Photo

Your own top 10 of F1 this decade

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:01

With the official AUTOSPORT F1 Top 10 due tomorrow, I'd like you to make your own lists for this decade over the 10 greatest drivers. Here's mine:

Those who just misses out:
Juan Pablo Montoya is arguably the greatest waste of talent in F1 history. As sublime he could be on his on-days, as shockingly bad could he be when he wasn't on it. During his first four years he was paired with Ralf Schumacher, and say what you like about Ralf, but he failed miserably against Trulli in Toyota, so he can't be included either. What causes Montoya to miss out was they way he got beaten by Räikkönen in McLaren. His seven poles in 2002 was largely down to the qualifying tyres Michelin had got.

Trulli and Fisichella misses out due to their inconsistency (even though Fisi was top 6 between 2000-2004), while Ralf had his marvellous car with Williams, and failed to make full use of it. Heidfeld never won a race, while Kubica simply didn't show enough. Mark Webber beat Coulthard, but I can't really judge him...

10, David Coulthard
The Scot had a tremendous 2000 season, where he appeared to be able to challenge for the world title, until he fell off the pace in spectacular fashion. He was in the thick of the title hunt during the beginning of the 2001 season, until his Monaco weekend went awry on the starting grid. After that, DC never looked the same as he'd done in the 1.5 years before, and even though he convincingly beat Mika Häkkinen in the championship, he'd never earn himself a shot at the title. A Monaco win in 2002 and a bit of a 'fluke' at Melbourne in 2003 took him to the impressive tally of 13, but the fact that he was outqualified by all team-mates he had (bar Klien), makes it hard to justify a higher position.

9, Rubens Barrichello
Barrichello was basically level with Coulthard in what he did this decade. Paired with one of the greatest drivers ever in the early six years of the millennium, he managed to occasionally beat Schumacher on raw pace. The problem was that he didn't do it often enough to save his reputation as a top F1 driver by his own rights. He scored the runner-up spot twice, and finished third in the WDC twice as well, but of course he was beaten to six world titles by a drive rin the same car. Raw statistics ensure his place on this list, however.

8, Sebastian Vettel
Occasionally brilliant, occasionally making shocking mistakes, Vettel has bursted onto the scene as a breath of fresh air in the latter parts of the decade. One of the most inconsistent drivers seen for a long time, Vettel basically had his racing education in F1 races. If he just hones his considerable skill, he could very well be #1 on a similar list in ten years. Such is the raw talent, he just needs to access it more regularly.

7, Jenson Button
Had I done this list in 2008, he'd been out of it. This year, he showed that he has the skill to bring home a dominant car in one piece and make the most of it, unlike Vettel and Barrichello. Since he wasn't up against a superstar driver for the title, and was outqualified by an ageing Barrichello, I have my doubts about him. His BAR days were hard to judge as well, given that he had a disilliusionised Villeneuve and a ragged mediocre companion in Sato. 2010 will be the acid test, but I reckon he'll lose out to Lewis.

6, Mika Häkkinen
In overall skill, he's number two on such a list, but in his two swansong years he puzzled a whole lot of people. In 2000, he had a few races where he was vintage Mika just as usual, and then he fell asleep during summer, before coming back on song during the second half, scoring six podiums on the trot, even snatching away Schumacher's title lead. Then he failed to get the upper hand on Michael during the final rounds, before bowing out after a lacklustre 2001. He did three amazing performances then, however, and it's mainly a lack of races that fails him getting into the top 5 for this decade.

5, Felipe Massa
Not a champion, but the heart of Ferrari, and a champion to the Brazilian people. Somehow Massa has managed to grow from a talented but erratic driver, to a driver capable of scoring more points than Kimi Räikkönen in their 44 races together in Ferrari. Have often had to defy odds to get somewhere, and was the only F1 driver seriously close to dying in this particular decade. His determination to come back in the car so quickly shows his love for the sport and Ferrari, and as has been pointed out by Damon Hill, he'd walk over burning coles to win the title. Determination beats class, so over to you Kimi.

