Photo

Ingvar Carlsson RIP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 14:00

Rally ace Ingvar Carlson has died at just 62.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/79979

RIP Ingvar. :cry:

Advertisement

#2 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 17:01

He was from my home town in Sweden, but he was a bit before my age, so I don't know much about him, despite the fact that only 30 000 people are living here. I don't know why, but there hasn't been any obituary in the local newspaper yet...

Vila i frid Ingvar! Om jag skulle bara nå hälften av dina framgångar om jag tävlade inom motorsport så skulle jag vara oerhört lycklig! Nyköping är stolt över dig!

(R.I.P. Ingvar! If I only would be able to reach half your success if I competed in motor sport, I'd be incredibly happy! Nyköping is proud of you!)

#3 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 17:14

Posted Image
Picture © by Eddi Laumanns

Godspeed Ingvar!
It was a great pleasure having you for two years in the ERC.

#4 IanG

IanG

• 57 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 22:04

Very sad to read this.
Ingvar was a true gentleman. (As are most Swede's) I competed against him on many rallies and for quite a long time I always thought his co-driver Per Carlson was Ingvar's brother, but it turned out they were not even related.
In 1988 I was with Malcolm Wilson on Rally New Zealand and one evening on the recce we were staying in Rotorua. The two of us along with Ingvar and Per went out for dinner and as there is a lot of volcanic activity in and around Rotorua the semmed always to be the strong smell of sulphur eminating from the drains. Ingvar was totally convinced that the smell was coming from the local burger restraunt who's name I shall not mention. We tried to convince him that he was wrong but having been a customer of theirs on a number of occasions since, I am more inclined these days to think that he was right after all.
Ingar won the rally by the way.
RIP

#5 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:23

http://www.sn.se/sla...nonser/1.530210

Note: DOD is Oktober 28 and not 29.

#6 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 15:24

Sad sad news.
After Harry Kallström and Pentti Airikkala earlier this year, this is a bad year for rallying.
:cry:

Think the name of Ingvar Carlsson is pretty common in Sweden (recently there was a Sweden Prime Minister by the same name, if I remember well).
I have in my files one Ingvar Carlsson who drove a GRD in the Swedish Formula 3 Championship in 1972.
And in the mid-1980s the Volvo team that participated in the European Touring Car Championship, had one Ingvar Carlsson as works driver, alongside Gianfranco Brancatelli, Ulf Granberg, the late Anders Olofsson, Thomas lindstrom and others.
Was he the same Ingvar Carlsson, former Mazda Rally Team Europe driver?

#7 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 15:47

I have in my files one Ingvar Carlsson who drove a GRD in the Swedish Formula 3 Championship in 1972.
And in the mid-1980s the Volvo team that participated in the European Touring Car Championship, had one Ingvar Carlsson as works driver, alongside Gianfranco Brancatelli, Ulf Granberg, the late Anders Olofsson, Thomas lindstrom and others.
Was he the same Ingvar Carlsson, former Mazda Rally Team Europe driver?

Yes, he was!

#8 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 22:11

And in this BMW on the 1972 Scottish Rally? -with I.(Ingemar?) Carlsson, just to confuse things further? (at Glen Urquart, next to the favourite Loch Ness Monster watching site)

Posted Image

#9 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 22:23

In 1971 and 1972 Ingvar drove a BMW 2002 Ti or Tii, so i guess it’s him. His co-driver in those days was Lars-Göran Berg.

#10 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 23:25

Crew on 72 Scottish was "I.Carlsson/I.Carlsson". Someone said it was his brother?

#11 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:23

As the Swedes tend to swap a K with a C (or vice versa) perhaps it is this one: http://www.rallybase...p;driverid=3817
Although – his Rallybase record starts in 1989 only… :rolleyes:

However, here http://www.rallybase...pe=driversearch I cannot find another I. Carlsson.