Photo

Ross Brawn -the new legend

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 WorldChampion

WorldChampion

• 87 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:09

Well I think it is the time to place Ross Brawn alongisde Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapmann as the new legendary team leader. Enzo was legend because of his determination and style and huge legacy that he left behind. Colin was legendary innovator and rule bender. Ross can be considered as a legendary tactician, both on the race field and bussenis field.

Look here, he had a role in Alan Jones title wining, He had huge role in Benetton WCC and Schumacher WDC in mid 90s, also he had a huge role in Ferrari mega sucess in late 90 and early 00, But he is having a huge role right now in mercedeses full comeback since mid 50s and will most certanly have a huge role in their possible domination in upcoming years. But he was the man that rescued Honda's sinking ship, not only that he wea overssing car developement but he saw the loophole in DDD rule, also he turned down Virgin, when 99,99% would accept any offer from Branson, he told him to stick his money where the sun doesnt shine, and he knew the BIG FISH will bite, and it did.

RESPECT, True genious.

Advertisement

#2 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:13

Brawn is just a manager who is very astute.

Tauranac and Brabham etc are F1 team leader legends :up:

#3 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 23:31

Soon giacomo will come around and crown Ross Brawn the king of F1!

#4 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 23:45

He´s a very very clever man. He´s also very modest and determined. A lot of fine qualities.

#5 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 00:14

Fully agree Rhodie...

The guy is WORLDCLASS!

:up: So nice to see someone involved at the highest level of motorsport that is still down to earth and does not have his head shoved up his own backside!

#6 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:24

Ross Brawn is a very good team manager. Gets the right people for the right job and makes it work.

Not sure if an efficient office manager is a legend.

#7 vmk

vmk

• 187 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:43

No doubt Benz would have not bought the team if not for him but he did not personally figure out the DDD lol

Edited by vmk, 17 November 2009 - 01:43.

#8 AndreasF1

AndreasF1

• 1,200 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:47

Ross Brawn is a very good team manager. Gets the right people for the right job and makes it work.

Not sure if an efficient office manager is a legend.

Legends are made over time. RB became famous with MS successes. His accomplishment with Brawn GP and the sale to Mercedes is the stuff legends are made off. To call him an efficient office manager is an insult and in 20 years people will have a much higher appreciation for this amazing legend in the making.

#9 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:52

Well I think it is the time to place Ross Brawn alongisde Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapmann as the new legendary team leader. Enzo was legend because of his determination and style and huge legacy that he left behind. Colin was legendary innovator and rule bender. Ross can be considered as a legendary tactician, both on the race field and bussenis field.

Look here, he had a role in Alan Jones title wining, He had huge role in Benetton WCC and Schumacher WDC in mid 90s, also he had a huge role in Ferrari mega sucess in late 90 and early 00, But he is having a huge role right now in mercedeses full comeback since mid 50s and will most certanly have a huge role in their possible domination in upcoming years. But he was the man that rescued Honda's sinking ship, not only that he wea overssing car developement but he saw the loophole in DDD rule, also he turned down Virgin, when 99,99% would accept any offer from Branson, he told him to stick his money where the sun doesnt shine, and he knew the BIG FISH will bite, and it did.

RESPECT, True genious.

Best move of his career was telling the "Rebel Billionaire" to shove it. Bronson is such an ass.

Brawn is genius on all aspects of Grand Prix Engineering, Rule Interpretation and driver identifier. He has it all.

Edited by ch103, 17 November 2009 - 01:53.

#10 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:54

No doubt Benz would have not bought the team if not for him but he did not personally figure out the DDD lol

Who came up with the DDD then?

I assume an engineering team who reported to him?

#11 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:13

DDD aside, the deal Ross pulled is legendary even from a entrepreneurial point of view. He bought the team for nothing, got Honda to effectively pay for the team's running costs for a season, risked pretty much none of his own capital, won both championships and is cashing out in less than 8 months (Honda deal was finalized in March 09 right?)

Technical skills aside you got to admire that acumen.

#12 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:21

Should we not throw in that he penned an World Championship winning sportscar as well?

Ross Brawn is all that anyone would want in a team manager, able to see the big picture, able to see talent and stroke it which ever way that talent needs to be stroked, not falling into a trap of thinking that a winning driver is by default a great driver.

He may not be a legend (yet), but he has firmly established himself as a very very good manager of teams, tech departments and strategizing.

:cool:

#13 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:31

Well, a chassis called a "Brawn" won the F1 Constructor's Championship in its first (and now) only attempt... So, he must be doing something right.

#14 e34fanatic

e34fanatic

• 182 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:43

One of the Top Motorsport Leader of all time! He really has designed (or being the leader of the team that designed) cars that were quick from the word go. Quite often people didn´t realize how competetive these machines were. 1991 Group-C Jag was one of those cars. It really made Peugeot look ancient and that machine was only six months earlier really futuristic. And Jag was fast, Teo Fabi became World Champion with that. Then he designed Benetton B192. Michael Schumacher qualified that car in front-row in the very first race. There was no need to "dial the car in". And that´s been pretty much the case with Ross cars ever since.