4, Kimi Räikkönen
Suffered during in his career with not wanting to access his outer limits enough, relying almost too much on natural talent. Almost wrenched the title in an uncompetitive McLaren in 2003, and his defeat of Montoya that year remains one of the greatest achievements this sport has ever seen. When Montoya joined him at McLaren, he showed just why Williams didn't protest getting rid of the Colombian, and sent Montoya to the USA's speedways instead. Being cherry-picked by Ferrari to replace Schumacher was a challenge he wasn't up to. Either Massa was tremendous, Montoya and DC horrifyingly bad, or maybe it was the tyres. No matter the excuses, Kimi won the 2007 title due to a miracle happening, then failed to beat Massa at all before July 25 2009. From that day onward he almost single-handedly guided Ferrari to third in the WCC, but he was already on his way out. His enigma will remain, as will his legend.

3, Lewis Hamilton
Say what you like about Lewis, but you can't fail to have an opinion on him and the way he goes racing. Breaking the race-barrier in F1, he managed to win lots of fans following four victories in his debut season. That he ended up in the Chinese kitty litter costed him the title that year, and he considerably choked under the pressure, having offs in his final three races of the season. Having woved to come back stronger in 2008, he then obliterated the field each time he won, but the problem was that he was in the stewards' room or off the track at quite many occasions as well. In the end, the Lady of Luck played in his favour in the finale, and his face spoke more of relief than happiness. Forget Liegate now, 2009 was his best year yet. When he was handed a half-decent car he showed the 'top drivers' of 2009 how it should be done. Will turn 25 in a week, and therefore has lots of years left.

2, Fernando Alonso
Aged just 28, Alonso has had a remarkable impact on the sport. He broke most youngest-driver records in his initial foray with Renault, and most importantly he mirrored Schumacher's achievments from the mid 90's by doing the same thing in the mid-noughties. Tarnished his own reputation in disastrous McLaren spell, but still came within a couple of points from a hat-trick. Famous for inspiring team-members and for his strategic nouse inside the race car, Alonso then returned to Renault, and faced lots of difficulties, and grew up as a man. Say what you like about Singapore, the fact is that he was just as fast as anyone out there, and in Japan he outfoxed the entire BMW team by himself. In 2009 he kept his head high, safe in the knowledge that he'll arrive at Ferrari in 2010. Watch this space, if it goes well he could very well be compared with Senna in ten years time.

1, Michael Schumacher
What the red devil managed to achieve during his Ferrari days defies belief. In his five title-winning years of the noughties, Schumacher amassed around 600 points, 48 wins and even 40 poles. And people say he couldn't qualify? Whatever he does with Mercedes, it won't disort his legacy he left during the noughties, where he reaped the rewards for his years of hard work in the late 90's. His sometimes less than sporting tactics, and Ferrari's close relationship with the governing body left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Rascassegate threatened to put eleven hard years of work in the shade, but he bowed out of his Ferrari career on a high with some remarkable performances. The question is, will we ever see such hights from a racing driver ever again?

Advertisement

#2 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:06

Häkkinen 6? ... :drunk:

#3 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:09

Häkkinen 6? ... :drunk:

For THIS decade. He raced two seasons, and although he won six races, he finished miles behind DC in the second year. In the 1990's he'd been third or fourth.

#4 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:11

For THIS decade. He raced two seasons, and although he won six races, he finished miles behind DC in the second year. In the 1990's he'd been third or fourth.

I meant he shouldn't even be on the list .. He will not be on mine..

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:23

We've done this thread before two months ago: http://forums.autosp...p;hl=top decade

And this was my answer:

Made it as a top 20:

1 Michael Schumacher
2 Fernando Alonso
3 Lewis Hamilton
4 Kimi Raikkonen
5 Mika Hakkinen
6 Felipe Massa
7 Jenson Button
8 Sebastian Vettel
9 Juan Pablo Montoya
10 Robert Kubica
11 Mark Webber
12 Rubens Barrichello
13 David Coulthard
14 Ralf Schumacher
15 Nick Heidfeld
16 Jarno Trulli
17 Giancarlo Fisichella
18 Jacques Villeneuve
19 Nico Rosberg
20 Timo Glock

It gets harder and harder the more you go downwards in these rankings. Frentzen, Sutil and Kovalainen almost made the list.

#6 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:27

I pretty much agree with your top four but after that... there are too many drivers of similar ability. Maybe if I have a five-way tie for fifth and a ten-way tie for tenth?

I think people like Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Nick Heidfeld, Mark Webber and Robert Kubica have as good a claim as most, even if they didn't usually have the cars, and I'd have to include Montoya. When he was good he was marvellous. And Ralf, Trulli, Fisi were, I think, much the same as DC or Rubens. Villeneuve started the decade in superb form and his later races weren't as poor as some want to think.

