.

1) and 2) seem to not be the case, because the first "studio" shots have been taken with a wide angle lens whereas the Williams has been taken on the track, so with a telephoto lens.

This means, that although to us everything seems proportionate, the wheels are distored, because they are away from the center.

Take a look at this for what happened with the first shots:
http://www.divephoto...s/726759309.jpg

You can easily see that the first three photos were taken with wide angle lenses: they all are taken from the side, and yet you do see the tread from the front and rear wheels, and not because your perspective (in which case you would see the same treads) is not well aligned, but because of the distortion, that somehow makes us feel warped towards the car and in between the tyres.

As the Williams was shot with a telephoto lens, which does not distort this way, the element you base your comparison on - the tyre - is not distorted either. If you had a "studio" shot of the Williams, or a telephoto shot of the other cars, this would give some tendencies, inaccurate still, but at least more reliable.

#424 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 754 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 22:40

(this method is not the most accurate, but it gives a nice idea.

More like that I think:
Posted Image

Besides, anbeck is right.

#425 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 23:53

I think this method is not only inaccurate, but given the data used even useless: with this method you have to assume that
1) all photos have been taken from the same position and
2) with the same focal length and
3) the object you scale everything on (the tyre in this case) is each time at the same distance from the image's center.

1) and 2) seem to not be the case, because the first "studio" shots have been taken with a wide angle lens whereas the Williams has been taken on the track, so with a telephoto lens.

This means, that although to us everything seems proportionate, the wheels are distored, because they are away from the center.

Take a look at this for what happened with the first shots:
http://www.divephoto...s/726759309.jpg

You can easily see that the first three photos were taken with wide angle lenses: they all are taken from the side, and yet you do see the tread from the front and rear wheels, and not because your perspective (in which case you would see the same treads) is not well aligned, but because of the distortion, that somehow makes us feel warped towards the car and in between the tyres.

As the Williams was shot with a telephoto lens, which does not distort this way, the element you base your comparison on - the tyre - is not distorted either. If you had a "studio" shot of the Williams, or a telephoto shot of the other cars, this would give some tendencies, inaccurate still, but at least more reliable.

I agree with most points, but when you check roundness (by visually checking by superimposing a perfect circle)all 8 visible wheels seem round. also the floorboards are straight. there doesn't seem to be a lot of distortion present.
to eliminate all these lens and position problems we need a couple of side shots from the test. surely a photographer who stands track side made roughly the same picture for each car?!

#426 Sajuuk

Sajuuk

• 45 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:40

Yes.

More than 70 laps, not bad, about lap times, I don't care, we all know how special is Rubens style so he will need time to adapt.
TBH the FW32 looks a bit classic and outdated compared to some other 2010 cars, but that doesn't have to mean that's slow, gotta love that tight rear end

Also Rubens said he did 46 laps with just one tire set.

#427 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:37

I love the look of the FW32... the part from the driver's head all the way to the rear wing is very classic compared to the monstrosities on the Renault, McLaren, and Sauber.

#428 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:35

More like that I think:
Posted Image

Besides, anbeck is right.

Gotta say that the McLaren looks awful, the Sauber is a little better and the Williams and Ferrari are sweet in comparison to those other two! Which one is faster is another question obviously...

Edited by DFV, 02 February 2010 - 08:35.

#429 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:11

Yes, the car is sexy! Let's hope it is fast too.

#430 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:22

Gotta love the FW32 with white rims:

http://twitpic.com/10zxyq

Edited by DFV, 02 February 2010 - 10:23.

#431 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:08

One more shot of the car at the end of testing yesterday.

#432 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:42

OK, now this is an interesting shot of the Brawnesque snowplow on the front of the splitter (credit to Scarbs). Is it just me, or is it in fact feeding a duct above the plank?

/Edit/ probably just me being dumb.

FW32 Splitter

Edited by roadie, 02 February 2010 - 13:23.

#433 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 13:52

13:46 Nico Rosberg running in the 1m16s, apparently with a big fuel load onboard

Autosport

#434 skinnyman

skinnyman

• 532 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 14:00

Nico changed team you know :lol:

#435 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 14:31

13:46 Nico Rosberg running in the 1m16s, apparently with a big fuel load onboard

Autosport

Probably belongs on the Mercedes thread :)

#436 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 15:06

I thought the 'M' word was banned around here!

#437 acey

acey

• 156 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 17:19

Looks lite Ross Brawn thinks that Williams might be having a few problems: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81208

And my gut feeling says the same. It's always nicer being in the 11's than in the high 13's. Regarding of fuelload and everything.

But hey, there's still time left before we start.

#438 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,209 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 20:13

James Allen thinks it may be to do with running slightly lower revs than the 18,000 limit.

Hopefully that explains some of the shortfall in lap time

http://www.jamesalle...-2-in-valencia/

Still very early days though...

#439 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,562 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 20:20

I'm going to be so confused with the two Nicos for a while I think.

Advertisement

#440 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 20:46

Sound's not everything.. but the Cosworth engine sound definitely stands out in the vids that have been posted. Let's see what the car can do when using the engine to its maximum. Allen suggests "but you sense that they are working on reliability testing with the new Cosworth engine."

Edited by intothepits, 02 February 2010 - 20:55.

#441 RiDE

RiDE

• 1,027 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:21

Gotta love the FW32 with white rims:

http://twitpic.com/10zxyq

Looks good :smoking:

#442 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:27

James Allen thinks it may be to do with running slightly lower revs than the 18,000 limit.

Hopefully that explains some of the shortfall in lap time

http://www.jamesalle...-2-in-valencia/

Still very early days though...

Ahh...

Interesting.

You know,what with the excitement of seeing the FW32, I'd rather forgotten about the Cossie..... of course, it is also the first outing for them and so they too must be feeling their way a bit....

Do we know how many units Cosworth / Williams have got in Valencia?

#443 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,401 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:44

^ Cosworth shipped the first batch which consisted of ten engines, so I'm suspecting Williams have two engines available.

#444 Vids21

Vids21

• 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:47

Wow they should keep the white rims on the car, that really looks stunning, looking at the whole car.

#445 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 936 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:57

^ Cosworth shipped the first batch which consisted of ten engines, so I'm suspecting Williams have two engines available.

Thanks.

I imagine they are being a bit careful with the engines then

:D

#446 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 22:36

Didn't see this anywhere but here's a quote from Claire Williams twitter:

Rubens is only doing long runs today on heavy tanks for race simulation work so don't expect any really fast times!

#447 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 23:09

Rubens himself said yesterday that they had the engines turned down, so possibly today may well be the same so I'm not reading anything into times.

#448 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 23:47

Nico changed team you know :lol:

haha sorry guys :blush:

#449 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,209 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:52

Thanks.

I imagine they are being a bit careful with the engines then

:D

It would also be of some help when one or two of the new teams (that are also using the Cosworth) get started to increase the running time the engine amasses.

Which new team is due to join the fray first, and when? I imagine it isn't USGP...?

#450 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,373 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:38

It would also be of some help when one or two of the new teams (that are also using the Cosworth) get started to increase the running time the engine amasses.

Which new team is due to join the fray first, and when? I imagine it isn't USGP...?

Virgin should be launching today.

Edited by Pilla, 03 February 2010 - 07:40.