#15 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:39

Don't forget Rubens role in Brawn's success.
Rubens was the one to lobby Brawn hire along the Honda staff for the team leadership position.
Rubens tried to do a Schumacher, just like when MS brought all his Benetton staff to support him at Ferrari.
But of course it didn't work. :(

The most amazing thing is that with just some months in the team, Ross decided to shift focus to the next season car and the Honda board sold the team to him, trusting the duty to make the team survive and sustain the jobs - instead of Nick Fry, that has been there for ages.

#16 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 16:23

He's trully clever.

#17 eff1fan

eff1fan

• 339 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:05

Well I think it is the time to place Ross Brawn alongisde Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapmann

No question that Brawn is quite possibly the best in his field right now - but it's crazy to compare him to either Ferrari or Chapman.
Give the man a chance...

#18 D for desire

D for desire

• 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:23

Ron Dennis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ross Brawn

#19 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:32

Ron Dennis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ross Brawn

Very brief introduction to very long career on this BB? :)

Advertisement

#20 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 388 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:45

"By rough estimates, presuming that he held a majority stake in Brawn GP, he must have personally made around £30 million this year from taking on the team from Honda for £1 and then reselling it nine months later."

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Ross Brawn= legendary businessman :up:

#21 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:49

As if his accomplishments in F1 prior to 2009 were not enough, in its first and only year in F1, Brawn GP won both the WDC and WCC. That is setting the bar awfully high. His legend will no doubt grow as the years go by.

Edited by J2NH, 17 November 2009 - 17:50.

#22 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 18:00

Sure he is a legend. He should have got a MBE right now.

#23 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 18:03

If he lets Button go - then he is a bit of an idiot imho.

#24 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:49

He is a Legend in the true sense... his name Brawn will go down in the F1 history books. Not just for the Brawn F1 success but everything he's done up to this point.

I have also show my respect for Nick Fry. He took alot of stick but in the end he delivered what he said he would. The structure and organisation to win... totally redeemed himself.

I am a Brawn fan... not hot on Mercedes though.

#25 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:52

His results speak for themself. He is a cut above the rest, i give him that. Even though Brawn and Newey are in different fields, I must give the nod to Brawn. Managing a shambles of a team that was Honda and winning both world titles? That takes some doing. :eek:

#26 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 20:11

Ross Brawn, pure quality. :up:

#27 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,435 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 20:38

He´s a very very clever man. He´s also very modest and determined. A lot of fine qualities.

For once I am very inclined to agree with you :)

#28 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 20:43

If he lets Button go - then he is a bit of an idiot imho.

More like if Button let Brawn go because of pure greed and insecurity about being valued would be an idiot move.

But, anyway, Brawn's legend is definitely still in the making. While I wouldn't compare him to Enzo Ferrari himself he certainly is up there with the prolific team bosses of the past.

#29 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 21:14

he'll be thought of as a legend in years to come no doubt...lets remember that very few are legends in their own time.

#30 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 21:14

Couldnt agree more with the OP. No individual team member has been so instrumental in F1 in the modern era. People knew how important Ross was on the pit wall whilst with Schumacher at Ferrari and Benetton but this year he's proved beyond a reasonable doubt he's the most talented manager, engineer and team owner in the cut throat business that is F1. In the last year of the big constructors and the first big rule change for over 10 years Ross has pulled a masterstroke to beat all comers and has earned every penny of the Mercedes money through his hard work, commitment and pure genius :up:

#31 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:01

Would be interesting to know what people think of Ross Brawn after three seasons at Mercedes. I very much like his way of working or personality but the Mercedes Formula1 results are yet to speak.

Has the team he has built at Mercedes over 2011 and 2012 finally deliver?

#32 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13

Has the team he has built at Mercedes over 2011 and 2012 finally deliver?

I hate to be the downer, but any team with Nick Fry in it is prone to failure. :stoned:

#33 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:36

I hate to be the downer, but any team with Nick Fry in it is prone to failure. :stoned:

Nick Fry still there when they won 2009 title. I'm thinking RRA and Mercedes control to be at fault for their downfall.

Edited by Reinmuster, 06 December 2012 - 05:47.

#34 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02

Get ready to open a similar thread for Adrian newey and Christian Horner by this time next year ... oh and by no. of championships, please also open another pointeless thread dedicated to the legend Flavio Briatore. :wave:

pointless threads are pointless :rolleyes:

#35 moorsey

moorsey

• 653 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:11

Get ready to open a similar thread for Adrian newey and Christian Horner by this time next year ... oh and by no. of championships, please also open another pointeless thread dedicated to the legend Flavio Briatore. :wave:

pointless threads are pointless :rolleyes:

Why post in them then?

#36 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:16

Why post in them then?

for the simple reason that if anyone were to credit ross brawn for Ferrari's success, then also must acknowledge the even greater contribution of Jean todt who i think is the real meister behind ferrari's prolonged success. but aside from that, brawns stint at honda and after DD-WDC of 2009 at MGP leaves much to be desired and thus christening him legend is a bit too presumptuous don't you think???