Edited by santori, 30 December 2009 - 20:36.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:28

I meant he shouldn't even be on the list .. He will not be on mine..

His 2000 season was so good he deserves a very high spot for it alone IMO.

#8 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:32

We've done this thread before two months ago: http://forums.autosp...p;hl=top decade

And this was my answer:

Mid-season aren't good times making ranking lists  ;) But we seem to have a similar view.

#9 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:32

His 2000 season was so good he deserves a very high spot for it alone IMO.

:up:
MH met MS at his peak and kept him very, very honest.

#10 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:34

1 year out of 10? .. Mikka deserves a place in the top drivers of the 90's..

#11 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:38

Montoya
Alonso
Schumacher
Kimi
Massa
Lewis

let me update my list from last time..
1.JPM
2.Alonso
3.MS
4.Kimi
5.LH (swap with Massa, mostly because his two wins and poles this year)
6.Massa
7.Kubica
8. Button
9.Vettel
10. Heidfeld

Edited by BMW_F1, 30 December 2009 - 20:47.

#12 Phoenixx

Phoenixx

• 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:40

My personal Top 10:

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Kimi Räikkönen
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Felipe Massa
6. Sebastian Vettel
7. Juan Pablo Montoya
8. Ralf Schumacher
9. David Coulthard
10. Rubens Barrichello

Edited by Phoenixx, 30 December 2009 - 20:41.

#13 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:42

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Juan Pablo Montoya
5. Kimi Raikkonen
6. Jenson Button
7. Rubens Barrichello
8. Felipe Massa
9. Ralf Schumacher
10. David Coulthard

#14 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:01

1. Michael
2. Fernando
3. Kimi
4. Lewis
5. Jenson
6. Felipe
7. Mika
8. David
9. Sebstian
10. Rubens

:cool:

Edited by Mungo Fangio of the Year, 30 December 2009 - 21:02.

#15 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:10

1. Michael
2. Fernando
3. Kimi
4. Lewis
5. Jenson
6. Felipe
7. Mika
8. David
9. Sebstian
10. Rubens

:cool:

Put Rubens at 8, Vettel at 10 and DC at 9 and that's mine

#16 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:14

1. M. Schumacher
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton/Raikkonen
4. Barrichello/Button/Coulthard/Fisichella/Frentzen/Hakkinen/Heidfeld/Kubica/Massa/Montoya/R. Schumacher/Trulli/Vettel/Villeneuve/Webber (alphabetical order)

#17 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:46

Interesting to see, that everyone bar BMW F1 appears to agree for most of the podium :smoking:

#18 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:48

1. M.Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. JP Montoya
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Sebastian Vettel
6. HH Frentzen
7. Kimi Raikkonen
8. Filipe Massa
9. Jacques Villeneuve
10. Jenson Button

Edited by BuzzingHornet, 30 December 2009 - 21:49.

#19 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:49

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Jenson Button
6. Rubens Barrichello
7. JP Montoya
8. Felipe Massa
9. Sebastian Vettel
10. No idea (can think of a 1000 drivers who would fit here)

Top 2 is obvious, then it's a little bit harder, Kimi is megaquick but definitely is not as ambitious as Lewis or Fernando, but at the moment he has achieved more than Lewis although we all know Lewis is gonna be a multiple world champion. Button is there because to be WC you gotta have something, and Rubens has delivered for so many years, even though he's never clinched the title, remember last year getting a podium for Honda!!!, after those you have Montoya and Massa, probably Massa will be WC in the future, and Seb is a future WC but too young to be on the top right now.

s!

Advertisement

#20 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:50

Should we rate the drivers' performance in the last 10 years or should we rate the driver who competed in the last 10 years when he was at his best?

#21 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:54

Should we rate the drivers' performance in the last 10 years or should we rate the driver who competed in the last 10 years when he was at his best?

Last ten years... otherwise Mäkinen wouldn't have been 10:th on the WRC list  ;)

#22 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:55

Slightly offhand choice for the moment:

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Kimi Raikkonen
5. Sebastian Vettel
6. Mika Hakkinen
7. Felipe Massa
8. Juan Pablo Montoya
9. Jenson Button
10. Robert Kubica
(11. Rubens Barrichello)

#23 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:06

Interesting to see, that everyone bar BMW F1 appears to agree for most of the podium :smoking:

huh? .. almost everyone has MS and Fernando in their top 3 just like me.. - the trend I see here is that these 2 are undisputed..

some have Lewis as 3rd.. Kimi and someone else besides me has JPM in the podium as well..