P.S before start bashing, i'd point out that i really admire Ross brawn, he's one of the best in the business, but legend ... not yet, i'll admit that after MGP doubles.

Edited by eronrules, 06 December 2012 - 08:19.

#37 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29

He's also a bit of a prick if you work for him as an engineer I have been told. I know its a ruthless business but Ross is feared more than respected by those under him.

#38 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28

I don't consider him a legend:

1. Benetton was led by Briatore
2. Ferrari was led by Todt, there was a reason Ferrari didn't choose Brawn to succceed him.
3. When he joined Honda in 2007(?), they were having a abysmal season in 2008. The only succes under his own command was due to the testing ban in combo with a glitch in the rule Matrix in 2009.
4. 2010 onwards was hopeless. He was a brilliant tactician, but he doesn't do that anymore. I've seen some odd tactics with Merc this and previous years. For example (knowing that your car eats tires for lunch) trying to one-stop Spa this year, one stop LESS than the others.
5. year-on-year: "the car next year will be better".

I consider him a brilliant tactician when he still did that, I don't consider him a great team manager though.

#39 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:06

I think Frank Williams is a legend...

Advertisement

#40 man

man

• 1,525 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:00

The Arrows from '87-'89 were pretty tidy too.

#41 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14

Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey is the two only true legends in F1 today like Colin Chapman,Ken Tyrrell,Ron Dennis and Frank Williams was.
But i think Merc should start winning soon if Ross is in the same leaugue as Newey and Chapman.

#42 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:26

Brawn is just a manager who is very astute.

Tauranac and Brabham etc are F1 team leader legends :up:

Somewhat unusually my post was correct :stoned:

Banking Mercedes' millions was very astute indeed. :)

Brawn, as a manager, certainly cannot seem to, as yet, correct the long-time substandard performance of BAR/Mercedes/Honda team. Whenever they have a very fast car, they cannot seem to understand why it is so, and repeat it.

Newey, on the other hand, can certainly join Tauranac as an all-time great racing car designer without debate. :)

#43 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51

If he turns Mercedes around then yes he's a legend. For me he needs to do this to be right up there

#44 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,315 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:02

Incredible how people can be so wrong.

Chapman and Ferrari were leaders, managers - Team Principles. Brawn has only ever been in that role at Brawn and Merc, and I wouldnt call Merc a success.

Edited by Burtros, 06 December 2012 - 13:02.

#45 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:34

All hail Franz Tost. Every year - "Lets get rid of these two useless monkeys" - LEGEND!!

#46 readonly

readonly

• 299 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:08

For me he is exactly the OPPOSITE of a legend.

I can only recall that he was cought cheatting with Brawn GP the same year he won the titles. He had no success even with the huge support of Honda (where he was not allowed to cheat). But I admit he is a clever guy able to cheat wothout being cought or by making an agreement with the authoritie (BE, MM). For me, he cheatted at Benetton which forced MS to take him to Ferrari (otherwise MS would not have been so successful) so he cheatted too at Ferrari. He was clever enough to fool Rubens and make him think he was not better than MS when MS had the cheatting car all the time and then, at BGP, Rubens was cheatted again in 2009 to gift Jenson the championship.

So, NO, for me Ross Brawn is a sinonym of CHEAT. Clever, but a total cheatter.

If he has any success with Lewis next year I will think he simply got the permission of the FIA and BE to cheat again.

#47 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:15

Incredible how people can be so wrong.

Chapman and Ferrari were leaders, managers - Team Principles. Brawn has only ever been in that role at Brawn and Merc, and I wouldnt call Merc a success.

The legend of Ross is one of the more pathetic myths currently enduring in F1 these days.

Here's a guy who was MrM's machinist at Bicester back in the March days.

It should have become abundantly clear with this Merc stint that he has no idea how to run a team, and has no technical knowledge of value whatsoever. Yet people still think he does.

He has achieved nothing as a team principal. Brawn GP doesn't count as he took over a car and team, for which he had no responsibility in building. Honda made that car possible, not Ross.

#48 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:34

Tend to agree with you.
In his successful days he had Rory Byrne, a genius like Newey, designing fast cars. And Jean Todt pulling the whole team.
And 2009 was a lucky shot...never came close again even with lots of money.

I always thought he was very good at strategies, but the Mercedes years so far didn't even confirm this.
No way a legend, I rate him mediocre at best.

Peter Sauber is way ahead...

#49 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:06

All hail Franz Tost. Every year - "Lets get rid of these two useless monkeys" - LEGEND!!

Franz Tost Forever! :clap:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#50 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:04

Brawn has very much the same sort of approach as in days gone bye Tony Rudd and later Patrick Head had all three exhibit truck loads of good old fashioned common sense, with a calm management style and ability to spot any opportunity.

It remains to be seen if he cam pull his team up to be consistent front runners, the win for Brawn GP was in truth all down to the double diffuser not getting banned, but for Mercedes GP in the post the Schumacher era the future could well be stellar.