The reason I don't include Rubens/DC in my top ten list when most have is because if I was ever given the choice of picking these two drivers to drive for my team I would never have gone with them over Nick/Kubica/Heidfeld or Vettel..

Edited by BMW_F1, 30 December 2009 - 22:09.

#24 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:09

Mika's 2001 season certainly wasn't as good as 2000 (when was clearly top-2) but he was desperately unlucky at times that year. He was completely winning in Spain when his car let him down and he didn't even get off the starting grid in Brazil, Austria and France.....
He had 8 DNFs due to mechanical failure that year against 4 for DC.

#25 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:09

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Felipe Massa
6. Jenson Button
7. Juan Pablo Montoya
8. Sebastian Vettel
9. Rubens Barrichello
10. Mika Hakkinen

I don't understand why some people have put Frentzen in their top 10. :confused:

#26 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:10

1. M. Schumacher
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton
4. Raikkonen
5. Hakkinen
6. Montoya
7. Button
8. Massa
9. Barrichello
10. Coulthard

#27 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:29

With the official AUTOSPORT F1 Top 10 due tomorrow, I'd like you to make your own lists for this decade over the 10 greatest drivers. Here's mine:

Those who just misses out:
Juan Pablo Montoya is arguably the greatest waste of talent in F1 history. As sublime he could be on his on-days, as shockingly bad could he be when he wasn't on it. During his first four years he was paired with Ralf Schumacher, and say what you like about Ralf, but he failed miserably against Trulli in Toyota, so he can't be included either. What causes Montoya to miss out was they way he got beaten by Räikkönen in McLaren. His seven poles in 2002 was largely down to the qualifying tyres Michelin had got.

Trulli and Fisichella misses out due to their inconsistency (even though Fisi was top 6 between 2000-2004), while Ralf had his marvellous car with Williams, and failed to make full use of it. Heidfeld never won a race, while Kubica simply didn't show enough. Mark Webber beat Coulthard, but I can't really judge him...

I'm not sure there is much fact behind the notion that Ralf failed miserably against Trulli, especially when Trulli only out-pointed him in their final season together, 8 to 5. Ralf finished ahead of him the previous two seasons. Perhaps Ralf's reported salary is what colours the negative judgement towards him from most.

As for Montoya at McLaren, he spent most of his first season injured, and in his second had lost all motivation altogether as the focus of the team was on convincing Kimi to remain in the one free seat. As for the Michelin qualifying tyres (there were no qualifying tyres), Montoya wasn't the only guy running on them. With this in mind, together with the fact that he beat Ralf, who beat Trulli (who was beating Alonso before being sacked), Montoya goes on my list. With a different approach he could have done a whole lot better, but his erratic form is still good enough to put him in the top 10.

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:35

10 - Montoya - stayed for a very short time, but left his mark in the decade. Lot's of unfulfilled potential though;
09 - Kubica - retired JV, had no business in the 2008 WDC battle and gave BMW their lone win.
08 - Vettel - so premature, fast and impressive. He's something huge in the making;
07 - Button - he had 1 shot at the title and nailed it. Doesn't matter the dircumstances, he's a WDC;
06 - Hakkinen - drove for two seasons only, but it was enough to drive Schumacher to his limit, thus to his absolute peak. Had some great races along the way and left a void in the paddock with his abscence;
05 - Massa - Schumacher's protege, once fast and erratic, now fast and reliable. Surprised the vast majority by standing hiw own against Raikkonen, suffered the most cruel WDC defeat;
04 - Raikkonen - got a title and many wins, lost so many more through no fault of his own. Probably the fastest and most talented guy to make it to the grid this decade, but there was always a missing piece that prevented him from achieving full domination;
03 - Alonso - a complete package; fast, consistent and determined. Can beat anyone on his day and seemed unstoppable until a certain Hamilton came his way. Now at Ferrari, it'seither mame or break time;
02 - Hamilton - 3 seasons only and on a huge rollercoaster, got a title, lost another and suffered a very frustrating season. Nobody ever went so quickly through all the thrills of F1. The potential for domination is there, just needs to iron out his mistakes and hope McLaren get it right more often thas not. Has certianly had the greatest impact of all the rookies of the decade;
01 - Schumacher. 5 WDCS, dozens of wins, absolute records... Needs no explaining, really.

Edited by Atreiu, 30 December 2009 - 22:37.

#29 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:37

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Kimi Raikkonen
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Felipe Massa
5. Sebastian Vettel
6. Jarno Trulli
7. Juan Pablo Montoya
8. Jenson Button
9. Robert Kubica
10. Rubens Barrichello

DQ. Michael Schumacher

#30 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:47

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Kimi Raikkonen
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Felipe Massa
5. Sebastian Vettel
6. Jarno Trulli
7. Juan Pablo Montoya
8. Jenson Button
9. Robert Kubica
10. Rubens Barrichello

DQ. Michael Schumacher

I respect your opinion but how the hell anyone can have Trulli above Jenson, Montoya and Rubens is strange

#31 Adie

Adie

• 80 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:53

I can't see why Massa's placed so highly in all of these?!

#32 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:06

I respect your opinion but how the hell anyone can have Trulli above Jenson, Montoya and Rubens is strange

Well I wonder how Jarno's career would have gone if he hadn't had Flav in it, hadn't gone to the Toy graveyard.

Jense, we're about to find out he's Kovy level IMO. A touch faster in an ideal car, a bit worse at setup and a lot weaker in the head.
JPM just had the wrong temperament.
Rubens is a no2.

#33 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:11

Well I wonder how Jarno's career would have gone if he hadn't had Flav in it, hadn't gone to the Toy graveyard.

Jense, we're about to find out he's Kovy level IMO. A touch faster in an ideal car, a bit worse at setup and a lot weaker in the head.
JPM just had the wrong temperament.

and it looks like you never saw him turn the wheel of an f1 car between 2001 and 2005 in order to suggest that trulli was a better driver.

#34 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:20

and it looks like you never saw him turn the wheel of an f1 car between 2001 and 2005 in order to suggest that trulli was a better driver.

Ah, BMW F1 :wave:

If it was a list by talent JPM would have been near the top.

#35 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:23

Ah, BMW F1 :wave:

If it was a list by talent JPM would have been near the top.

what ever criteria you are using that rating does not sound reasonable..?

#36 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:26

What part of "this decade" is too difficult for you to understand?

I missed read the post, but kindly go **** off, I've had enough of the little digs.

#37 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:27

1. Räikkönen
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Schumacher
5. Massa
6. Hamilton
7. Kubica
8. Coulthard
9. Button
10. Häkkinen

#38 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:31

what ever criteria you are using that rating does not sound reasonable..?

Well I liked JPM, he was totally watchable, fast, great overtaker. But it's a team sport and he didn't have the temperament to get on with his team. And didn't want to be that disciplined either, part of the same thing I suppose. Great driver, but in F1 a square peg in a round hole. He's not the first to have found F1 a bit restrictive and lacking in fun. Didn't work out, that's all.

#39 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:38

:up:
MH met MS at his peak and kept him very, very honest.

I think the McLarens at the time had alot to do with keeping MS honest...

Advertisement

#40 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:40

So many people here that started watching F1 three years ago? Hamilton and Vettel shouldn't be that high

1. Schumacher - unquestionable (5 WDCs...)
2. Alonso
3. Raikonnen
4. Montoya
5. Hamilton
6. Hakkinen
7. Button
8. Massa
9. Frentzen
10. Vettel

#41 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 23:58

So many people here that started watching F1 three years ago? Hamilton and Vettel shouldn't be that high

1. Schumacher - unquestionable (5 WDCs...)
2. Alonso
3. Raikonnen
4. Montoya
5. Hamilton
6. Hakkinen
7. Button
8. Massa
9. Frentzen
10. Vettel

I've watched F1 since the early 90s and my belief is that the current field is better than the field in the beginning of the decade, hence why I rate Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica, etc high.

I don't understand why HHF would make it to the list. Frankly I remember little from what happened the midfield in the beginning of the decade, but HHF's truly great season was in 99. Don't think he did anything remarkable from 2000 onwards, I mean even Coulthard genuinely challenged for a championship, Rubens almost did this year, even Villeneuve looked mega in the slow BARs, Fisi was mega in the Sauber, Webber was quite quick in anything throughout the decade, etc etc. You'd have to place a long queue of guys like them higher than HHF...

Montoya I think some people rate on the basis of how exciting he was (surely #1 of the decade on that criteria!!), rather than how high he performed. He did challenge for a championship and got a bunch of wins, but against team-mates all he did was to beat Ralf by a small margin, and trouble Kimi in the odd other race. Surely good enough for a mention, but never top 4 - even folks like Button were more consistent.

Edited by paranoik0, 31 December 2009 - 00:00.

#42 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:06

I missed read the post, but kindly go **** off, I've had enough of the little digs.

Not a problem dude and no reason to spout vulgarity in asterisks, just think before you hit the submit button in future. :lol:

Anyway on-topic, there seems to be consensus about Big Schumi leading the top 10 of this decade but what would be needed for him to be the driver of the next decade as well?
I'd say 1 or 2 WDCs with the real Silver Arrows would make him definitely the greatest ever.

Edited by JPW, 31 December 2009 - 00:07.

#43 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:09

We're judging the entire decade, yet Vettel ahead of Webber?

get real.

Webber's been a stellar performer going all the way back to 2002 in the Minardi, and if not for car reliability issues would have a much better record of achievement.

#44 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:31

Well I liked JPM, he was totally watchable, fast, great overtaker. But it's a team sport and he didn't have the temperament to get on with his team. And didn't want to be that disciplined either, part of the same thing I suppose. Great driver, but in F1 a square peg in a round hole. He's not the first to have found F1 a bit restrictive and lacking in fun. Didn't work out, that's all.

The same thing can be said about Alonso who after all refused to make things work with mclaren.. yet that hasn't put a dent in his reputation of being considered the best overall driver in F1..
Montoya got along fine with Frank and Pat, it was Sam the one he could not stand and that was because he was Ralf's lap dog so that was understandable.. Frank was actually very sad to see him go and the team even gave him the car he won the Brazilian 2004 GP with as a go away present to show their appreciation which is something you don't get to see quite often.. with mclaren it was all about the stupid Tennis accident which Ron was never able to put behind and other crap that I am not even going to get into because is way OT..

To go back to the comparison with Trulli..and put things into perspective.. Montoya's rookie season of 2001 with 1 win (could have been 3 but had bad luck in 2), three 2nd places, 3 fastest laps and 3 poles was better than anything Trulli has shown us in 13 full seasons..

Edited by BMW_F1, 31 December 2009 - 00:32.

#45 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:12

1. M. Schumacher
2. Alonso
3. Raikkonen
4. Button
5. Hamilton (only did 3 years)
6. Montoya
7. Hakkinen (for 2000 alone)
8. Massa
9. Vettel (same as Hamilton)
10. Barrichello/Coulthard/Webber (can't seperate them)

Edited by Brawn BGP 001, 31 December 2009 - 02:13.

#46 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:00

So far applying the 2003-2009 F1 points system it goes as following (I have excluded the solitary voter who had put like twenty drivers on fourth spot  ;) )

1, Michael Schumacher 141
2, Fernando Alonso 130
3, Lewis Hamilton 99
4, Kimi Räikkönen 96
5, Felipe Massa 45
6, Juan Pablo Montoya 41
7, Jenson Button 35
8, Mika Häkkinen 26
9, Sebastian Vettel 25
10, Rubens Barrichello 6
11, Robert Kubica 4
12=, Heinz-Harald Frentzen 3
12=, Jarno Trulli 3
14, David Coulthard 2
15, Ralf Schumacher 1

#47 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:12

Maybe:

EDIT: It's rubbish, isn't it? My list, I mean. But I don't think I can make a better one.

EDIT 2: It was rubbish.

One problem is that putting a driver four places in front of another makes it look like you think he's quite a bit better, whereas if you were giving them marks out of ten you'd be thinking something like 8.233245676 to 8.233245675.

Edited by santori, 01 January 2010 - 11:26.

#48 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:23

Who I'll remember from this decade:

1. MS
2. KR
3. JPM
4. FA
5. RB
6. JB
7. LH
8. FM
9. DC
10. NH

Hamilton is so low because he's only driven 3 seasons. He'll be a big part of the 'tennies' though :drunk:

#49 Markko

Markko

• 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:25

1. Alonso
2. Schumacher
3. Hamilton
4. Hakkinen
5. Raikkonen
6. Montoya
7. Button
8. Massa
9. Coulthard
10. Barrichello

#50 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:39

Hamilton only did three years in this decade, putting him as high as second is wierd.